Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,592 members, 7,823,576 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam (3870 Views)

Man Accused Of Withdrawing N45 Million Tells His side Of The Story / Scavengers Rape, Rob Female Banker In Abuja / 21-Year Old Student In EFCC Custody Over N20m Internet Love Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by AloyEmeka5: 11:58pm On Apr 05, 2010
Banker in EFCC custody over N45 million scam
Home | News | Crime/Legal | Banker in EFCC custody over N45 million scam
Font size: Published 05/04/2010 00:11:00 Edwin Olofu

The Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) has arrested a 40-year-old Afribank Plc official, Asmau A. Gaanda, who allegedly defrauded her bank to the tune of N44.5 million. The media head of the EFCC in Kano, Aroyehun Gbenga, who announced the arrest over the weekend, said the woman will soon be arraigned before a competent court of law in Kano.
Mr. Aroyehun said Mrs. Gaanda’s confessional statement included how, in one instance, she claimed to have handed out N13.4million to an unknown person as loan.
“She said she could not recognise the man, as he did not present any identification card at the point of payment. People may wonder what has happened to the customer procedure, the Regis Cope, and other measures that are required before customers make such large withdrawals.”
The EFCC official said the branch’s internal control mechanism completely broke down and staff routinely violated procedures. The accused, he said, did whatever she liked with customers accounts, including crediting one with the fund of another in order to perpetuate fraud. She also allegedly credited customers accounts without physical cash backing. This is known in the industry as ‘dry posting’.
“This is just the tip of iceberg of fraud perpetrated by Mrs. Gaanda and her co-conspirators in three branches of Afribank,” Mr. Aroyehun further said. “Investigation revealed that the fraud was committed over a long time without detection by the management of the bank and total amount involved is a whopping forty-four million, five-hundred and thirty-seven thousand, ninety-seven naira (N44,537,337,97k).

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=News-images/banker_854378615.jpg&size=article_small[/img]

“The thirteen million she allegedly gave to the unknown person came through seven accounts from which she made equally fraudulent withdrawals. The accounts were 058080483414 - N3,310,000.00; 0580805371419 - N1.5m; 0580806436417 -N1.7m; 0580807482412 - N3.6m; 058082602417 - N3m; 0580804703418 -N702, 000.00; Alarams - N1, 290.000.00. All these accounts were opened at the Kanti Kwari Market in Kano and the suspect was the Head of Traffic, a position that gave her the opportunity to open those accounts and withdrew money from them at will.”

Living above means
She was also accused of making withdrawals from several customers deposits; either alone or in collusion with other suspects such as Umar Garki, Maigeri Barde Adamu, and Maikudi Abba. Nine customers were involved in this scheming.
“Moreover, the suspects also practised fraudulent under-packaging of bundles of naira. For instance, they embedded N200 notes in N1000.00 and mixed N50 notes with packets of N100 bills,” the EFCC official said. “She stole customer’s chequebooks, forged their signatures, and withdrew money from their accounts without their knowledge. A case is the fraudulent withdrawal of N13. 912.000 from one account. In another case, she forged withdrawal slip of another customer and took N3.5m.
“The bank vault did not escape the itchy hands of this woman: she took money from it without authorisation, and whenever she needed it. Sometimes, she graciously put IOU notes there and even encouraged her co- conspirators to do it. The IOU notes depleted the vault to the tune of N6m.”
Mr. Aroyehun of the EFCC said he will soon charge Mrs. Gaanda to court for conspiracy, theft, forgery, and obtaining money by false pretence.
“This 40-year-old woman depicts the level of rot in the banking system, especially the non-observance of internal control mechanism and lack of thorough supervision,” he said. “A more fundamental issue is the infiltration of the banking system by rogues and fraudsters and the need for the subsector to do background checks on would-be employees. It also needs to quickly respond to early warning symptoms like employees living above their means.”

