Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? (661 Views)

I Want To Buy An Existing Blog / Please How Do I Transfer My Domain Name To A New Web Hosting Company? / How Can I Make My Blog To Show On Opera Mini News Feed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by Silvermoney: 8:45am On Jan 16, 2018
How do I go about this without losing the existing SEO and traffic? I need help with this process please.
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:53am On Jan 16, 2018
If you're using 2 different hosting plans for each domains it's pretty easy. Export the WordPress contents with export tools from the .ng site. Install WordPress in the new domain and import .xml file you exported from the .ng site. But that's after installing the same templates.
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by dgbanj: 1:13pm On Jan 16, 2018
contact me
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by Jj70: 1:26pm On Jan 16, 2018
interested
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by hostkobo(m): 6:20pm On Jan 16, 2018
Silvermoney:
I have a blog with a .ng domain and so far, its doing very well but i feel it would do a lot better if it had a dot com domain.

Now, I want to register a new dot com domain and move the old wordpress blog from the .ng. How do I go about this without losing the existing SEO and traffic? I need help with this process please.

Hi there,

Im the Wordpress Guru, I can help you.
- is your website hosted and domain registered with the same provider?

regards
HK
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by HostDocHosting: 6:37pm On Jan 16, 2018
HostDoc Hostings can cater to your hosting needs and assist with issues such as this.

To answer your question:
How do I go about this without losing the existing SEO and traffic?

A: You need to set up a domain forward. So you will need to forward your .ng domain to your new .com domain. That way, all your existing traffic will be diverted to your new domain.
Moving your wordpress site to your .com is easy and should take no longer than 15 minutes. You can achieve an easy migration with numerous wordpress plugins.

If you require help or require new hosting or both, contact HostDoc Hostings today. We can assist you every step of the way.

We have free hosting, free COMODO & RapidSSL certificates, supercharged websites with Cloudflare Railgun ($200/m value absolutely free), and much more.
https://hostdoc.co.uk
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by ade101(m): 8:13am On Jan 17, 2018
The guy is here for help, all I see is people advertising their products. This is why I don't come to webmasters section...

Anyway, to the OP,
First backup your .ng website using any backup tool you are comfortable with. Backupbuddy is my favorite. After creating a full backup, go to the new WordPress website, install the same backup software plugin (backupbuddy in my case), now upload the backup file via backupbuddy...

Now you have your new content in the new domain...

You are likely going to run into problem with Google... Notice that your articles were initially indexed by Google on the old domain, now same articles are on another domain, that's duplicate content and your new domain could be penalized by Google.....

To quickly solve this, go to Google webmasters (Google.com/webmasters), under your search console, notify Google that you have moved domain...

That doesn't sound complicated but if you ain't that techy... Use a Good webmaster but this steps will be your guide on what he has to do for you...
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by HostDocHosting: 10:05am On Jan 17, 2018
ade101:
The guy is here for help, all I see is people advertising their products. This is why I don't come to webmasters section...

Anyway, to the OP,
First backup your .ng website using any backup tool you are comfortable with. Backupbuddy is my favorite. After creating a full backup, go to the new WordPress website, install the same backup software plugin (backupbuddy in my case), now upload the backup file via backupbuddy...

Now you have your new content in the new domain...

You are likely going to run into problem with Google... Notice that your articles were initially indexed by Google on the old domain, now same articles are on another domain, that's duplicate content and your new domain could be penalized by Google.....

To quickly solve this, go to Google webmasters (Google.com/webmasters), under your search console, notify Google that you have moved domain...

That doesn't sound complicated but if you ain't that techy... Use a Good webmaster but this steps will be your guide on what he has to do for you...

Im sorry sir, but this does not answer the base question and repeats what I mentioned about using a WP plugin to achieve migration. You did not help about how he can keep the same traffic and only confusing him with duplicate content.
If you had actually ready my advice rather than taking it as full-on advertising, you may have seen I touched on a prominent point which will achieve EXACTLY what the OP has requested.

Good day.
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by Webgritty: 10:15am On Jan 17, 2018
You can use a 301 permanent redirect from the old to the new domain

You can learn more here https://webgritty.com
Re: How Can I Transfer My Existing Blog To Another Website Domain? Any Implications? by TopYouGo: 2:46pm On Jan 17, 2018
Silvermoney:
I have a blog with a .ng domain and so far, its doing very well but i feel it would do a lot better if it had a dot com domain.

Now, I want to register a new dot com domain and move the old wordpress blog from the .ng. How do I go about this without losing the existing SEO and traffic? I need help with this process please.

The way to go about this is to buy your new .com domain name and do a 301 redirect. That's what Etisalat did when it changed its name to 9mobile; now the new 9mobile website is enjoying the domain authority of the old Etisalat website. Naij also did it and it didn't affect its ranking on Google.

If you need help in doing the 301 redirect, check my signature and contact me.

(1) (Reply)

Instagram With 15k+ Followers Needed.. / In Need Of A Very Good/experience Website Developer / Blogging As A Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.