Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Strictly Bmw E30 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Strictly Bmw E30 (4610 Views)

BMW E30 Drift Build. [00[][]00] / 1988 BMW E30 Restoration. Pics / Bmw E30 Sport Seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 10:55am On Feb 05, 2018
Hello all

Appreciating the iconic 3 Series BMW E30 with production from 1982 to 1994.

Pictures, videos, tips and tricks would be shared here to encourage owners and wannabes.

Contributions are welcome

Cheers

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 11:01am On Feb 05, 2018
BMW E30 Facts:
*Second generation of the BMW 3 series
*Designed by Claus Luthe and Max Reisböck
*6 engine variants came stock. M10 (4 cyl), M20 (6 cyl), M40 (4 cyl), M42 (4 cyl), S14 (4 cyl in the M3) and M21 (6cyl diesel)
*2.4m units were produced in total
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Nobody: 9:10pm On Feb 05, 2018
My 1st Bmw ever. This is the machine that initiated me into the Bmw cult - A Bmw 325i - V6 grin

The 1st time I did 200km/h on that Kaduna-Abuja freeway in 2003, I was laughing & crying at the same time. That feeling still gives me nolstagia & orgasm grin

If I had tried that stunt in a Honda, Kia, Hyundai, or Toyota, walahi, my enemies for don celebrate my obituary tay-tay grin

Harald Krüger - The CEO & the current chairman of the board of management for BMW surely owes me a pre-owned Bmw X6M, M6 Gran Coup, M4 & Z4 for upholding the tenets & pricinples of the tradition.

Bmw - The Ultimate Driving Machine! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsSOcNEpEaw

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:06am On Feb 06, 2018
The different engines found in the BMW E30 (listed above) would be analysed below:
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:15am On Feb 06, 2018
The M20 Engine
This is a 6 cylinder Straight engine with Bosch Motronic Injection system.

The features are:
*It's a Single Overhead Camshaft design
*Displacement ranges from the 2.0L (identified with the single exhaust tip) to the 2.7L. The most desirable being the 2.5L variant found in the 325i.
*engine has a iron block and aluminium cylinder head
*engine uses a timing belt rather than a timing chain and should be replaced regularly
*earlier versions used a carburetor but were quickly replaced with the fuel injected versions
*the fuel management system uses an air flow meter (instead of the now common mass airflow sensor)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:29am On Feb 06, 2018
BMW M10 Engine
This is a 4 cylinder straight engine with relatively small displacements.

An old design (from 1962 up to 1988), it was seen as a 'strong' engine by enthusiasts.

Features are:
*Single overhead camshaft design
*Aluminium head over iron block
*Uses a timing chain
*carbureted using either solex, pierburg or Stromberg, depending on the displacement. Few had mechanical injection
*The M3 S14 engine was based on the M10 iron block

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:46am On Feb 06, 2018
BMW M40 Engine
This engine replaced the M10 in 1988. It is a 4 cylinder engine with fuel injection, single overhead camshaft and engine displacement was still in the 1.6L to 1.8L range.
Additional features are:
*Engine now belt driven instead of a timing chain
*same aluminum head, iron block configuration
*power generation increased with the 1.6L generating 101hp and the 1.8L 111hp.
*The M40 in the E30 generates more power than the ones in the E36, possibly due to emission restriction

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:33pm On Feb 06, 2018
BMW M42 Engine
The M42 is a complete upgrade to the M40 engine. It features advancements viz
*DOHC (dual overhead camshaft)
*timing chain
*hydraulic valve lifters
*4 valves per cylinder (m40 had 2 per cylinder)
*coil on plug system

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by laivwire(m): 10:45pm On Feb 07, 2018
Currently, I'm running a restoration project on an e30 316 coupe with an M40. Updates will be posted soon.
Following

2 Likes

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Nobody: 5:08am On Feb 08, 2018
Of all the cars I've owned none has been an E30, sadly.

Oh, I wanted one for sure but I could never find an affordable one with European bumpers. It had to have European bumpers, none of that USA bumpers that look like hairlip grin

1 Like

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:08am On Feb 08, 2018
laivwire:
Currently, I'm running a restoration project on an e30 316 coupe with an M40. Updates will be posted soon.
Following

Nice. Looking forward to the updates. You can share pictures here
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:12am On Feb 08, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Of all the cars I've owned none has been an E30, sadly.

