Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,203 members, 7,811,543 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? (19426 Views)

Three Categories Of "Atheists" On Nairaland: we were/are right. / A Question For All Atheists On Nairaland / Atheists On Nairaland Plagiarize The Work Of Foreigners On Online Forums. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2018
Never in my life hv I seen a collection of people who so vehemently resist any comment that ascribe glory and praise to God until I joined NL. I used to believe d idea was completely foreign until I joined Nairaland and realised they almost outnumber we the believers in God the creator of all.

I am not creating this to oppose such thought process which I felt was just theoretical as I know science tend to call anything they don't have proof of Mythical.

But for an African person who has probably heard from reliable sources things that happen in the spiritual and the existence of God who does things when his followers call him in whichever name they knw him as, to still believe there is no God, goes far beyond me.
Cud there be any special reasons why so many Nairalanders are Atheists who have no affiliation to religion and doubt the existence of God

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by dalaman: 7:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:
Never in my life hv I seen a collection of people who so vehemently resist any comment that ascribe glory and praise to God. I used to believe d idea was completely foreign until and joined Nairaland and realise they almost outnumber we the believer in God the creator of all.
I am not creating this to oppose such thought process which I felt was just theoretical as I knw as science tend to call anything they don't have proof of Mythical.
But for an African person who has probably heard from reliable sources things that happen in the spiritual and the existence of God who does things when his followers call him in whichever name they knw him as, to still believe there is no God, goes far beyond me.
Cud there be any special reasons why so many Nairalanders are Atheist who hv no affiliation to religion and doubt the existence of God?

How did you get to know that God exist?

4 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Colleverage: 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
angry ask your ole pastors

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
Because it is a medium of learning and Enlightenment

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:22pm On Feb 05, 2018
dalaman:

How did you get to know that God exist?
Isn't it obvious enough Hv u really thought abt d beginning of all things Do u really mean u haven't seen things happen in the name of God that will naturally never happen
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by emmie14: 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2018
Idlers
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by dalaman: 7:24pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Isn't it obvious enough Hv u really thought abt d beginning of all things Do u really mean u haven't seen things happen in the name of God that will naturally never happen

The question again. How did you get to know that God exist? Tell me because I will like to know.

6 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:25pm On Feb 05, 2018
Blakjewelry:
Because it is medium of learning and Enlightenment
Enlighten me more bro...
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:30pm On Feb 05, 2018
dalaman:

The question again. How did you get to know that God exist? Tell me because I will like to know.
Y not let's go d question and answer way? I asked u a question while answering urs. Go ahead and answer while I provide mine.
God does exist obviously apart from what nature shows and d unbroken order of nature but yet, d fact that we followers hv tried him just as Elijah in the Christian Bible dared Him to send down fire and He did. I hv seen things happen in my very eyes in the name of God.
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2018
Colleverage:
angry ask your ole pastors
I hv never needed a pastor to tell me that. I choose to hear ur view bro...
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Neurotika: 7:34pm On Feb 05, 2018
In a sane society, Atheism/Agnosticism should be the norm not Theism.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2018
It's simply because the owner is an atheist cheesy.

Just like,

Fulani President = Fulanis get to have fun and express themselves in anyway they seem fit, also bold enough to challenge any opposition.

Atheist NL Owner = Atheist finally get to have fun without much fear of backlash and are bold enough to drag it out with any opposition.

Simple logic wink, Imagine if S..eun was an open supporter of the LGBT community cheesy, you'll be amazed at what you might see here grin grin

Only difference is that Atheists are winning more converts here whereas you can't switch your roots to Fulani if you weren't born into one, at best, servant. lipsrsealed

Cc Ronpet777

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:42pm On Feb 05, 2018
The atheists r always given free pass to hv a go at any religious thread.But the point is, do u really consider every religious person not knowledgeable enough, or really not enlightened and emancipated from ideological shackles
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 7:45pm On Feb 05, 2018
GloryIsaac:
And this means? grin
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 7:51pm On Feb 05, 2018
I'm an atheist because when it comes to scrutinising a claim, one should start with the null hypothesis then arrive at a reasonable conclusion after examining evidences

I believe there is no god because the null hypothesis starts me from there, and it's up to believers to demonstrate that their god proposition is true.

