Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,269 members, 7,836,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

"I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop (637 Views)

Orji Kalu Visits Ignatius Kaigama, Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja (PHOTOS) / Ignatius Kaigama Assumes Duty As Abuja Catholic Archbishop / Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Niflheim(m): 5:29pm On Feb 12, 2018
FULL STORY:

One of the highest-ranking officials in the Catholic Church has stated that he would “rather go to prison” than report pedophilia to police.

Australia’s most powerful clergy, Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart, says he’s prepared to be jailed for failing to report child sex abuse by pedophile priests.

He made the shocking statement in response to the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse saying there should be “no excuse, protection nor privilege” for clergy who failed to alert police of abuse.

Hart insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a higher order” than criminal law.

A new report by the commission proposed 85 sweeping changes to the criminal justice system and recommended that priests face criminal charges for failing to report serious crimes such as sexual abuse to the police.

As the law currently stands, clergy are not legally obliged to report crimes to the police and disciplinary proceedings for criminal activity by members of the Catholic Church are handled internally by Canon law, which operates independently of the regular legal procedure.

Following an investigation by the commission, officials believe that the Catholic Church is using “confessional confidentiality” as a cover for not reporting child sex abuse to the authorities.

“We understand the significance of religious confession – in particular, the inviolability of the confessional seal to people of some faiths, particularly the Catholic faith”, said the report. “However, we heard evidence of a number of instances where disclosures of child sexual abuse were made in religious confession, by both victims and perpetrators.” We are satisfied that confession is a forum where Catholic children have disclosed their sexual abuse and where clergy have disclosed their abusive behavior in order to deal with their own guilt.”
Catholic Archbishop: ‘I’d Rather Go to Prison Than Report Child Abuse to Police’
By admin On January 31, 2018 In News 55 Comments

facebook
tweet
google+

One of the highest-ranking officials in the Catholic Church has stated that he would “rather go to prison” than report pedophilia to police.

Australia’s most powerful clergy, Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart, says he’s prepared to be jailed for failing to report child sex abuse by pedophile priests.

He made the shocking statement in response to the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse saying there should be “no excuse, protection nor privilege” for clergy who failed to alert police of abuse.

Hart insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a higher order” than criminal law.

A new report by the commission proposed 85 sweeping changes to the criminal justice system and recommended that priests face criminal charges for failing to report serious crimes such as sexual abuse to the police.

As the law currently stands, clergy are not legally obliged to report crimes to the police and disciplinary proceedings for criminal activity by members of the Catholic Church are handled internally by Canon law, which operates independently of the regular legal procedure.

Following an investigation by the commission, officials believe that the Catholic Church is using “confessional confidentiality” as a cover for not reporting child sex abuse to the authorities.

“We understand the significance of religious confession – in particular, the inviolability of the confessional seal to people of some faiths, particularly the Catholic faith”, said the report. “However, we heard evidence of a number of instances where disclosures of child sexual abuse were made in religious confession, by both victims and perpetrators.”

We are satisfied that confession is a forum where Catholic children have disclosed their sexual abuse and where clergy have disclosed their abusive behavior in order to deal with their own guilt.”

Independent reports: Asked on Tuesday if he would rather go to prison than breach the seal of confession, he told ABC Radio Melbourne:

“I’ve said that I would.”I believe that this is an absolutely sacrosanct communication of a higher order.”

The link:..............................................................http://nativescomunity.info/2018/01/31/catholic-archbishop-id-rather-go-to-prison-than-report-child-abuse-to-police/

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by superhumanist(m): 5:34pm On Feb 12, 2018
Ubenedictus, italo,

Come and see your crazy clergy

1 Like

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ekiseme(m): 5:36pm On Feb 12, 2018
Surprising

1 Like

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by ogawriter(m): 5:37pm On Feb 12, 2018
That means that the Archbishop will rather rape a woman than go to hell fire.

1 Like

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Thewesterner(m): 5:45pm On Feb 12, 2018
Perversed

1 Like

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Epositive(m): 5:48pm On Feb 12, 2018
It seems these catholic priests are naturally afflicted with pedophilia undecided ;.

1 Like

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Chrisbeks: 6:01pm On Feb 12, 2018
Crazy Catholics with their Antichrist of a pope

1 Like

Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ubenedictus(m): 8:06am On Feb 14, 2018
superhumanist:
Ubenedictus, italo,

Come and see your crazy clergy
you are so quick to judge, you didn't even realise that this is fake news and no reputable news agency carried this bogus story
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by superhumanist(m): 8:16am On Feb 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
you are so quick to judge, you didn't even realise that this is fake news and no reputable news agency carried this bogus story

I have always known you to be a SLAVE of the catholic church. Here is a reputable source;

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/15/melbourne-archbishop-says-hed-rather-go-to-jail-than-report-child-abuse-heard-in-confession

In past times, you would have been a crusader.
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ubenedictus(m): 8:29am On Feb 14, 2018
for those who wish to know the real news.

the issue is about Catholic confession, Australia wants to make a new law to force Catholic priest to report whatever they hear in confession. all over the world the confession in the Catholic Church is a privilege information under law and cannot be reported to anyone else. Australia wants to change that and the Catholic Church both bishop and priest have made it clear that such law will not be allowed or obeyed.

https://epicpew.com/archbishop-denis-hart-confession-seal/

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/15/melbourne-archbishop-says-hed-rather-go-to-jail-than-report-child-abuse-heard-in-confession

as you can see the bishop didn't say
Hart insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual
encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a
higher order” than criminal law.

