Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

African Traditional Religion Thread. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / African Traditional Religion Thread. (1941 Views)

NL Traditional Religion Thread / Images From Igbo Traditional Religion (Odinani) / Nairaland Such A Big Church On Sunday,see Folks Viewing Religion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 1:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
Following numerous thread here for both the Christians muslims atheist and non atheist alike. I think we would be doing great injustice to the African traditional practitioners if they are not given a to discuss their own religion.

First I strongly believe in our tradition.

Feel free to share your experiences

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 1:42pm On Jan 14, 2018
tjmc:
Following numerous thread here for both the Christians muslims atheist and non atheist alike. I think we would be doing great injustice to the African traditional practitioners if they are not given a to discuss their own religion.

First I strongly believe in our tradition.

Feel free to share your experiences

I like this thread.

I as a person leans well on the African traditional religion. I have always had the idea that us as Africans abandoning this religion to adopt foreign ones is stupid on our own part.

I am currently writing a story to bring African mythology to the modern world "Legends of Amadioha" and after this numerous seminars and talk shows will follow.

I am glad to be here and ready to answer questions of Igbo religion and spirituality

7 Likes

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by chaarly(m): 1:42pm On Jan 14, 2018
well, for me, ATR, despite some of their 'satanic' practices have some positive advantages credited to them. I'll list only three (3)

1) Belief in Life After Death
it is believed that death is not the end of Life, it is a journey, they equally believe in two worlds which comprises of the spiritual and physical world. the spiritual world comprises of (a) the abode of the ancestors (b) the abode of the evil spirits. they also consider this world to be a market place where after 'buying and selling' one goes home to count his loss or gains. lemmi just summarize this one. those who do good go to the abode of the ancestors, those who do bad go to the abode of the evil spirits where they suffer. (the essence of this is that the life you're living on earth matters a lot and there are consequences and rewards for every action and inaction. so take note)

2. Marriage/Family
Marriage/Family in a Traditional African society is very important and Sacramental (so also is Birth, death, naming ceremonies, etc)
AFRICANS DO NOT BELIEVE IN DIVORCE!! no matter the circumstances involved. (divorce in our today's society is alien to us please let's drop it) people dont just date for 1week and get married in ATR
before marriage is done in an African society, thorough investigations are made concerning the persons involved and their families. for example, if it is found out that there is a trace of mental illness in a family, people are discouraged from getting married from such a family. Also, the family is where a child or the children learn about core values of the society, cultures, traditions. not TV (how to pound yam, make delicious egusi soup with goat meat, served with palm wine and not how to buy poundo yam or make indomie for your husband with coke or fanta so you can kill him with cancer and diabetes angry

(3) Belief in God
Africans believe in God oo. (please Atheists take note. Atheism is Alien to African culture and tradition! if your skin is black, and you still go on to say and conclude there is no God, you better check your roots. you've missed it. God(aka The Supreme Being) is known with different names (chukwu, chineke for Igbo, olodumare for Yoruba, Oghene for Delta, Allah for Hausa etc.
and it is believed that God is the creator of the universe but however cannot be approached directly but through 'intermediaries' (but Thank God for Jesus wink hahahahaha Amen? cheesy)

lemmi stop here
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by sonofluc1fer: 1:48pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

I am glad to be here and ready to answer questions of Igbo religion and spirituality
Was the Igbo religion (Odinani) also broken into sects like we have in Christianity? What was its philosophy?
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2018
sonofluc1fer:

Was the Igbo religion (Odinani) also broken into sects like we have in Christianity?

I would say No. Though, the Religion recognizes many Gods and spirits. This means distinct shrines and modes of worship and festivals peculiar to varying Gods. A close to affinity to a particular God by maybe an individual or community more than any other.

And small cults that are formed most times exclusive to a particular God.

What was its philosophy?

Philosophy of Odinani?

2 Likes

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by vaxx: 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2018
What should we discuss.... Op
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2018
Let me start by sharing an experience by my brothers wife.

