Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,592 members, 7,827,223 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women (725 Views)

Men Are Shockingly Ignorant About The Workings Of A Woman's Body (photos) / 81-Year-Old Russian Grandma Comes Back To Life 7Hours After Being Declared Dead / I Forget Things Easily: Should I Be Worried About This Condition? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women by Futureberry: 3:18pm On Jan 08, 2018
A recent study found women suffering cardiac arrest were less likely than men to receive CPR, possibly because men don’t want to touch women’s chests.

If you’ve been reading the news lately you may be under the impression that a lot of men have a tendency to put their hands on women without first obtaining consent. Now it appears, at least in one context, that not enough men are putting their hands on women without obtaining consent — and they really ought to get to it.

I’m not referring to sexual assault, nor am I suggesting that our society needs more of it (as if). I’m talking about first aid and the apparent reluctance by some men to perform CPR on women.

According to a new study published by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania, women suffering cardiac arrest are less likely than men to receive CPR from bystanders in public spaces. The study looked at more than 19,000 cases around the United States in which people suffered cardiac arrest in public, and researchers determined that while 45 per cent of men were given CPR by bystanders, only 39 per cent of women received the procedure.

One possible reason for this discrepancy? Researchers believe that some male bystanders may be hesitant to perform CPR on women because they don’t want to touch their chests. After all, CPR requires that a rescuer press down on the chest of the person who needs saving.

And if this person happens to be a woman, it follows that a rescuer’s hands could, if only by accident, brush up against her breasts. Men may fear that if the woman involved comes to, she may not take kindly to a guy crouching next to her with his hands on her chest (though I’m guessing she’d be stoked to be alive, not scandalized).

If this fear sounds totally ludicrous, that’s because it is. So-called Good Samaritan laws tend to protect anyone on this continent who is accused of a crime after performing CPR on a person in distress (even if that person doesn’t regain consciousness).
And as I mentioned earlier, the likelihood that a woman would be offended that a man accidentally touched or exposed her breasts in the act of saving her life is extremely low — unless she values modesty more than she values breathing.

But ludicrous or not, this fear persists. I spoke to two CPR professionals who told me that though they hope men don’t walk away from CPR instruction afraid to perform the procedure on women, many students begin first-aid class harbouring a host of fears about performing CPR — from getting sued, to contracting a disease, to being accused of sexual misconduct. However, maintains Lyle Karasiuk, the national chair for the Canadian Council for First Aid Education of the Canadian Red Cross, “I think our instructors do an excellent job of addressing gender issues and our materials reflect that right now.”

Chris Riedesser, director of education at first-aid clinic Lifesaver 101 in Etobicoke, would probably agree. “Nobody should leave a CPR course thinking that (gender) has anything to do with the price of eggs.”

And yet the data shows that they might. On a personal note, I’m not surprised by this. I’m not a first aid expert like the men quoted above, but I am a woman who very briefly studied first aid, and I can tell you that though I had no issues performing mock CPR on my male partner in my camp swim class, he became painfully awkward when it was his turn to perform the procedure on me. I had to practically force his hands onto my chest because he tensed up like a boy fumbling to unhook a girl’s bra for the first time in his life. “Are you sure this is OK?” he asked me more than once.

If my male partner was this apprehensive about putting his hands on my chest after I gave him explicit consent to do so in the context of a classroom assignment, how might he react in a real-life emergency situation involving an unconscious woman? It’s not difficult to imagine that he might freeze up and do nothing.

This reluctance to act in order to preserve a woman’s dignity or spare her embarrassment is well meaning. But it’s also fundamentally insulting, dangerous and, yes, sexist. I think I can speak for all of womankind when I say that we would prefer to be dishevelled and alive than untouched and dead. Men, if the moment calls for it, please push down on our chests.

http://www.metronews.ca/views/2017/11/15/when-it-comes-to-cpr-men-too-worried-about-touching-women.html
Re: When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women by Futureberry: 3:25pm On Jan 08, 2018
mynd44
seun
dominique
pocohantas
Re: When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women by IdeyFindWife: 3:57pm On Jan 08, 2018
Except for maniacs and pervs, you would wanna exercise a lotta restraint laying hands on a woman for any reason, uninvited! If otherwise, then you would not be worthy of the pendulum dandgling between your legs.

