Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,584 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect (2333 Views)

Ways To Mitigate Climate Change In Agriculture / Agric Minister Calls For Stronger Regulation To Mitigate Rejection From Nigeri / How Can Your Snails Survive During This Harmattan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by hybridveggies(m): 3:30am On Jan 15, 2018
Harmattan and good seed germination seems to be on opposite side. Harmattan is a season in West African subcontinent which often occurs between the months of Late November and Early March; it is characterized by dry and dusty wind often with cold temperature. This cold temperature has an overbearing effect on seed germination around this period. This effect is similar to effect of early frost in western countries. If you plant to nurse your seeds around this time, in order to get good germination rate, then you must put in some measures. Let’s look at it from the next question.

How and what does seed need to germination?
For seed to germinate there is a need for combine effect of heat and moisture. The heat is often provided by both the mother Earth and ambient temperature. If these two factors are present, the seed would germinate. What happen during harmattan or early frost season is that, moisture may be supplied but without sufficient heat which is often the characteristic of this season, the seed may not germinate at all or may not attain good germination percentage. The economic effect of failed or poor germination can be very costly; for this reason, there is a need to equip yourself with measures to circumvent the effect of harmattan if you must propagate around this time.

How to increase germination
The following measures are expected to be taking into consideration if you need to nurse your seeds around this season.
- Start seeds indoor: In order to provide good germination-enabled ambient temperature, it is required you start seeds nursing indoor. This room temperature which would unlikely drop too low even during the night hour is good for germination. In this instance, it means you may need to use seed trays, nursing cups or similar medium which make nursing indoor a thing of ease. However, you must note that after germination, the seedlings needed to be taking outside to enable them access direct sunlight unless you can provide that artificially.

- Use black polythene as bed cover: Black substances according to science attract heat thereby making anything underneath it to experience seemingly high temperature. The principle behind this can be used to the advantage of seeds germination. After planting your seeds, you would cover the set of trays, nursing cups or seed beds with black polythene possibly toking the side till germination starts. Do note that you would need to provide moisture which means you would need to remove this polythene periodically to wet the nursery. Please note that the polythene must be removed promptly upon sighting first set of germination otherwise it would result into seedlings distortion and or death i.e. growing thin and tall in search of sun.

- Nurse seeds even direct seeded crops: You may decide to even nurse direct seeded seeds like cucumber under a controlled environment and later transplant them. Also when nursing seeds inside nursing cups or bags, please use black nursing bags or cups for better heat absorption which would aid germination. Perhaps, do you ever wonder while must nursery trays are black, this is the reason why.

- Allow direct sunlight on beds before germination: Immediate after sowing the seeds, you may allow direct sunlight to fall on the seed bed in order to increase soil temperature which speed up germination but note that allowing direct sunlight would reduce soil moisture content also required for speedy germination. What you need to do in this instance is to wet the soil more frequently.

- Use premium seeds with good track record: Good seeds have better germination percentage. Use only seeds with good track record of great germination and also note the expiring date in some case.

Please note that if you must use nursery cups, seeds trays etc. and you subject them to normal environmental temperature around this time, germination would be poorer than even planting directly on the nursery beds. The reason being that the soil on the nursery bed would be warmer at night compare to soil in the nursery trays and cups because the earth itself generates and or radiates heat by night especially from the earth crust. This inadvertently would aid germination thereby making germination on the nursery bed better than seed trays or cups placed outside under ambient temperature. If you must ensure that you have good germination for seed trays and cups around this time, you must place them indoor where the temperature is warmer at night.

Advantage associated with taking risk of germination
Market opportunity
If you decide to take the risk of nursing your seeds around this period of the year, what it means is that you would have less competition at maturity due to dip in market supply. I hope you can since logic in this.
I hope you have learnt one or two techniques that can help you improve on germination around harmattan season. Feel free to ask further question and use our contact us form to also reach out to us.

