Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees (12017 Views)

Motivation Thurday. Picture Quotes To Motivate You / Chinese Employers Sack Nigerian Employees Over Refusal To Practice Buddhism / Voice Of America Sacks 15 Hausa Employees In A Nigeria Bribery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by agvictor(m): 2:02am On Feb 11, 2018
Employees that are happy would not just stop at making your people feel good., they work and to are satisfy them. A happy employee is a productive person which means you’ll be able to do more as an organization.

In this article, I shall be showing you the five worst ways to keeping employees motivated as well as an alternative to that.

Bad #1 Using scaremongering techniques – You tell staff how bad the company is performing. This makes them feel useless at their job, and like they are going down with a sinking ship.                                                             
Good – Instead, tell them areas where the company is performing well and then add in where the company needs improvement.

Bad #2 Pointing out ‘wrongs’ to make a right – When you point out mistakes or ‘wrong ways’ of doing things you make staff feel inadequate.                                                                                     
Good – Sometimes the ‘wrong’ way of doing something is just a different way, so assess if it achieves the same or better result before you call them up on it. 

Bad #3 Condemning staff members in public – You embarrass staff members by making an example of them. You think it will motivate them not to make the same mistakes again.        

Good – Ask to speak with them in private to discuss why they did what they did and discuss how they can stop making the same mistake in the future.

Bad #4 Treating everyone equally – You treat employees fairly by treating everyone the same. This results in your top performing employees becoming annoyed and demotivated                                                                                              
Good – If there is a problem among some of your staff don’t just address the whole team. Always remember to give praise where it is due to those performing well.

Bad #5 Setting unrealistic deadlines – You think the harder the deadline the more your staff will achieve, but this does the opposite. They realise that the goal is unattainable so are discouraged to achieve it. 

Good – Be specific with the goals you set. Have long term goals such as hit x amount of sales by end of the 1st quarter, and have smaller goals such as hit x amount of sales daily

Conclusion
In order to make your employees better, never set unrealistic goals and at the same time make them have the sense of belonging by treating them equal.

More: https://www.agvictor.com/2018/02/06/five-worst-ways-motivate-employees/

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Bblessing37: 7:20am On Feb 11, 2018
Made it again to the front page. May God bless every one. Happy Sunday fellas.

1 Like

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by rawpadgin(m): 7:21am On Feb 11, 2018
Brilliant!

Some bosses need to realize that the best way to manage a firm is to manage the employees properly

#workersarenottools

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by matgold(m): 7:22am On Feb 11, 2018
Very useful

4 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by peacettw: 7:24am On Feb 11, 2018
Informative piece.

Asides from the workplace, I just realised that the same principle can also be applied in one's marital life and in the upbringing of kids.

Thanks for sharing

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Flexy2vybes(m): 7:26am On Feb 11, 2018
Isokay
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by ObservantFellow: 7:28am On Feb 11, 2018
Unfortunately, so many colleagues fail to realize these salient points. Reading through, it appeared that was the difference between myself and many of my colleagues; man management.

OP, thanks for this. Would be vital in our next meeting.

1 Like

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by daviefm(m): 7:29am On Feb 11, 2018
LIKE A PROPIETOR CALLING OUT A TEACHER FOR DATING STUDENTS ON THE ASSEMBLY GROUND... BAD ASS

1 Like

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by rawtouch: 7:29am On Feb 11, 2018
not increasing pay..
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by priiince(m): 7:35am On Feb 11, 2018
Nice text, I can vividly relate to ALL the stated points, managers these days metamorphos to become bosses with inhuman characteristics.

The first day my manager shouted at me in the business hall with load of customers threw me into an unfriendly space called depression.
I nefa experedit

3 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by debolayinka(m): 7:38am On Feb 11, 2018
Remuneration (both monetary and non-monetary) should be one of the motivating factors when an employee performs beyond expectations. It encourages the employee and others to do better.
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by lonelydora: 7:39am On Feb 11, 2018
A slogan i won't forget so soon is "Take care of your employees, and they will take care of your customers"

3 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by EmmaLege: 7:41am On Feb 11, 2018
wink
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by iamjavadem(m): 7:46am On Feb 11, 2018
Only the conclusion makes sense. I was expecting things like how to deliver negative feedback. Nice attempt tho.
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by jerflakes(m): 8:01am On Feb 11, 2018
In the Nigerian sector, it's the opposite

the good is bad and the bad is good

3 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by datola: 8:04am On Feb 11, 2018
All these points are not applicable to Nigerian employees.

If you are not very strict, they'll mess up your business big time.

All the performing banks in Nigeria don't apply those rules to be succefful.

1 Like

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Nobody: 8:18am On Feb 11, 2018
Number 1 does not work for one man business in a society like Nigeria. Tell a staff how good he's been then he will think without him your business is dead.

1 Like

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 11, 2018
datola:

Assuming I saw your post earlier I would not have posted mine. I don't need a native doctor to tell me that you are a business owner in Nigeria, Nigerians know how to run down a business as fast as possible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:21am On Feb 11, 2018
datola:

They will mess it up big time if u relax on strictness. That's just the fact
The reason why many organizations are looking for self motivated individuals as a requirement to hire.
Exactly!
Almost everyone likes pleasure, enjoyment grin
As funny as it sounds, no one will like to Work really if it were possible.