A cousin of hers was give poison to eat. He fell sick and was dying by the day. They took him to various prayer houses for solution but to no avail. The situation was getting worse. He was quickly transiting ton the world beyond.
When the news got home of the boy dying as a result of him eating poison here in lagos. The parents quickly ordered he be sent home for immediate solution.
He was taken back home to nsukka alumona to be precise.
Arrangement was made for him to be taken to Enugu ezike for possible solution. He was taken to the house of an atr practitioner.
After accessing the situation the atr practitioner said he would make him vomit the poison and then send it back to the person who poisoned him.
They agreed and within minutes the cousin vomited the poison and was totally restored.

She later told me that the atr practitioners in Enugu e ezike are very powerful in this regard.

I've opened the floor. You can share yours now especially those from Benue osun etc
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by hypemarket(m): 2:00pm On Jan 14, 2018
sonofluc1fer:

Was the Igbo religion (Odinani) also broken into sects like we have in Christianity? What was its philosophy?

any religion can break into different sects provided there is this huge void of wants and greed in man.
Me sef want to start my religion tho'
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 2:04pm On Jan 14, 2018
hypemarket:

any religion can break into different sects provided there is this huge void of wants and greed in man.
Me sef want to start my religion tho'

The main variation of sects and denominations are varying dogmas, doctrines and theological philosophies. The doctrines of Igbo odinani are pretty basic and give little room for uncalled variations.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 2:15pm On Jan 14, 2018
Please can u shed more light on the Spirituality aspect BC most of us have lost touch with our native tradition as a result of not being born and raised at home

johnydon22:

I like this thread.

I as a person leans well on the African traditional religion. I have always had the idea that us as Africans abandoning this religion to adopt foreign ones is stupid on our own part.

I am currently writing a story to bring African mythology to the modern world "Legends of Amadioha" and after this numerous seminars and talk shows will follow.

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by sonofluc1fer: 2:25pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

I would say No. Though, the Religion recognizes many Gods and spirits. This means distinct shrines and modes of worship and festivals peculiar to varying Gods. A close to affinity to a particular God by maybe an individual or community more than any other.

And small cults that are formed most times exclusive to a particular God.
Wouldn't you consider those small cults sects too? Also, are these Gods different manifestations of one God, or do they act of their own volition/will?

johnydon22:

Philosophy of Odinani?
Nature of God.
Man's place in God's world.
Man's relationship/interaction with God.

I grew up in a Christian home and knew only Christianity until early in my adult life. My transformation to an atheist hasn't dislodged completely some ideas I had about God when I was Christian.

I find it's better to have a general idea of a religion, or gain some sort of familiarisation with the basic concepts/ideas, before going deeper.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 4:20pm On Jan 14, 2018
sonofluc1fer:

Wouldn't you consider those small cults sects too?

Think of it like cult branches in a religion. Example. Cult of Saint Anthony of Padua and Opus dei in Catholic church

Also, are these Gods different manifestations of one God, or do they act of their own volition/will?

Independent beings created by Chukwu (Spirits of Natural manifestations)

Nature of God.
Man's place in God's world.
Man's relationship/interaction with God.

Will answer this with my laptop

I grew up in a Christian home and knew only Christianity until early in my adult life. My transformation to an atheist hasn't dislodged completely some ideas I had about God when I was Christian.

I find it's better to have a general idea of a religion, or gain some sort of familiarisation with the basic concepts/ideas, before going deeper.

Didn't you and I want to write a book on Odinani?
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by Tozara(m): 4:24pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

Think of it like cult branches in a religion. Example. Cult of Saint Anthony of Padua and Opus dei in Catholic church

Independent beings created by Chukwu (Spirits of Natural manifestations)

Will answer this with my laptop

Hi, Johnydon.

