Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 (9573 Views)

Poll: What Will Be The Outcome Of This Match?

A Tottenham Win: 30% (4 votes)
A Chelsea Win: 69% (9 votes)
A Draw: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Tottenham Vs Liverpool (0 - 5) On 15th December 2013 / Tottenham Vs Chelsea (1 - 1) On 28th September 2013 / Tottenham Vs Arsenal (2 - 1) On 3rd March 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by edoyad(m): 8:14pm On Apr 17, 2010
edoyad:

come on tots, beat Chelsea and put Arsenal back in the race.

cool cool cool daddyo
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Mariory(m): 8:14pm On Apr 17, 2010
~Sauron~:

Chelsea have benefited more from dubious decisions this season.
Terry kept fouling, pulling shirts, handling the ball and Drogba scored a ghost goal in the biggest game of the season some weeks ago at OT.
If we come down to the basics, Chelsea should be 4th.

Chelsea have scored an average of 4.17 goals per game in matches that Didier Drogba has missed this season compared to 2.14 when he has played.

Surely, Drogba must be POISON to Chelsea's title challenge.

Don't strain your neck looking up.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 17, 2010
~Sauron~:

Chelsea have benefited more from dubious decisions this season.
Terry kept fouling, pulling shirts, handling the ball and Drogba scored a ghost goal in the biggest game of the season some weeks ago at OT.
If we come down to the basics, Chelsea should be 4th.
Leave him to divert attention to Man United.This season alone,Chelsea have had the greatest help from refereeing decisions.
I know the guy will come back to argue that point.
The reverse fixture if today's game is another example.
As for Drogba,it's amazing how scape-goatism and selective amnesia has beclouded Chelsea fans' reasoning.
33 goals in a season,and he doesn't make the team play well.The other players should be sold.Or the coach doesn't know what he's doing.Why not petition the club to have him sold?
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by nateevs(m): 8:17pm On Apr 17, 2010
debosky:

What kind of selective memory do you have? Didn't Drogba single handedly get you 6 points against Arsenal? Flow my foot. It is the height of foolishness to claim someone who started saving your Bacon from the opening day to score against Wolves I think to win 2-1 is at the expense of 'playing well'.

If ONE player scores 33 goals and makes the team play poorly, I'll give you 19 other premiership players who will cut their left nut off to have such a player.

Do you read at all?
Did you see me say Drogba should not be played at all?
If we have to play Arsenal instead of Liverpool, then Drogba starts because we don't have to play beautifully to beat Arsenal.
We have to park the bus and catch you on the break.

Why should we struggle against Wolves if not that we are playing Drogba in the first place?
You can't tell me more than what I know of my team.

If we play a classic JM 4-3-3 with fast wingers, Drogba is your man. If we want to pass the ball like we do now, he is a disaster except we come against shitty defence like pompey or WestHam.
This argument dates back years. He will score a lot of goals but we won't win convincingly. . and when the opposing team has the edge to go further, that's it.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 8:18pm On Apr 17, 2010
Eastbay:

Leave him to divert attention to Man United.This season alone,Chelsea have had the greatest help from refereeing decisions.

Thousands of fans complained to the FA this week that Chelsea players intimidate match officials.
They cited thousands of incidents this season especially with John Terry fouling and grabbing shirts and handling the ball in the box.
He met his waterloo tonight and he did not only concede a penalty, he was sent off disgracefully.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by nateevs(m): 8:19pm On Apr 17, 2010
Eastbay:

As for Drogba,it's amazing how scape-goatism and selective amnesia has beclouded Chelsea fans' reasoning.
33 goals in a season,and he doesn't make the team play well.The other players should be sold.Or the coach doesn't know what he's doing.Why not petition the club to have him sold?

Can you name the greatest of help one after another and let's see if it has in anyway affected the table.
Don't run away from this. . I want you to answer.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
Time to go read my novel.
I'll only rejoice on May 9th, that is if i'd be rejoicing. . . undecided
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by kaypumpin2(m): 8:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
If this league continue for another 15 more weeks,Pompey will make up ground against the Top 3 teams i am sure.What is it with the unpredictability of each week and the twists and turns?