When anybody can:
1. Provide a coherent definition of what they mean by "god"

2. Provide empirically testable predictions of that god, and show that these predictions are true

3. Show that this god is more parsimonious than all other natural explanations

I'll (at least tentatively) accept that a god exists. So far, none of these requirements have come anywhere close to being met, and I can reasonably assert that the proposition of a god existing is likely false.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:01pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
I'm an atheist because when it comes to scrutinising a claim, one should start with the null hypothesis then arrive at a reasonable conclusion after examining evidences

I believe there is no god because the null hypothesis starts me from there, and it's up to believers to demonstrate that their god proposition is true.

When anybody can:
1. Provide a coherent definition of what they mean by "god"

2. Provide empirically testable predictions of that god, and show that these predictions are true

3. Show that this god is more parsimonious than all other natural explanations

I'll (at least tentatively) accept that a god exists. So far, none of these requirements have come anywhere close to being met, and I can reasonably assert that the proposition of a god existing is likely false.
I believe u r not a robot and not dogmatic to theoretical factors for concluding a proof. The so-called professor who helped in propounding d jargons that make up a proof will only present d obvious and keep to himself the intuitional conclusion. My question to u is this, can u honestly tell me that if anything doesn't perfectly satisfy ur outlined hypothesis such thing is not believed and hereby discarded by u? Then u r obviously ignorant of the world u live in. U think wizardry and witch craft can be scientifically proven?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
Lalasticlala, we need comprehensive analysis and ideas on this controversial yet interesting and enlightening topic.
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 8:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

I believe u r not a robot and not dogmatic to theoretical factors for concluding a proof. The so-called professor who helped in propounding d jargons that make up a proof will only present d obvious and keep to himself the intuitional conclusion. My question to u is this, can u honestly tell me that if anything doesn't perfectly satisfy ur outlined hypothesis such thing is not believed and hereby discarded by u? Then u r obviously ignorant of the world u leave in. U think wizardry and witch craft can be scientifically proven?

Witchcraft and Wizardry is on the same level as Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Amadioha; they remain imaginary and myths believed to be true for so long that they got institutionalised

Get back to my three points up there and do something about it

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by DeSepiero(m): 8:08pm On Feb 05, 2018
There are more atheists, even around you. The forum gave them a platform.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:12pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Witchcraft and Wizardry is on the same level as Yahweh, Allah, Vishnu, Amadioha; they remain imaginary and myths believed to be true for so long that they got institutionalised

But hv u dared to see for urself the authenticity of these claims without the cloak of ur scientific hypothetical views? We don't need scientific mombo jombo to prove things. Africans from the start have always known there exist a supreme being the maker of all and so hv great pple the world over. But some scholars for d sakeof d popularity that comes with propelling a controversial claim came up with multiple theories to prove the world was created by itself.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Blakjewelry(m): 8:16pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

Enlighten me more bro...
Where there is light darkness cannot stand, where the truth and knowledge reign ignorance cannot prevail. Nairaland has helped brought knowledge to many. The reason why religion reign supreme is because we Africans don't read or we are too lazy to. Even with the advent of the internet were you can get any info you want at the tip of your finger, many will choose to Facebook, Twitter and argue politics or discuss sex.
A simple search in the history of the world will show there thousands of belief systems Bourne out ignorance or just simply put men trying to explain the world based on their understanding. Let's take the most popular religion in the world Christianity.
Now Christianity and Islam are both an offshoot of the Jewish religion, and the Jewish religion which makes up the old testament is riddled in myths which are originated from both pre Jewish and similar belief surrounding the then Israel nation.
Many people take the Bible of genesis as the only true account of creation, now I break that into two parts.