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/crime/5230-Banker-EFCC-custody-over-N45-million-scam.html
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by mamagee3(f): 1:10am On Apr 06, 2010
Looks like EFCC are doing more work than the so called Policemen. grin
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Shaunscot(m): 11:21am On Apr 06, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Banker in EFCC custody over N45 million scam
Home | News | Crime/Legal | Banker in EFCC custody over N45 million scam
Font size: Published 05/04/2010 00:11:00 Edwin Olofu

The Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC) has arrested a 40-year-old Afribank Plc official, Asmau A. Gaanda, who allegedly defrauded her bank to the tune of N44.5 million. The media head of the EFCC in Kano, Aroyehun Gbenga, who announced the arrest over the weekend, said the woman will soon be arraigned before a competent court of law in Kano.
Mr. Aroyehun said Mrs. Gaanda’s confessional statement included how, in one instance, she claimed to have handed out N13.4million to an unknown person as loan.
“She said she could not recognise the man, as he did not present any identification card at the point of payment. People may wonder what has happened to the customer procedure, the Regis Cope, and other measures that are required before customers make such large withdrawals.”
The EFCC official said the branch’s internal control mechanism completely broke down and staff routinely violated procedures. The accused, he said, did whatever she liked with customers accounts, including crediting one with the fund of another in order to perpetuate fraud. She also allegedly credited customers accounts without physical cash backing. This is known in the industry as ‘dry posting’.
“This is just the tip of iceberg of fraud perpetrated by Mrs. Gaanda and her co-conspirators in three branches of Afribank,” Mr. Aroyehun further said. “Investigation revealed that the fraud was committed over a long time without detection by the management of the bank and total amount involved is a whopping forty-four million, five-hundred and thirty-seven thousand, ninety-seven naira (N44,537,337,97k).

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=News-images/banker_854378615.jpg&size=article_small[/img]

“The thirteen million she allegedly gave to the unknown person came through seven accounts from which she made equally fraudulent withdrawals. The accounts were 058080483414 - N3,310,000.00; 0580805371419 - N1.5m; 0580806436417 -N1.7m; 0580807482412 - N3.6m; 058082602417 - N3m; 0580804703418 -N702, 000.00; Alarams - N1, 290.000.00. All these accounts were opened at the Kanti Kwari Market in Kano and the suspect was the Head of Traffic, a position that gave her the opportunity to open those accounts and withdrew money from them at will.”

Living above means
She was also accused of making withdrawals from several customers deposits; either alone or in collusion with other suspects such as Umar Garki, Maigeri Barde Adamu, and Maikudi Abba. Nine customers were involved in this scheming.
“Moreover, the suspects also practised fraudulent under-packaging of bundles of naira. For instance, they embedded N200 notes in N1000.00 and mixed N50 notes with packets of N100 bills,” the EFCC official said. “She stole customer’s chequebooks, forged their signatures, and withdrew money from their accounts without their knowledge. A case is the fraudulent withdrawal of N13. 912.000 from one account. In another case, she forged withdrawal slip of another customer and took N3.5m.
“The bank vault did not escape the itchy hands of this woman: she took money from it without authorisation, and whenever she needed it. Sometimes, she graciously put IOU notes there and even encouraged her co- conspirators to do it. The IOU notes depleted the vault to the tune of N6m.”
Mr. Aroyehun of the EFCC said he will soon charge Mrs. Gaanda to court for conspiracy, theft, forgery, and obtaining money by false pretence.
“This 40-year-old woman depicts the level of rot in the banking system, especially the non-observance of internal control mechanism and lack of thorough supervision,” he said. “A more fundamental issue is the infiltration of the banking system by rogues and fraudsters and the need for the subsector to do background checks on would-be employees. It also needs to quickly respond to early warning symptoms like employees living above their means.”

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/crime/5230-Banker-EFCC-custody-over-N45-million-scam.html

Whatever happened to control and audit.
Are these not the checks and balances put in place for scenerios like this?
Some people need to lose their jobs over this and deservedly so.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Spyker: 11:28am On Apr 06, 2010
EFCC always parade people, what has happened to "not guilty until proven guilty by a competent court". I am not in support of fraud but i am not also supporting the EFCC style of publishing this type of case without having a conviction. They continue this attitude for publicity at the detriment of the accused. If eventually the woman is guilty, how will they remedies her battered image?
EFCC should do their job and get convictions before going public. When we begin to hear only convicted persons (not suspects), then we know that the fight against corruption is not selective and is working. For now, i will talk this as one of the many EFCC publicity schemes.

I think the bank has failed in their jobs if the EFCC should be doing their job now. What has gone wrong with the banking ethics?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Spyker: 11:29am On Apr 06, 2010
Spyker:

EFCC always parade people, what has happened to "not guilty until proven guilty by a competent court". I am not in support of fraud but i am not also supporting the EFCC style of publishing this type of case without having a conviction. They continue this attitude for publicity at the detriment of the accused. If eventually the woman is not guilty, how will they remedies her battered image?
EFCC should do their job and get convictions before going public. When we begin to hear only convicted persons (not suspects), then we know that the fight against corruption is not selective and is working. For now, i will talk this as one of the many EFCC publicity schemes.

