Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,292 members, 7,815,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? (887 Views)

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To The Lord As A Burnt Offering? / List Of Churches Not Ready For Reopening In Lagos, Ogun / Why Are Christians Not Practicing This Commandment Of Jesus? Topic they avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Yungmil: 1:57pm On Jan 14, 2018
these are practices that are done before but hardly seen these days.
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Jochabed(f): 1:59pm On Jan 14, 2018
Because Jesus have come,and he paid the ultimate sacrifice for us all.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Xinba(f): 2:11pm On Jan 14, 2018
Yungmil:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

They will not get money doing that, they select tithe which is also part of old convenant because it brings money to their pocket

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Seun(m): 2:51pm On Jan 14, 2018
Jochabed:
Because Jesus have come,and he paid the ultimate sacrifice for us all.
Actually, in the Old Testament, burnt offerings were not offered primarily for the forgiveness of sins. They were offered to please God. When burnt offerings were made, the smell would rise up into the sky where God lived and God would enjoy the smell and bless the person making the sacrifice. For example, when Solomon offered 1,000** animals to God (2 Chronicles 1), God was so pleased that He appeared to Solomon in the night and said, “ask me for anything you want”

To my knowledge, there is no biblical reason why a Christian cannot offer burnt offerings to God just to make God happy and get blessed. In fact, a Christian who gives burnt offerings to God in this day and age should expect unique blessings, because it would be a very unique gift to God, just like Solomon’s 1,000 burnt offerings.

** This post has been corrected.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by rayopt(m): 2:57pm On Jan 14, 2018
Seun:

Actually, in the Old Testament, burnt offerings were not offered primarily for the forgiveness of sins. They were offered to please God. When burnt offerings were made, the smell would rise up into the sky where God lived and God would enjoy the smell and bless the person making the sacrifice. For example, when Solomon offered 142,000 animals to God (2 Chronicles 7:5), God was so pleased that He made Solomon the wisest man in the world.

To my knowledge, there is no biblical reason why a Christian cannot offer burnt offerings to God just to make God happy and get blessed. In fact, a Christian who gives burnt offerings to God in this day and age should expect unique blessings, because it would be a very unique gift to God, just like Solomon’s 142,000 burnt offerings.

rotflol. . . .

Wish i can see your face while you type this shii. . .

No More burnt offering again!! This is 21st Century. .Bring Your Tithe!

Christ said 'it is finished!'

1 Like

Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 14, 2018
Seun:

Actually, in the Old Testament, burnt offerings were not offered primarily for the forgiveness of sins. They were offered to please God. When burnt offerings were made, the smell would rise up into the sky where God lived and God would enjoy the smell and bless the person making the sacrifice. For example, when Solomon offered 142,000 animals to God (2 Chronicles 7:5), God was so pleased that He made Solomon the wisest man in the world.

To my knowledge, there is no biblical reason why a Christian cannot offer burnt offerings to God just to make God happy and get blessed. In fact, a Christian who gives burnt offerings to God in this day and age should expect unique blessings, because it would be a very unique gift to God, just like Solomon’s 142,000 burnt offerings.
Lol
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Seun(m): 9:12pm On Jan 14, 2018
rayopt:
No More burnt offering again!! This is 21st Century. .Bring Your Tithe!

Christ said 'it is finished!'
According to Christian theology, burnt offerings for the forgiveness of sin are no longer required, because of the human sacrifice of Jesus Christ. However, there is no biblical indication that God’s love of the smell of burnt meat - which was discovered by Abel - has disappeared.

Unless you are saying that the real purpose of burnt offerings was to provide priests with free suya meat and that burnt offerings are now outdated because modern day priests (pastors) would rather have cash.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by damosky12(m): 10:37pm On Jan 14, 2018
THE CHURCH NEVER DID BURNT OFFERINGS.
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by damosky12(m): 10:44pm On Jan 14, 2018
Seun:

The problem with you self acclaimed atheists is the illusion that you know so much. Well, I wouldn't bore you with much exegesis. I'll just post you a clear portion of the scripture that'll help your "knowledge".

