Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,394 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:48 AM

Pain Is Love? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pain Is Love? (696 Views)

It Turns Me On Seeing My Wife Hurt, Sad Or In Pain / There Is Love In Sharing. / How Many Times Is "Love Making" Recommended In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pain Is Love? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 10, 2010
Hi Niralanders. I seldom discuss my PERSONAL (DEEP) secrets with people whom I do not know however there is something that is bothering me. My neighbor is being abused and after having running to my apartment on several occasions for refuge shes once again taken the creep back and she is. . .avoiding me. She doesnt make eye contact with me anymore and I have actually seen her scurry to her car before I could see any new scars. I really want to help the poor lady.

It hits close to home. My mother has been in two physically abusive relationships as a young girl before seeking God she would often times use her cultural heritage to justify her misfortune. She, like many young girls from her country, would say "If a man doesn't hit/ discipline you, he doesn't love you!". I have been in one abusive relationship about two years ago which I will not get into details.

Often times physical abuse begins as emotional then gradually becoming physical. I have actually heard some men AND women say that some men are "justified" in hitting their female counterparts. I am certain there are women who are devious and provoke more than they need to however its never ok.

What are some of your views on abuse? Should I intervene or leave it to her and just pray?
Re: Pain Is Love? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 10, 2010
First of all, I want to applaud you for your kind concern you'd be surprised how many people would rather let something
awful take place than risk getting involved. That said, your safety is very important and I wouldn't chance confronting the abuser.
The only thing you can do here is offer your help. speak to her when shes alone and offer ur support. if she shrugs it off, then there's not
much you can really do. And the fact that shes still living with him speaks for itself.
i think u've done the responsible thing and more than ur duty, by offerring help earlier, ask her again and see what happends

I will also suggest you call -an-abuse-hotline if things become really nasty you know what I mean
right?
Re: Pain Is Love? by queeneve: 4:04pm On Apr 10, 2010
If you don't act NOW, she will not make it by NEW YEARS!
Re: Pain Is Love? by ritaNL: 6:16pm On Apr 10, 2010
If she wants you to intervene,she should come to you.Dont put your head in what is not your biznis ooo b4 dem carry something break am.

Like seriously, stay away from ppl's martial problem.
Re: Pain Is Love? by Sissy3(f): 11:31pm On Apr 10, 2010
"If a man doesn't hit/ discipline you, he doesn't love you!

statements like this irks my heart. kai! i wish we knew better as women.

@ OP

your friend obviously and seriously needs help, whether she admits it to you or not. she needs your intervention if not you will be going to her funeral. women in abusive relationship, hardly admits it, talk less of seeking help. and she is already displaying the classical serious abuse signs.
Re: Pain Is Love? by Nobody: 5:47am On Apr 11, 2010
it doesnt matter what you do (or what we think) if that person is not mentally/physically and financially ready to say stop and move on then whatever you do/say will fall on deaf ears.

it all depends on where you live:
[b]- some wont leave because divorce is against their religious beliefs.
- some would stay because they have such a low self esteem that they dont believe that 1) someone else would want them 2) that they can make it without their abusive partner.
- some believe that they deserve the punishment they got and therefore see nothing wrong in the beating (the brainwashed ones)
- some actually love that abusive person so much that they accept whatever is thrown at them. the abuser could be caught in bed with their mistress and it wouldnt make a difference.
-some believe their abusive remorseful partner when they, afterwards, say that they are sorry and would never do it again. . . . . . . . . . . . only for the abused to get the same treatment a few days/weeks later.
- in some countries, beating your wife is allowed as she is regarded as a man's property and nothing more (have you forgot about the muslim cleric who was advising on how to PROPERLY beat your wife?!) [/b].

its hard to walk away from an abusive relationship, especially if there are kids involved. after the first few abuses, the abused gets used to it and just live with it (just like any other BS in marriage like cheating/lying etc)
Re: Pain Is Love? by desktop: 6:05am On Apr 11, 2010
"If a man doesn't hit/ discipline you, he doesn't love you!"

whoa!
lipsrsealed

Guess this means people like me are not capable of loving, then all the guys in wresltemania must actaully have something else going on!

