Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. - TV/Movies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. (68645 Views)

Football Shows That Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s, '80s & 1990s / 50 Detective Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s / 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 5:10pm On Feb 18, 2018
Hizzojay:
I didn't see Inspector Gadget on the list as well (it was one of my Saturday favorites)

Inspector Gadget wasn't shown on Nigerian TV until the 1990s (although it was popular at video rental clubs in the 1980s).

LTV started showing Inspector Gadget in 1990 or 1991 as part of their Saturday morning collaboration with Clapperboard. Clapperboard Raps was also in that time belt.

Remember that Clapperboard had time belts on LTV in 1990, 91 and 1992 before it became a separate TV station in 1994.

2 Likes

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Proudlyngwa(m): 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2018
Hizzojay:
I didn't see Inspector Gadget on the list as well (it was one of my Saturday favorites)

Or The adventures of TinTin
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Redman44(m): 5:24pm On Feb 18, 2018
This is the Vehicle Voltron which was shown on some Nigerian TV Stations for a short while but was not popular with Nigerian kids in the 80's.

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by julioralph(m): 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
naptu2:

1) Ovid Video was first shown on Nigerian TV around 1990 or 1991.

2) Thundersub is in the list.
Okay then.
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Ishilove: 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
naptu2:

Inspector Gadget wasn't shown on Nigerian TV until the 1990s (although it was popular at video rental clubs in the 1980s).

LTV started showing Inspector Gadget in 1990 or 1991 as part of their Saturday morning collaboration with Clapperboard. Clapperboard Raps was also in that time belt.

Remember that Clapperboard had time belts on LTV in 1990, 91 and 1992 before it became a separate TV station in 1994.
Where on earth did Clapperboard disappear to?
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Ishilove: 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2018
Redman44:
This is the Vehicle Voltron which was shown on some Nigerian TV Stations for a short while but was not popular with Nigerian kids in the 80's.

What do you think?
I vaguely remember this show. I don't think it penetrated the Nigerian market like the Lions Voltron

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 5:58pm On Feb 18, 2018
Redman44:

What do you think?

Ishilove:

I vaguely remember this show. I don't think it penetrated the Nigerian market like the Lions Voltron

I remember both of them very well.

Voltron, like most of these types of cartoons (Battle of the Planets, Thundersub, etc) was adapted from Japanese cartoons.

The first season of Voltron (Defender of the Universe/the lions) was adapted from a Japanese cartoon called Beast King/ Go Lion. The other seasons of Voltron (Vehicle Team) were adapted from another Japanese cartoon called Armoured Fleet.

The first season of Voltron (the lions) was shown on the NTA from 1986/1987 till the late 1990s. The vehicle Voltron was shown on LTV in the early 1990s.

The vehicle Voltron appeared on Megas XLR in the early 2000s.

And these are 4 cartoons that are very similar.

Battle of the Planets → Voltron (lions)→Voltron (vehicles) → Megas XLR.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Ishilove: 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2018
naptu2:

Voltron, like most of these types of cartoons (Battle of the Planets, Thundersub, etc) was adapted from Japanese cartoons.

The first season of Voltron (Defender of the Universe/the lions) was adapted from a Japanese cartoon called Beast King/ Go Lion. The other seasons of Voltron (Vehicle Team) were adapted from another Japanese cartoon called Armoured Fleet.

The first season of Voltron (the lions) was shown on the NTA from 1986/1987 till the late 1990s. The vehicle Voltron was shown on LTV in the early 1990s.

Ancient of years grin

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2018
naptu2:

The first season of Voltron (the lions) was shown on the NTA from 1986/1987. The vehicle Voltron was shown on LTV in the early 1990s.

Battle of the Planets - Voltron (lions) - Voltron (vehicles) - Megas XLR.

Exactly.

G force too was adapted from another Japanese cartoon too. Speed racer was originally Japanese too.

One thing about Japanese cartoons.. people get killed. In them. Like thundersub for example. Even Golion too.. the Japanese version, not the English adaptation.
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by staggerman(m): 6:07pm On Feb 18, 2018
Where is Duck Tales?

I enjoyed these cartoons esp
Super Ted
Voltron
Spider-Man
Duck tales
The thing
Dog wonder
Pinky and the brain
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Redman44(m): 6:08pm On Feb 18, 2018
naptu2:

The Vehicle Voltron was not really popular in Nigeria and other countries in Africa and Europe. It had too many Space Pilots manning the vehicles and forming Voltron. There was no space for Character development unlike in Votron, The Defender of The Universe ( Lion Voltron ) in which we somehow knew the stories and background of Princess Allura, Sven, Pidge, Prince Lotor etc.

Yes, Japan was the original producer of most of the Anime we watched during our childhood. The Americans adapted the Japanese Cartoons, westernized them and added some sub plots and dished them to us. The original Votron Lions 'Go Lion' episodes were very violent. The Americans had to remove some scenes.

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Redman44(m): 6:12pm On Feb 18, 2018
Thundersub was originally a Japanese Anime titled 'Yamato, The Submarine'. You can watch Yamato on Youtube too and you will see that Thundersub was an adaptation from Yamato smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by GavelSlam: 6:21pm On Feb 18, 2018
Where's Godzilla?
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 6:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
Ishilove:

Where on earth did Clapperboard disappear to?

Clapperboard was owned by Toyin Munis (who also had other investments in the entertainment scene in the 1980s and, if I remember correctly, who also managed Lekki Beach in the mid-1980s).

They started off with time slots on LTV (just as Silverbird also had time slots on NTA 2 Channel 5 in the '80s and '90s and how DBN worked with NTA to produce and promote sports events in the 1980s).

Clabberboard showed cartoons like Count Duckula and Inspector Gadget on Saturday mornings on LTV and they also had Clapperboard Raps, their own version of Yo MTV Raps, which was co-produced with Obi Asika.