I think the bank has failed in their jobs if the EFCC should be doing their job now. What has gone wrong with the banking ethics?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Drunk: 11:57am On Apr 06, 2010
Speechless
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by otokx(m): 12:06pm On Apr 06, 2010
Terribly discomfiting.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by spicyhoney(f): 12:17pm On Apr 06, 2010
From what I have learnt about banking, you cannot put IOU in a vault, IOU's are normally given to tellers and not to the vault. I bet Afribank lacks checks and balances because one person should not go into the vault alone nor have the combinations to the vault's lock, should be two people; mostly the head of operations and the cash officer. I feel whatever had happened is as a result of the BACKWARD and inefficient banking done by Afribank. And what happened to their CCTV which is supposed to be viewed at all times
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by denzel2009: 12:24pm On Apr 06, 2010
This brings back IOU memories in Naija. At a point we had a tiny paper in the vault as IOU for $150,000,ofcourse by one of the bosses. Sh1t happens!
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 06, 2010
am lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 06, 2010
shocking,and to think she even wears veil. I thought those veil-wearers were holier than me!
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by hameet: 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2010
all these stupid married bankers(women). she must have used the money to entice a small guy by giving him all the luxury life can offer.idiot, that's how one stupid married banker took my school boyfriend from me.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by sayso: 1:59pm On Apr 06, 2010
am not advocating fraud but what about those with 45billion naira fraud?where are they,I will tell you,in the churches,clubs eating and dinning with EFCC agents.silly.EFCC my foot
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by spoilt(f): 3:16pm On Apr 06, 2010
I dont understand why they have to disclose the full account numbers she commited the frauds on. To encourage more fraud?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by larez(m): 5:16pm On Apr 06, 2010
spoilt:

I dont understand why they have to disclose the full account numbers she commited the frauds on. To encourage more fraud?

Makes no sense to me either. It must be some kind of code to the 419 boys that the accounts belong to crooked politicians. Who know?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Outstrip(f): 6:34pm On Apr 06, 2010
She will steal like a common thief but still make sure she ties her hair very tightly because God forbid she sinfully lets one hair stray from that pot she put on her head. The ones who carry religion on their head are usually the more hardened ones.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by bobokelly(m): 7:22pm On Apr 06, 2010
JESUS, this is ridiculous, she has a very strong mind
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by monaug5: 7:34pm On Apr 06, 2010
Too many scam artists around!
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by sulad82i(m): 9:49pm On Apr 06, 2010
How can these be going on for so long?
Her boss needs to be checked too cos this can't be going on under his nose for so long and claim he was not aware of it.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by BlakkBoi(m): 10:26pm On Apr 06, 2010
This one no be matter !!!!!.

Do you know how much EFCC and police take as bribes from criminals and sweep the matter under the carpet ?. Nothing is new to me in Nigeria, it was unfortunate Bode George decided to play drums instead of giving checks which later got him humiliated. Ibori was wiser and bought up the presidency with 4billion, atelast it granted him temporal reprieve.

Only the the common man is regarded as a criminal. Visit the EFFC office in Awolowo and demand that they arrest someone owing you 100k and see if the person won't spend atleast 2 weeks in their detention. It's funny. They will try everything to convict the person and add it to their list of secured convictions. The people they convict are small boys on the street, whom they are supposed to send for counselling or find a way to make them productive.

I refuse to be a victim.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Tarmpa: 10:43pm On Apr 06, 2010
spicyhoney:

How can you put IOU in a vault, IOU's are normally given to tellers and not to the vault. I bet Afribank lacks checks and balances because one person does not even go into the vault alone nor have the combinations to the vault's lock. Its usually two people mostly the head of operations and the cash officer. I feel whatever had happened is as a result of the BACKWARD and inefficient banking done by Afribank. And what happened to CCTV? which is supposed to be viewed at all time by the branch's resident auditor, branch leader and head of Operations. angry
Thank u very much!! U've said it all, I've nothing more to say, Hmn, what an operational lapse,
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Shola2009(m): 1:21am On Apr 07, 2010
IOU notes,
lmao!
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by AloyEmeka5: 1:32am On Apr 07, 2010
BlakkBoi:

This one no be matter !!!!!.

