Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,935 members, 7,956,515 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:10 PM

How To Keep Growing Even Though You’re The Only One In Your Department - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Keep Growing Even Though You’re The Only One In Your Department (336 Views)

Department Of Petroleum Resources DPR Salary Structure / Mention Your Department Lets Send You The Best Project Topic To Research On / How To Figure Out If You’re In The Wrong Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Keep Growing Even Though You’re The Only One In Your Department by assisttohire: 2:14pm On Feb 08, 2018
How To Keep Growing Even Though You’re The Only One In Your Department
We all know that learning is an important aspect of growth in our career path and of course, there are several ways to learn. We learn from colleagues, bosses, or even subordinates and other popular ways of learning.

But, what happens when you’re the only one in your department in the organization you work for?

How do you connect, make progress or at least, even realize that you’re making progress?

I know of a friend who left the organization he worked for simply because he felt he couldn’t grow there as he was the only one in the department.

If you’re in this situation, or your employees are the only ones in a certain department, here are simple ways to move up in your career line.

1. Read Vastly Often
One of the easiest way to grow is to read vastly and very often too. There are articles and blog posts published on a daily basis, books to help you grow and keep you updated. Before you begin the day or at the end of the day, take some time out, say 30 minutes or more to read something relevant to your career path. By doing this, you will keep yourself up to date and be open to inspirations. I’ve had most of my best ideas and inspiration by reading.

2. Join Virtual Communities
With the help of social media, one can easily join a virtual community and connect with like minded individuals. These communities could charge you up, you could ask questions and receive answers from people in your career path without even having to meet them in person. Platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn are very good platforms to join groups and contribute your voice to the discussions ongoing in the community.

3. Attend Courses Online
There are thousands and hundreds of courses out there on the internet that could improve your performance in your role. You could get many of these courses for free or at a premium. It wouldn’t be a bad idea if you invest some time into developing and equipping yourself with relevant skills.

4. Attend Offline Events
It is not enough to attend online events or participate in group discussions, it is much more important to connect at a face level.

You could find out where professionals in your role meet up in person and attend. There are many free or offered at a premium offline events that you could find. One of such places to find free events that could fit into your career path is eventbrite. I’ve used it countless times to source for offline events that are free or close to free and I’ve had wonderful experiences.

5. Continually Seek Out New Challenges
Finally, in your quest to grow, it is important that you continually seek new and exciting challenges that could stage a growth in your career. You could volunteer to assist in interesting projects even if they do not fit into your career path. By doing this, you’ll be able to experiment new methods and learn new skills in solving any problem you encounter.

It is of utmost importance that you continually seek to learn and grow on the job. Otherwise, you risk getting stagnated in your career which could be devastating.

Cheers! I hope this helps.

If there are other ways you think one can grow working alone in a department, please share with us in the comments.

Thanks!

Please visit our website at [/http://www.assisttohire.com/blog/] to get more interesting reads.

(1) (Reply)

Get The Perfect Foundation For Your International Safety Courses / What Could You Do, If A So Called Expatriate Slaps You? / Union Bank Holds Empowerment Programme For Women Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.