Opera Mini no longer opens your website?
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by dalaman: 4:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
African traditional religions need to be reformed, but unfortunately it has few adherents that are contemporary and educated. Most priest are illiterates that reside in remote villages.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by sonofluc1fer: 4:39pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

Yeah, I still want to. But I all have is book knowledge, which isnt really knowledge. I want something practical..unfortunately, i couldnt visit villa this past holidays.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by sonofluc1fer: 4:41pm On Jan 14, 2018
dalaman:
Most priest are illiterates that reside in remote villages.
This especially. And then also, a lot of scammers/fakes esp those on fb..even one or two or NL.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by dalaman: 4:45pm On Jan 14, 2018
sonofluc1fer:

This especially. And then also, a lot of scammers/fakes esp those on fb..even one or two or NL.

All of them are scammers. Traditional African religion is associated with evil everywhere. If you want to harm another person them you go to the ATR priest to do that, you want to make money, same thing, you want to dominate others, same thing. ATR is ONLY associated with magic and nothing else. The priest have oversized powers accorded to them by members of the public and they always abuse it.

People don't practice ATR for personal upliftment only for one evil or selfish aim or the other.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tartar9(m): 4:51pm On Jan 14, 2018
Hmm...how can I make my own submission of human heads?
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 6:01pm On Jan 14, 2018
Not true. Even islam is has the same element of the things you wrote.
Did you see my secon post on the poisoned guy.
dalaman:

All of them are scammers. Traditional African religion is associated with evil everywhere. If you want to harm another person them you go to the ATR priest to do that, you want to make money, same thing, you want to dominate others, same thing. ATR is ONLY associated with magic and nothing else. The priest have oversized powers accorded to them by members of the public and they always abuse it.

People don't practice ATR for personal upliftment only for one evil or selfish aim or the other.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:50pm On Jan 14, 2018
sonofluc1fer:

Those are not traditionalists... There is a difference between a Dibia and someone wearing Bollywood costumes..

Dibias don't even bother with the funny wardrobe
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:51pm On Jan 14, 2018
dalaman:
African traditional religions need to be reformed, but unfortunately it has few adherents that are contemporary and educated. Most priest are illiterates that reside in remote villages.

Reformed?

Yes.

But the fundamental principles of Odinani maintained...

Illiterates? It depends on our definition of that word though
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:52pm On Jan 14, 2018
sonofluc1fer:

Yeah, I still want to. But I all have is book knowledge, which isnt really knowledge. I want something practical..unfortunately, i couldnt visit villa this past holidays.

My uncle who was a Dibia died this October. There are many old men and knowledgeable dibias we can meet.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 6:54pm On Jan 14, 2018
dalaman:

You watch a lot of Nollywood brother

Then you haven't met those who practise Odinani .. Probably drew your judgement from hear say and Nollywood hoolla balloo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by tjmc: 7:54pm On Jan 14, 2018
Please can you shed more light on the concept of Chi and ikenga.

For someone who want it activated where can it possibly be done

johnydon22:

My uncle who was a Dibia died this October. There are many old men and knowledgeable dibias we can meet.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by dalaman: 7:55pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

You watch a lot of Nollywood brother

Then you haven't met those who practise Odinani .. Probably drew your judgement from hear say and Nollywood hoolla balloo

grin. I haven't met much people that practice ATR . The few ones ive met display the Nollywood outlook.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 8:16pm On Jan 14, 2018
dalaman:

grin. I haven't met much people that practice ATR . The few ones ive met display the Nollywood outlook.

I really doubt those are dibias. Anybody can set up a shrine to what ever spiritual stuff they want to claim. But being a dibia is more than just claiming it or setting up a shrine.

That someone has a shrine set up with red clothes doesn't necessarily mean such a person practice the traditional religion or is a dibia.

There are some important questions like:

What Alusi is the shrine dedicated to?
On whose authority was his/her dibia status confirmed or conferred.

Dibias don't have those Nollywood gittup, nope not at all. That is just a representation of a generation marred by Ignorance and Abrahamic bigotry bent on painting the African traditional values black

1 Like 1 Share

Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by dalaman: 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

I really doubt those are dibias. Anybody can set up a shrine to what ever spiritual stuff they want to claim. But being a dibia is more than just claiming it or setting up a shrine.

