Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Your Candid Advice Please - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Your Candid Advice Please (728 Views)

I Got A Job 30k After Nysc. Your Advice Please / I Am Dying, Please I Need Your Candid Advice / Please Help With Your Candid Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Candid Advice Please by SATIELTSGRETOEF(m): 12:22pm On Jan 15, 2018
Hello Nairalanders. My close pal is at a cross road. He is finding it very difficult to make a decision that may affect his life either for good or for bad.

He has confided in me but sincerely I can't really tell him what to do because he trusts some much In my decision- making ability. But for this case I really want to be careful because it is a very major decision. Hence I am soliciting for the advice of mature and experienced guys here to help me in advicing him.

Well, my friend graduated 10 years ago in one of the engineering disciplines, with a 2.1. He is really an intelligent guy. However, the labour market has not been favourable to him. Hence, he took up a job in a private school and does home lessons just to make ends meet. According to him, he makes between 80k to 140k in a month. He is the eldest son in his family, with aged parents. He is also married with 3kids. Yea all are dependent on him. In fact, he has a very huge responsibility on his shoulders and he complains a lot that his earnings are hardly enough to cater for his responsibilities.

Now here is the crux of the matter. He has been given a scholarship to study MSc in Petroleum Engineering in one of the best schools in the world. The scholarship was given by one of the top oil companies. The company says it may or may not hire him at the of the program. It's a 50-50 situation..

Now the multimillion dollar questions are: should he accept the offer? What happens if the company does not absorb him?
Re: Your Candid Advice Please by catwalq(f): 12:42pm On Jan 15, 2018
It's a win-win situation for him. If the company doesn't absorb him then it's their loss cause they paid for his training which he gets to keep and utilize in another organization which will definitely come. Everyone wants to advance in academia,not to talk of when it's been funded by someone else.

My advice is this,He should go for it. I don't think the coy would really pay for the training and then let him go so another coy will end up enjoying the benefit. Maybe they said that to keep the beneficiaries on their toes.

I want to further too but if only I could afford it. Tell your friend this; No knowledge is a waste. Who knows,he may get an offer over there b4 coming back.

I hope you both end up with a wise decision in the end.

3 Likes

Re: Your Candid Advice Please by SATIELTSGRETOEF(m): 12:48pm On Jan 15, 2018
Thanks a bunch for the advice
catwalq:
It's a win-win situation for him. If the company doesn't absorb him then it's their loss cause they paid for his training which he gets to keep and utilize in another organization which will definitely come. Everyone wants to advance in academia,not to talk of when it's been funded by someone else.
My advice is this,He should go for it. I don't think the coy would really pay for the training and then let him go so another coy will end up enjoying the benefit. Maybe they said that to keep the beneficiaries on their toes.
I want to further too but if only I could afford it. Tell your friend this; No knowledge is a waste. Who knows,he may get an offer over there b4 coming back.
I hope you both end up with a wise decision in the end.

1 Like

Re: Your Candid Advice Please by Kwenty: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2018
Whether the company employs him or not, he is not losing anything rather it will boost his portfolio. With his experience in teaching he can easily get another teaching job if things didn't work out as anticipated. But I believe the scholarship will open doors of opportunity for him whether abroad or here Nigeria; so let him go for the scholarship.

2 Likes

Re: Your Candid Advice Please by Pojomojo: 10:21am On Jan 16, 2018
Company: Circuit Atlantic Nigeria Ltd

Who we are:
Circuit Atlantic Limited is a new, innovative and ambitious company with aggressive expansion plans. Our departments include international procurement services and wholesale trading of automobiles.

Address: 30 Owulade Abayomi St. Magodo GRA. Shangisha Lagos

Job Title: Office Administrator

Job Description:

We are looking for:
Office Administrator

Requirements/Qualifications
Minimum education is a Bachelors degree or HND with previous relevant experience in a medium to large company.

Remuneration
Compensation is very attractive.

Application Deadline: 19th April 2018

How To Apply
To apply, please send your resume and a one-page cover letter to circuitatlantic@gmail.com Copy and paste the job title into the subject line of your email.
Re: Your Candid Advice Please by mokset123: 11:07am On Jan 16, 2018
He should take the scholarship even though he has a 50/50 chance of been retained by the coy.

I think the crux of the matter is, how does he provide for his family who are dependant on him while he is away on the scholarship.

Simple, if he is sent to a good country to study, he can work by the side to earn extra to support his family, hoping that the scholarship also covers most of his basic needs from tuition to accommodation to books and generally cost of living for the duration of the programme.

2 Likes

Re: Your Candid Advice Please by SATIELTSGRETOEF(m): 12:45pm On Jan 16, 2018
Thanks alot
Kwenty:
Whether the company employs him or not, he is not losing anything rather it will boost his portfolio. With his experience in teaching he can easily get another teaching job if things didn't work out as anticipated. But I believe the scholarship will open doors of opportunity for him whether abroad or here Nigeria; so let him go for the scholarship.
Re: Your Candid Advice Please by SATIELTSGRETOEF(m): 12:50pm On Jan 16, 2018
I really do appreciate your comment. But what if he is not expected to work?
mokset123:
He should take the scholarship even though he h inas a 50/50 chance of been retained by the coy.

I think the crux of the matter is, how does he provide for his family who are dependant on him while he is away on the scholarship.

Simple, if he is sent to a good country to study, he can work by the side to earn extra to support his family, hoping that the scholarship also covers most of his basic needs from tuition to accommodation to books and generally cost of living for the duration of the programme.
Re: Your Candid Advice Please by mokset123: 1:04pm On Jan 16, 2018
SATIELTSGRETOEF:
I really do appreciated your comment. But what if he is not expected to work?

If he isn't expected to work, all he then needs is to navigate a better future for himself and family.

By applying for better job opportunities while doing his programme. Knowing fully well that he didn't sign any job bond with the coy sponsoring his masters scholarship.

(1) (Reply)

Admin Executive @ Agbara, Ogun State / We Are Hiring - SALON & SPA / Work Alert!!! Just Post From Anywhere And Earn 5K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.