Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! (3287 Views)

10 Facebook App Settings You Should Change Right Now / Seven Settings You Must Do When You Buy A New Smartphone / 24 Hidden Android Settings You Should Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:32am On Jan 27, 2018
Disclaimer: Copied from Miui forum

Android comes with a lot of features, but not all of them are enabled out of the box. With the ever-growing feature set, it’s easy to miss those deeply buried Android settings that can enhance your experience.Whether you are looking to fine-tune your privacy and security or boost performance, here are some changes you should make in the Android settings menu.

1. Hide Sensitive Content From Lock Screen
Since Android 5.0 Lollipop, you can interact with the notifications directly from the lock screen. While this is convenient, it also means that anybody can go through your notifications — even when your phone is locked.

Fortunately, there’s an option to hide sensitive notifications on the lock screen. First, you need to secure your Android phone with a password, pattern, or a PIN. Once you do, here’s how to hide sensitive notification content.

Open Settings > Notifications.
Tap the cog icon on the upper-right of the screen.
Tap On the lock screen.
Select Hide sensitive notification content.
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:33am On Jan 27, 2018
2. Opt Out of Personalized Ads
There’s a shocking number of things that Google knows about you. Its huge tracking system is the reason why you see such precisely tailored ads. For instance, if you search on your desktop about noise-canceling earphones, you might quickly start seeing ads for them around the web. If you’re paranoid about your privacy, there’s an easy way to turn it off.

Open Settings.
Navigate to Google > Ads.
Enable Opt out of Ads Personalization.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:34am On Jan 27, 2018
3. Enable Auto-Lock and Power Button Instant Lock
By default, your Android phone’s screen turns off automatically after a set period of inactivity to save battery. But the lock screen only kicks-in a few seconds later. Mischievous people can potentially access your unlocked device if you leave it unattended during this period.
It’s recommended to lower your screen timeout. To do so, head over to Settings > Display > Sleep. Select the lowest acceptable number of seconds after which your screen would turn off.

Once you’ve lowered the screen timeout, it’s time to force the lock screen to kick in as soon as the screen is turned off.

To do so, navigate to Settings > Security > Automatically lock.
Select Immediately.
On the same page, enable Power button instantly locks.

1 Like

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:35am On Jan 27, 2018
4. Disable Doze Mode for Specific Apps
Introduced in Marshmallow, Doze is a nifty feature that helps you save battery on your Android device. The basic idea is that your apps “sleep” while your phone is off, preventing them from running amok in your absence.

While this works great for most apps, you might get delayed notifications from your favorite messaging apps. Also, you might experience issues with VPN apps as they need to run constantly in the background. In such cases, Doze mode can do more harm than good. Fortunately, Android lets you disable Doze mode on a per-app basis.

To do so, open Settings > Battery.
Tap the three-dot overflow menu button.
Select Doze and app hibernation.
Tap the app you would like to exclude and select Don’t optimize.
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:37am On Jan 27, 2018
5. Enable Persistent Number Row in Gboard
If your job involves dealing with numbers, it can be cumbersome to toggle your keyboard between the number and the alphabet mode.

To do so, open Gboard.
Hold the emoji/cog icon and tap on Gboard keyboard settings.
Tap Preferences.
Enable Number row.If you use Gboard, which I guess most of you do, you can enable a persistent number row at the top of your keyboard. It’s a great way to utilize the growing screen real estate on mobile devices.
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:40am On Jan 27, 2018
6. Enable Instant Apps
Instant Apps are a pretty innovative idea: you can check out Android apps without having to install them, thus saving time and data. It started out as an Android Oreo-exclusive feature, but Google started rolling it out to devices running Lollipop or later a couple of months ago. Instant Apps are disabled by default, but enabling them is just a flip away.

Open Settings > Google.
Enable Instant Apps.
Tap Yes, I’m in to confirm.
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:41am On Jan 27, 2018
7. Move Chrome’s Address Bar to the Bottom
Reaching the top of the screen, especially with just one hand, can be quite a pain. Chrome’s address bar is placed at the upper-half of the screen, making it harder to reach on larger-sized phones. Thankfully, there’s a quick way to move Chrome’s address bar to the bottom for easier access.