First part, there are a lot of pre Abraham or pre Moses account of similar creation from other ancient cultures trying to explain how the world was made. These tales can be found in the Egyptians and Mesopotamia stories, but the major difference is while they attribute their own to many gods and also try to explain how the gods came about, but the Jewish one is came in later tried to modified to a single god

2. Multiple accounts same story. While today we only know of singular Bible books of old testament, but a simple search will reveal that we have multiple accounts of the same story some that will even make you laugh.

Today even scholars from Israel knows that some part of the Bible is pure fiction they are only trying to find out how far back can be establish as real history.

Though some people say they are atheist because it gives them freedom to act without their conscience pricking to such people, I think religion is very important because it helps to keep some people in check.

But for a rational being you think before you act, and you never do anything to hurt your fellow man, you will never hurt nature and all therein

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 8:19pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:

But hv u dared to see for urself the authenticity of these claims without the cloak of ur scientific hypothetical views.

Yes I have put witchcraft and wizardry to the test and found it wanting, I now fear a herbalist clubbing me to death or taking my name down and sending hired killers to me than he making is meaningless and useless incantations

We don't need scientific mombo jombo to prove things. Africans from the start have always known there exist a supreme being the maker of all and so hv great pple if old.
Great people of old have been proven wrong on many things, they didn't even know where the sun went at night; you now have access to more information in a day than the great people of old have in a lifetime
But some scholars for d same of d popularity of propelling a controversial claim came up with multiple theories to prove the world was created by itself.
this is strawman, no one has stated the world creating itself

10 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Blakjewelry(m): 8:20pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

If there is anything this one reason I don't contribute to any atheist and religious people because of such use of words, at least we should all learn to respect other people's religion, truth is very important because it helps to keep some people in check

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:22pm On Feb 05, 2018
Blakjewelry:

Where there is light darkness cannot stand, where the truth and knowledge reign ignorance cannot prevail. Nairaland has helped brought knowledge to many. The reason why religion reign supreme is because we Africans don't read or we are too lazy to. Even with the advent of the internet were you can get any info you want at the tip of your finger, many will choose to Facebook, Twitter and argue politics or discuss sex.
A simple search in the history of the world will show there thousands of belief systems Bourne out ignorance or just simply put men trying to explain the world based on their understanding. Let's take the most popular religion in the world Christianity.
Now Christianity and Islam are both an offshoot of the Jewish religion, and the Jewish religion which makes up the old testament is riddled in myths which are originated from both pre Jewish and similar belief surrounding the then Israel nation.
Many people take the Bible of genesis as the only true account of creation, now I break that into two parts.

First part, there are a lot of pre Abraham or pre Moses account of similar creation from other ancient cultures trying to explain how the world was made. These tales can be found in the Egyptians and Mesopotamia stories, but the major difference is while they attribute their own to many gods and also try to explain how the gods came about, but the Jewish one is came in later tried to modified to a single god

2. Multiple accounts same story. While today we only know of singular Bible books of old testament, but a simple search will reveal that we have multiple accounts of the same story some that will even make you laugh.

Today even scholars from Israel knows that some part of the Bible is pure fiction they are only trying to find out how far back can be establish as real history.

Though some people say they are atheist because it gives them freedom to act without their conscience pricking to such people, I think religion is very important because it helps to keep some people in check.

But for a rational being you think before you act, and you never do anything to hurt your fellow man, you will never hurt nature and all therein
U r making a whole lot of sense bro...

