Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,232 members, 7,836,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Was Apostle Paul Married? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Apostle Paul Married? (660 Views)

Apostle Paul Okikijesu 2021 Prophecies: Crisis In Aso Rock, A Governor Will Die / The Many Mistakes Of Apostle Paul's Teachings: Mistake No. 7 Correction / "Passenger In Keke Turns Python, Swallows A Boy In Bonny" - Apostle Paul Umoru (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Apostle Paul Married? by akachianyim: 10:22am On Jan 05, 2018
I need answers
Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:29am On Jan 05, 2018
The Bible never says whether Paul was married or not. Some think that he was at one time based on what he said in 1 Corinthians 9:5, "Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?" If Paul was married at one time, his wife likely passed away considering he never mentions her in any of his writings. Paul declared that he had the gift of celibacy in 1 Corinthians 7:1-7.

Paul’s statement to the unmarried and widows in the Corinthian church gives evidence that he was not married at the time of his writing the letter: “Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion” (1 Corinthians 7:8-9). Clearly, he was not married at that time, but whether he married afterwards is also a matter of speculation.

Some believe that the apostle Paul was married because history tells us that a member of the Sanhedrin was required to be married. However, Paul never stated that he was a member of the Sanhedrin. He definitely seemed to be on the path, "I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers" (Galatians 1:14). However, Paul might not have advanced that far before he converted to Christ.

So, was the apostle Paul married? It is possible that he was at one time, but again, the Bible does not specifically say.

1 Like

Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by Johncuppa(m): 12:04pm On Jan 05, 2018
BiafraBushBoy:
The Bible never says whether Paul was married or not. Some think that he was at one time based on what he said in 1 Corinthians 9:5, "Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?" If Paul was married at one time, his wife likely passed away considering he never mentions her in any of his writings. Paul declared that he had the gift of celibacy in 1 Corinthians 7:1-7.

Paul’s statement to the unmarried and widows in the Corinthian church gives evidence that he was not married at the time of his writing the letter: “Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion” (1 Corinthians 7:8-9). Clearly, he was not married at that time, but whether he married afterwards is also a matter of speculation.

Some believe that the apostle Paul was married because history tells us that a member of the Sanhedrin was required to be married. However, Paul never stated that he was a member of the Sanhedrin. He definitely seemed to be on the path, "I was advancing in Judaism beyond many Jews of my own age and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers" (Galatians 1:14). However, Paul might not have advanced that far before he converted to Christ.

So, was the apostle Paul married? It is possible that he was at one time, but again, the Bible does not specifically say.
So deep! Weldon.
While we can not ascertain whether he did or not, there are more evidences that he did not than he did.
And many theology Historians believed he did not.

These two things about Apostle Paul are hidden - His marital status and his thorn (2Cor. 12:7). I'm so much interested in his thorn than his marital status if you have any info about that. However, nobody can make a perfect assertion about the duo as they were never recorded in the scripture.
He also talked about the thorn but not extensively.

But on his marital status. it is more convincing to agree that he did not than he did but it is still personal opinion.

When we get to heaven, we will know.
Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 05, 2018
akachianyim:
I need answers

Paul never married. As the story goes according to the Nazoreans, Paul arrived from Tarsus, a place where Jewish people hardly lived, he became friends with the High Priest of the Sanhedrin willing to do their dirty work, he also wanted to marry the daughter of the High Priest without his permission. Paul converted to Judaism and underwent a circumcision as an adult in order to convince the girl to marry him, the girl declined, unfortunately the delicate surgery was a botched job.

Anyhow we are told that the chief priest got wind of Paul’s intention towards his daughter and wanted to teach him a lesson for being such an upstart, Paul fled town in hot pursuit by the High Priests henchmen, along the way, Paul saw the light or heard a voice or maybe both, no one really knows for sure but the rest is history. Now, if only the girl had said Yes cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 05, 2018
Sarassin:
Now, if only the girl had said Yes cheesy
It is now clear why Paul had those tendencies grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by adepeter2027(m): 2:11pm On Jan 05, 2018
Sarassin:

Paul never married. As the story goes according to the Nazoreans, Paul arrived from Tarsus, a place where Jewish people hardly lived, he became friends with the High Priest of the Sanhedrin willing to do their dirty work, he also wanted to marry the daughter of the High Priest without his permission. Paul converted to Judaism and underwent a circumcision as an adult in order to convince the girl to marry him, the girl declined, unfortunately the delicate surgery was a botched job.

Anyhow we are told that the chief priest got wind of Paul’s intention towards his daughter and wanted to teach him a lesson for being such an upstart, Paul fled town in hot pursuit by the High Priests henchmen, along the way, Paul saw the light or heard a voice or maybe both, no one really knows for sure but the rest is history. Now, if only the girl had said Yes cheesy
LoL.

I now understand better the real story behind Paul's conversion. Thanks Sarassin for this

1 Like

Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by LotusFan: 6:35pm On Jan 05, 2018
Sarassin:

smiley Pics or I don’t believe it!!! grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Apostle Paul Married? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 05, 2018
Yes he was married, he was married his savior in Spotify

(1) (Reply)

Rccg Sunday School Student Manual(28/01/2018) Envy And Jealousy / Do You Believe In Life After Death, Does It Exist? / Shepherd Bushiri’s Sons in the lord Die in Truck accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.