But, as trained professionals? C'mon, boys get to it!

Still on the matter of those randy doctors, who take opportunity of on-job privileges, to be mishandling our chicks and demanding them to strip for so you can glimpse and finger the "London" that we are paying thru the nose for anyhaw, thunder will surely fire you into blindness this 2018, soonest!
Re: When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women by Futureberry: 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2018
IdeyFindWife:
Except for maniacs and pervs, you would wanna exercise a lotta restraint laying hands on a woman for any reason, uninvited! If otherwise, then you would not be worthy of the pendulum dandgling between your legs.

Still on the matter of those randy doctors, who take opportunity of on-job privileges, to be mishandling our chicks and demanding them to strip for so you can glimpse and finger the "London" that we are paying thru the nose for anyhaw, thunder will surely fire you into blindness this 2018, soonest!

you just jumped on a topic without understanding the reason and fears why such topic exist or occurred, typical low iq Nigerian

Like a dog on heat,you on one hand shamed insult any man that touch a woman for whatsoever reason,on the other hand you are ordering them to do the same thing you are condemning them for.

Like the military life that you know and was brought up in,you cannot look at problems from different angles and try to prefer different solutions to the problem.

You are a sexist pig who should not be allowed near any living being..for your IQ will drain plants of whatsoever IQ they posses.
Re: When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women by IdeyFindWife: 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

Futureberry:
[s]you just jumped on a topic without understanding the reason and fears why such topic exist or occurred, typical low iq Nigerian

Like a dog on heat,you on one hand shamed insult any man that touch a woman for whatsoever reason,on the other hand you are ordering them to do the same thing you are condemning them for.

Like the military life that you know and was brought up in,you cannot look at problems from different angles and try to prefer different solutions to the problem.

You are a sexist pig who should not be allowed near any living being..for your IQ will drain plants of whatsoever IQ they posses.[/s]

So, minus doing your job and saving a life, you would feel perfectly free pawing women, uninvited? Are you ramping up to be a molester? Isn't it normal, where you come from, for a man to have innate respect, deference and absolute reservations for the privacy of females and to only be able to broach that barrier on the event of some unavoidably life-threatening set of conditions? I tire for you o!

I bet your addled brain is on autopilot like your experimental forex trading career. I'm damned sure you skimmed through my response in ur bid to unload ur abuses on me like a sissy. And your powers of comprehension appear equally as crippled as Buhari's last malady. Otherwise, you would see the implicitly corroborative stance of my response to the major findings of the research. Did you just copy-paste the entire article in the hopes of making front-page like many of the no-life jobbers around here? Guy, park well o!

One possible reason for this discrepancy? [b]Researchers believe that some male bystanders may be hesitant to perform CPR on women because they don’t want to touch their chests. After all, CPR requires that a rescuer press down on the chest of the person who needs saving.

And if this person happens to be a woman, it follows that a rescuer’s hands could, if only by accident, brush up against her breasts. Men may fear that if the woman involved comes to, she may not take kindly to a guy crouching next to her with his hands on her chest (though I’m guessing she’d be stoked to be alive, not scandalized).

If this fear sounds totally ludicrous, that’s because it is. So-called Good Samaritan laws tend to protect anyone on this continent who is accused of a crime after performing CPR on a person in distress (even if that person doesn’t regain consciousness).
And as I mentioned earlier, the likelihood that a woman would be offended that a man accidentally touched or exposed her breasts in the act of saving her life is extremely low — unless she values modesty more than she values breathing.

But ludicrous or not, this fear persists.
I spoke to two CPR professionals who told me that though they hope men don’t walk away from CPR instruction afraid to perform the procedure on women, many students begin first-aid class harbouring a host of fears about performing CPR — from getting sued, to contracting a disease, to being accused of sexual misconduct. However, maintains Lyle Karasiuk, the national chair for the Canadian Council for First Aid Education of the Canadian Red Cross, “I think our instructors do an excellent job of addressing gender issues and our materials reflect that right now.”