4 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:24pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

Yes I have put witchcraft and wizardry to the test and found it wanting, I now fear a herbalist clubbing me to death or taking my name down and sending hired killers to me than he making is meaningless and useless incantations

Great people of old have been proven wrong on many things, they didn't even know where the sun went at night; you now have access to more information in a day than the great people of old have in a lifetime

this is strawman, no one has stated the world creating itself
Then help out, how did it come to be I How did d world evolve?
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 8:29pm On Feb 05, 2018
Blakjewelry:

If there is anything this one reason I don't contribute to any atheist and religious people because of such use of words, at least we should all learn to respect other people's religion, truth is very important because it helps to keep some people in check

I respect the believer but NOT the belief, people make the mistake of thinking both are the same but they're actually very different

The religious have a hard time separating themselves from their beliefs. To them, their beliefs are a part of them, and any criticism or attack on their beliefs is an attack on them. Many of them have been indoctrinated from a young age, not only with their beliefs, but also to be wary of anyone who would try to convince them to abandon their beliefs or even critically analyze them

I expect people to not only question my beliefs, but ridicule them when they're ridiculous. Someone who lets me keep believing the moon is made of green cheese isn't doing me any favors at all.
Imagine I tell you that I believe in Blue Space Monkeys who rule the universe, and they will cause humanity great harm, unless you give me all your money, no questions asked. Would you say Ok, I respect your beliefs?

The bottom line is that I am obligated to respect the right of everyone to hold an opinion different from my own. This I do very diligently. I am not, however, obligated to respect the opinion itself and am also free to criticize anything proposed in the arena of ideas.

22 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by hopefulLandlord: 8:35pm On Feb 05, 2018
Ronpet777:
Then help out, how did it come to be I How did d world evolve?
You dodged my own question bro
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I respect the believer but NOT the belief, people make the mistake of thinking both are the same but they're actually very different

The religious have a hard time separating themselves from their beliefs. To them, their beliefs are a part of them, and any criticism or attack on their beliefs is an attack on them. Many of them have been indoctrinated from a young age, not only with their beliefs, but also to be wary of anyone who would try to convince them to abandon their beliefs or even critically analyze them

I expect people to not only question my beliefs, but ridicule them when they're ridiculous. Someone who lets me keep believing the moon is made of green cheese isn't doing me any favors at all.
Imagine I tell you that I believe in Blue Space Monkeys who rule the universe, and they will cause humanity great harm, unless you give me all your money, no questions asked. Would you say Ok, I respect your beliefs?

The bottom line is that I am obligated to respect the right of everyone to hold an opinion different from my own. This I do very diligently. I am not, however, obligated to respect the opinion itself and am also free to criticize anything proposed in the arena of ideas.
Well spoken... But a question to u now is which is ur belief. Can u kindly convince me to share ur belief? How did the world come to exist and mankind itself?

1 Like

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by chemystery: 8:39pm On Feb 05, 2018
Because religion is an illusion made up by men in their confusion.
If no one had told us about god, we wouldn't know about him.
If god wanted us to know about him, he would do that himself and not rely on fallible men.
Have you asked yourself why it took thousands of years for Africa to know about the abrahamic god? Yes, because religion is man made and therefore requires the effort of man to propagate it.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by chemystery: 8:45pm On Feb 05, 2018
Blakjewelry:

No religion is worthy of respect.
Should we respect religion where people kill in the name of god?
Or that which teaches people that blood transfusion is a sin?
I personally lost a friend who refused blood transfusion because of her faith.
Even Christians don't respect other people's religion. For instance, there are people who worship Satan and you know what Christians do with Satan on every fasting and praying session. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:47pm On Feb 05, 2018
To prove my curiosity, no single Christian has commented nor has a Muslim submitted an opinion.
Does this mean Christians and Muslims and other religious pple have nothing to say or fear being overrun by atheists and their idiosyncrasy? Pls come and defend ur belief logically without fuss. This is a big enlightenment avenue.
Re: Why So Many Atheists On Nairaland Forum? by Ronpet777(m): 8:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

You dodged my own question bro
Which question in particular?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Are Sub-saharan Africans Intellectually Inferior To Other Races? / Daddy Freeze To Start Preaching On TV Against Tithing (Video) / "Wickedness Must Die" Mountain Of Fire Ministries Poster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.