@Nateev,

Even though i agree with your point as per Drogba viz Chelsea's distorted flow when he's playing,today's shambolic display wasn't down to that sole reason.Right from the commencement of the match,Chelsea players were defendingso deep as if they were 3 goals up.The invitation of defending deep and Chelsea players backing off were they were supposed to be close-marking was too tantalizing to resist for a team fighting for top 4 spot.

This is the craziest season i have witnessed in a long while.Really is. . . .
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
~Sauron~:

Thousands of fans complained to the FA this week that Chelsea players intimidate match officials.
They cited thousands of incidents this season especially with John Terry fouling and grabbing shirts and handling the ball in the box.
He met his waterloo tonight and he did not only concede a penalty, he was sent off disgracefully.
He didn't get away with his usual mugging with mis-timed lunges like he did when he set out  to cripple Milner last weekend.Bale exposed his sorry behind.Trust Chelsea to appeal the sending off.Like they did with City two seasons ago.
Chelsea fans would want us to believe only Man United get all the dodgy calls.
Did we score in the 6th minute of added time today?
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 17, 2010
nateevs:

Can you name the greatest of help one after another and let's see if it has in anyway affected the table.
Look at this fella.Who's running away?
Don't look too further away from Tueday against Bolton.
Two stone-wall penalties denied.Or you didn't see that one?
Relax,I could go on and on. . .
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 8:27pm On Apr 17, 2010
nateevs:

Terry's goal against United @ SB comes to mind.
Was Drogba not standing in an offside position?
Did he interfere with PLAY in an offside position or NOT?
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by nateevs(m): 8:28pm On Apr 17, 2010
@Kay-pumping.

Don't buy that rubbish the ESPN commentators were saying.
We were playing away and there is nothing wrong in defending deep.
I counted the number of times Drogba lost possession in the first 45mins . . I stopped counting at 15 times.

I counted the number of time Anelka lost possession in the 2nd half . . 3 times.
There is a clear difference.

If we want to kick the ball high and hope Drogba scores, then Drog is your man.
If you want to pass the ball on the ground and walk your way in, you have to drop Drogba.

Simple. The next time you see him play, count the number of times he concedes possession from a bad touch or bad pass.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2010
Drogba is POSION to Chelsea.
If you are looking for possession football, Drogba has no football sense to keep up.
He has the worst first touch in the league for a striker of his quality. . . . . .Anelka is better suited for walking the ball into the opponent's net.

However, if you are playing against a side like Blackburn or Stoke then Drogba is your man.
Just hoof the ball high up there and he would batter centre-halves to a pulp.
Carlotti shoulda known that by now. When Anelka came on, Drogba shoulda been subbed.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by nateevs(m): 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2010
Eastbay:

Look at this fella.Who's running away?
Don't look too further away from Tueday against Bolton.
Two stone-wall penalties denied.Or you didn't see that one?
Relax,I could go on and on. . .

Firstly I give that to you.
Secondly, you cannot be serious that if Bolton had one of those penalties awarded we still won't have won.
We were going to win that game.

Go and watch Chelsea against Blackburn. The throw that BB had to score the equalizer was a throw to Chelsea. . . and we dropped two points.
Ok. . One cancels the other.

Now I am waiting for you to go on and go on like you said.
Don't run away.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by kaypumpin2(m): 8:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
nateevs:

@Kay-pumping.

Don't buy that rubbish the ESPN commentators were saying.
We were playing away and there is nothing wrong in defending deep.
I counted the number of times Drogba lost possession in the first 45mins . . I stopped counting at 15 times.

I counted the number of time Anelka lost possession in the 2nd half . . 3 times.
There is a clear difference.

If we want to kick the ball high and hope Drogba scores, then Drog is your man.
If you want to pass the ball on the ground and walk your way in, you have to drop Drogba.

Simple. The next time you see him play, count the number of times he concedes possession from a bad touch or bad pass.
It's not about what the commentators said,it was obvious Chelsea players were not even closing down the Spuds players.Go back and watch the match and be on the look out the number of 50-50 balls the Lily-whites won.

