Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 (28450 Views)

Liverpool Vs Leicester City (2 - 0) 10th February 2022 / Wolves Vs Arsenal (0 - 1) -10th February 2022 / Manchester City Vs Chelsea (6 - 0) On 10th February 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Certitude(m): 5:23pm On Feb 10, 2018
Onisokuso1:

Was they use in place of were and instead of saying " how are u doing? " Especially the rap artistes and the niccurs in movies

You hear " how you doing " .

If you are conversant with the way they speak then u will know this guy here just decided to speak that way which it's obvious u all judged him with your standard british English.
That's is mostly from blacks... I know it was intentional though but it's soooooo informal.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by FaniDan(f): 6:00pm On Feb 10, 2018
secretkeeper:

This is a goood fan. cheesy but I don't want to give u the final sad score.
issora
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by FaniDan(f): 6:01pm On Feb 10, 2018
nairalanduseles:

is that ur real face? u wor
no, its urs
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Feranmicharless: 6:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
somteez:
Make Tottenham no cut my #450k ticket oo. Na only una remain just draw abeg
sorrysad
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Xzbit91: 6:27pm On Feb 10, 2018
somteez:
If Spurs win or draw. Quote me ad I will reveal d betslip. FINISH

Where betslip
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Machinegun91(m): 6:33pm On Feb 10, 2018
yemaldo:
Mumu
You are my mentor
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Machinegun91(m): 6:35pm On Feb 10, 2018
Luxuryconsult:
your madness can never be easily cured. buh nothing is impossible for God.
I asked the question here sometime ago and I got the same answer from a mad guy here
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by purplekayc(m): 6:40pm On Feb 10, 2018
Abeg wetin happened to arsenal .I just dey enter houz. So no watch
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 7:06pm On Feb 10, 2018
koice:

It's an American faster way/shorter form of 'How're you doing?' It's has nothing to do with with being educated or not. It rolls off the tongue better, that's all. I watch American shows, and white people say it more than blacks... blacks have another slang altogether - 'what'sup?'

Brits have their own version... 'Wotcha' which is an economic way of saying 'what are you doing?'
No matter how you try to rationalize it, it is NOT correct English. Are you next going to claim that pidgin English is proper grammar? I hope you get that now?
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:
No matter how you try to rationalize it, it is NOT correct English. Are you next going to claim that pidgin English is proper grammar? I hope you get that now?

I'm not saying it's a correct English. I'm merely saying you don't have to be an illiterate to frequent the phrase. It's just an economic way of saying 'How are you doing?'

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by joey150(m): 7:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
judgedredd22:

my friend go and educate yourself, wenger is not a coach, he is a team manager. The team coaches (about three of them) are quite different from manager. The person that needs to go is the team coach, Neil Banfield

You are deluded.

You might as well give Wenger a bloowjob after you are done kissing his ass..

Nonsense!! Because other clubs sack team managers when they are constantly failing.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by joey150(m): 7:14pm On Feb 10, 2018
Enemyofpeace:
did you say this last week when you beated Everton 5 -1?

Of course.

I'm not one of those pathetic Wenger ass licking fans.

I have wanted Wenger gone since 2010. Even if he wins the Europa league, i still want him gone!!
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

The analogy with Pidgin is wrong.

Pidgin English is a form of a creole language. It's a means of communication by a large group of people that transcends tribes and race, and as such is linguistically a language of it's own right.

1 Like

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Pvibe007: 7:32pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

@daclemx is correct. I am not sure why you guys think that is proper grammar? Is is not “American English” either.

My dear it's popularly used in Bronx and Harlem. Stop acting like it's all wrong or u wanna say everyone in Bronx speaks wrong English ?
Note that even though the Queens English is standardized, many other English speaking country have there own way too. Just like Carribean English
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by purplekayc(m): 7:52pm On Feb 10, 2018
What happened to these 2?

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 8:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Pvibe007:

My dear it's popularly used in Bronx and Harlem. Stop acting like it's all wrong or u wanna say everyone in Bronx speaks wrong English ?
Note that even though the Queens English is standardized, many other English speaking country have there own way too. Just like Carribean English
OK bros and so what if it used in “Bronx” or “Harlem”, that does not make it correct English grammar. It is incorrect use of English and is a street language. You were incorrect by saying that is “proper English”.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 8:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
koice:

The analogy with Pidgin is wrong.

Pidgin English is a form of a creole language. It's a means of communication by a large group of people that transcends tribes and race, and as such is linguistically a language of it's own right.
Yes it is but it is not proper English. It’s an accepted form of contorted English.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by judgedredd22(m): 8:18pm On Feb 10, 2018
joey150:

You are deluded.

You might as well give Wenger a bloowjob after you are done kissing his ass..

Nonsense!! Because other clubs sack team managers when they are constantly failing.

As stupid as you are, it is still difficult for you to listen and learn. It is your type that go to roadside drinking joints to go and argue senseless and stupid unverified fallacies and think you are actually making sense. It is quite obvious that beyond watching football on TV, (which you do probably to feel like you are among the guys that know whatssup) you know absolutely nothing about the business and administration of football as a sport.

next time adults are talking, never ever feel the need to contribute your stupidity and ignorance therein.

Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 8:19pm On Feb 10, 2018
koice:

I'm not saying it's a correct English. I'm merely saying you don't have to be an illiterate to frequent the phrase. It's just an economic way of saying 'How are you doing?'

OK - you seemed to have joined this conversation late then. I was responding to this individual and others who claimed it was “proper English”: ....

Pvibe007:

That's right. I was just reading several comments mocking the guy's English!
That English is very very correct, but what do u expect from Nairalanders that don't even have an International passport grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:
OK bros and so what if it used in “Bronx” or “Harlem”, that does not make it correct English grammar. It is incorrect use of English and is a street language. You were incorrect by saying that is “proper English”.

