Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) (668 Views)

Don’t Transact In Dollar – EFCC Warns Schools, Hotels, Others / Twitter Inc. Renamed To X Corp / Client Terminates Contract,cos We Observed Lockdown. How Can We Seek Redress? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) by Blue3k(m): 9:36pm On Jan 28, 2018

Akwa Ibom State government has terminated the contract it had with Starwood Group as manager of Le-Meridien Ibom Hotels and Golf Resorts. Consequently, a new management team headed by Ronald Stilting is now to run the hospitality outfit with its named changed to Ibom Hotels and Golf Resort.

Victor Antai, commissioner for culture and tourism, who made this known in Uyo, the state capital, said steps were being taken to reposition the hospitality outfit.

According to Antai, Governor Udom Emmanuel is concerned about the running of the hotel in a profitable manner, and the change in management of the hotel took effect from January 1, 2018.

He however assured that such changes would not affect employees of the hotel, as the state government would ensure that no worker would be retrenched.

He explained that the state government, last year engaged the services of PriceWaterHouseCoopers to audit the account of Starwood Group, saying, “Report of the audit has been out and soon to be made public.

“With this changes, the hotel is expected to serve purely as business venture for profit making to the Akwa Ibom State government.”

Rolling out his plans to ensure the past glory of the hotel is restored, the new General Manager, Ronald Stilting said all the aspects of the hotel will remain, weaknesses improved upon, while concepts and marketing strategies will be innovated.

He promised to deliver great experience through; proactive service in a unique environment, staff training, and establishment of  a culture of involvement and accountability. 

New concepts to attract increased patronage according to him are; Eat and Swim Family Lunch Buffet at weekend and swimming for 1price, valentine’s day package and special dinner. 

To attract needed attention and usage to the Golf Course which is considered one of the best in Africa, Stilting who declared the Golf Course a very vital part of the whole concept, announced the Ibom Open Golf Tournament, scheduled to take place April 7-8.

Ronald Stilting holds a Masters Degree in hotel management since 1983 and has 30 years experience in hotel management. He has a track record of high guest satisfaction. 

Also engaged is Brain Efa, director of finance (on contract), an Associate Chartered Accountant.

Source: http://www.businessdayonline.com/aibom-terminates-contract-starwood-group-management-le-meridien-hotels/

Front Page: lalasticlala

Re: Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) by Omololu2121: 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2018
H
Re: Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) by Blue3k(m): 9:42pm On Jan 28, 2018
The author didnt do a good job telling the whole story. It was actually starwood that terminated the contract first. The refused to manage hotel after they claimed the state government did hold up it's contractual obligations. The governor even went to Dubai to try an renegotiate unsuccessfully. The state assembly is crazy for sitting around saying nothing for 10 years while hotel bled money.

Anyway I think the change is good. I always found it strange the everyone I went to hotel nobody playing golf. It has a nice green and weather nice most of year. Personally if I was in country is love to compete in golf tournament. The buffet stuff would be nice for a date to.

1 Like

Re: Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) by tinkinjow: 9:44pm On Jan 28, 2018
Whatever...one good thing is the name change. Let's stop this western names whether brand or not. If a western brand wants to be in Nigeria they should do so with their money, build it themselves and operate
Re: Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) by SalamRushdie: 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2018
Blue3k:
The author didnt do a good job telling the whole story. It was actually starwood that terminated the contract first. The refused to manage hotel after they claimed the state government did hold up it's contractual obligations. The governor even went to Dubai to try an renegotiate unsuccessfully. The state assembly is crazy for sitting around saying nothing for 10 years while hotel bled money.

Anyway I think the change is good. I always found it strange the everyone I went to hotel nobody playing golf. It has a nice green and weather nice most of year. Personally if I was in country is love to compete in golf tournament. The buffet stuff would be nice for a date to.

Mr Okrlereke?
Re: Le-meridien Hotels: A’ibom Terminates Starwood’s Contract, (hotel Renamed) by Blue3k(m): 10:00pm On Jan 28, 2018
Here's some extra details I found googling. It seems all of Akwa Ibom investments are hindered by the vast some of diesel needed to run these ventures. They really shouldbe looking to upgrade Ibom Power plant instead of building a church or lodge in Lagos. The have permission to add 465 MW.

When asked by Committee members to explain why the hotel was not able to remit a single revenue to the state government, Antai responded “80 percent of the time is run on diesel. Most of the revenue the hotel generates goes back to diesel”.

SalamRushdie:

Mr Okrlereke?

I'm not familiar with person you're referring to.

tinkinjow:
Whatever...one good thing is the name change. Let's stop this western names whether brand or not. If a western brand wants to be in Nigeria they should do so with their money, build it themselves and operate

Akwa Ibom built the structure. It was Akwa Ibom that asked them to manage and they licensed their brand name. Le Meridien is world wide brand and they're actually expanding to Lagos in 2019.

(1) (Reply)

Discover How To Make Over Half A Million Naira A Month And Quit Your Job / Eazi Business Loans / WOW Canadian Man Wins $2m Lottery On Birthday As He Retires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.