Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament (438 Views)

It Is Not The Law Of Moses But God Himself That Tells Us To Give First Fruit / Yahweh(god) Of Old Testament Is Satan - Scriptural Proof Inside / Throw Your Bible Away If You Don't Believe In The Old Testament (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 1:12pm On Dec 31, 2017
...The works of the Mosaic Covenant was meant to be a guide that leads into grace. Grace is something so precious to God, something that He places so much value and as a result He has to go through a lot of preparation - making the ground ready for the advent of grace. Man had always been filled with pride; we exalt ourselves and think we are something more than what we really are. We think we can do anything, we think we have what it takes. God introduce works in order to prove to man that we are weak and we are desperately in need of His grace. God's grace is only revealed to the weak and we need to get to the point of weakness so that we can enjoy the reign of grace.
God asked man to meet an impossible standard in order to crush his pride. By the time we've tried and tried to obey the law and we keep failing then we would have to surrender and say "I can do nothing of my own, I don't have what it takes, and Im a total failure." Only when we come to this point can we truly embrace grace. In the book of Romans chapter seven Paul explained that before he knew the law he was never conscious of sin. But when he knew of the law he realizes he had been committing sin and he needs to stop. And when he tried to stop sinning he realizes he had been a slave of sin and he couldn't break free on his own. This made him to cry, "O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" (Rom. 7:24)...
Follow the link below to read the complete article:
http://www.hiswordxray.com/2017/12/the-purpose-of-law-of-old-testament.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by enilove(m): 1:33pm On Dec 31, 2017
Hiswordxray:
...The works of the Mosaic Covenant was meant to be a guide that leads into grace. Grace is something so precious to God, something that He places so much value and as a result He has to go through a lot of preparation - making the ground ready for the advent of grace. Man had always been filled with pride; we exalt ourselves and think we are something more than what we really are. We think we can do anything, we think we have what it takes. God introduce works in order to prove to man that we are weak and we are desperately in need of His grace. God's grace is only revealed to the weak and we need to get to the point of weakness so that we can enjoy the reign of grace.
God asked man to meet an impossible standard in order to crush his pride. By the time we've tried and tried to obey the law and we keep failing then we would have to surrender and say "I can do nothing of my own, I don't have what it takes, and Im a total failure." Only when we come to this point can we truly embrace grace. In the book of Romans chapter seven Paul explained that before he knew the law he was never conscious of sin. But when he knew of the law he realizes he had been committing sin and he needs to stop. And when he tried to stop sinning he realizes he had been a slave of sin and he couldn't break free on his own. This made him to cry, "O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" (Rom. 7:24)...
Follow the link below to read the complete article:
http://www.hiswordxray.com/2017/12/the-purpose-of-law-of-old-testament.html?m=1

The law was not giving to crush our pride.
God did not set the law as an impossible standard to bring in the grace.
The law was given to cleanse the Israelltes from generation to generation from evil in order to prepare for the coming of the messiah or Christ.

There were righteous people during the period of the laws :

Luke 1:5-6 KJV
There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. [6] And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by Hiswordxray(m): 1:40pm On Dec 31, 2017
enilove:

The law was given to cleanse the Israelltes from generation to generation from evil in order to prepare for the coming of the messiah or Christ.

There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. [6] And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

You are correct, the law was given to the children of Israel to cleans them and keep them holy until Jesus comes. Thank you for reminding us of that important point. However, that doesn't mean this post is incorrect. There are righteous people in Israel as well as self-righteous people. The law is meant to preserve the righteous and crush the pride of the self righteous.
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by enilove(m): 1:44pm On Dec 31, 2017
Hiswordxray:

You are correct, the law was given to the children of Israel to cleans them and keep them holy until Jesus comes. Thank you for reminding us of that important point. However, that doesn't mean this post is incorrect. There are righteous people in Israel as well as self-righteous people. The law is meant to preserve the righteous and crush the pride of the self righteous.

That is true.

Thanks for the correction.
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by ichuka(m): 3:56pm On Dec 31, 2017
enilove:

Luke5There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 6And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. 7And "THEY HAD NO CHILD ,BECAUSE ELISABETH WAS BARREN"and they both were now well stricken in years.
8And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 9According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. 10And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 11And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 12And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. 13But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. 14And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. 15For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. 16And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. 17And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

18And Zacharias said unto the angel,"WHEREBY SHALL I KNOW THIS?FOR AM AN OLD MAN,AND MY WIFE WELL STRICKEN INYEARS"19And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings. 20And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.
There's two issues with he's righteousness here.
1.He's wife was Barren.
2.He lacks faith.
In The above verses he's righteousness was outwardly in the sight of God.
An inward righteousness man before The Lord can never be barren or lack faith.
When The rich man met Christ,outwardly he has kept the law from his youth.but, inwardly there's something he can't keep which is impossible with man but possible with God(thats Grace)
We can't work ourselves into He's Kingdom.thats impossible with us.Matt19:16-30

1 Like

Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by enilove(m): 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
ichuka:

Luke5There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 6And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. 7And "THEY HAD NO CHILD ,BECAUSE ELISABETH WAS BARREN"and they both were now well stricken in years.
8And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, 9According to the custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. 10And the whole multitude of the people were praying without at the time of incense. 11And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense. 12And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. 13But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. 14And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. 15For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb. 16And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God. 17And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