3 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Nobody: 8:23am On Feb 11, 2018
lonelydora:
A slogan i won't forget so soon is "Take care of your employees, and they will take care of your customers"
Take care of a Nigerian worker, he or she will think you are awfully stupid.

2 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by kaycyor: 8:35am On Feb 11, 2018
Money. Money. Money. Money n more Money.. That's all
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by sunbbo(m): 8:51am On Feb 11, 2018
Good.

Apply For ARM Life Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions)

ARM Life is the Insurance subsidiary of Asset & Resource Management Company Ltd (ARM). Its parent company, ARM is one of the largest non-bank financial services firms in Nigeria with a focus on asset management. Established in 1994, ARM started operations as a traditional asset management company specializing in the management of quoted equities and fixed income securities. ARM Life Latest Job Recruitment (7 Positions) as follows;

1.) Marketer

Deadline: Not Specified.

Click Here To View Details

2.) Financial Adviser

Deadline: Not Specified.

3.) Business Relationship Management / IT PMO

Deadline: 7th March, 2018.

4.) Business Analyst

5.) Head, IT Operations and Infrastructure Management/DBA

6.) Team Member, Brand Development & Management

7.) Team Lead, Employer Management

Source: http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2018/02/08/arm-life-latest-job-recruitment/
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by EasterDell: 9:01am On Feb 11, 2018
This is the mindset of most people who hold leadership positions in Nigeria. Deep down, they believe you should be treated like shit... Bravo

Netanyahu1:

Being strict and high handed in values doesn't stop you from applying courtesy and sound employee relations etiquette.

2 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 11, 2018
EasterDell:
This is the mindset of most people who hold leadership positions in Nigeria. Deep down, they believe you should be treated like shit... Bravo

Being strict and high handed in values doesn't stop you from applying courtesy and sound employee relations etiquette.
. You have not managed Nigerians, I used to think Indians and Lebanies were slave masters until I was in thier shoes. Might be different when people are scared of losing their huge paychecks , but if you are managing a growing business and you intend to grow it, be nice to employees at your own risk.
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by EasterDell: 9:15am On Feb 11, 2018
What aspect of the post says you should not be strict?

Performing banks my ass! Bank employees in Nigeria are glorified slaves. I bet you have not met a banker in the US or UK?? As a rule, they are richer than your so called oil workers.

We have a nasty self imposed slave/master relationship in black Africa. Good luck perpetuating it...

Being strict and high handed in managing your business does not stop you from applying dignified employee management.

Employee management is tough! anywhere in the world

datola:

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by MRLANNISTER(m): 9:18am On Feb 11, 2018
datola:

If it's a South African that wrote this we will say they hate us, or it's racism. Nigerians are humans if you treat them as humans. Same with other people. Create a good working environment and we will excel. We are not animals.

The points mentioned by the OP are very vital and would work in any sane workplace. Nigerian firms included.

3 Likes

Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by dratine(m): 9:19am On Feb 11, 2018
Netanyahu1:
If you don't take care of your employees then WHO WILL?
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by EasterDell: 9:46am On Feb 11, 2018
I manage a lot of Nigerians... and it's not funny. I always rather my subordinates fear me. Being strict and clear about what I call performance matters to me here... and believe me, my courtesy does not get in the way.

Netanyahu1:
. You have not managed Nigerians, I used to think Indians and Lebanies were slave masters until I was in thier shoes. Might be different when people are scared of losing their huge paychecks , but if you are managing a growing business and you intend to grow it, be nice to employees at your own risk.
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by RapportNaija(m): 9:55am On Feb 11, 2018
Lol... You know why this is funny? Because all these happens in my workplace, except treating all workers equally.
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Akexstinger(m): 9:56am On Feb 11, 2018
Netanyahu1:

Spare us this nonsense. Indians are known all over the world as cheapscake and with no feelings. It's not particular to Nigerians.
We have a lot of Nigerians in the oil sector being controlled by British, Americans, Germans, the French e.t.c and they are excelling well and bringing in Innovative ideas. These coys are still in operations since they came to naija.
Instead of you to admit that you don't like your employees in the first place and you have this mentality of " they will cheat me, if I pay them high they will feel like boss and not work; because that's how Indians think" you are here praising Indians and lebanese as your model. Have you ever seen a good Indian model? Those guys waste a lot and are corrupt.
Re: Five Of The Worst Ways To Motivate Employees by Larryhoover(m): 10:23am On Feb 11, 2018
Nice one OP.

Human engineering is the major factor causing set backs and failures of businesses in Nigeria and I would like to recommend to people in leadership role and even everyone to do training on Dale Carnegie's courses to assist in development of human relationship. I believe there would be improved performance after the training.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kiki Mordi Nominated For Future Awards For Journalism / A Fintech Or A Bank Job? / 8 Ways Your Résumé Can Be Unprofessional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.