Chelsea did not even string any good passes together today,never mind striking a rhythm together to the point Drogba became an impediment.
You guys were out-played and out-thought.

I am not a fan of Drogba AT ALL so i do not even want to go there.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 8:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
kay_pumpin:

It's not about what the commentators said,it was obvious Chelsea players were not even closing down the Spuds players.Go back and watch the match and be on the look out the number of 50-50 balls the Lily-whites won.

Chelsea did not even string any good passes together today,never mind striking a rhythm together to the point Drogba became an impediment.
You guys were out-played and out-thought.

I am not a fan of Drogba AT ALL so i do not even want to go there.

The logic is simple. . . . . .

Tottenham play a very OPEN football in that they attack en masse but the system itself is reliant on scoring goals.
When they bomb forward and they create chances. . . . . .The mentality is to score cos they leave leaks at the back bombing forward.
If they score like they hope, it's good and dandy but if they get caught on the break and concede in the other end, they lose disgracefully.

I was expecting Chelsea to set up the way Jose did when he was here. Deploy pacy wingers upfront and wait until Tottenham players goof and catch them on the break and score but Chelsea were too busy defending than actually trying to score at the other end of the pitch.
FFS, United decimated this SPURS side at WHL with 10 men earlier in the season cos we kept on catching em on the break.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by loyika(m): 8:55pm On Apr 17, 2010
I can't believe you guys are still arguing this Drogs this and Carlo that!?

Chelsea had a bad day at the office, and The Scum had a good day (Hopefully Le' Arse will have a good day tomorrow )

All top teams have been poor this season embarassed (including Looserpool) And next season might even get worst tongue

No matter who wins the league now, you can't really say they deserve it. Although if the Scumtways win it, they can hold their heads up high for winning 4 on the trot tongue

tongue GOONER 89
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 8:57pm On Apr 17, 2010
loyika:

No matter who wins the league now, you can't really say they deserve it. Although if the Scumtways win it, they can hold their heads up high for winning 4 on the trot tongue

United fans won't hold any yeye heads up high.
By our standard, this has been a shitty season for us.
Losing to Villa, Fulham, Chelsea @ OT and even Everton. . . . . .What sorta season is that?
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by loyika(m): 9:04pm On Apr 17, 2010
Errrr!! Giggys and Scholesy will hold their head high!! And it will also cement Shrek as the PFA this season and make him second to Messi come FIFA World Player of the year (If Engurland have a better WC than The Argies, Shrek might even pip him to that tongue)

So all in all, if You Scumbots win it, The Red part of Manchester will not be shedding many tears unlike ALL OF LONDON (Excluding Spuds tongue and Fulham shocked) And the Blue of Manchester and Red of Looserpool!!

cool GOONER
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 9:12pm On Apr 17, 2010
loyika:

Errrr!! Giggys and Scholesy will hold their head high!! And it will also cement Shrek as the PFA this season and make him second to Messi come FIFA World Player of the year (If Engurland have a better WC than The Argies, Shrek might even pip him to that tongue)

I dunno what polarises the opinion of United fans more than those war veterans.
Letz face it, they are clearly hindering the development of our young players. When will they retire? How have they affected the growth of the young talents in our books? How have they influenced SAF in his transfer dealings and shipping good players off?

Granted, Scholes scored today with 15 seconds to go but in all honesty, United woulda wrapped up the victory much earlier with better players on the pitch. Giggsy is past his expiry date but as soon as he gets one goal assist or the odd goal, that single statistic will gloss over his general poor performance. How he was named PFA PLAYER of the year by his fellow professionals last season defies all reasoning and logic.

So all in all, if You Scumbots win it, The Red part of Manchester will not be shedding many tears unlike ALL OF LONDON (Excluding Spuds tongue and Fulham shocked) And the Blue of Manchester and Red of Looserpool!!

