Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,287 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) (35223 Views)

Nairalander Visits Oguta Lake Confluence And Saw Amazing Ecological Wonder / Ado Awaye, Oyo: The Only Suspended Lake In Africa (Pictures, Video) / There Are Only Two Suspended Lakes In The World, Ado-awaye Suspended Lake Is One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by miqos02(m): 8:57pm On Jan 07, 2018
cool

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Akinya17: 8:57pm On Jan 07, 2018
humblemikel:
Op next time go with me
Else don't come and do me longer throat here.
By the way
You could make a great writer

Very true. OP you will be good in writing novels. Your narrative technique is awesome.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by orbis(m): 8:59pm On Jan 07, 2018
Looks more like a stagnant pool than a lake to me. A lake has mire biodiversity but i dont think this pool has any.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by HaneefahRN(f): 9:01pm On Jan 07, 2018
I was there last week, went from a Camp at Iseyin.
Made the mistake of not going up there with water, the climb was something else, I had to seat down several time to rest before we finally got there.
And some of us actually drank that water, I can't imagine myself doing that.

Plus there was this elephant like tree at the top of the mountain too.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by supereagle(m): 9:06pm On Jan 07, 2018
Buffalo2:
It's in iseyin local government of oyo state

Thanks. Many tourist destinations in Nigeria, but not developed.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by joinnow: 9:22pm On Jan 07, 2018
Bros I hail only u waka come.
With your head intact.
Tuale for you

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by omoelerin1: 9:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

Abeg where is the lake!!!

I can only see a puddle!!!!

It is like calling collection of water on a party canopy or tent a lake grin
must you quote all the write-up before you write your comment? Which kind person be this self?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by omoelerin1: 9:37pm On Jan 07, 2018
RabbiDoracle:

There are far more majestic "lakes " in Aba than this puddle.
Na only rock and a small pool of water.
Lakes are majestic!!!
They don start. jealous people.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Hayah: 9:47pm On Jan 07, 2018
OBALORLA:
You won't regret it Sinaj.
The view from the top is breathtaking.
the villagers too are very friendly and would do anything to make you happy.

Good

You should have stopped by at Osoogun, Late Bishop Ajayi Crowther birthplace, not far from there, precisely between Ado Awaye and Eruwa (Igbo Ora)

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by tdayof(m): 9:49pm On Jan 07, 2018
Perge:
Thanks for posting the real pictures of Ibadan cheesy

.......and where are the pictures of Ibadan he posted?
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by babythug(f): 9:51pm On Jan 07, 2018
I see things like this and genuinely get saddened by the government of the day!

This is a cheap source of providing interna revenue for the state but no one will think in that direction. The government can build a top range not necessarily world class sef resort in that axis. They will invest in good advert including insisting that all state government workers retreats will be held there for eg and I tell you it'll rake in millions yearly!

But no the governor and his advisers can't see in that direction and of course the tourist board doesn't have the required clout to push such a proposal

Well done OP! You have some guts

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:56pm On Jan 07, 2018
Wow. I've been here before. Over 8 years now though. Lol

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Sterope(f): 10:00pm On Jan 07, 2018

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by YemziAdez(m): 10:14pm On Jan 07, 2018
Nice one Op.

I had similar experiences when I volunteered for a research project on the diversity of insectivorous bats across different elevations on Afi mountain in Cross River.

We spent about 2 months on the mountain (moving from one elevation to another) and also went as far as 1500m above sea level.

Hiking is fun, and as the op rightly said, you must hike with less load(s), enough water (although, at some point, we got clean water from the rock), boots with good tracks, and also warm clothing (if you'll be camping there).

On Afi mountain, we camped at different elevations: 150m (camp zero), 450m (Fire camp/Iroro camp), 750m (Kelly's camp - you might encounter chimps along the way here), 1000m (breezy!) and then 1500m (the dreaded kubotu camp - here, your endurance will be put to test beyond your expectations!)

I'll gladly recommend guys interested in nature to pay a tourist visit to Drill Ranch, alongside Obudu and Afi mountains in Cross River state.

Mountaineering is fun!

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by YemziAdez(m): 10:22pm On Jan 07, 2018
YemziAdez:
Nice one Op.

I had similar experiences when I volunteered for a research project on the diversity of insectivorous bats across different elevations on Afi mountain in Cross River.

We spent about 2 months on the mountain (moving from one elevation to another) and also went as far as 1500m above sea level.

Hiking is fun, and as the op rightly said, you must hike with less load(s), enough water (although, at some point, we got clean water from the rock), boots with good tracks, and also warm clothing (if you'll be camping there).

On Afi mountain, we camped at different elevations: 150m (camp zero), 450m (Fire camp/Iroro camp), 750m (Kelly's camp - you might encounter chimps along the way here), 1000m (breezy!) and then 1500m (the dreaded kubotu camp - here, your endurance will be put to test beyond your expectations!)

