Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,491 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) (28362 Views)

Kehinde Wiley Honoured By Harvard University After Painting Obama / Meet Kehinde Wiley, The Designer Of Obama's Portrait / Obama Chooses Kehinde Wiley For His Official Presidential Portrait (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Mandynews(f): 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2018
Barack Obama’s official portrait, the first presidential portrait by a black artist commissioned for the National Portrait Gallery, was unveiled Monday.

Michelle Obama’s portrait, also painted by a Kehinde Wiley and another national first, was revealed as well.

For his portrait, which will hang in the hall of presidents in the National Portrait Gallery, Obama chose Kehinde Wiley, a prominent Yale-trained painter known for large, colorful portraits of black people in the regal style of classic European paintings. (Former presidents always choose their artists.)

“His initial impulse was to elevate me,” Obama joked. “I had to explain that I’ve got enough political problems without you making me look like Napoleon. We’ve got to bring it down just a touch.”

Instead, Obama was placed in front of a simpler backdrop of greenery, which Wiley explained as “charting his path on Earth through those plants,” according to Washington Post reporter Dan Zak. In the painting, there is “a fight going on” between Obama and the plants, which, Wiley said, represent Obama’s story. The flowers featured grow in Illinois, Hawaii, and Kenya, he said.

“How about that?” Obama said after the portrait was unveiled. “That’s pretty sharp.”

The former president added a couple self-deprecating jokes: “I mean, there were a number of issues that we were trying to negotiate,” he said. “I tried to negotiate less grey hair. And Kehinde’s artistic integrity would not allow him to do that. I tried to negotiate smaller ears. Struck out on that as well.”

According to the New York Times, “Wiley’s art plays on different ways of seeing, and questions the representation of nonwhites (or lack thereof) in Western art.” According to the Guardian, Wiley finds most of his models on the street, although he has also painted celebrities such as Michael Jackson.
“What I was always struck by whenever I saw his portraits was the degree to which they challenged our conventional views of power and privilege,” Obama said.

Michelle Obama chose a more obscure artist, Baltimore-based artist Amy Sherald, for her portrait. According to the New York Times, the National Portrait Gallery curators had not known Sherald when they started creating a list of artists for the Obamas. Sherald also paints portraits of black Americans, and according to the Times, her subjects “appear before solid fields of color reminiscent of Manet.”

When her portrait was revealed, Michelle Obama said she was “a little overwhelmed, to say the least.”

“Amy, I want to thank you for so spectacularly capturing the grace and beauty and intelligence and charm and hotness of the woman I love,” President Obama later said.

Sherald’s figures are often depicted on the grayscale, a method, she told the Baltimore Sun, that serves to “subversively comment about race without feeling as though I’m excluding the viewer.” According to the Times, the grey “signals their awareness of the obstacles to their full participation in American life.”
The Obamas often encouraged art by contemporary black artists during their time in the White House.

“I am in awe of Kahinde’s gifts, and what he and Amy have given to this country, and to the world,” Obama said. “And we are both very grateful to have been the subject of their attention.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-nwXMh3B0&feature=youtu.be

More via http://mandynews.com/2018/02/12/nigerias-kehinde-wiley-paints-obamas-official-portrait-photos/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Mandynews(f): 8:12pm On Feb 12, 2018

1 Share

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Flexherbal(m): 8:17pm On Feb 12, 2018
A job well done !

2 Likes

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by ettybaba(m): 8:31pm On Feb 12, 2018
Buhari's portrait will be drawn with blood.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by PresidentBuBu: 10:37pm On Feb 12, 2018
As some people come to spoil this thread with the usual name calling, claiming and braggadacio, hope they remember that this is a gay man and was abandoned by his Nigerian father at a young age....
The artist is ver talented I must say!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by baby124: 5:16am On Feb 13, 2018
His father is Nigerian. He did not grow up with his father or grow up in Nigeria. Stop claiming he’s a Nigerian abeg.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by nairalanduseles: 5:16am On Feb 13, 2018
misplaced priority why he no paint our presido Burhari
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by fiercehillz(m): 5:18am On Feb 13, 2018
Great piece of art...kehinde got skills

1 Like

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by KingsleyCEO: 5:19am On Feb 13, 2018
If he ever paints Bubu, he will get the insult of his life.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by fSociety: 5:22am On Feb 13, 2018
He is not nigerian
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by GloriaNino: 5:24am On Feb 13, 2018
Lol
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by EarthXmetahuman: 5:24am On Feb 13, 2018
Of course he has to be Yoruba.

Most creative tribe in the world.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by olahero(m): 5:24am On Feb 13, 2018
Mtcheww, iranu
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by seXytOhbAd(m): 5:25am On Feb 13, 2018
God bless all Nigerians making us proud Regardless of tribe or religion. Amen.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by GloriaNino: 5:25am On Feb 13, 2018
Clap for ya sef angry
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by AntiWailer: 5:27am On Feb 13, 2018
Nice work
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by pol23: 5:33am On Feb 13, 2018
Nigerians are better people.
I just don't know who our leaders are...
Probably from Uganda.
I'm sure Okorocha and Buhari are descendants of Idiami.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by elitejosef: 5:33am On Feb 13, 2018
When will they paint Buhari going to daura?

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by ipobarecriminals: 5:38am On Feb 13, 2018
cool Good one Afonja pikin.We dnt developed like those jew immigrants/ land grabbers from poto.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by ribbit: 5:43am On Feb 13, 2018
baby124:
His father is Nigerian. He did not grow up with his father or grow up in Nigeria. Stop claiming he’s a Nigerian abeg.
he inheritted his creativity from being a Yoruba / Nigerian

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Burgerlomo: 5:52am On Feb 13, 2018
Good job
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by FSU: 5:57am On Feb 13, 2018
Just fact cheking the OP. Michele's potrait was not painted by Kehinde. It was by a female AA artist, Amy Sherald.

www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/culture/2018/2/12/17003956/obama-portraits-official-barack-michelle-kehinde-wiley-amy-sherald
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by FRESHG(m): 6:02am On Feb 13, 2018
IT SHALL NEVER BE WELL WITH THAT GAY CALLED OBUMA. FOR IMPOSING HIS FELLOW ISLAMIC JIHADIST ON NIGERIANS, HE SHALL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.

1 Like

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Nobody: 6:02am On Feb 13, 2018
baby124:

You are contradicting yourself all in a bid to make sense.

You too re-read what you just typed Mungo park

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by pyyxxaro: 6:03am On Feb 13, 2018
Seun this your moderator quick resume work oh

You sure say e bath come work soooo undecided grin

3 Likes

Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Aldebaran(m): 6:03am On Feb 13, 2018
Nice painting
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Nobody: 6:04am On Feb 13, 2018
Honestly, Barack's portrait it's not done to me but Mitchell's portrait is beautiful and classy.
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by vioment: 6:04am On Feb 13, 2018
Good work there brother.
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by anibirelawal(m): 6:07am On Feb 13, 2018
ettybaba:
Buhari's portrait will be drawn with blood.

You are too Mean.
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by Knight27681: 6:07am On Feb 13, 2018
good art work!
Re: Kehinde Wiley Paints Obama’s Official Portrait (Photos) by coldsummer: 6:08am On Feb 13, 2018
This is a horrible painting for a museum

Yikes

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chinwe Chukwuogo-roy 68th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Famous Cartoon Characters / A Nairalander's Amazing 5mp Mobile Photograhy Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.