Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card (20111 Views)

HELP!! My Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Is Showing Emergency Calls Only Even With SIM In / Umar Usman Dagona Invents A Phone That Operates Without A Sim Card / I Get "Emergency Calls Only" When Switch To 3g On Infinix Phone, Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by owoeye2: 11:38am On Jan 20, 2018
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by airlord2020: 11:45am On Jan 20, 2018
Why won't it work?

inedujac:
Are you talking about Nigeria or other country's?
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by olayinkajnr(m): 11:47am On Jan 20, 2018
ORIJIN201:
seriously? this is lame. some pple just find every avenue to rubbish this country. FYI emergency call without sim card works in Nigeria. Done it before.

As in ehn, they are part of the reason we are exposed to so much ridicule
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by ponti93(m): 11:50am On Jan 20, 2018
In other words if you know how, u can make calls from your phone without sim cards cool... I am interested in knowing how to use the Internet through the satellite instead of normal sim card or local isp
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by steve6: 12:33pm On Jan 20, 2018
Nice
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 20, 2018
Who does the emergency call reach out to? Fireservice?police?ambulance? Dont know its use if u ask me.
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by NaijaTechGuy(m): 1:02pm On Jan 20, 2018
phoenix45:
naijatechguy deserves an award for best tech articles writer here in Nigeria.
please I need backlink for this article below

https://extraloops.com/tech/mastering-google-search-engine/
cheesy.. Thanks bro
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by NaijaTechGuy(m): 1:03pm On Jan 20, 2018
TechPanda:
cool cool cool

NaijaTechGuy, When will our smartphones start making video calls without data? grin grin

Unto tech updates,

Check out these 3 Things The New Nokia 8 Can Do That Your Infinix or Tecno Phone Can't Do

Lol let's ask Thuraya Company that question. grin
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by goestohell: 1:09pm On Jan 20, 2018
urahara:

Subjects like this rarely make it to front page because there is low demand for such subjects.

Seun is a business man, he knows that Tonto dike and toke makinwa topics are what majority of Maryland come for.

He doesn't want to be put out of business.

Same reason why Nigerian singers that sing sensible songs don't blow

You're 100% right. I just wish that Ñairaland could be more like Quora
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 20, 2018
urahara:

Subjects like this rarely make it to front page because there is low demand for such subjects.

Seun is a business man, he knows that Tonto dike and toke makinwa topics are what majority of Nairalanders come for.

He doesn't want to be put out of business.

Same reason why Nigerian singers that sing sensible songs don't blow

Exactly. Even those that try to produce something sensible still have to dish out b.s for initial recognition before settling into what they actually want to produce.

@Op, Thanks for this!.
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 20, 2018
ORIJIN201:
seriously? this is lame. some pple just find every avenue to rubbish this country. FYI emergency call without sim card works in Nigeria. Done it before.
Since Nigeria imports clay, toothpick, plank, etc.......Its logical to naturally assume that this cell phone future doesn't work in Nigeria.

CUZ FOR EXAMPLE WE DONT HAVE NATIONAL EMERGENCY NUMBERS FOR POLICE, FIRE SERVICE, ETC.
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by bravesoul247(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2018
Very good. Its good to know I can call an Emergency number with my TECNO Camon CM
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by ORIJIN201(m): 11:40pm On Jan 20, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Since Nigeria imports clay, toothpick, plank, etc.......Its logical to naturally assume that this cell phone future doesn't work in Nigeria.

CUZ FOR EXAMPLE WE DONT HAVE NATIONAL EMERGENCY NUMBERS FOR POLICE, FIRE SERVICE, ETC.
another lame statement! we have actually, have you been living in a cave? 911 works. the other emergency no. works can't remember. you guys really need to stop pulling this country down with this mentality of nothing works in Nigeria which is false.
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by CaptainDo: 12:00am On Jan 21, 2018
NaijaTechGuy:
If you're an active mobile phone user, you will notice that your phone can actually make emergency calls without any SIM. I know you must be wondering how this is possible since there's no mobile number. Let me explain how your SIM works. SIM as you ought to know stands for Subscriber Identification Module and it helps to identify the cell service subscriber that is trying to connect to the network. Every user has their own SIM, so network providers can direct calls to that specific phone and track usage (and charges) individually. The identifying number of a SIM card is called an ICCID.