Chris Riedesser, director of education at first-aid clinic Lifesaver 101 in Etobicoke, would probably agree. “Nobody should leave a CPR course thinking that (gender) has anything to do with the price of eggs.”[/b]

Anyhow, I dunt give a flipping furk what you think, keep throwing your pedestrian level vocabs around on your plebe stratum. If I would have needed professional training and consideration of ethics in order to override my innate upbringing of gentlemanly behavior, courtly comportment and courtesies to the opposite gender even at the point of saving a life, I would be really happy with myself.

If you, on the other hand feels that makes me a sexist pig, I suggest you get more acquainted with your contemporary dictionary because I doubt you really know the meaning of being sexist! If you go around laying hands on women anyhow like it appears you're supporting now, you will surely get in some hot soup as a molester of some sort or the other! Get it into your brain, you don't touch women unbidden, even when invited, you should know boundaries and respect them by default because of how you are wired. Your response should depend on you, not the other person.

But, when duty calls, man up and do your duty honorably and with excellence! That was the point I made. Now, that I've "dumbed" it down as much as possible, hope it sinks in this time!
Re: When It Comes To Life-saving CPR, Men Are Too Worried About Touching Women by Futureberry: 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

So, minus doing your job and saving a life, you would feel perfectly free pawing women, uninvited? Are you ramping up to be a molester? Isn't it normal, where you come from, for a man to have innate respect, deference and absolute reservations for the privacy of females and to only be able to broach that barrier on the event of some unavoidably life-threatening set of conditions? I tire for you o!

I bet your addled brain is on autopilot like your experimental forex trading career. I'm damned sure you skimmed through my response in ur bid to unload ur abuses on me like a sissy. And your powers of comprehension appear equally as crippled as Buhari's last malady. Otherwise, you would see the implicitly corroborative stance of my response to the major findings of the research. Did you just copy-paste the entire article in the hopes of making front-page like many of the no-life jobbers around here? Guy, park well o!

Anyhow, I dunt give a flipping furk what you think, keep throwing your pedestrian level vocabs around on your plebe stratum. If I would have needed professional training and consideration of ethics in order to override my innate upbringing of gentlemanly behavior, courtly comportment and courtesies to the opposite gender even at the point of saving a life, I would be really happy with myself.

If you, on the other hand feels that makes me a sexist pig, I suggest you get more acquainted with your contemporary dictionary because I doubt you really know the meaning of being sexist! If you go around laying hands on women anyhow like it appears you're supporting now, you will surely get in some hot soup as a molester of some sort or the other! Get it into your brain, you don't touch women unbidden, even when invited, you should know boundaries and respect them by default because of how you are wired. Your response should depend on you, not the other person.

But, when duty calls, man up and do your duty honorably and with excellence! That was the point I made. Now, that I've "dumbed" it down as much as possible, hope it sinks in this time!
stop saying men should man up,that sexist, it like me saying women should shut and don't report rape...stop telling men to man up when they face inconvenience or are boxed into a tight corner

Now back to the topic, the reason these fears and issues are rising up is partially due to the recent #Metoo movement which bring to light so many sexual predators and various people where fired and their life ruined simply because somebody accuse them of being sexual assaulters without evidence they are condemned and fired in the court of public opinion,their families abandoned them..friends abandoned them...one example is the story of a particular unilaglodo or loaded guy,who was accused of rape,without evidence he was called different names,his family was insulted... If he were working under someone, he probably would have been fired simply because someone accuse them without facts or evidence..

That why so many people have decided to follow the #Mikepencerule...these protect them from whatsoever allegations in the future should someone decide to tarnish their image for whatsoever reasons...

The article pretty much highlighted why such fears arises...

That why I said earlier that most Nigerians don't like tacking issues from both angles

Try and read on the #Metoo stories and the #Mikepencerule

(1) (Reply)

The Truth About Beans Doctors Won’t Tell You / Help! My 5 Year Old Boy’s Palms, Elbow And Knees Have Been Peeling Since He 2. / Stds; Syphilis, What it is.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.