Do you know how much EFCC and police take as bribes from criminals and sweep the matter under the carpet ?. Nothing is new to me in Nigeria, it was unfortunate Bode George decided to play drums instead of giving checks which later got him humiliated. Ibori was wiser and bought up the presidency with 4billion, atelast it granted him temporal reprieve.

Only the the common man is regarded as a criminal. Visit the EFFC office in Awolowo and demand that they arrest someone owing you 100k and see if the person won't spend atleast 2 weeks in their detention. It's funny. They will try everything to convict the person and add it to their list of secured convictions. The people they convict are small boys on the street, whom they are supposed to send for counselling or find a way to make them productive.

I refuse to be a victim.

Have you given any of them bribes before?. How will you say this for a fact?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by AloyEmeka5: 1:33am On Apr 07, 2010
spicyhoney:

How can you put IOU in a vault, IOU's are normally given to tellers and not to the vault. I bet Afribank lacks checks and balances because one person does not even go into the vault alone nor have the combinations to the vault's lock. Its usually two people mostly the head of operations and the cash officer. I feel whatever had happened is as a result of the BACKWARD and inefficient banking done by Afribank. And what happened to CCTV? which is supposed to be viewed at all time by the branch's resident auditor, branch leader and head of Operations. angry

Nigerian banking system is so yesterday grin grin grin grin
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by harakiri(m): 4:00am On Apr 07, 2010
Bankers are now something else.The way they now dip their hands directly into customers money is alarming.Where is safe? Do people have to go to Togo or Ghana to lodge their checks? Just yesterday, someone who owes me a substantial sum of money got everything cleaned out from his account becoz his ATM got "stuck" at First bank the day before.Funny thing is, the bank said they could do nothing about it and his only way out is to file a complaint AT THEIR HEAD OFFICE!

Bankers are the real crooks these days. . .arm robbery and fraud all dressed up in suits!
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by larez(m): 4:56am On Apr 07, 2010
I have to say this. EcoBank stole N70,000.00 out of my account because of ATM. This happened after trying unsuccessfully at 3 different ATM locations that stalled when it was time to disburse funds. I finally got cash at an Ecobank ATM that Saturday. But guess what? When I noticed the issue, I went into the Bank, and they made printouts that showed "ATM transaction reversals". I thought that will end the issue, but these thieves claimed that "transaction reversals" were debits instead of credits. I even followed this up to their Head Office in V/I and they kept telling me that they will get back to me. After over a year of them stalling, I finally gave up. I got rid of their ATM card after that. These Banks are criminal organizations. I challenge any EcoBank top official to take this up with me. Damned criminals!!!
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Kx: 10:44am On Apr 07, 2010
Listen out for this woman's conviction and I bet,u'd wait for ever.
This publication is the end of the story.
The moment EFCC goes public,ppl should realise
that they mean their work has been concluded.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by Ninapha(f): 2:50pm On Apr 07, 2010
Quote from: spicyhoney on Yesterday at 12:17:56 PM
How can you put IOU in a vault, IOU's are normally given to tellers and not to the vault. I bet Afribank lacks checks and balances because one person does not even go into the vault alone nor have the combinations to the vault's lock. Its usually two people mostly the head of operations and the cash officer. I feel whatever had happened is as a result of the BACKWARD and inefficient banking done by Afribank. And what happened to CCTV? which is supposed to be viewed at all time by the branch's resident auditor, branch leader and head of Operations.

Nigerian banking system is so yesterday

What suprises me is the rationale behind the dropping of IOU notes in the vault, to make up the weight of the vaults or the cash content of the vault. And how come no one picks up the notes. Any banker in the house?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by pkoncept(m): 3:34pm On Apr 07, 2010
HAba bankers again? "well if oga they steal wetin pikin go do" they definitely see what is happening at the top and that is why those who have weak character follow suit. God will help us.
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by kufreabasi(m): 4:10pm On Apr 07, 2010
In Nigeria, with all these i think bank is no more a safest place to keep our mony. Is there any way out to this?
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by jokingmary(m): 9:02pm On Apr 07, 2010
shocked you mean a lady could do this shocked
Re: Banker In Efcc Custody Over N45 Million Scam by eros(m): 11:34pm On Apr 07, 2010
I am going to build me a vault in my house and stack all my cash in their. I am so over these suckers called bankers. tongue angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Four Young Boys Gang Rape A JSS2 Girl In Ghana / Father,friend Raped Daughter For Seven Years In Lagos / Person Can't Dress Fine Again (look At What A Soldier Did To Me)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.