Hebrews 10:1-10
[1]For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
[2]For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
[3]But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
[4]For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
[5]Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
[6]In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
[7]Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
[8]Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
[9]Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
[10]By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by MuttleyLaff: 12:32am On Jan 15, 2018
Seun:
Actually, in the Old Testament, burnt offerings were not offered primarily for the forgiveness of sins.
They were offered to please God. When burnt offerings were made, the smell would rise up into the sky where God lived and God would enjoy the smell and bless the person making the sacrifice.

For example,
when Solomon offered 142,000 animals to God
(2 Chronicles 7:5),
God was so pleased that He made Solomon the wisest man in the world.
To my knowledge, there is no biblical reason why a Christian cannot offer burnt offerings to God just to make God happy and get blessed.
In fact, a Christian who gives burnt offerings to God in this day and age should expect unique blessings, because it would be a very unique gift to God, just like Solomon’s 142,000 burnt offerings

damosky12:
The problem with you self acclaimed atheists is the illusion that you know so much.
Well, I wouldn't bore you with much exegesis.
I'll just post you a clear portion of the scripture that'll help your "knowledge".
Hebrews 10:1-10
[1]For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
[2]For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
[3]But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
[4]For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
[5]Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
[6]In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
[7]Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
[8]Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
[9]Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
[10]By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11God said to Solomon,
"Because your greatest desire is to help your people,
and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life,
but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people
12I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested.
But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!"

- 2 Chronicles 1:12

I disconcur with that statement that God was so pleased that He made Solomon the wisest man in the world because Solomon offered 142,000 animals to God (2 Chronicles 7:5),
Solomon was made the wisest man in the world because he got his prayer request priority right
and not because of the 142,000 burnt offerings used as part of the completed building of the temple dedication ceremony
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by themonk(m): 8:37am On Jan 15, 2018
Seun:

According to Christian theology, burnt offerings for the forgiveness of sin are no longer required, because of the human sacrifice of Jesus Christ. However, there is no biblical indication that God’s love of the smell of burnt meat - which was discovered by Abel - has disappeared.

Unless you are saying that the real purpose of burnt offerings was to provide priests with free suya meat and that burnt offerings are now outdated because modern day priests (pastors) would rather have cash.
grin
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by MightySparrow: 8:44am On Jan 15, 2018
Tell your pastor to start.
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by petra1(m): 9:08am On Jan 15, 2018
Yungmil:

Burnt offerings were Sin offering . Jesus became our sin sacrifice
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by yanshDoctor: 9:21am On Jan 15, 2018
Seun:

but you are not a christian. so you dont have to speak for them. the only burnt offering Christian can partake in is candle lighting or oil lamp lighting. no need for livestock. which catholic are already doing.
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Jan 15, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I disconcur with that statement that God was so pleased that He made Solomon the wisest man in the world because Solomon offered 142,000 animals to God (2 Chronicles 7:5),
You are right. The incident I had in mind was when Solomon offered 1,000 animals to God and God appeared to him in the night and said “ask me for anything you want!” and he asked for wisdom (2 Chronicles 1).
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by danvon(m): 12:37pm On Jan 15, 2018
Churches never practiced animal sacrifice
Re: Why Are Churches Not Practicing Burnt Offering Anymore? by yanshDoctor: 1:34pm On Jan 15, 2018
Seun:

You are right. The incident I had in mind was when Solomon offered 1,000 animals to God and God appeared to him in the night and said “ask me for anything you want!” and he asked for wisdom (2 Chronicles 1).
its just the faith for killing such number of animals and not the animals. you don't need to destroy such number of animals just give it to God and wait for instruction on what to do with it or give it to the poor. he will received it. just like when God test Abraham to kill his son.

(1) (Reply)

Could This Be A Sign That God Is Real? Angel Caught On Camera (video) / Springs Int'l Worship Centre Presents Generation Next 2018 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.