18And Zacharias said unto the angel,"WHEREBY SHALL I KNOW THIS?FOR AM AN OLD MAN,AND MY WIFE WELL STRICKEN INYEARS"19And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings. 20And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.
There's two issues with he's righteousness here.
1.He's wife was Barren.
2.He lacks faith.
In The above verses he's righteousness was outwardly in the sight of God.
An inward righteousness man before The Lord can never be barren or lack faith.
When The rich man met Christ,outwardly he has kept the law from his youth.but, inwardly there's something he can't keep which is impossible with man but possible with God(thats Grace)
We can't work ourselves into He's Kingdom.thats impossible with us.Matt19:16-30

As for me , I don't add to the Bible or remove from it. The Bible did not say his righteousness was outward , it simply says ;
Luke 1:6 KJV
And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

They were righteous before God and not before men.
Abraham and Sarah doubted God in the area of child bearing but the Bible still calls him the father of faith.

Genesis 17:17 KJV
Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by MrPresident1: 6:19pm On Dec 31, 2017
We are still in the Old Testament, the Law of God, the Bible is not yet writtwn in our hearts, we have to read it always.

When Jesus returns, the Law of God will be written in our hearts.
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 31, 2017
[
quote author=enilove post=63768486]

I hope you know that pride is a sin.

Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

Proverbs 21:4 An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.

The law is actually to crush the pride of man by making u understand that you are unclean and totally unworthy before God.
Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Do you see that the reason for the law was to make everyone guilty before God.

if the law is not impossible standard, then why is it that it cannot justify anyone?
Name one soul who was justified by it? If the law could make a man clean, why do you even need grace

if the law could cleanse the Israelites why did they still need to offer sacrifice every year?
Which generation did d law cleanse?
Why did Paul say that no flesh can be justified by it?

Are you aware that almost everything done under the law was was with blood shedding why so?

Hebrews 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

what made them righteous faith or law?

Before Paul became bornagain, he counted was blameless regarding the righteousness of the law.
Yet Paul counted it as dung as comparing to the righteousness of Christ.
Do you know that in the old testament there was no everlasting righteousness.
So the righteousness that Zechariah and his wife Elisabeth was that of the law.

Righteousness can never come by the law.
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by enilove(m): 7:21pm On Dec 31, 2017
solite3:
[ I hope you know that pride is a sin.

Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

Proverbs 21:4 An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.

The law is actually to crush the pride of man by making u understand that you are unclean and totally unworthy before God.
Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Do you see that the reason for the law was to make everyone guilty before God.

if the law is not impossible standard, then why is it that it cannot justify anyone?
Name one soul who was justified by it? If the law could make a man clean, why do you even need grace

if the law could cleanse the Israelites why did they still need to offer sacrifice every year?
Which generation did d law cleanse?
Why did Paul say that no flesh can be justified by it?

Are you aware that almost everything done under the law was was with blood shedding why so?

Hebrews 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Hebrews 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

what made them righteous faith or law?

Before Paul became bornagain, he counted was blameless regarding the righteousness of the law.
Yet Paul counted it as dung as comparing to the righteousness of Christ.
Do you know that in the old testament there was no everlasting righteousness.
So the righteousness that Zechariah and his wife Elisabeth was that of the law.

Righteousness can never come by the law.

Are trying to write you own Bible?

The Bible says they were righteous, you are saying they were not righteous, do you know more than God that told us they were righteous?
As per the standard of the law , God told us they kept the laws and thereby righteous:

And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

They were blameless. They walked in the commandments and ordinances of the Lord.

Abraham and Lazarus were also righteous b4 God .

The point is that you understand only one part of the Bible .
The righteousness of Zacharias , Abraham, Lazarus etc could not take them to heaven , because Christ had not yet die for our sins . The inherited sins of Adam hindered them and others from proceeding beyond the earth. They were underneath the earth in a comfortable temporary place of rest.

The laws were meant to cleans Israel for the coming of the Son of God. It was a necessary stage of preparation for the Christ. That is why God did not tell them to spread their religion.

Jesus could have come b4 Moses or Immediately after Moses , if there was no reason for cleansing and sanctification .
Re: The Purpose Of The Law Of The Old Testament by ichuka(m): 9:03pm On Dec 31, 2017
enilove:

As for me , I don't add to the Bible or remove from it. The Bible did not say his righteousness was outward , it simply says ;

They were righteous before God and not before men.
Abraham and Sarah doubted God in the area of child bearing but the Bible still calls him the father of faith.

Genesis 17:17 KJV
Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?

And Luke1:7 said "BUT"his wife was "BARREN"
My question aga again is "HOW CAN A RIGHTEOUS MAN IN GODs SIGHT BE BARREN"?
Something must be wrong somewhere.either he's righteousness before God is incomplete or God isn't true with he's word.
The "BUT" in that verse has cannelled any atom of righteousness he has in Gods sight.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Necessary to Attend New Year's Service? / Register For TIMELESS WOMAN CONFERENCE 2018 / Nigeria Population In 2050: 400 Million People. 60% Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.