Sourced: http://www.hybridveggies.com/2018/01/harmattan-and-germination-what-you-can.html#more
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 15, 2018
Let's say one is trying to cultivate spinach which does not need nursery, which method do you recommend? I think from your write up, covering with poly mulch might be the best option to achieve high germination rate. Does it worth it? The cost of purchasing such poly mulch might not justify using. I am just wondering. Any solution?
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by hybridveggies(m): 7:27pm On Jan 15, 2018
Reserve these techniques for high valued crops mostly having relatively high cost of seeds. As for spinach, the effort does not worth it.
fluentinfor:
Let's say one is trying to cultivate spinach which does not need nursery, which method do you recommend? I think from your write up, covering with poly mulch might be the best option to achieve high germination rate. Does it worth it? The cost of purchasing such poly mulch might not justify using. I am just wondering. Any solution?

1 Like

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 15, 2018
hybridveggies:
Reserve these techniques for high valued crops mostly having relatively high cost of seeds. As for spinach, the effort does not worth it.

In fact, some.seeds are just expensive for nothing at some period of the year. Location is a factor too.

If you ask me to use such for cucumber seeds which are crazily expensive plus all other expenses at this time that the price of cucumber has fallen so much might not worth it. And that less valued spinach seeds might produce more valuable plants at this time.

The point I am trying to get is that will it reduce my profit so much? Obviously yes with your response. just thinking.
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by hybridveggies(m): 7:07am On Jan 16, 2018
To see pictures and images of the techniques; you may need to read the article on the site by visiting www.hybridveggies.com
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 16, 2018
Attached is the picture on your website.

Ok. Let me use a scenario or maybe 2 to ask you again. I have 2 acres of land and I want to cultivate cucumber. How do I do it? Also, my budget does not cover buying mulch all over the 2 acres. In fact, I know using it is foolish at this time because I cannot easily break through. I can decide to use nursery trays but transplanted cucumbers do not do well like direct planting; hence, will spend much more on seeds.

For okra, I do not have nursery trays. And buying it makes the business not profitable again if i have to cultivate on one acre too. And i cannot use the nylon mulch option. In fact, the small nylons on your website are just no go area. Too expensive. Like N10 or more each if buying in small quantity. Bulky purchase starts from 100,000 pieces or you hear minimum of 1 ton weight.

In these cases, what are my other availAble options? I know many people in this kind of situation and they just let it slide. So, I need you to see that it may not be easy like you have just written. Those people who allowed it to slide also put into consideration the cost and what will be the gain at the end of the day. Except one has aleady had nursery trays, maybe it can be profitable.

What is the cost of those cups you ask readers to use and will you break even easily using them? How long will they last? So many questions here.

Most new farmers who refuse to buy good irrigation system will not even look at mulch option.

I have been looking for a simpler and cheaper way too but for now, I have not yet got. Maybe we can reason together to find a better solution.

Hope you understand my point.

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Delgi(m): 12:53pm On Jan 21, 2018
fluentinfor, the mulching film on his website is wrong, black mulching film is for temperate climate, not for naija unless he plans to cook his plant, haba. Attached is the right mulching film for our climate.(black and white) We need to be careful with the kind of information we dish out here cus people look up to you and may take your post as an endorsement. Keep up the good work @fluentinfor.

fluentinfor:

Ok. Let me use a scenario or maybe 2 to ask you again. I have 2 acres of land and I want to cultivate cucumber. How do I do it? Also, my budget does not cover buying mulch all over the 2 acres. In fact, I know using it is foolish at this time because I cannot easily break through. I can decide to use nursery trays but transplanted cucumbers do not do well like direct planting; hence, will spend much more on seeds.

For okra, I do not have nursery trays. And buying it makes the business not profitable again if i have to cultivate on one acre too. And i cannot use the nylon mulch option. In fact, the small nylons on your website are just no go area. Too expensive. Like N10 or more each if buying in small quantity. Bulky purchase starts from 100,000 pieces or you hear minimum of 1 ton weight.