The IMEI is like the DNA of a phone; all phones can be identified just with their IMEI. This is a logical example of what happens when you call your friend with a SIM card:
Michael’s phone to cell tower : My IMEI is 123 and my ICCID is 456. I want to call +234-123–456–7890, please!

Cell tower: IMEI is 123, ICCID is 456; 456 is Michael’s account. I’m from Michael’s cell phone carrier and provide him with service, Michael has 100 minutes left in account, connecting call.

Michael : Thanks!

Now This is what happens when you try to call a friend without a SIM card:

Ade’s phone to nearby cell towers: My IMEI is 123 and I don’t have any SIM card. Please let me call +234-123–456–7890, please!

Cell Tower: Who's this one again angry ? Are you normal? You didn't even subscribe to any services, or even my own network ; why should I give them to you for free? Gerrarahia Mehnn!

Ade : Chai!

That sounds quite interesting, right? In the first instance, the cell tower allowed Michael to place the call because it knew who he was and that he was paying for it, but in the second, Ade was unsuccessful in placing the call because the tower had no idea who it was and didn’t want him using the service for free. It's like allowing a total stranger into your home.

Now what if the person on the other side of the door was involved in a terrible accident , on fire, or getting robbed ? What would the cell tower do?

Musa calling 911 or 112 with SIM card:

Musa’s phone to cell tower: Help Musa is dying! My IMEI is 123, my ICCID is 456, my latest location is 123 Musa’s Place, please connect to emergency services!

Cell tower: I can see Musa’s info with ICCID #456 and your latitude and longitude coordinates, connecting to Emergency Number!

Musa : Help, I’m on fire!

As you can see, 911 was able to receive information about Musa thanks to his ICCID and GPS coordinates.

Rochas calling 911 without a SIM card:

Rochas' phone to all nearby cell towers: Hello, please anybody around , help! Rochas is on fire!

Nearby cell tower: I’ll take the call! I really don’t care who you are, but I’m willing to help! Your IMEI is 123, meaning that you’re a Black variant of the Tecno Phantom 8, and your location is 123 Rochas’ Place! Connecting to Emergency number because I’m nice and I don’t want you to die yet !

Rochas : Help oh ! Rochas still got the help he needed, even with no SIM card. The emergency services would’ve been unable to receive much detailed personal information on John, but they knew his location and would be able to get there quick.

To round it up, cell phone towers are a lot more like paranoid kids staying at home for the first time. They won’t let you in if you don’t know their “secret password” lol, but are kindhearted enough to accept your pleas to help no matter who you are. So next time you’re in an emergency, don’t let “no service” fool you.

http://www.naijatechguy.com/2018/01/this-is-why-your-smartphone-is-able-to.html

IT WORKS
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Nobody: 12:06am On Jan 21, 2018
ORIJIN201:
another lame statement! we have actually, have you been living in a cave? 911 works. the other emergency no. works can't remember. you guys really need to stop pulling this country down with this mentality of nothing works in Nigeria which is false.

"'911 works".

grin.

Pls call 911 n record the call n then upload it here.
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by inedujac: 12:27am On Jan 21, 2018
booqee:
dumb question
Dumb answer
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by inedujac: 12:33am On Jan 21, 2018
cheesy
ORIJIN201:
Emergency! Emergency! Oh!
I never see this coming through oh!
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Nobody: 5:25am On Jan 21, 2018
You'd make a good teacher @op
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by AvailableCofOLa(m): 5:27am On Jan 21, 2018
This is good
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Konquest: 5:45am On Jan 21, 2018
Donharrie:
Track the exact location of any phone number on this thread below 100% accurate
https://www.nairaland.com/4300140/track-exact-location-phone-number
Re: Why Your Smartphone Can Make Emergency Calls Without A SIM Card by Obierika(m): 11:30pm On May 10, 2018
Very informative

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo, MTN, Airtel, Others Move To Raise Tariff / Tecno Phones Are Not Working In USA, See Instant Solutions! / Leaked Images And Informations Of The Next Tecno Phonepad 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.