Type chrome://flags in Chrome’s address bar and hit Enter.
Find Chrome Home and enable it.
Tap Relaunch Chrome.
Tap the Recent button to open up the multitasking screen. Swipe away Chrome to force close it.
Re-open Chrome.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 11:42am On Jan 27, 2018
8. Tweak Developer Options
Apart from the regular settings, Android Developer options feature some advanced settings you can tinker around with.The Developer options might be intended for developers, but it’s a goldmine of settings that even casual users can utilize.

For instance, you can tweak animation scales to make your phone feel snappier, set a mock location and fake your GPS location, or enable USB debugging to send commands from your computer to your Android device.

Make the Most of Your Android Phone
Tweaking these settings will help you get the most of your Android device, without dramatically changing the way you use your favorite operating system. Whether you’re looking to protect your privacy or enhance your everyday Android experience, a few tweaks are all you need.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by lordthree(m): 1:21pm On Jan 27, 2018
This was actually helpful, good job op

2 Likes

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by hoover420: 2:16pm On Jan 27, 2018
My phone shows pictures whenever I am charging it. I use a tecno k7 device. How do I disable it?
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by Freelancerx: 3:15pm On Jan 27, 2018
Needed this. Quite helpful
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by Freelancerx: 3:16pm On Jan 27, 2018
hoover420:
My phone shows pictures whenever I am charging it. I use a tecno k7 device. How do I disable it?
You might have installed an app. Mine doesn't show pictures while charging. Try to back up your important files and reset.

1 Like

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by AXYZ: 4:29pm On Jan 27, 2018
hoover420:

Your Screensaver might actually be set to 'on' when charging.

Turn your screen saver off
Open your device's Settings app .
Tap Display  Advanced  Screen saver.
Tap When to start  Never. (If you don't see "When to start," turn off Screen saver.)

Reference: google support

3 Likes

Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by skptricks: 6:13pm On Jan 27, 2018
AXYZ:
Disclaimer: Copied from Miui forum

Android comes with a lot of features, but not all of them are enabled out of the box. With the ever-growing feature set, it’s easy to miss those deeply buried Android settings that can enhance your experience.Whether you are looking to fine-tune your privacy and security or boost performance, here are some changes you should make in the Android settings menu.

1. Hide Sensitive Content From Lock Screen
Since Android 5.0 Lollipop, you can interact with the notifications directly from the lock screen. While this is convenient, it also means that anybody can go through your notifications — even when your phone is locked.

Fortunately, there’s an option to hide sensitive notifications on the lock screen. First, you need to secure your Android phone with a password, pattern, or a PIN. Once you do, here’s how to hide sensitive notification content.

Open Settings > Notifications.
Tap the cog icon on the upper-right of the screen.
Tap On the lock screen.
Select Hide sensitive notification content.
http://www.skptricks.com/2018/01/jquery-animated-number-counter-from-zero-to-value.html
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by KillerBeauty(f): 8:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
That developers option have some real confusing things. I simply turn it off jare.
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by hoover420: 10:38pm On Jan 27, 2018
Freelancerx:
You might have installed an app. Mine doesn't show pictures while charging. Try to back up your important files and reset.
Thanks, I will try that
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by hoover420: 10:39pm On Jan 27, 2018
AXYZ:

Your Screensaver might actually be set to 'on' when charging.

Turn your screen saver off
Open your device's Settings app .
Tap Display  Advanced  Screen saver.
Tap When to start  Never. (If you don't see "When to start," turn off Screen saver.)

Reference: google support

Thanks!
Re: 8 Android Settings You Should Change Right Now! by Kronical(m): 5:52am On Jan 28, 2018
KillerBeauty:
That developers option have some real confusing things. I simply turn it off jare.

Lol..

It's true though. You gotta be careful or else, A phone Engineer smiles to the bank..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Want The Latest Freedom Settings Yes Or No? / Can I Download Music On My Lumia 520? / All-in-one Solution For Iphone X, Iphone 8/8 Plus And More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.