I'll gladly recommend guys interested in nature to pay a tourist visit to Drill Ranch, alongside Obudu and Afi mountains in Cross River state.

Mountaineering is fun!

Here are some pictures to back up my post.

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Topestbilly(m): 10:31pm On Jan 07, 2018
Okoyeeboz:

As at when those houses with brown roofs were being built, the descendants of Judas iscariot had not finished trekking from Isreal or wherever they were downloaded from.

Finish him!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Fawklicant: 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2018
sabama007:

I really thought climbing the Olumo Rock is the second adventurous hike after the Awgu hill but this looks great n impressive.

I must surely go there for adventure.

Thanks Op for the detailed narration

Let's go together. cool

@profile pix...the face is the face of sabama007 but the hand is that of sarrki! shocked
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Oyewitty14(m): 11:24pm On Jan 07, 2018
SpareNo1:

Who in their right senses will swim in that dirty lake anyways?
I've been to d place.D lake is not dirty, it might appeared green but trust me if u fetch it, it is pure and colourless.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2018
Oyewitty14:

I've been to d place.D lake is not dirty, it might appeared green but trust me if u fetch it, it is pure and colourless.
Well, maybe I'm wrong about it being dirty but still, I think it's too small and too much rock to swim in.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by DawnEden(m): 11:46pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hello OBALORLA, what model of camera do u use
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by Chemicalsolo: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2018
I was once there, its so amazing . tnks to NACC (national association of Catholic corps members).

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by sarrki(m): 12:43am On Jan 08, 2018
Op good one

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by xreal: 1:40am On Jan 08, 2018
is this a literature class?

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by sule944: 5:29am On Jan 08, 2018
OBALORLA:
Agodi Gardens, Mapo Hall Bower’s Tower, The University of Ibadan Zoo and Ado Awaye Mountain were the major places I had planned to explore when I traveled to Ibadan. While I achieved my aim with the first three, I failed at the fourth because of my crazy assumption of thinking since Ibadan and Ado Awaye are both inside Oyo state, it’d be easier for me to travel between the two destinations.

This turned out to be the craziest assumption I made in 2017.

The plan had been to either take a bus or a cab from Round-about on my way back from Bower’s tower in Ibadan. This was based on the assumption that one of them would be loading for Ado-Awaye. Unfortunately, everyone I approached seemed not to know anywhere with that name. Not even the bike men

It dawned on me then that all what I had read about Ibadan being the largest city in West Africa in terms of land mass were not false.

So I gave up on my plans but didn’t back, hence promising myself I was going to do a solo return before the year runs away.

I didn’t fail myself.

How did I get the fund?

It was self-funded. As soon as I could, I started saving up every hundred and thousand which came my way. I put the word out to my community so they could send in their prayers and well wishes. Then I started counting down to the day as the nights became longer.

The day finally came, and I can honestly say that I had a miserable journey. My trip ended up going beyond one day. Though, it ended up being worth it.

Preparation
Waking up at 8am on Saturday, the 2nd of December 2017 was on hindsight a very bad mistake, but since I didn’t know that then, I went on with my day. I rushed to have my bath; dressed up, unplugged my phone whose battery was still less than 50%; raced to a nearby barber to get a better haircut; then took advantage of an innocent Keke (tricycle). This took me to Sabo (Lagos) where a bus was on standby to accommodate just one more passenger before leaving for Ojota.

I was very happy because I thought I was very lucky. My happiness disappeared though when I realised that the time was already several minutes past 11am. I started trying to calculate just how long the journey was going to take; if I was going to return the same day as I had promised; and if I couldn’t return, how I would get extra cash since I was on a budget.

These were the questions running through my mind as I wandered around Ojota garage looking out for the next bus/car going to Oyo state. But no one was there to tell me I was on a long thing. Kudos to the driver though, he did well in terms of safe driving but did fairly well with acceleration.

I got to Oyo around 3:30 pm (Yes! I spent close to 2 hours waiting for the car to get filled) and after asking a cab driver how to get to Ado Awaye, he told me I had to get to Owode. From there I could take a bus to Iseyin, drop at Oja Agbe, before taking another to Ado Awaye.

Owode

My muscles immediately became feeble. I also suddenly remembered I hadn’t eaten.

“Who even send you message?” asked another voice from nowhere.

I was in a dilemma. Going further into the journey was going to be futile, and trying to go back home would be more brutal. So, I continued with little joy while I munched on a roll of Gala which I guess might have been close to its expiration date.

On transit to Ado Awaye

By the time I got to Ado Awaye, it was almost 7pm. I had just one option left then because there wasn’t even a guest house or a hotel anywhere in sight.

My only option was to look for the King’s palace and sleep there.

I soon decided against that when I heard a lady beside me say she was waiting for a cab going to Abeokuta. That was when I realised that Abeokuta was close by.
Thank goodness, I thought. I could pass the night at Dare’s place.