In these cases, what are my other availAble options? I know many people in this kind of situation and they just let it slide. So, I need you to see that it may not be easy like you have just written. Those people who allowed it to slide also put into consideration the cost and what will be the gain at the end of the day. Except one has aleady had nursery trays, maybe it can be profitable.

What is the cost of those cups you ask readers to use and will you break even easily using them? How long will they last? So many questions here.

Most new farmers who refuse to buy good irrigation system will not even look at mulch option.

I have been looking for a simpler and cheaper way too but for now, I have not yet got. Maybe we can reason together to find a better solution.

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 21, 2018
Delgi:
fluentinfor, the mulching film on his website is wrong, black mulching film is for temperate climate, not for naija unless he plans to cook his plant, haba. Attached is the right mulching film for our climate.(black and white) We need to be careful with the kind of information we dish out here cus people look up to you and may take your post as an endorsement. Keep up the good work @fluentinfor.

You are very right. I bought this kind of mulch some months for a project but I noticed the people I am working with also don't understand the concept. We didn't use it because I didn't feel like using it cos the land was hard and irrigation was with series of problems. But recently, we were discussing and my partner asked me why can't we not just use those light black poly stuff. I just smiled but he answered the question himself by saying that black may just transmit terrible heat at times.

Funny, many people use black for solarization thinking the heat it produces is enough to kill the bad pathogens. Lol. While the heat black produces will kill most plants when used in a tropical climate, it will not kill most microorganism. So, using black color for solarization is a perfect example of waste of resources and time.

Also, you hear some people claim silver top is the best because it reflects light. I have tested all these mulches and I know which color to use. In fact, there are research papers which can guide one the right colors. Like tomato does well with red mulch, strawberry too. Other berries do well with silver top. But generally speaking, black inside and white on top is the best. I have this kind of mulch on my farm. Bro, people do not value this kind of technology. It is waste of money to them.

Having said that. OP is right too. Do you know why I said so? His thread is about germination . Let us look at it like this. It is during harmattan when the weather is cold and germination is inhibited. He wants to warm it up. The heat will not kill the seeds but will aid germination. Afterward, he removes it. Since it is affordable for him, he can use it. However, I still prefer the kind of mulch you recommend to ordinary black.

Well, not all information I put here maybe perfect. Why? Because I am human. I can make mistakes too. In any case, I am honored because of your kind words. Thank you sir. And I willl try my best to check and check again what I put out here too. In addition, I will admit to my errors if there are.

Thank you for the observation and I hope OP takes note too. OP needs to make more research too. Please, do not take it personal.

Good job sir.
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by hybridveggies(m): 5:46am On Jan 22, 2018
Delgi:

Dear Delgi, I supposed you did not take time to read the article in the first place before jumping to conclusion on the content. I never mentioned the word mulch neither did the black polythene used was meant to mulch. This is meant purely to facilitate good germination during cold period of the year particularly during harmattan. Perhaps, it may interest you to know that you can only use this in the nursery not on the entire field because it not not cost effective for the later. I would rather advise that we read before commenting another time. I now believe the saying that goes: "...because the secret of wealth is written in books, many Africans are perpetually impoverished because they would never read but assume".

1 Like

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by hybridveggies(m): 5:57am On Jan 22, 2018
fluentinfor:

Dear fluentinfor, I like your inquisitive approach in the first place. Please note that this method is not meant to be used on the entire field but in the nursery section. That our picture you shared is the nursery portion located beside the field meant for the to-be-transplanted seedlings. If you can't afford nursery trays (which in this case is a fixed cost), you may as well go for used sachet water (popularly called pure water) picked around your neighborhood or sourced from Sachet water factory for free. After planting, you then cover with black polythene till germination commences. The whole idea is to have perfect germination rate during cold season which safe cost and time.

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 22, 2018
hybridveggies:
Dear fluentinfor, I like your inquisitive approach in the first place. Please note that this method is not meant to be used on the entire field but in the nursery section. That our picture you shared is the nursery portion located beside the field meant for the to-be-transplanted seedlings. If you can't afford nursery trays (which in this case is a fixed cost), you may as well go for used sachet water (popularly called pure water) picked around your neighborhood or sourced from Sachet water factory for free. After planting, you then cover with black polythene till germination commences. The whole idea is to have perfect germination rate during cold season which safe cost and time.

