Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

STRANGER (flash Fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / STRANGER (flash Fiction) (378 Views)

Freedom (A Flash Fiction Story By Kayode Odusanya) / The Genesis (A Flash Fiction Story By Kayode Odusanya) / Scared. A Flash Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

STRANGER (flash Fiction) by Minabee: 5:02pm On Jan 07, 2018
I'm here with another one. It's really flash fiction this time. Comments and necessary corrections are most welcome. Enjoy!!

It was all fun at first. Being a doctor at 23 and the only one in the family on both sides, I felt accomplished and thought I would feel same forever. Mom prided in me and my feat, so did Dad. There was a sense of fulfillment in making them proud, that was what I lived for all these years. Life was gaining momentum and I was loving it every moment.
Moving forward, I started working. It was just one at first, then I added another to earn more and limit my free time. I worked shifts that alternated between the two hospitals. I was a general practitioner. It was weird the first few months. Potential patients always had looks of distrust and doubt in their eyes. It seemed to me like they—especially the older ones—doubted my medical skills probably because I was rather young. But then, I got past all the weird vibes exuded by my patients, worked my stuff and mastered it all. I had it all under control.
Now I’m sitting at my desk, there’s a ton of cases to look over. I could pass for a caveman considering how worn I look with the bags beneath my eyes. A headache about to split my skull. I was wrong, I barely mastered it. I took care of others while I forgot and lost myself. There’s little sense of fulfilment now, I’m lost in the same routine day in, day out. It’s like an endless loop. I am empty and struggle through every day. I could use a break. This life isn’t what I imagined. I don’t look or feel me anymore. I’m a stranger to myself. I need a break.

(1) (Reply)

Pissing Off The Ancestors / The Mystery Of Life / To Every Boy Child, There's A Poem Attached - Poetry.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.