as falsely reported above,
he said

Hart insisted that confession was “a spiritual
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ubenedictus(m): 8:33am On Feb 14, 2018
superhumanist:

I have always known you to be a SLAVE of the catholic church. Here is a reputable source;

In past times, you would have been a crusader.
and even in the present time Protestants still engage in subtle lies.

this is what the guardian recorded the bishop saying

“I believe [confession] is an
absolute sacrosanct
communication of a higher
order that priests by nature
respect,” Hart said on Tuesday
morning.
“We are admitting a
communication with God is of
a higher order,” he said. “It is a sacred trust. It’s
something those who are not Catholics find hard to
understand but we believe it is most, most sacred
and it’s very much part of us.”

whereas you guys went and LIED about it saying the he said

can you see the lies and fake news or has bias blinded you
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by superhumanist(m): 8:59am On Feb 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
and even in the present time Protestants still engage in subtle lies.

this is what the guardian recorded the bishop saying

“I believe [confession] is an
absolute sacrosanct
communication of a higher
order that priests by nature
respect,” Hart said on Tuesday
morning.
“We are admitting a
communication with God is of
a higher order,” he said. “It is a sacred trust. It’s
something those who are not Catholics find hard to
understand but we believe it is most, most sacred
and it’s very much part of us.”

whereas you guys went and LIED about it saying the he said

can you see the lies and fake news or has bias blinded you

Mr man, here is the Guardian title in bold:

Melbourne archbishop says he'd rather go to jail than report child abuse heard in confession

And it is a fact. Why would one allow a child molester to go scott free?
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ubenedictus(m): 9:46am On Feb 14, 2018
superhumanist:

Mr man, here is the Guardian title in bold:

Melbourne archbishop says he'd rather go to jail than report child abuse heard in confession

And it is a fact. Why would one allow a child molester to go scott free?

the guardian clearly adds "in confession" which is absent from the op, the guardian also quotes the bishop correctly and the op doesn't.

of course a criminal should not go unpunished but the Church is not an arm of the police nor is privileged information a place to go snooping. the law doesn't require lawyers to report the crimes of their client nor should priests be forced to report sins penitent confessed to God that is privileged information, gat it?
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ubenedictus(m): 9:54am On Feb 14, 2018
in the law of evidence , a privilege is a rule of evidence that allows the holder of the privilege to refuse to disclose information or provide evidence about a certain subject or to bar such evidence from being disclosed or used in a judicial or other proceeding. There are a large number of such privileges recognised by the judicial system, some stemming from the common law and others from statute law. Each privilege has its own rules, which often vary between jurisdictions.
The effect of the privilege is usually a right on the part of a party or witness to a case, allowing them to refuse to produce evidence in the form of documents or testimony from the person entitled to the privilege. For example, a person can generally prevent their attorney testifying about the legal relationship between attorney and client, even if the attorney were willing to do so. In this case the privilege belongs to the client and not the attorney.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_(evidence)

The clergy–penitent privilege , clergy privilege , confessional privilege , priest–penitent privilege , clergyman–communicant privilege , or ecclesiastical privilege is a rule of evidence that forbids judicial inquiry into certain communications (spoken or otherwise) between clergy and members of their congregation. The law recognises certain communication as privileged and not subject to otherwise obligatory disclosure; for example, this often applies to communications between lawyers and clients. In many jurisdictions certain communications between a member of the clergy of some or all religious faiths (e.g., a minister, priest, rabbi, imam) and a person consulting them in confidence are privileged in law. In particular, Catholics are required to confess sins to priests, who are unconditionally forbidden by Church canon law from making any disclosure, [1] a position supported by the law of many countries, although in conflict with civil law in some jurisdictions. [1] It is a distinct concept from that of confidentiality (see non-disclosure agreement). The protection of the clergy–penitent privilege relationships rests on one of the more basic privileges as strong or stronger than the similar clauses to confidentiality between lawyer and client.
According to former U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, Warren Burger, "The clergy privilege is rooted in the imperative need for confidence and trust. The... privilege recognizes the human need to disclose to a spiritual counselor, in total and absolute confidence, what are believed to be flawed acts or thoughts and to receive consolations and guidance in return." [6] A pastor has a duty to hold in confidence any information obtained during a counseling session. A pastor who violates this trust might be on the losing end of a suit for an invasion of privacy or defamation. [7]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest–penitent_privilege_in_the_UK
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by superhumanist(m): 10:51am On Feb 14, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the guardian clearly adds "in confession" which is absent from the op, the guardian also quotes the bishop correctly and the op doesn't.

of course a criminal should not go unpunished but the Church is not an arm of the police nor is privileged information a place to go snooping. the law doesn't require lawyers to report the crimes of their client nor should priests be forced to report sins penitent confessed to God that is privileged information, gat it?

Lawyers are not expected to be moral. Preists are
Re: "I'd Rather Go To Prison Than Report Child Abuse To Police"-catholic Archbishop by Ubenedictus(m): 11:49am On Feb 14, 2018
superhumanist:

Lawyers are not expected to be moral. Preists are
the question is about laws, the law protect privileged information and the priest in the confessional is privileged information.

secondary it is immoral for a priest to go about revealing the sins their congregation confessed to God in their presence, it is also a crime punished by excommunication.

it is morally imperative to keep privileged information as privileged.

(1) (Reply)

My Testimony / Who Is Your Pastor? / God Turns A French Atheist Into A Christian Theologian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.