I understand your view and it was the reason I asked you about those Yoruba leafy vegetables. Many of them do not need nursery. Direct sowing. And then you said we leave the style for valuable crops. Then, I mentioned that those Yoruba leafy vegetables are highly valued now than some of the best crops we first think of.

My brother, you are very correct and my other brother is very correct too. My view is that we should just try to explain our views politely. It has happened to me many times too. We all learn and we continue Learning.

Our economic state in Nigeria warrants us to improvise. It is why I talk to many people. What I use today might not be used tomorrow if I get something cheaper and almost as effective as the last one used.

By the way, if I have 15,000 tomato seeds to nurse at this time, and I do not have trays with me, how can I gather 15,000 sachets you have there, and how cost effective are they? Any other option? Serious, I have tomatoes I want to nurse and one of my workers damaged all my trays deliberately last December while he was annoyed fighting another co worker. One evil spirit just came on him. He looked for a stick to hit the other guy and could not find. What he saw around were my trays. And he destroyed everything. The spirit used him to the extent of throwing all inside fire. When I got to farm, I was so surprised the kind of spirit that could do that.

1 Like

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Delgi(m): 6:01am On Jan 23, 2018
hybridveggies:
Dear Delgi, I supposed you did not take time to read the article in the first place before jumping to conclusion on the content. I never mentioned the word mulch neither did the black polythene used was meant to mulch. This is meant purely to facilitate good germination during cold period of the year particularly during harmattan. Perhaps, it may interest you to know that you can only use this in the nursery not on the entire field because it not not cost effective for the later. I would rather advise that we read before commenting another time. I now believe the saying that goes: "...because the secret of wealth is written in books, many Africans are perpetually impoverished because they would never read but assume".
Bro, take it easy. I was quoting and addressing @fluentinfor, not you. No need to get all wound up about this. Talk about a pot calling kettle black. Why not 'READ' my post again without emotions and realize i wasnt attacking you.
BTW, I've been through your website and i do appreciate the wealth of knowledge and info you got in there, as a matter of fact i was planning to pay you a visit so i can learn more from you. We are all learning every day and no one has monopoly on knowledge. I'm sorry if my comment ruffled/bruised your ego bro, but that's not what I'm about and it wasn't directed at you, so chill out and remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Delgi(m): 6:17am On Jan 23, 2018
fluentinfor:

You are very right. I bought this kind of mulch some months for a project but I noticed the people I am working with also don't understand the concept. We didn't use it because I didn't feel like using it cos the land was hard and irrigation was with series of problems. But recently, we were discussing and my partner asked me why can't we not just use those light black poly stuff. I just smiled but he answered the question himself by saying that black may just transmit terrible heat at times.

Funny, many people use black for solarization thinking the heat it produces is enough to kill the bad pathogens. Lol. While the heat black produces will kill most plants when used in a tropical climate, it will not kill most microorganism. So, using black color for solarization is a perfect example of waste of resources and time.

Also, you hear some people claim silver top is the best because it reflects light. I have tested all these mulches and I know which color to use. In fact, there are research papers which can guide one the right colors. Like tomato does well with red mulch, strawberry too. Other berries do well with silver top. But generally speaking, black inside and white on top is the best. I have this kind of mulch on my farm. Bro, people do not value this kind of technology. It is waste of money to them.

Having said that. OP is right too. Do you know why I said so? His thread is about germination . Let us look at it like this. It is during harmattan when the weather is cold and germination is inhibited. He wants to warm it up. The heat will not kill the seeds but will aid germination. Afterward, he removes it. Since it is affordable for him, he can use it. However, I still prefer the kind of mulch you recommend to ordinary black.

