Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) (2822 Views)

Why Did Pastor Isaac Oyedepo Lose So Much Weight? / Was This Action Of King Solomon Right Or Wrong? / If God Gave You Same Blank Cheque As King Solomon, What Would You Fill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by milkymesh: 5:12am On Feb 04, 2018
If marrying many wives is a sin, why did the wisest man who ever lived do it?

Is it wisdom to marry many wives?

You may also read: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/wise-men-marry-many-wives/

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Emjay1310(m): 5:31am On Feb 04, 2018
It later made him the wisest fool. That was why he said all is vanity. Once you go outside God's law, you become a fool

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Nobody: 5:36am On Feb 04, 2018
I suspect he married from every ethnicity in his entire Kingdom and colonies. That's how you make your citizens feel appreciated. Great politics,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Iseoluwani: 5:50am On Feb 04, 2018
Op, solomon is wiser than all of you. The wisest man that ever liveth.

He married 700wives and 300concubines and yet died an old man, and you say he doesnt have brain
Emjay1310:
It later made him the wisest fool. That was why he said all is vanity. Once you go outside God's law, you become a fool

Mumuni.. Who can marry 2wives and have a peaceful home and die at an old age in this generation if they won't poison him.

And you say Solomon is not wise.. U are obviously the wisest fool and still the wisest person in your state. That means none of your people z ever wise

1 Like

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by oz4real83(m): 6:19am On Feb 04, 2018
Marriage is one of the strongest tools for building and strengthening relationships between kingdoms,families and business partners. It is a tool that was very very effective in the olden days and it is still very effective now. Most of king solomon's wives were given as gifts to him by other kingdoms and families in order to create relationship and get favour from king solomon who was the richest and most powerful king on earth in those days. It is still happening today. U see the children of politicians marrying fellow politicians,business partners and from royalties just to continue to perpetuate these relationships. Check all pmb's inlaws,ibb,yardua,igbinedion and many other big men in nigeria. They marry among themselves. King solomon only married few by himself but the rest were gifts.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Witi(m): 6:20am On Feb 04, 2018
Emjay1310:
The vent in the book of Ecclesiastes does not make him a fool bro.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by ruggedmallaam(m): 6:30am On Feb 04, 2018
But why do some christians enjoy insulting their prophets
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Pavore9: 6:49am On Feb 04, 2018
“But king Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites;
“Of the nations concerning which the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go in to them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love.” (1 Kings 11:1-2)

But Solomon discarded the wisdom of God as he got older and his wives lead him into TERRIBLE sin and apostasy (1 Kings 11:4)

“And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,

“And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded.

“Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.” (1 Kings 11:9-11)

His lifestyle led to the division of the kingdom of Israel. his son was left to become King of just 2 tribes while his servant Jeroboam, king of the remaining ten tribes!

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by pyyxxaro: 7:14am On Feb 04, 2018
ruggedmallaam:

Wetin concern u

Naa ur prophet tongue
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by DivinelyBlessed: 7:28am On Feb 04, 2018
Iseoluwani:
Op, solomon is wiser than all of you. The wisest man that ever liveth.

He married 700wives and 300concubines and yet died an old man, and you say he doesnt have brain

Mumuni.. Who can marry 2wives and have a peaceful home and die at an old age in this generation if they won't poison him.

And you say Solomon is not wise.. U are obviously the wisest fool and still the wisest person in your state. That means none of your people z ever wise
Wetin happen? Why the insult? Did he abuse your family? He was simply airing his views.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Rockyrascal(m): 7:38am On Feb 04, 2018
King Solomon was enriched with wisdom by God and later got into his head; but in my own point of view he had 700 wives from different ethnic group so that the occurence of war will be a near impossibility.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by AdolfHitlerxXx: 7:52am On Feb 04, 2018
ANSWER: Because he liked sampling different Meows...

What the Bible won't tell you is that his servants were helping him to service them cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by PSTEMMA1960(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2018
milkymesh:
If marrying many wives is a sin, why did the wisest man who ever lived do it?

Is it wisdom to marry many wives?

You may also read: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/wise-men-marry-many-wives/

he married them in order to have more allies, and that was one of the reason no nation fought against him because he married from all kingdom, and those 700 wives were all pricesses..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 04, 2018
Op,I honestly hope you are not one of those who think that the biblical King Solomon was a Christian? For the records: The one-man-one-wife concept a.k.a. monogamy was an invention of christianity in a newly christianized Rome some 1400 years or so ago. Roger that? In Solomon's days it wasn't considered a sin or a crime or anything like that. Even Solomon's ancestors engaged in it. Makes me wonder if at the end of the day if this thing called "sin" isn't what the society say it is at any given point in time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Nobody: 9:28am On Feb 04, 2018
ruggedmallaam:
You must be a muslim because I know for a fact that under islam,Solomon[sulaiman] son of David[king Dawud] is considered a prophet. In christianity,it is not the same. Solomon was a king[a political leader] and not a prophet. The bible is quite clear in outlining who the Yahwehist or proto-judaic Israelite prophets of those times were. Elijah,elisha et al.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Nobody: 9:30am On Feb 04, 2018
Solomon was wise but his weakness was strange women which eventually destroyed and divided Isreal ,Solomon isn't a perfect example for marriage,Solomon eventually incurred the wrath of God.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 04, 2018
Muafrika2:
I suspect he married from every ethnicity in his entire Kingdom and colonies. That's how you make your citizens feel appreciated. Great politics,
Partially true but... As tiny as the Davidic Empire outlined in the bible is,I doubt if it encompassed as much as 700 ethnicities and races. If you ask me,I am tempted to believe as some scholars do,that the 700 wives bit was a blatant exaggeration.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by flamingREED(m): 9:55am On Feb 04, 2018
That, my friend, tells you how gullible women can be!
Just so foolish were they all, except the first wife.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 04, 2018
mansakhalifa:
Partially true but... As tiny as the Davidic Empire outlined in the bible is,I doubt if it encompassed as much as 700 ethnicities and races. If you ask me,I am tempted to believe as some scholars do,that the 700 wives bit was a blatant exaggeration.

Not so far fetched. Mswati gets one every year.

Solomon ruled for around 40 years, right? One or two reed dances every month. Plus, any beauty that he came across while strolling in the palace.
Re: Why Did Wise King Solomon Marry 700 Wives?(photo) by Gmajor(m): 12:20pm On Feb 04, 2018
oz4real83:
Marriage is one of the strongest tools for building and strengthening relationships between kingdoms,families and business partners. It is a tool that was very very effective in the olden days and it is still very effective now. Most of king solomon's wives were given as gifts to him by other kingdoms and families in order to create relationship and get favour from king solomon who was the richest and most powerful king on earth in those days. It is still happening today. U see the children of politicians marrying fellow politicians,business partners and from royalties just to continue to perpetuate these relationships. Check all pmb's inlaws,ibb,yardua,igbinedion and many other big men in nigeria. They marry among themselves. King solomon only married few by himself but the rest were gifts.
What about the concubines? No one would be stupid enough to give away a woman of nobel birth to do the work of a LovePeddler

(1) (Reply)

Rapture Will Take Place In The First Half Of 2020 / Why The New Vaccine May Probably Be The Mark Of The Beast 666 / Do Christians And Muslims Worship The Same God - Please Vote

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.