Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k (2863 Views)

For A Budget Of ₦‎4M: Which Of These Cars Is Advisable To Buy? / Which SUV is Best For A Budget Of 1.4 Million? / Man Filmed Driving A Self-made Car On The Streets Of Lagos (photos) (2) (3) (4)

Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2018
So I need a disposable budget used car that can endure twice monthly journey of at least 1500km, with minimum headaches, please any suggestion from the elders here?? Someone was suggesting golf another suggested Ford focus and one say na Honda Abeg na free advise I de find o, even insult no wahala
location Abuja
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by yak(m): 4:25pm On Jan 11, 2018
kishimi8:
So I need a disposable budget used car that can endure twice monthly journey of at least 1500km, with minimum headaches, please any suggestion from the elders here?? Someone was suggesting golf another suggested Ford focus and one say na Honda Abeg na free advise I de find o, even insult no wahala

I don't know if that money will get corolla, the small 98-2002
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 4:26pm On Jan 11, 2018
yak:

I don't know if that money will get corolla, the small 98-2002
Is that a good one to get,??
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by Tyche(m): 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2018
cc:
Gazzuzz
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by 1BB007(m): 4:32pm On Jan 11, 2018
datsun 1996 angry
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 5:56pm On Jan 11, 2018
1BB007:
datsun 1996 angry

haha bro calm down na all fingers no de equal , abi you want make I use money I am supposed to do better thing with to go buy c class
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by Sacramento85(m): 9:26pm On Jan 11, 2018
A fairly used Mazda 626 automatic will do, very easy to maintain
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 11, 2018
Where is your location. I have a used honda bullet I bought about 2 years ago as tokunbo.

I used it briefly while working in Abeokuta and parked it in Ibadan when I was posted to Lagos last year.

The silencer still beings out water and its a perfect deal.

All the custom papers are intact. AC still freezing and I have never changed anything on the car.

Never changed a part, I work with a bank so the car is mostly parked all day cos am at work.

If you are interested please quote me. The car is in Ibadan.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 11, 2018
Guitarlife:
Where is your location. I have a used honda bullet I bought about 2 years ago as tokunbo.

I used it briefly while working in Abeokuta and parked it in Ibadan when I was posted to Lagos last year.

The silencer still brings out water and its a perfect deal.

All the custom papers are intact. AC still freezing and I have never changed anything on the car.

Never changed a part, I work with a bank so the car is mostly parked all day cos am at work.

Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 9:53pm On Jan 11, 2018
Guitarlife:

share the pics to my WhatsApp 07033406121
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by chidooh1: 6:33am On Jan 12, 2018
I think Mazda 626 automatic is okay for you, largely problem free and comfortable to drive.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by temmym4(m): 10:22pm On Jan 12, 2018
From your price range, i will recommend these cars of course based on my own experience.
1. Nissan Primera. '93 - '98 Manual/Nissan Almera '95 - '99

Definitely, my first choice of affordable cars anytime, any day.
Just like someone said once, just put fuel inside that car, and drive. It doesn't die. lol.

Used the Primera P10 for 2 years, used the Almera too for 2 years, i currently have the P11 version of Primera, though a second car now but spends more time on the road than the main. U might not even visit the mechanic as you can always attend to minor issues yourself.

Verdict.
As good as this models are, never you let it suffer when it comes to periodic servicing. It will tell on the engine.

The P11 version i bought was a nigerian used, even though it wasn't physically abused by the previous user, but you can tell from the engine as it smokes in the morning, though it seems to have corrected itself upon usage of a better engine oil. (probably the previous user hasn't been using the right oil)

Also, please for the sake of your purse, go for the Iron casted Engine 1.6 and not the Aluminium ones (1.8, 2.0) simply because it is easier to maintain and could stand abuse.
In case you are bent on buying the 2.0 Version, never ever buy if it smokes, if you do, prepare to change the engine as they don't do well with ringing, unlike the 1.6.