Well, not all information I put here maybe perfect. Why? Because I am human. I can make mistakes too. In any case, I am honored because of your kind words. Thank you sir. And I willl try my best to check and check again what I put out here too. In addition, I will admit to my errors if there are.

Thank you for the observation and I hope OP takes note too. OP needs to make more research too. Please, do not take it personal.

Good job sir.
No wahala my brother. BTW, I've secured those seeds i discussed with u and 'ARKA vegetable special' from the institute also. Will contact you when I'm back home. Remain blessed and keep up the good work.
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Delgi(m): 6:29am On Jan 23, 2018
fluentinfor:

I understand your view and it was the reason I asked you about those Yoruba leafy vegetables. Many of them do not need nursery. Direct sowing. And then you said we leave the style for valuable crops. Then, I mentioned that those Yoruba leafy vegetables are highly valued now than some of the best crops we first think of.

My brother, you are very correct and my other brother is very correct too. My view is that we should just try to explain our views politely. It has happened to me many times too. We all learn and we continue Learning.

Our economic state in Nigeria warrants us to improvise. It is why I talk to many people. What I use today might not be used tomorrow if I get something cheaper and almost as effective as the last one used.

By the way, if I have 15,000 tomato seeds to nurse at this time, and I do not have trays with me, how can I gather 15,000 sachets you have there, and how cost effective are they? Any other option? Serious, I have tomatoes I want to nurse and one of my workers damaged all my trays deliberately last December while he was annoyed fighting another co worker. One evil spirit just came on him. He looked for a stick to hit the other guy and could not find. What he saw around were my trays. And he destroyed everything. The spirit used him to the extent of throwing all inside fire. When I got to farm, I was so surprised the kind of spirit that could do that.
Sorry for your loss. Contact me via e-mail or whatsapp and let me know how many was damaged. I'll instruct my rep to give it to you at a discount if you want, (cost price) zero gain for me.
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 23, 2018
Delgi:

Sorry for your lose. Contact me via e-mail or whatsapp and let me know how many was damaged. I'll instruct my rep to give it to you at a discount if you want, (cost price) zero gain for me.

Thank you very much. Actually, I am going on using soil mould for the nursery this time. I concluded on it yesterday. Just that the ones available can do max of 4 to 16 blocks at a go. Probably it is what I will just use.

Thank you all the same.

Concerning the seed, that is nice. In fact, some dudes are cultivating it presently. Please, just go through the email we exchanged. There is a KEY word I used there about the issue. It is very vital for now. If you still do not get it, kindly reply the mail and I will explain explicitly. It is a big caution.
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by Delgi(m): 7:30am On Jan 23, 2018
fluentinfor:

Thank you very much. Actually, I am going on using soil mould for the nursery this time. I concluded on it yesterday. Just that the ones available can do max of 4 to 16 blocks at a go. Probably it is what I will just use.

Thank you all the same.

Concerning the seed, that is nice. In fact, some dudes are cultivating it presently. Please, just go through the email we exchanged. There is a KEY word I used there about the issue. It is very vital for now. If you still do not get it, kindly reply the mail and I will explain explicitly. It is a big caution.
The KEYWORD (early blight) didn't escape my notice bro, that's why I only purchased enough for a pilot project and made arrangements for how to get more in if that's tackled successfully/correctly. Thanks.
Re: Harmattan And Germination: What You Can Do To Mitigate The Effect by DeKen: 9:53am On Mar 04, 2018
I wish we can always live and let others live too. The habit of spiting someone else trying to prove we know better does not necessarily help. And with that attitude one tends to be hasty and draw wrong conclusions. It can be very painful. Unfortunately I see a lot of that on this forum. Some of the attackers have never shared any knowledge, but they are quick to judge and condemn others efforts.

If you suspect information dished out is wrong why don't you ask questions that draws the writers attention to what could possibly be wrong with his information. That way if you misunderstood the writer you wouldn't have ruffled someone's feathers. Courtesy begets courtesy.

(1) (Reply)

Causes Of Death In Snails; PART 2 / My Potato Farm / Fish Drying In Bangladesh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.