I really do not know what to say, but a guy who can raise his hand on a woman!
Women could be crazy O and drive you up the wall & stuff but really does hitting them solve problem?

I believe you should try and contact one of family members whose male, if he comes in there and scatters everything maybe the guy will chase the woman out of his house. . . but at least she'll still be alive!

Come to think of it there must have been some other guy who would have given up anything for this very same woman embarassed

This sucks!
Re: Pain Is Love? by spoilt(f): 6:11am On Apr 11, 2010
You cannot help an abused woman till she is ready to break free. Usually it takes a near death experience to make the scale fall out of her eyes.
Re: Pain Is Love? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
i think you can. teach her to love herself. a woman who stays often does so out of insecurity and low self esteem (i.e. i probably deserved it, i'm no good like he says so he needs to beat me into shape). don't tell her what to do as she'll tell her husband and it might become WWIII for her. just show her. become her best friend. let her understand that an argument should not degenerate into a beating ever (from the way you and your husband relate). introduce her to women who are making it on their own.

i feel sorry for her. i hope her eyes open sooner than later.
Re: Pain Is Love? by cantell(m): 3:09pm On Apr 11, 2010
spoilt:

You cannot help an abused woman till she is ready to break free. Usually it takes a near death experience to make the scale fall out of her eyes.
So true. There's nothing you can do except to leave her alone.
She might be enjoying the beating.(part of her sexual fantasy)
I read an article some years ago about a woman who deliberately drives her husband crazy just for him to beat her.
In her words,she said "whenever he beats me, he takes really good care of me and its the only time he's good in bed''
Can you imagine that?
Re: Pain Is Love? by Sissy3(f): 3:40am On Apr 12, 2010
cantell:

So true. There's nothing you can do except to leave her alone.
She might be enjoying the beating.(part of her sexual fantasy)
I read an article some years ago about a woman who deliberately drives her husband crazy just for him to beat her.
In her words,she said "whenever he beats me, he takes really good care of me and its the only time he's good in bed''
Can you imagine that?

thats very disgusting to read. i dont think any sane woman would tolerate such nonsense all in the name of sexual fantasy.

there is certainly a difference between spanking during sex and violent beating
Re: Pain Is Love? by cantell(m): 9:14am On Apr 12, 2010
~Sissy~:

thats very disgusting to read. i dont think any sane woman would tolerate such nonsense all in the name of sexual fantasy.

there is certainly a difference between spanking during intimacy and violent beating
Nothing is impossible. Haven't you heard of masochism?
Fantasy shouldn't be ruled out here.
It sounds weird but it could turn out to be true.
Re: Pain Is Love? by Outstrip(f): 2:21pm On Apr 12, 2010
You can be supportive but in most cases they will not leave until they are ready or until death makes the decision for them
Re: Pain Is Love? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 12, 2010
Re: Pain Is Love? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 12, 2010
Thank you for all of your replies! I really appreciate it.  One morning I wake to see 7 cop cars in my parking lot! It was insane! He was on the run and I CANNOT believe hes still there! Well anyway I was FINALLY able to speak with her (today!). She has two of her children still living with her and she is expecting. She is still hesitant to let me know if she will leave the loser but on the bright side I do suspect she has a plan.  I believe she will get through it smiley

@Ice blue ABSOLUTELY. At one point my mother went over to her home (which is adjacent to my apartment) and explained to the lady her [my moms] own experiences how she was able to get out and why it is imperative that she as a woman and a mother to get out, I dont know what happened but every since then (until this afternoon) she acted hostile towards us and the guy just doesnt even look in our direction. He used to make remarks (sexual in nature) to me infront of her and it always troubled me why she wouldnt say anything until the first time she ran to my home with blood dripping from her mouth (i was traumatized. . . bad memories!). I think she told him what we said because she was acting strange towards us.

to the person who mention sexual gratification when it comes to abuse, that is a sick REALITY. it is so real as disgusting as it is.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With A Wife Who Steal Your Money / Will The Decaying Economy Force More People To Stay Single / How Do You Feel For Girls That Woo A Man Or Asked Man Hand For Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.