Fuel efficiency is superb too.
Take care of those car models and u ll enjoy it till you get tired of it

2. Audi 80
German machine. grin i will compare it to Nokia 3310 back then, this has been the toughest car i have ever used till date. Though out of vogue now but that ride na one rugged thingy. It will take absolutely every abuse. I am even wondering if that car ever dies grin
It has never disappointed me for once. Very fuel efficient too.

Verdict:
Quite out of vogue now, not so appealing to be candid.
But if u dont mind, it s worth it.

Golf 3.
Very reliable and fuel efficient too.
Just that the road noise puts me off, also problem of overheating seems to be a usual experience especially if u are the type that loves AC function.

3. Mazda 626. '97 Manual
Very strong and reliable.. Fuel efficiency is wonderful too.
The verdict is the same as most of every other Mazda 626.. "Engine issue"
626 users ll frown at me now but it is the truth anyway so learn to accept it.
Pay attention to your oil guage as when the car ages, the engine weakens, starts shorting oil and/or starts smoking. You don't know how far the previous user abused the car.
On this particular model, don't bother ringing, it s not Worth the money. Don't try it, just buy a new engine.

The list goes on and on but those are the ones i can remember and i have owned, (based on your current budget)

Please note that all the cars i mentioned are with Manual transmissions.
If you want an Automatic tranny, increase your budget as it might be tricky finding a well used Auto with your price,
And go check with a competent mechanic so u won't end up with a Lemon. I fear naija when it comes to using vehicles.

Focus is a good ride, a friend uses it. But to be candid, that ride is sweet only when u get it as Tokunbo, when it start having issues.. Hmmmm.

Honda is a sweet ride.. Ur budget will get u from Accords from 93 to 98 (Halla, bulldog, Bullet, babyboy)
The only issue i v got with Accords are the catastrophic and embarrassing leg pull.

No offence Honda Lovers, but i get to wonder why an abused model gets to look like a granny easily.

A car is as good as its maintenance. Treat it right and it will serve you well.

Also know this. Owning a car is not about Ego only. Driving one of the best car in town but struggling to put it on the road because of your purse or because of an illness it's got but u eventually went for it because u want to drive that particular model,

Be sincere with yourself, know what you can handle and maintain
Someone's Audi 80 spark plug could cost 150, That same plug for Camry could cost up to 5k. At the end of the day when Camry breaks down and the owner couldnt afford it at that particular moment, The owner of that working Audi is better off. Na to see Camry owner and offer him a lift self.
Think deeply before u make a choice.
God help you.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by mammanbawa: 10:45pm On Jan 12, 2018
temmym4:
From your price range, i will recommend these cars of course based on my own experience.

Just like someone said once, just put fuel inside that car, and drive. It doesn't die. lol.

Used the Primera P10 for 2 years, used the Almera too for 2 years, i currently have the P11 version of Primera, though a second car now but spends more time on the road than the main. U might not even visit the mechanic as you can always attend to minor issues yourself.

Verdict.
As good as this models are, never you let it suffer when it comes to periodic servicing. It will tell on the engine.

The P11 version i bought was a nigerian used, even though it wasn't physically abused by the previous user, but you can tell from the engine as it smokes in the morning, though it seems to have corrected itself upon usage of a better engine oil. (probably the previous user hasn't been using the right oil)

Also, please for the sake of your purse, go for the Iron casted Engine 1.6 and not the Aluminium ones (1.8, 2.0) simply because it is easier to maintain and could stand abuse.
In case you are bent on buying the 2.0 Version, never ever buy if it smokes, if you do, prepare to change the engine as they don't do well with ringing, unlike the 1.6.

2. Audi 80
German machine. grin i will compare it to Nokia 3310 back then, this has been the toughest car i have ever used till date. Though out of vogue now but that ride na one rugged thingy. It will take absolutely every abuse. I am even wondering if that car ever dies grin

Verdict:

Golf 3.
Just that the road noise puts me off, also problem of overheating seems to be a usual experience especially if u are the type that loves AC function.

3. Mazda 626. '97 Manual
Pay attention to your oil guage as when the car ages, the engine weakens, starts shorting oil and/or starts smoking. You don't know how far the previous user abused the car.
On this particular model, don't bother ringing, it s not Worth the money. Don't try it, just buy a new engine.