We might shed many tears in that the season is supposed to be a transitional one for us but we won't ignore the fact that we won it because our rivals handed it to us. A Jose Mourinho's team woulda won this league 4 weeks ago with the way United have huffed n puffed since March and with the way Arsenal look disinterested.

We have the worst midfield in the league. A one-dimensional midfield whose point of penetration is via the flanks.
I can boldly say Everton's midfield is much better than what United have at the moment - you think i am happy with that as a fan?
SAF must draft in top of the range players in the summer.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by loyika(m): 9:27pm On Apr 17, 2010
Forget it! If you win the league SAF won't spend! The same way Arsene won't spend if Arsenal pip either Chelscum or you guys to 2nd!! carlito on the other hand has more room to work with as he can convince Roman that they need new players to fight for the CL (He would have a stronger case if Maureen wins it with Inter and then goes to Citeh)

Expect more of the same next season embarassed!!

embarassed GOONER 89
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 9:33pm On Apr 17, 2010
loyika:

Forget it! If you win the league SAF won't spend! The same way Arsene won't spend if Arsenal pip either Chelscum or you guys to 2nd!! carlito on the other hand has more room to work with as he can convince Roman that they need new players to fight for the CL (He would have a stronger case if Maureen wins it with Inter and then goes to Citeh)

Expect more of the same next season embarassed!!

United fans will be happy with title number 19 but that's where the buck stops.
If we win the 19th league title, the fans' holy grail will shift to the Champions League title.
To win that, Fergie must buy quality players in the summer.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by debosky(m): 9:35pm On Apr 17, 2010
If Arsene doesn't spend, I will send the newly discovered nose leeches to ruin his Aquiline nose.  angry angry angry

In an ideal world, Spurs beat Utd, Liverpool beat Chelski after they draw with Stoke - Arsenal win the title by a single point and Silvestre collects another EPL winners medal?

Even the gods will not allow such treachery to occur.  grin
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by manmustwac(m): 9:37pm On Apr 17, 2010
[size=24pt]WE ARE TOTTENHAM WE ARE TOTTENHAM SUPER TOTTENHAM FROM THE LANE[/size]
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Ibime(m): 9:42pm On Apr 17, 2010
Here's a stat for y'all. . . . at the start of the 2nd half, it flashed on my screen that Chelsea had completed 280 successful passes to 140 for Tottenham. . . thats double the amount of successful passes.

Its a shame that after 15 or 20 successful passes, the ball ends up at DD's feet, he loses it and we have to start again from square one. If the ball lands to Anelkas feet after a few passes, you can be rest assured that possession will continue until a chance is created.

I have always hated DD cos I dont believe a team like Chelsea should be playing with a striker as crude as Drogba who has the first touch of a semi-professional footballer. Others are just saying now what I've been saying since I joined NL in 2007. Some even argued when I first said that DD first touch is woeful. It doesnt matter to me how many goals DD scores, Im sure the team can do better without him, and this season has brought that to light.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by switch411(m): 9:47pm On Apr 17, 2010
BOOM!!  BOOMM!! BOOMM!!   I hope Liverpool will do the same thing to chelsea.   grin  Boom!
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by debosky(m): 9:48pm On Apr 17, 2010
Yab DD all you want - scoring 30+ goals no be yam.  grin

There is clearly a dynamism he has that also assists other team mates to score - simply because you had some landslide victories against teams when he wasn't around is no proof of anything - the consistency of his goalscoring performances matching up to the majority of Chelski's wins this season means that the issue is not DD as such, but a lack of awareness on how to best utilise him.

The proof of the pudding shall be seen when DD eventually leaves and we'll see if you will do as well without him.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by debosky(m): 9:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
And one more thing. . .Ibime is way off point - the quality of crosses by Zhirkov and Malouda was ABYSMAL - they were constantly intercepted, no crosses for DD to head in, no nice balls into the box for him to pounce on and it's DD's fault?

Your build up play was NOWHERE near good enough today - once again, the ability of Cole to cross was missed and you weren't able to get anyone to replicate. Malouda shined for a few minutes and FIZZLED out.

