Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,762 members, 7,955,904 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:11 PM

Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? (863 Views)

Slavery In Our Labour Market / How Being A Graduate Is Now A Disadvantage In The Labour Market / FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Holywizard: 8:02pm On Jan 09, 2018
Hello Nairalanders!!! Please help a brother out.
Its been over 7 years I was involved in an accident & I got head and a facial scars on me.
These scars have contributed to my low self-esteem.
I passed out from NYSC last month and I seriously need a job, most especially because of my family background.
I want to know whether those scars can be a disadvantage to me in the labour market because to me, it made me look rough.
Moderators please help a brother out!!
#Davide470
#Uboma
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Winchman: 6:18am On Jan 10, 2018
Holywizard, what a moniker grin!
I do not think you need employers to validate the way you feel about your looks by offering you a job. You have to give yourself that validation by understanding that you are enough. You have to believe that you look fine with your scars. Those scars tell a story of survival and endurance, no matter how difficult things become they remind you that better days lie ahead. That way you are able to build your confidence back up. I'm not unaware of the stares you may get from random strangers but that's because people are intrigued by difference. You can look them square in the eyes till they look away or you can offer them a warm smile and move on depending on how you are feeling at that moment.
Now to your question about jobs. There are always going to be jobs we don't qualify for based on physical appearance and our skill sets. I may never work as a physician or a model with a full head of hair. I don't have the skills and I have lost all my hair. However, I have a job I love in an industry that drives Nigeria's economy. Nobody at my job has been hired or turned away because they look a certain way. Your skills are what matter here. You are going to get a job soon enough.

3 Likes

Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Holywizard: 7:40am On Jan 10, 2018
Thanks sir.
I'm really pleased.
Winchman:
I do not think you need employers to validate the way you feel about your looks by offering you a job. You have to give yourself that validation by understanding that you are enough. You have to believe that you look fine with your scars. Those scars tell a story of survival and endurance, no matter how difficult things become they remind you that better days lie ahead. That way you are able to build your confidence back up. I'm not unaware of the stares you may get from random strangers but that's because people are intrigued by difference. You can look them square in the eyes till they look away or you can offer them a warm smile and move on depending on how you are feeling at that moment.
Now to your question about jobs. There are always going to be jobs we don't qualify for based on physical appearance and our skill sets. I may never work as a physician or a model with a full head of hair. I don't have the skills and I have lost all my hair. However, I have a job I love in an industry that drives Nigeria's economy. Nobody at my job has been hired or turned away because they look a certain way. Your skills are what matter here. You are going to get a job soon enough.
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by xxgig(m): 7:52am On Jan 10, 2018
Winchman:
winchman giving holywizard a holy advice. this una monker self. neverthelesss well said Bro/Sis (person no dey trust gender status for nairaland)
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Holywizard: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2018
I'm a guy bro.
xxgig:
winchman giving holywizard a holy advice. this una monker self. neverthelesss well said Bro/Sis (person no dey trust gender status for nairaland)
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by xxgig(m): 9:57am On Jan 10, 2018
Holywizard:
I'm a guy bro.
okay winchman. I'll remember this.
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by lavenjcrown(m): 10:07am On Jan 10, 2018
send me your picture lemme see.
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Holywizard: 11:15am On Jan 10, 2018
xxgig:
okay winchman. I'll remember this.
tnks.
Abeg u fit help me with any job?
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Holywizard: 11:16am On Jan 10, 2018
lavenjcrown:
send me your picture lemme see.
08063829559 whatsapp
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by xxgig(m): 11:20am On Jan 10, 2018
Holywizard:
tnks.
Abeg u fit help me with any job?
baba. me self dey market O. I have been jobless for a while now. and I am very positive that this month won't pass by without a ,"good job" coming my way.
Re: Can Scars Be A Disadvantage in The Labour Market? by Holywizard: 11:22am On Jan 10, 2018
Amen. I wouldn't mind a job of 40k sef
xxgig:
baba. me self dey market O. I have been jobless for a while now. and I am very positive that this month won't pass by without a ,"good job" coming my way.

(1) (Reply)

Teachers Needed Urgently / Experienced Farm Manager Needed / Is This Invitation Genuine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.