This was me right in front of the magnificent beast, but the time was 6:32pm. It’d make no sense hiking by this time. The next option was to locate the king’s palace to pass the night but I ditched that thought immediately as I heard a woman mentioned that Abeokuta isn’t too far away. So I headed to Dare’s place. Remember Dare? My very first host.

LOCATING THE SUSPENDED LAKE

On getting to Dare’s pace, I swore never to return to Ado Awaye again because that would mean spending way outside my budget which was very risky. But then, how could I suffer in vain? Going through all the trauma and returning home with nothing.

No! I decided I couldn’t go back empty-handed. A lot of people needed feedback about this trip.

So the next day, I washed my body and wore my polo and shorts again and this time around, I set out earlier. Off I went to Lafenwa, from where I boarded a cab destined for Igbo-Ora. There I joined another cab which took me to Ado Awaye.

It’s a Sunday but traders still went ahead with their thing.

Mud houses in Ado Awaye

All these happened within 3 hours. I was so happy that my energy levels soared and I barely remembered the pains of the previous day.

So the thing is, almost everyone in Ado Awaye is a tour guide. they can easily Identify a stranger and the reason behind visiting. Here’s Akande- on discovering I was coming to him after alighting from the cab, He asked if I wanted to see the mountain and I answered yes. He requested I paid #600 but I insisted on parting with #400 and he let out a mild grin after i promised I’d teach him how to take pictures with my camera.

Whenever there is sever drought in the land, the chief priest of the mountain will visit the mountain and wrap a white cloth around the ‘waist’ of Ishage rock; an action which will make rain fall heavily upon the land that night and the Ishage Rock will drop off the white cloth after the downpour.

A tale that has been repeatedly told to every tourist who’s hiked the Ado Awaye suspended lake is that these holes scattered all over the mountain are “Ese Awon Agba” meaning “footprints of the Elders”. I don’t think this is true. These holes must have been as a result of consistent grinding activities by the early settlers. since there were neither blenders nor grinding stones as at these periods.

The popular belief which I guess must be myth is that this lake is bottomless. Folklore even had it that whoever attempts to swim inside it will never be found again. Villagers however drink from it, professing it spirituality in terms of healing the sick and cleansing the filthy.

A view from the sky.

Tips on Hiking the Ado Awaye Suspended lake
- Leave home very early (esp. when you wouldn’t be going with a private car).
- Speak Yoruba (or go alongside someone who’s fluent). Majority of the locals are Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani.
- Haggle for everything with a Naira value.
- Carry water along. A lot of it.
- Hike light. carry only items you’d need. e.g camera water etc. as carry more than necessary items will get you tired easily.
- You should learn endurance as that’s the only skill required to get to the top.

sourced from:
http://www.nomadicnegro.com/ado-awaye-suspended-lake/
Oboy you didn't make enquiry there is a lot of hotels in adowaye

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:13am On Jan 08, 2018
True. A few people dont fancy nature and that's perfectly alright.

kimbraa:
Nothing here piques my interest.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:14am On Jan 08, 2018
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

Totally a huge waste!

Ok
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:17am On Jan 08, 2018
Haganah:

Nice one OP, I love trips like this?

But going by the trend in the South West, Is my head safe?

You may have survived it, but can we be confident that our parts will remain intact?

Nigeria and Nigerians aren't as bad as the media paints . I have spent days in the east west north and south and I can boldly say we've got the best set of people around here. Being cautious is something every human has to do. Even in America.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:19am On Jan 08, 2018
Chykeboss:
o.p really love the persistent.. nice tour keep it up sir

Thanks fam.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:21am On Jan 08, 2018
AryaSand:
Very explanatory. Thanks OP. Wanted to go last year when I went to Iseyin but something came up. This year I must there. I just have to go there.
Did you see the "Elephant" Tree?

Please try going this year.
I didn't get to see the tree though.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:22am On Jan 08, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:
I do travel to this village, but I've never tried visiting the site, should go there is cashew season by God's grace. Thanks op. kudos

Please ensure you go.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:25am On Jan 08, 2018
TutorV:
I like your narrative flow and your command of language. All shows that you are not a greenhorn in exploring tourist centres. It's indeed a costly assumption you made on the distance between Ìbàdàn and Ádó Àwáyè. Indeed, Ìbàdàn lo mọ̀, o mọ̀ Láyípo. But it's a wonderful experience for you I must say.

Lmfao!
It won't happen again.
Re: A Nairalander Visits Ado Awaye Suspended Lake In Oyo (Photos) by OBALORLA(m): 6:27am On Jan 08, 2018
supereagle:

Location of the place. Which state and local government area?

Village: Ado
LGA: Iseyin
State: Oyo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Visa Ban: Our Policy Consistent With Yours, UK Replies FG / Ibadan: Completed 7.3 Km Agodi Gate-old Ife Road-adegbayi Junction(pics) / 524 Roads And Bridges That Buhari Is Constructing In Nigeria (see The List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.