Face the true issues and stop chasing shadows.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Sauron1: 9:52pm On Apr 17, 2010
debosky:

There is clearly a dynamism he has that also assists other team mates to score - simply because you had some landslide victories against teams when he wasn't around is no proof of anything - the consistency of his goalscoring performances matching up to the majority of Chelski's wins this season means that the issue is not DD as such, but a lack of awareness on how to best utilise him.

The proof of the pudding shall be seen when DD eventually leaves and we'll see if you will do as well without him.

REMINDER:

Chelsea have scored an average of 4.17 goals per game in matches that Didier Drogba has missed this season compared to 2.14 when he has played

debosky:

And one more thing. . .Ibime is way off point - the quality of crosses by Zhirkov and Malouda was ABYSMAL - they were constantly intercepted, no crosses for DD to head in, no nice balls into the box for him to pounce on and it's DD's fault?

Your build up play was NOWHERE near good enough today - once again, the ability of Cole to cross was missed and you weren't able to get anyone to replicate. Malouda shined for a few minutes and FIZZLED out.

Face the true issues and stop chasing shadows.

The build up was abysmal because Drogba started.
Each and every build up stalled whenever Drogba receives the ball and Chelsea had to start all over again.

Drogba is an excellent striker when the ball is in the air. . . . . . .when the ball is played on the ground with smart one two touches, Drogba is shyte.
He is an all-action striker aerially but with his dire first touch and a mediocre football brain, Anelka is better suited to be the arrow head against some certain opponents. With Dawson in a tip-top shape, he sodomised Drogba all night.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Ibime(m): 9:55pm On Apr 17, 2010
debosky:

I guess Aston Villa is also a small team.

Manure is also a small team I guess, the way we dominated them in DD's absence in the first half.

Anyway, I expect Arsenal fans to have a blind spot when it comes to Drogba. In the pantheon of players most feared at Emirates, Drogba ranks up with Messi as joint no 1.  grin

How can you say the build up play is abysmal when we completed twice as many successful passes as Spurs before Terry sending off. . . . nah, the build up play isnt poor, DD link up and movement is poor. Any good build up ends at Drogbas feet.

Whats that stat again. . . . Chelsea have scored 4.17 goals per game without DD and 2.14 per game with Drogba.

If Ancelotti is serious about playing possession footie, he needs to stop sucking DD manliness.
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by mamagee3(f): 10:21pm On Apr 17, 2010
That was Clearly not a match, they beat them easily. . .
Re: Tottenham Vs Chelsea [2 - 1] On Saturday 17th April 2010 by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 17, 2010
nateevs:

Firstly I give that to you.
Secondly, you cannot be serious that if Bolton had one of those penalties awarded we still won't have won.
We were going to win that game.
Go and watch Chelsea against Blackburn. The throw that BB had to score the equalizer was a throw to Chelsea. . . and we dropped two points.
Ok. . One cancels the other.
Now I am waiting for you to go on and go on like you said.
Don't run away.
Dude,no need to pontificate here.
The way you played against Bolton didn't indicate you would be able to get anything other than a draw.The ref decided not to punish Drogba and TErry.Let's end it there.I'm not going to argue aimlessly about whether Chelsea woulda won.Cus it's purely academic.
You also need to ask yourself the question as to why Chelse didn't defend the cross properly against Blackburn.The ball didn't find its way into the box from a throw,if i can recollect.
Also you talk about it being a Chelsea throw.Needless  to refer you to the SB tie with United and how you got your goal,first off a foul that never was and then by a dubious goal through Drogba fouling Brown.Even today,Mikel fouled Bale earlier on in the box,but no call was made,though Terry could not get away with his usual handball chesting.
One more thing,I don't have all day to go on and on.Don't have anything to prove to you by not "running away".That's a juvenile thing to say.Losses shouldn't be doing that to you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FA Community Shield: Manchester Utd Vs Chelsea [3 - 1] On Sunday 8th August / UCL: FC Basel Vs Manchester United (2 - 1) On 7th December 2011 / 5 Brilliant And Funny Quotes From Mario Balotelli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.