Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) (3867 Views)

Amazing Japanese Names That Are NIGERIAN / Why Are Nigerian Men So Spineless? / Thread For Yoruba's In The South East: Share Your Experiences. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 2:59pm On Jan 06, 2018
smiley

(Share your experiences)

Were you parents very strict or quite lenient?

DISCUSSION VIDEO BELOW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSFEeqZH8VA

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 6:15pm On Jan 06, 2018
I disagree.

[color=#000000][/color]
staytravel:

To be honest, they should all go back to Nigeria, is because they are there that they can say such things.
SO your parents dont say I love you. But you know they love sha.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by staytravel: 6:55pm On Jan 06, 2018
DejiSantos:
I disagree.

[color=#000000][/color]
Disagree for what?? Some of these guys are utterly clueless!
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 12:24am On Jan 07, 2018
There are other ways to teach your child without assaulting them.

staytravel:

Disagree for what?? Some of these guys are utterly clueless!
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 12:39am On Jan 07, 2018
DejiSantos:
There are other ways to teach your child without assaulting them.

Assault. LMAO. This is Nigeria we’re talking about.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 1:08am On Jan 07, 2018
Being in Nigeria makes assaulting children okay?

Probz:

Assault. LMAO. This is Nigeria we’re talking about.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 5:07am On Jan 07, 2018
DejiSantos:
Being in Nigeria makes assaulting children okay?

Assault or discipline?

Are you an oyibo?
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 8:49am On Jan 07, 2018
I'm as Nigerian as you.

I just don't believe grown ups beating minors is the best method of raising children.

Probz:

Assault or discipline?

Are you an oyibo?
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 8:50am On Jan 07, 2018
As Nigerian as you.

I just don't believe that adults beating kids is a progressive way of raising children.

Probz:

Assault or discipline?

Are you an oyibo?
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 9:00am On Jan 07, 2018
But it’s not a bad way either. I would’ve turned out a lot worse if my dad was scared of putting me in check. There’s a reason oyibo people don’t always respect their parents.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 10:57am On Jan 07, 2018
Theres a reason why European nations are less violent.

Normalising violence from young with smacking is not good.

Im sure you cam out fine. Buy you might have come out better if your parents had spoken to you instead of hitting you.

Probz:
But it’s not a bad way either. I would’ve turned out a lot worse if my mum was scared of putting me in check. There’s a reason oyibo people don’t always respect their parents.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 11:15am On Jan 07, 2018
DejiSantos:

Im sure you cam out fine. Buy you might have come out better if your parents had spoken to you instead of hitting you.

There’s a reason oyinbo people don’t have culture. It’s not just their melanin that’s peeled off.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 12:20pm On Jan 07, 2018
White people dont have culture?

Probz:

There’s a reason oyinbo people don’t have culture. It’s not just their melanin that’s peeled off.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 3:56pm On Jan 07, 2018
DejiSantos:
White people dont have culture?

Shut up man. Pissing me off.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 5:11pm On Jan 07, 2018
Because I will not agree with you ridiculous assertions lol

Probz:

Shut up man. Pissing me off.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 5:39pm On Jan 07, 2018
DejiSantos:
Because I will not agree with you ridiculous assertions lol

Not a lot of people on here will. There’s a fine line between discipline and assault.

And no. White people don't have culture, not really.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Bacteriologist(m): 12:08am On Jan 08, 2018
Probz:

Not a lot of people on here will. There’s a fine line between discipline and assault.

Your ignorance stinks. You need to learn what the word 'culture' means before spewing trash.

Your hasty generalization further exposes your naiveness. There's no research that says African children respects their parents than their White counterparts.

Spanking children all the time only hardens them the more. I prefer to actually be able to caution them using words and nonviolent means like grounding etc.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 12:15am On Jan 08, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Your ignorance stinks. You need to learn what the word 'culture' means before spewing trash.

Your hasty generalization further exposes your naiveness. There's no research that says African children respects their parents than their White counterparts.

Spanking children all the time only hardens them the more. I prefer to actually be able to caution them using words and nonviolent means like grounding etc.