What do you mean by "proper English"? We have RP (Received pronunciation) popularly called the Queens English, and, we have AmeSE (American Standard English), and don't forget AusEn (Australian Standard English). What might be correct in RP could be wrong in AmeSE. For example, In the UK, "I've got two sisters" is grammatically correct, but in AmeSE, it's a wrong sentence. it's instead "I've two sisters". There is no such thing as a proper English, got it?
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 8:22pm On Feb 10, 2018
koice:

What do you mean by "proper English"? We have RP (Received pronunciation) popularly called the Queens English, and, we have AmeSE (American Standard English), and don't forget AusEn (Australian Standard English). What might be correct in RP world be wrong in AmeSE. For example, In the UK, "I've got two sisters" is grammatically correct, but in AmeSE, it's a wrong sentence. it's instead "I've two sisters". There is no such thing as a proper English, got it?
There is proper/correct English grammar. Apparently you have lowered the standards .... anyway, look at the history of this conversation to get the context. I replied to you earlier with the quote because this exchange is getting meaningless... cheesy
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

There is proper/correct English grammar. Apparently you have lowered the standards .... anyway, look at the history of this conversation to get the context. I replied to you earlier with the quote because this exchange is getting meaningless... cheesy

I couldn't agree more on the emboldened.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Pvibe007: 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

Sire I can't tell a man from Bronx or Harlem that it ain't d right English !
My attention was drawn to the way the guy was been ridiculed like he didn't know what he was saying ...
Am on a tram now and someone just said , " I was in the club last nite, was you there ?" , am pretty sure if he said it on NL , some trolls n English teachers will be on his case.
Many folks on NL don't even know that when I say " I am tripping right now" also means " I am angry right now".
Dude not everyone speak d queens English, U dig?
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2018
Pvibe007:

Sire I can't tell a man from Bronx or Harlem that it ain't d right English !
My attention was drawn to the way the guy was been ridiculed like he didn't know what he was saying ...
Am on a tram now and someone just said , " I was in the club last nite, was you there ?" , am pretty sure if he said it on NL , some trolls n English teachers will be on his case.
Many folks on NL don't even know that when I say " I am tripping right now" also means " I am angry right now".
Dude not everyone speak d queens English, U dig?
There is correct/proper English grammar. What the individual posted was NOT. I cannot go on endlessly trying to convince you that English grammar is either proper or incorrect.
Tomorrow, if I post “I broughted a bag to my office” and when people rightly try to correct me, I instead claim it is proper Ijebu English grin . It then becomes an excercise in futility. This is what this conversation is becoming. I give up oh good sir. Have a good day!

Your original post and I responded to the text in bold:

Pvibe007:

That's right. I was just reading several comments mocking the guy's English!
That English is very very correct, but what do u expect from Nairalanders that don't even have an International passport grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Goodnuel: 9:31pm On Feb 10, 2018
grin grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Pvibe007: 9:38pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

There is correct/proper English grammar. What the individual posted was NOT. I cannot go on endlessly trying to convince you that English grammar is either proper or incorrect.
Tomorrow, if I post “I broughted a bag to my office” and when people rightly try to correct me, I instead claim it is proper Ijebu English grin . It then becomes an excercise in futility. This is what this conversation is becoming. I give up oh good sir. Have a good day!

Your original post and I responded to the text in bold:

Gee stop been myopic on this subject!
It's like someone saying " I wanna buy tomatoes" and " I want to buy tomatoes"
The are both correct! There are many American English u could use everywhere. So stop behaving like one Agege hero!
The guy was right. If u doubt me, go to Walter Carrington VI, apply for an American Visa , book a flight to JFK Newyork, we take a trip to Queens and it's surubs( You will even start hearing it right from d Flight sef) . So stop acting like u one English hero. N cut that night some slack.
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Goodnuel: 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2018
grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Goodnuel: 9:51pm On Feb 10, 2018
grin grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 9:56pm On Feb 10, 2018
Pvibe007:

Gee stop been myopic on this subject!
It's like someone saying " I wanna buy tomatoes" and " I want to buy tomatoes"
The are both correct! There are many American English u could use everywhere. So stop behaving like one Agege hero!
The guy was right. If u doubt me, go to Walter Carrington VI, apply for an American Visa , book a flight to JFK Newyork, we take a trip to Queens and it's surubs( You will even start hearing it right from d Flight sef) . So stop acting like u one English hero. N cut that night some slack.
"I wanna..." is NOT proper English. It is informal speech. Take a moment to look it up in any reputable English language dictionary.
Just because ebonics is spoken does not make it proper English. Good grief, how is this simple concept so difficult to grasp?
PS: A US visa may also be obtained at Plot 1075, Diplomatic Drive .... when your current one expires grin
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by Pvibe007: 10:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

"I wanna..." is NOT proper English. It is informal speech. Take a moment to look it up in any reputable English language dictionary.
Just because ebonics is spoken does not make it proper English. Good grief, how is this simple concept so difficult to grasp?
PS: A US visa may also be obtained at Plot 1075, Diplomatic Drive .... when your current one expires grin
I don't a visa to visit the US !
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by kachi19: 10:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
iluvpomo:

@daclemx is correct. I am not sure why you guys think that is proper grammar? Is is not “American English” eithery.

What do you mean by grammar where have you found grammar in that statement?
Re: Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 by iluvpomo(m): 10:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
kachi19:

What do you mean by grammar where have you found grammar in that statement?
Perhaps you should start by looking up what grammar means.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Balotelli And Mancini In Training Ground Fight / Arsenal Vs Crystal Palace (2 - 2) On 18th October 2021 / What Thomas Tuchel And Jürgen Klopp Have In Common As Germans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.