Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,490 members, 7,847,023 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 09:36 AM

“ Nyarinya I Na Sunki “ - A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / “ Nyarinya I Na Sunki “ - A Short Story (1331 Views)

Na Man Wey I Be: A Breaking Bad Story... / I Fit Be Second Jesus(sex Na Food 2)the Return Of Spana By Youngzubi / Sex Na Food (Pidgin Comedy Edition) Story Of A Rugged Guy By Youngzubi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

“ Nyarinya I Na Sunki “ - A Short Story by nkem12345(m): 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2018
“ NYARINYA I NA SUNKI “

I had sworn by the last set of ‘ kilishi ‘ meat that I will eat in life , never to repeat this word to any one .

I repeat : NEVER TO REPEAT IT AGAIN

NOT EVEN IF I MEAN EVERY WORD OF WHAT IT MEANS

While I was introduced to the northern culture and language , no other word had sunk into my head more than this one.

It’s translation in English was just as romantic as it looked .

Kai! I was determined to blow it everywhere . I would just change it slightly and people would understand

I had met this old woman at terminus market selling fried fish and Akara and frankly , one Congolese demon was telling me to make her like me so that she can be adding at least one extra akara each time I come to buy .

Or so I thought !

I prepared my arsenal of newly learnt Hausa words and started with a confident “I na kwana “ ( how are you doing )

The next word i said was not completely out when I received a thunderous slap ; the type of slap that the gods give when you fail to make annual sacrifices for 12 market days !
“.....danburuba .....@&$&@$&@&&$@& “ , I could swear that the only thing I heard from mama that made sense was “danburuba”, the rest was sounding like plates scattering in a kitchen .

I tried to remember what I was trying to say and then it sunk in ...

“ nyarinya .... I na sun....” .

actually it was “ nyarinya I na sunki “ meaning “ girl I love you “

Mama didn’t take it funny o .
As I recoiled from the shock of the slap and picked up my nylon that had fallen down , mama hurled a missile of burning firewood in my direction .

Brethren! I ran !
I ran !
I was just running !

As I reached a distance the length of Niger bridge , I shined eyes and stood on one leg as I watched for signs of mama.

Negative! .

I walked home and as I moved gingerly from the pain of my aching feet , I swore never to say “ I na sunki “ again , not even in death .
Re: “ Nyarinya I Na Sunki “ - A Short Story by ItzPrinceIB(m): 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2018
ToH KaI DoLeNe SaEkAyI HaUsA?

(1) (Reply)

Inspirational-----2011, The Mid-year Crisis! / A Glass Of Milk : A SMALL GESTURE / Life Of A BTC Chairman - Fictional Dairy Of A Crytpo Hustler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.