That someone has a shrine set up with red clothes doesn't necessarily mean such a person practice the traditional religion or is a dibia.

There are some important questions like:

What Alusi is the shrine dedicated to?
On whose authority was his/her dibia status confirmed or conferred.

Dibias don't have those Nollywood gittup, nope not at all. That is just a representation of a generation marred by Ignorance and Abrahamic bigotry bent on painting the African traditional values black

Roger.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by johnydon22(m): 8:24pm On Jan 14, 2018
tjmc:

Please can you shed more light on the concept of Chi
Personal God

Chi means God in Igbo linguistics that is why the supreme God in Igbo pentheon is called Chukwu, a lingual sum of the word "Chi" and "Ukwu"

But on this note "Chi" is just God and it is personal. Peculiar to every individual. Everyone have their own Chi and your Chi determines your fate. Nothing happens or will happen without your Chi's approval and therefore you must at all times be in good terms with your chi because your Chi is like a spiritual essence that defines you.

The spiritual essence that defines your fate and life.

and ikenga.
God of power, war, strength and wealth. Functions as an Alusi but also can be made a personal patron.

For someone who want it activated where can it possibly be done

According to Igbo cosmogony. Everyone alive already has a Chi. So basically your Chi is there already you only need to make a connection with your Chi.

Doesn't necessarily have to include a physical shrine for your personal God but that helps amplifies the powers of your chi in this natural world.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by correctguy101(m): 9:02pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:

I like this thread.

Please do mention me when it's ready and direct me to any of the talks.

I'm only a bit versed in Yoruba traditional beliefs, not even my own Delta (know absolutely nothing about it undecided )

Would appreciate it mate.. wink
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by sonofluc1fer: 9:08pm On Jan 14, 2018
pagan9ja, how far?
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by correctguy101(m): 9:11pm On Jan 14, 2018
tjmc:
Please can u shed more light on the Spirituality aspect BC most of us have lost touch with our native tradition as a result of not being born and raised at home

Exactly...

I'm from Delta State but I know about Yoruba traditional beliefs more than that of where I'm from. Was born in the Yoruba land.

But I'm very greedy. I want to know what they all talk about, not just one. I believe it's all nature worship and I'm okay with any nature worshipper, ( if u've met as much nature worshippers that I have met, you would feel same)..

And don't mind all those Nollywood nonsense. Na ignorance plus mumu dey worry them.
Re: African Traditional Religion Thread. by correctguy101(m): 9:25pm On Jan 14, 2018
johnydon22:
Personal God

Chi means God in Igbo linguistics that is why the supreme God in Igbo pentheon is called Chukwu, a lingual sum of the word "Chi" and "Ukwu"

But on this note "Chi" is just God and it is personal. Peculiar to every individual. Everyone have their own Chi and your Chi determines your fate. Nothing happens or will happen without your Chi's approval and therefore you must at all times be in good terms with your chi because your Chi is like a spiritual essence that defines you.

The spiritual essence that defines your fate and life.

God of power, war, strength and wealth. Functions as an Alusi but also can be made a personal patron.

According to Igbo cosmogony. Everyone alive already has a Chi. So basically your Chi is there already you only need to make a connection with your Chi.

Doesn't necessarily have to include a physical shrine for your personal God but that helps amplifies the powers of your chi in this natural world.

I said it before. The pagans are United in belief. A personal chi, a personal Ori..... all same but different terms cos of language.

And the rest rhymes. Alusi and Orisas et all.

I read somewhere that"pagans" once meant "real dwellers" or "people of the land".

This forced maturity is hurting Africa abeg.... undecided

Where's Folykaze when you need him?

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

IN Memory Of Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa . 20 Years In Mind. / JUST IN: Prophet TB Joshua Appears In Church, Ascends With Angels / Is There Another Life After This Life? True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.