The list goes on and on but those are the ones i can remember and i have owned, (based on your current budget)

If you want an Automatic tranny, increase your budget as it might be tricky finding a well used Auto with your price,
And go check with a competent mechanic so u won't end up with a Lemon. I fear naija when it comes to using vehicles.

Focus is a good ride, a friend uses it. But to be candid, that ride is sweet only when u get it as Tokunbo, when it start having issues.. Hmmmm.

Honda is a sweet ride.. Ur budget will get u from Accords from 93 to 98 (Halla, bulldog, Bullet, babyboy)
The only issue i v got with Accords are the catastrophic and embarrassing leg pull.

No offence Honda Lovers, but i get to wonder why an abused model gets to look like a granny easily.

Also know this. Owning a car is not about Ego only. Driving one of the best car in town but struggling to put it on the road because of your purse or because of an illness it's got but u eventually went for it because u want to drive that particular model,

Someone's Audi 80 spark plug could cost 150, That same plug for Camry could cost up to 5k. At the end of the day when Camry breaks down and the owner couldnt afford it at that particular moment, The owner of that working Audi is better off. Na to see Camry owner and offer him a lift self.
God help you.
Perfectly typed, OP the ball is in your court.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 12:45am On Jan 13, 2018
temmym4:

Verdict.

2. Audi 80

Verdict:

Golf 3.

3. Mazda 626. '97 Manual

God help you.

Thank you for this, it put me in the right path.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by jaychubi: 1:58pm On Jan 13, 2018
Toyota Carina e

Strong and reliable

Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by OShepherd: 6:46pm On Jan 13, 2018
My take is for you to narrow down Ur choices to 2 or 3 cars, get maintenance gists from users in tandem with your budget or income because one thing is to buy a car but d most trivial part is maintenance! God b with U!!!
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by isika88: 8:31pm On Jan 13, 2018
gud evening sir,wat if u it for Uber business sir,am an Uber driver dat needs a car urgently sir,pls
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by isika88: 8:40pm On Jan 13, 2018
[quote author=Guitarlife post=64112012][/quote],pls sir,wat if u use the car for uber business sir,am an Uber driver dat needs a car urgently sir
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by All4good: 9:29am On Jan 14, 2018
A Toyota Camry 1999-2000 model (Pencil Light) is your perfect fit, budget wise and maintenance /parts availability across Nigeria.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by neyophl(m): 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2018
Can I get the pic on my whatsapp 08039537696. Am in Ibadan.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by neyophl(m): 9:24pm On Jan 14, 2018
Guitarlife:

Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by cardoctor(m): 10:00pm On Jan 14, 2018
Honda Hala 1992
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 11:07pm On Jan 14, 2018
cardoctor:
Honda Hala 1992
haha, very funny ,
i just settled for a golf at the end of the day

Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by Hersserbi3(f): 10:30am On Jan 15, 2018
[
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by Hersserbi3(f): 10:31am On Jan 15, 2018
kishimi8:

haha, very funny ,
i just settled for a golf at the end of the day

For how much bro
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by kishimi8(m): 10:37am On Jan 15, 2018
Hersserbi3:

For how much bro

Got a clean golf 4 ,from a friend for 450k, I just De pray make the thing no gimme issues until I part with it. since I hear say the car get wahala
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by ba7man(m): 4:48pm On Jan 15, 2018
neyophl:
I just saw an airconditioned 2 door manual golf 4 advertised in the auto section for around your budget.

You should check it out......i think it's tokunbo.
Re: Best Used Car On A Budget Of below 500k by ugreat(m): 12:27pm On Dec 28, 2018
kishimi8:

Got a clean golf 4 ,from a friend for 450k, I just De pray make the thing no gimme issues until I part with it. since I hear say the car get wahala

How has the experience been?

Need Help To Unlock My Stereo / Toyota Camry 2003 Fuel Consumption / Can Engine Ringing Solve Problem Of Smoking And weak engine

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68