Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:00 AM

NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply (512 Views)

NASU Threatens Nationwide Strike Over N22.1bn Earned Allowances Sharing Formula / CORONAVIRUS: LASG To Shut Down Schools / OAU To Generate Own Electricity And Offer Aeronautic Engineering As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 11, 2018
Joint Action Committees (JAC) of trade unions in the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), on Wednesday threatened to shut down electricity and water supply in the university. University of Nigeria Nsukka Trade unions: Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), Non-academic Staff Union of Universities (NASU) and National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT), said they were participating in the on-going strike to press for improved welfare.

Mr Paul Arua, UNN’s Chairman of JAC, told newsmen in Nsukka, that the nationwide strike of non-academic staff of universities would continue until the Federal Government meets demands of workers. “I am leading the enforcement team to ensure that no non-academic staff enters any office to work in UNN until government meets our demands, then national executives will suspend the strike. “As part of making the strike to be total in UNN, the enforcement team will on Wednesday shut down electricity and water supply in UNN.’’

He advised students that have returned to go back home as non-academic staff currently on nationwide strike would not allow offices and classrooms to open for office work or lecture. “The best thing for the students is to go home till non-academic staff suspend its strike; there will be no lectures, there will be no electricity and water supply in the university,” he said When contacted, the Chairman of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in UNN, Dr Ifeanyichukwu Abada, said lecturers were ready to teach students since ASUU was not on strike.

“Students are welcome back to campus and should prepare to receive lectures because lecturers will be coming to class to teach, ” he said. In swift reaction to the threat of non-academic staff of the university to shut down electricity and water supply , the Vice-Chancellor of UNN, Prof. Benjamin Ozumba, said what it means that leaders of non-academic staff in UNN have a hidden agenda.

“I know non-academic staff of universities are on nationwide strike, I have not heard any university where the union shut down electricity and water supply in campus. “Unless leaders of non-academic staff in UNN have hidden agenda and want to hide under the ongoing nationwide strike of non-academic staff to execute it,” he said. It would be recalled that UNN students were expected to resume academic activities on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018 after the Yuletide. NAN SSANU, NASU, NAAT shut down UNN, UniCal, RSUT others December 6, 2017 UNN postpones 2017 post-UTME screening exam September 9, 2017 UNN postpones its 2017 post-UTME screening exam September 9, 2017

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/nasu-others-threaten-disrupt-water-electricity-supply-unn/

Lalasticlala Bifrost Christejames
Re: NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply by christejames(m): 6:43pm On Jan 11, 2018
Statsocial:
Joint Action Committees (JAC) of trade unions in the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN), on Wednesday threatened to shut down electricity and water supply in the university. University of Nigeria Nsukka Trade unions: Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), Non-academic Staff Union of Universities (NASU) and National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT), said they were participating in the on-going strike to press for improved welfare.

Mr Paul Arua, UNN’s Chairman of JAC, told newsmen in Nsukka, that the nationwide strike of non-academic staff of universities would continue until the Federal Government meets demands of workers. “I am leading the enforcement team to ensure that no non-academic staff enters any office to work in UNN until government meets our demands, then national executives will suspend the strike. “As part of making the strike to be total in UNN, the enforcement team will on Wednesday shut down electricity and water supply in UNN.’’

He advised students that have returned to go back home as non-academic staff currently on nationwide strike would not allow offices and classrooms to open for office work or lecture. “The best thing for the students is to go home till non-academic staff suspend its strike; there will be no lectures, there will be no electricity and water supply in the university,” he said When contacted, the Chairman of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) in UNN, Dr Ifeanyichukwu Abada, said lecturers were ready to teach students since ASUU was not on strike.

“Students are welcome back to campus and should prepare to receive lectures because lecturers will be coming to class to teach, ” he said. In swift reaction to the threat of non-academic staff of the university to shut down electricity and water supply , the Vice-Chancellor of UNN, Prof. Benjamin Ozumba, said what it means that leaders of non-academic staff in UNN have a hidden agenda.

“I know non-academic staff of universities are on nationwide strike, I have not heard any university where the union shut down electricity and water supply in campus. “Unless leaders of non-academic staff in UNN have hidden agenda and want to hide under the ongoing nationwide strike of non-academic staff to execute it,” he said. It would be recalled that UNN students were expected to resume academic activities on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018 after the Yuletide. NAN SSANU, NASU, NAAT shut down UNN, UniCal, RSUT others December 6, 2017 UNN postpones 2017 post-UTME screening exam September 9, 2017 UNN postpones its 2017 post-UTME screening exam September 9, 2017

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/nasu-others-threaten-disrupt-water-electricity-supply-unn/

Well, it's nothing to be perturbed about. UNN is a school that has long devised a way of circumventing this industrial actions. I know it won't hamper or alter the academic calendar of the school which has been on course for more than a decade and adjudged her among the fastest schools in the country.

Be that as it may, I am very much happy for the 60MW coal powered plant which the University just inaugurated; in conjunction with Milhouse international to provide reliable, uninterrupted power supply to the school and the surrounding community (google it or visit the school site). When this is done, associations like this NASU that is threatening to shut down the power supply will lick their wounds.

1 Like

Re: NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 11, 2018
christejames:

Well, it's nothing to be perturbed about. UNN is a school that has long devised a way of circumventing this industrial actions. I know it won't hamper or alter the academic calendar of the school which has been on course for more than a decade and adjudged her among the fastest schools in the country.

Be that as it may, I am very much happy for the 60MW coal powered plant which the University just inaugurated; in conjunction with Milhouse international to provide reliable, uninterrupted power supply to the school and the surrounding community (google it or visit the school site). When this is done, associations like this NASU that is threatening to shut down the power supply will lick their wounds.
Wow! 60MW is a lot! 60MW can power 15 universities the size of UNN-i hope there is proper funding available for it and wouldn't those workers of such plant be unionised by NASU?

1 Like

Re: NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply by Bifrost: 8:03pm On Jan 11, 2018
Statsocial:

I read the news as soon as the report came in. It's funny when NASU-UNN threatens to shutdown academic activities. It would be a futile attempt. UNN academic calendar has been stable for close to a decade. Hence, this ploy by NASU is sure to fail.

And I must say, Non Academic staff in UNN are among the laziest set of civil servants in the country. I am pained by this because I know students who have suffered because of their laisser faire attitude. I wonder if this is same in other public universities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply by Bifrost: 8:06pm On Jan 11, 2018
Statsocial:

Wow! 60MW is a lot! 60MW can power 15 universities the size of UNN-i hope there is proper funding available for it and wouldn't those workers of such plant be unionised by NASU?

It's properly funded. And the project also hopes to solve the electricity needs of neighbouring communities.

1 Like

Re: NASU threatens to Shut UNN's Electricity and Water Supply by christejames(m): 9:09pm On Jan 11, 2018
Statsocial:

They won't dare do that cause the project, I think, would be managed by the international firm that are constructing it. Moreover, the school intend using it to also train her students; engineers, and also create some sort of job opportunity for her students.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How 12 Students Of Osun State Uni Died Of Gas Explosion In The Lab / Direct Entry Regularisation Issue / Between Usmanu Danfodiyo Pure Chm And Remedials Unijos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.