Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Fire Razed Down Ibadan Plank Market, Goods, Equipment Worth Over N100m Destroyed - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Fire Razed Down Ibadan Plank Market, Goods, Equipment Worth Over N100m Destroyed (389 Views)

NASU Shuts Down Ibadan Poly / Breaking News :fire Outbreak In Plank Market, Sango Ibadan / Tajudeen Alabi, NULGE Chairman Burnt To Death As Fire Razed Shops In Ikire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fire Razed Down Ibadan Plank Market, Goods, Equipment Worth Over N100m Destroyed by Groovenaija360(m): 6:58am On Jan 13, 2018
About 100 shops and goods worth over N100m were burnt by fire on Friday at Sango Plank Market in Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State.

According to Chairman of Ibadan Carpenters’ Association, Ibadan North Local Government Area, Mr Abdul-Akeem Olanrewaju, he told news men of the sudden incident, that the blaze was said to have started at about 2 am.

He also said that the fire would have destroyed the entire market and some houses around, if not for the quick intervention of the Oyo State Fire Service.

Mr Abdul also alleged that the fire out break must have been caused by fire-raiser, adding that there was a law that every shop must close by 7 p.m.

He said “We have a task force that usually goes out on patrol at the close of the market to ensure that no electrical appliance or machine is left connected to power supply.

“We also have night guards. I don’t think this fire disaster was from power supply and our machines”.

One of the affected traders, Mr Abdul-Azeez Dauda, while reacting confirmed that he had lost everything in the market to the blaze, adding that it would affect his livelihood and that of his family.

He said “How do I survive? How do I pay the school fees of my children? How do we eat at home now? Honestly, I don’t know what to do. I need assistance.‎”

The Director, Oyo State Fire Service, Mr Moshood Adewuyi, while speaking at the scene of the fire incident said that the fire brigade swiftly mobilised to the scene following a distress call was made to his office.

Adewuyi lamented the extent of damage and urged the traders to be careful with their working tools and abide by all safety procedures, saying fire almost gutted the surrounding houses.

“When I got there, I learnt the fire started from a shop. They said the electricity supply was on when the fire started.

“So, one of the machines might have overrun leading to the fire outbreak. The traders deal with free burning materials that quickly ignite and spread”.

>>> https://groovenaija360.com.ng/fire-razed-down-ibadan-plank-market-goods-equipment-worth-over-n100m-destroyed/

Re: Fire Razed Down Ibadan Plank Market, Goods, Equipment Worth Over N100m Destroyed by Flexherbal(m): 7:08am On Jan 13, 2018
Such a great loss !

(1) (Reply)

Youths Protest Poor Power Supply In Niger State / Shelve Your Visit To Kano Or Face Wrath Of The Law, Police Warn Kwankwaso / Facebook User Took To The Street To Give To The Needy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.