Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,884 members, 7,813,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Kelechi Iheanacho Score The First Goal Awarded By VAR In England. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kelechi Iheanacho Score The First Goal Awarded By VAR In England. (618 Views)

NFF Plans Introduction Of VAR In Domestic League / CAF Confirms Use Of VAR In The Quarter-finals Of 2019 AFCON / CAF Approves Use Of VAR In AFCON 2019 In Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho Score The First Goal Awarded By VAR In England. by ClumsyFlimsy: 11:17pm On Jan 16, 2018

With Leicester 1-0 up in the FA Cup third-round replay against Fleetwood Town at the King Power Stadium, former Manchester City forward Iheanacho finished following a pass from Riyad Mahrez with 13 minutes left on the clock.
The goal was initially ruled out for offside, but replays showed that Iheanacho was in fact being played onside.
Referee Jon Moss consulted video assistant referee Mike Jones, who confirmed that the goal should have stood, and Moss duly awarded Leicester their second strike of the night.
"I didn't know if I was onside or offside but I agree totally now that I was onside," Iheanacho told BT Sport.
"I was concentrating on the goal, I didn't think if I was onside or offside but Riyad (Mahrez) told me that I was onside.
"We just waited to see what the decision was."
VAR can be used by referees for match-changing decisions relating to the awarding of goals, penalties, red cards and for cases of mistaken identity.
Referees chief Mike Riley believes the VAR experiment in English football has begun well and can add value to the game.
It was used by Martin Atkinson for two Chelsea penalty appeals during last week's EFL Cup semi-final first leg against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/leicester-make-history-by-scoring-first-var-awarded-goal-in-english-football-a3741926.html

Re: Kelechi Iheanacho Score The First Goal Awarded By VAR In England. by ClumsyFlimsy: 11:20pm On Jan 16, 2018
Not only is Iheanacho the first player to score a goal given by V.A.R in England, he was also the FA Cup's first ever fourth substitute

(1) (Reply)

Did You Know? Mark Hughes Once Played For Two Teams On The Same Day / Swansea City Vs Arsenal 3 1 Highlights & All Goals 2018 / Breaking News: Mourinho Sales De Gea To Real Madrid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.