Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Why Is The Igbo Language Dying? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is The Igbo Language Dying? (1477 Views)

Europeans And Asians Learning Igbo Language / Ooni Of Ife: The Igbo Race Is First In The World To Discover, Nurture Wealth / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The Igbo Language Dying? by DejiSantos: 4:42pm On Jan 01, 2018
Panel discuss Igbo language and why it is not being spoken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92lFfDgVdo
Re: Why Is The Igbo Language Dying? by DejiSantos: 10:38am On Feb 04, 2018
Igbos dont seem that coerced
Re: Why Is The Igbo Language Dying? by StarFlux: 2:44pm On Feb 04, 2018
They're asking why Igbo is dying and yet they are speaking in Engrish? Ok.

The truth is that the enviroment in Nigeria is such that it promotes English over any other language, thus you'll have poor people looking for social mobility by disgarding their native tongues in favour of English. Some groups of people may be worse off than others, but the problem is essentially the same all over Nigeria. It's not really a complicated issue.

The reason I know this was because I was also denied the opportunity to learn my native language, thus I am buying books off the internet to learn what I can.
Re: Why Is The Igbo Language Dying? by DejiSantos: 2:46pm On Feb 04, 2018
They live in England.

Their parents did not teach many of them Igbo.

They are attempting to engage with the culture in a way that makes sense to them and in a way that will relate to other young Igbos in this situation.

It is not their fault. It is the fault of our father's generation.

StarFlux:
They're asking why Igbo is dying and yet they are speaking in Engrish? Ok.

The truth is that the enviroment in Nigeria is such that it promotes English over any other language, thus you'll have poor people looking for social mobility by disgarding their native tongues in favour of English. Some groups of people may be worse off than others, but the problem is essentially the same all over Nigeria. It's not really a complicated issue.

(1) (Reply)

Racism, The Rational & Logical Response To Black Behavior (philosophical Debate) / The Meaning Of Igala And The Igala People / History Of Agbede in Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.