Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,658 members, 7,823,863 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney (490 Views)

Doctor Noah Kekere Harvested Patient's Kidney - PIDOMNIGERIA / Dr. Maduka Performing Spinal Surgery On Patient In Las Vegas (Video) / Chinese Doctor Ling Zhipei Performs Remote Brain Surgery On Patient 3,000km Away (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney by gimmehear(f): 5:41am On Jan 13, 2018
A surgeon who admitted branding his initials on the livers of two patients undergoing transplants at a British hospital was fined Friday and sentenced to carry out unpaid community work.

Simon Bramhall, 53, used an argon beam machine to burn his initials on the organs of two anaesthetised victims in February and August 2013.

“What you did was an abuse of power and a betrayal of trust that these patients had invested in you,” judge Paul Farrer told him at Birmingham Crown Court.

Bramhall was sentenced to a 12-month community order, meaning he will carry out 120 hours of unpaid work, and fined $13,650.

“Both of the (transplant) operations were long and difficult,” Farrer said.

“I accept that on both occasions you were tired and stressed and I accept that this may have affected your judgement. This was conduct born of professional arrogance of such magnitude that it strayed into criminal behaviour.

“I accept that you didn’t intend or foresee anything but the most trivial of harm would be caused.”

Another surgeon spotted Bramhall’s initials on one of the livers. The branding was four centimetres (1.5 inches) high.

He told police it had been a misguided attempt to relieve the tension in the operating theatre.

Bramhall resigned from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, central England, in 2014.

The consultant was given a formal warning by the General Medical Council professional body last February.

He now works for the state-run National Health Service in Hertfordshire, north of London.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital said in a statement: “Mr. Bramhall made a mistake in the context of a complex clinical situation and this has been dealt with via the appropriate authorities.

“There was no impact whatsoever on the quality of his clinical outcomes.”
As a matter of concern, I strictly believe he could have being given a higher punishment than doing community service? Who knows if at the end of the day what he might do next to his patient.

http://gimmehear.com/surgeon-fined-writing-name-patients-kidney/
Re: Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney by gimmehear(f): 5:42am On Jan 13, 2018
gimmehear:

A surgeon who admitted branding his initials on the livers of two patients undergoing transplants at a British hospital was fined Friday and sentenced to carry out unpaid community work.

Simon Bramhall, 53, used an argon beam machine to burn his initials on the organs of two anaesthetised victims in February and August 2013.

“What you did was an abuse of power and a betrayal of trust that these patients had invested in you,” judge Paul Farrer told him at Birmingham Crown Court.

Bramhall was sentenced to a 12-month community order, meaning he will carry out 120 hours of unpaid work, and fined $13,650.

“Both of the (transplant) operations were long and difficult,” Farrer said.

“I accept that on both occasions you were tired and stressed and I accept that this may have affected your judgement. This was conduct born of professional arrogance of such magnitude that it strayed into criminal behaviour.

“I accept that you didn’t intend or foresee anything but the most trivial of harm would be caused.”

Another surgeon spotted Bramhall’s initials on one of the livers. The branding was four centimetres (1.5 inches) high.

He told police it had been a misguided attempt to relieve the tension in the operating theatre.

Bramhall resigned from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, central England, in 2014.

The consultant was given a formal warning by the General Medical Council professional body last February.

He now works for the state-run National Health Service in Hertfordshire, north of London.

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital said in a statement: “Mr. Bramhall made a mistake in the context of a complex clinical situation and this has been dealt with via the appropriate authorities.

“There was no impact whatsoever on the quality of his clinical outcomes.”
As a matter of concern, I strictly believe he could have being given a higher punishment than doing community service? Who knows if at the end of the day what he might do next to his patient.

http://gimmehear.com/surgeon-fined-writing-name-patients-kidney/
Lalasticlala
Re: Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney by jeffizy(m): 5:52am On Jan 13, 2018
Technology overdrive!

I marvel at the Success and sometimes inexplicable breakthrough medicine has recorded in recent times.
But the doctor's actions are a bit off the top.

It's a kind of devaluation of the organs.... In case the owners think of giving it out to another.
Re: Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney by Mrjo(m): 5:54am On Jan 13, 2018
Fined in $ instead of £ or €

Re: Surgeon Fined For Writing His Name On Patient's Kidney by BlackDBagba: 6:57am On Jan 13, 2018
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Advantages Of Urology Surgery In India For Nigeria Nationals / 17 Super Foods To Improve Prostate Health / How To Know Your Liver Could Be In Trouble

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.