“Exposes your naiveness.”

That or naivety? Westernisation has its place but not when it comes to disciplining kids. “There’s no evidence to suggest [...], that’s completely anecdotal.” Do you think I’m talking based on statistical elaboration or personal experience and belief?

It should be said that oyibo parents spanked their kids until very recently.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Bacteriologist(m): 1:39am On Jan 08, 2018
Probz:

“Exposes your naiveness.”

That or naivety? Westernisation has its place but not when it comes to disciplining kids. “There’s no evidence to suggest [...], that’s completely anecdotal.” Do you think I’m talking based on statistical elaboration or personal experience and belief?

It should be said that oyibo parents spanked their kids until very recently.

The word "Naiveness" in that context is very correct.

And no, your argument does not hold water nor should be taken seriously if it cannot be backed up by facts and/or statistics.

Listen to yourself bloke, "spanked their kids until very recently." The fact that they once did it doesn't make it - by any chance- right. They stopped it... And Yes they actually made it ILLEGAL in those countries. Why? because it's wrong.

Little wonder Africa is behind the first world countries and by extension continents by a million and one miles. Thanks to cavemen like you.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 3:40am On Jan 08, 2018
Bacteriologist:

And no, your argument does not hold water nor should be taken seriously if it cannot be backed up by facts and/or statistics.

Listen to yourself bloke, "spanked their kids until very recently." The fact that they once did it doesn't make it - by any chance- right. They stopped it... And Yes they actually made it ILLEGAL in those countries. Why? because it's wrong.

Little wonder Africa is behind the first world countries and by extension continents by a million and one miles. Thanks to cavemen like you.

You’re some little kid who’s had his head buried in his books for years. Eyiye.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by RedboneSmith(m): 9:31am On Jan 08, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Spanking is still legal in many first world countries.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by RedboneSmith(m): 9:35am On Jan 08, 2018
DejiSantos:

There's a stronger connection between poverty and violence than there is between spanking children and violence.

We are more violent largely because we are poorer.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by RedboneSmith(m): 9:37am On Jan 08, 2018
Probz:

If by culture, you mean unquestioned and unchanging (or very very slowly changing) ways of doing things handed down unaltered from centuries unending, then I agree.

But that isn't what culture is really. Perhaps, you meant to say white people have abandoned tribal traditions.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Bacteriologist(m): 11:09am On Jan 08, 2018
RedboneSmith:

Probably, but certainly not to the extent to which we do it here in Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 11:26am On Jan 08, 2018
And rightfully so

RedboneSmith:

Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 7:34pm On Jan 08, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Who’s this little kid? I’m talking based on personal experience and you’re talking statistics and hard facts?

You think you sound smart throwing around scientific terms in casual conversation but you don’t. It’s out of place when the OP’s asked us for personal opinions on a subjective matter. Of course it’s up for debate.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 3:35am On Jan 10, 2018
This

RedboneSmith:

If by culture, you mean unquestioned and unchanging (or very very slowly changing) ways of doing things handed down unaltered from centuries unending, then I agree.

But that isn't what culture is really. Perhaps, you meant to say white people have abandoned tribal traditions.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 3:45am On Jan 10, 2018
We don’t have to go all soft just because we’re becoming more globalised. Some oyibo kids aren’t afraid to call their own mothers cunts. Look at how softly-softly’s working out for them.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by DejiSantos: 12:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
Theres ways to punish children without beating them

Probz:
We don’t have to go all soft just because we’re becoming more globalised. Some oyibo kids aren’t afraid to call their own mothers cunts. Look at how softly-softly’s working out for them.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by Probz(m): 3:27pm On Jan 10, 2018
DejiSantos:
Theres ways to punish children without beating them

So you keep saying. Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Re: Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) by solamiku: 11:12pm On Jan 13, 2018
Nigerian parents can go too far.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Calabar Carnival Is A Celebration Of Prostitution / 2023: Why We Will Work For Peter Obi Not Atiku-plateu Ex- Reps Member, Kaze / Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.