Oh, I wanted one for sure but I could never find an affordable one with European bumpers. It had to have European bumpers, none of that USA bumpers that look like hairlip grin

Wow.
Most of the E30s in Nigeria are the euro variants. I have seen only a few American specs. You can get clean copies in Nigeria, full Euro

1 Like

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:39am On Feb 08, 2018
S14 Engine
The S14 engine is the variant found in the M3 E30. It is a very rare engine in Nigeria.
It is based on the M10 engine block and has the following features:
*4 cylinders with displacement ranging from 2.0L to 2.5L.
*dual overhead camshaft
*double row timing chain
*two separate throttle bodies
*engine design took only 14 days by the camshaft wizard, Paul Rosche
*the 2.5L variant generated 235hp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Chibzee2: 10:58am On Feb 08, 2018
The dirty thirty cool
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Chibzee2: 11:00am On Feb 08, 2018
Denn:

Wow.
Most of the E30s in Nigeria are the euro variants. I have seen only a few American specs. You can get clean copies in Nigeria, full Euro

My brother, I searched o..... I didn't see any very clean one.
And I'm not so keen on restoration projects in this country undecided

2 Likes

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Chibzee2: 11:02am On Feb 08, 2018
The coupe being the finest of them all....
The very few ones I saw....... Not in admirable conditions
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:28pm On Feb 08, 2018
Zoharariel:
My 1st Bmw ever. This is the machine that initiated me into the Bmw cult - A Bmw 325i - V6 grin

The 1st time I did 200km/h on that Kaduna-Abuja freeway in 2003, I was laughing & crying at the same time. That feeling still gives me nolstagia & orgasm grin

If I had tried that stunt in a Honda, Kia, Hyundai, or Toyota, walahi, my enemies for don celebrate my obituary tay-tay grin

Harald Krüger - The CEO & the current chairman of the board of management for BMW surely owes me a pre-owned Bmw X6M, M6 Gran Coup, M4 & Z4 for upholding the tenets & pricinples of the tradition.

Do you recommend buying a bmw today ?
I am in the market for a new car and I was leaning towards a c320 MB. I haven't heard salutary things about bmw and maintenance ...
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:04am On Feb 10, 2018
I was blocked from making further posts on this thread for two days.

I sent a message to the mod but did not get a response.

Explanation really required

CC:
Marpol
Seun

1 Like

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 9:11am On Feb 10, 2018
BMW M21 Engine
This is the only diesel engine to come in the E30 chassis.

It fully based in the M20 6 cylinder block.

It has the following features:
6 cylinder diesel engine
Compression ratio of 22:1
Comes with a turbo charger on some variants

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by VictorLudorum: 5:51pm On Jun 27, 2018
Hello Guys,

I'm looking for BMW E30 Sedan Sport seats (front driver and passenger) for immediate purchase. Should be in restorable condition. Frame still straight and level. For clarity, I've attached a photo of what the seats look like. If you have the comfort seats, please please, dont respond!

If you have a set or know where I can get one, kindly get back to me on this thread or message me and we can talk.

Victor

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Fieend: 6:28pm On Apr 17, 2019
Oga Denn, why did you stop though

I am an ardent follower of your restoration projects, and I've been learning.

Hello.

1 Like

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Ubty: 9:47pm On Oct 22, 2019
Enjoying this thread
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Denn(m): 5:41am On Oct 23, 2019
Fieend:
Oga Denn, why did you stop though

I am an ardent follower of your restoration projects, and I've been learning.

Hello.

There has been many behind-the-scene politics playing on Nairaland's Cartalk section that has just quenched the drive.

I was blocked unjustly for opening this thread, I was also blocked in the past for opening other threads.

Once I start posting, an admin will find a reason to lock the thread or delete it outrightly.

So I have dey my dey

Thanks boss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by brojero: 9:54pm On Oct 25, 2019
If you're on twitter or Instagram, and you Post your resto projects there, I'll be happy to follow.

Not Facebook sha
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by barrydee(m): 6:02am On Oct 26, 2019
Zoharariel:

Please remove Honda from this list because they are very stable on high speeds.
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by BamBamK: 11:14am On Nov 14, 2019
u can delete VERY from the sentence sha

barrydee:

Please remove Honda from this list because they are very stable on high speeds.
Re: Strictly Bmw E30 by Renditiondezign: 3:12pm On Dec 14, 2019
need an e30 in lagos, preferably automatic, please whatsapp me08059955902

(1) (Reply)

How To Know Signs Of A Bad Or Failing Abs Control Module / Please Which One Should I Go For And Why Honda Pilot 03 Or ACURA MDX 03 / Pls Help Me Out...chevrolet Spark Clutch Pedal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.