Clapperboard raps gave new young talent a platform to showcase themselves before the public as they freestyled while Jimmy Jatt played the music. Obi Asika said that a very young 2Face appeared on Clapperboard Raps in 1991.

Clapperboard got a TV license in 1992 and they started transmitting in 1994. They were the first private TV station in Lagos (MBI was the first private TV station in Nigeria, but they were based in Obosi at the time).

However Clapperboard went off air a few years later and Toyin Munis sold the station. It became SuperScreen Television c2001.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
Redman44:
Thundersub was originally a Japanese Anime titled 'Yamato, The Submarine'. You can watch Yamato on Youtube too and you will see that Thundersub was an adaptation from Yamato smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Yamato and Thundersub are two different shows.

The creator of Thundersub did work on Yamato though.

Yamato English dub is also called starblazers

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 6:28pm On Feb 18, 2018
GavelSlam:
Where's Godzilla?

It's on the list.
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by GavelSlam: 6:41pm On Feb 18, 2018
naptu2:

It's on the list.

Ok.
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by ameh99: 6:45pm On Feb 18, 2018
I watched Voltron then on black n white TV, those days you could never identify which lion is which everything were just in black N" white...

Funny sweet old days grin

2 Likes

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by GMbuharii: 7:18pm On Feb 18, 2018
Who remembers and yaff watched A4onjaSophisticatedConeheads?

grin

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by GMbuharii: 7:27pm On Feb 18, 2018
Op,didnt watch most of those 'toons buh i remember voltron,battle of the planet,inspector gadget,speed racer...i remember clue club as well..wha'bout Sports Billy and Justiceleague and Dorgeon Warriors?

GavelSlam:
Where's Godzilla?

all these sai baba zBs do not read,just check pictures,thassall! As big as Godzilla is u nor see am buh if na small Kanu,u know A to Z grin grin

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by sammugbes(m): 9:48pm On Feb 18, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
This Naptu2 self, always making someone feel old.
There was this old Nigerian cartoon, albiet more like a drawing, can you remember the name.

You also forgot one of my favorites.

TOP CAT
your head dey there
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by yom2(m): 11:55pm On Feb 18, 2018
Benz4pimp:
Anyone with the name of this cartoon!!!2k recharge card if you can guess right
that cartoon is d most boring for me. I quickly change d station
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by DSDLIVEREPORT: 1:33am On Feb 19, 2018
nerodenero:
The open and close television with that coloured nylon to make it looks like coloured television, all these sweet cartoons don't start until 4pm every weekdays. Sweet memories!
Old lucozade bottle yellow wrapper was the best. On our street only 4 houses had the TV.when we bought beta max vcr our house turn to silver bird for street.memories really

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by iukpe: 2:23am On Feb 19, 2018
OP, you left out shazzan. "ho ho ho ho young masters!"

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by connkg(m): 5:01am On Feb 19, 2018
naptu2:

Clapperboard was owned by Toyin Munis (who also had other investments in the entertainment scene in the 1980s and, if I remember correctly, who also managed Lekki Beach in the mid-1980s).

They started off with time slots on LTV (just as Silverbird also had time slots on NTA 2 Channel 5 in the '80s and '90s and how DBN worked with NTA to produce and promote sports events in the 1980s).

Clabberboard showed cartoons like Count Duckula and Inspector Gadget on Saturday mornings on LTV and they also had Clapperboard Raps, their own version of Yo MTV Raps, which was co-produced with Obi Asika.

Clapperboard raps gave new young talent a platform to showcase themselves before the public as they freestyled while Jimmy Jatt played the music. Obi Asika said that a very young 2Face appeared on Clapperboard Raps in 1991.

Clapperboard got a TV license in 1992 and they started transmitting in 1994. They were the first private TV station in Lagos (MBI was the first private TV station in Nigeria, but they were based in Obosi at the time).

However Clapperboard went off air a few years later and Toyin Munis sold the station. It became SuperScreen Television c2001.

Minaj?
Like someone mentioned, most of these cartoons were Lagos-based. National NTA only showed about 30% of your list, in my opinion.
Minaj (Anambra) brought "Victor and Hugo", NTA 6 Aba was cardboard, NTA 10 Port Harcourt was also cardboard.

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 5:27am On Feb 19, 2018
connkg:

Minaj?
Like someone mentioned, most of these cartoons were Lagos-based. National NTA only showed about 30% of your list, in my opinion.
Minaj (Anambra) brought "Victor and Hugo", NTA 6 Aba was cardboard, NTA 10 Port Harcourt was also cardboard.

I was simply answering her question, "What happened to Clapperboard?". None of those stations had any impact on my list because there were no private stations in the 1970s and 1980s. Victor and Hugo, Minaj, etc were in the 1990s.
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 5:29am On Feb 19, 2018
I knew that there was something that I forgot, something that was similar to the Banana Splits theme.

Animal Kwackers was shown in the early and mid 1980s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRlA3GazQM

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Ayiibobo(m): 9:06am On Feb 19, 2018
Super Ted,spiderman and pinkpanther were my favourites,.....I done old sha
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 19, 2018
lsoul:
embarassed these thread bring back old memories chai
I can remember I watched
Danger mouse
Scoby doo
Godzilla‎
Muppet show
Fraggle rock
Muppet babies
Sesame street
Spider man
Voltron
Battle of planet ( G-force)
Superted
Pigeon street
Atom ant
Mighty mouse
The chuckle hound, ( two dumb black n yellow dog)
Birdman 
Secret squirel
Bertha, ( Bertha lovely Bertha, your a loving machine)
Jaber saw

I can see remember some cartoons but can't remember their names which are not here.
one I think is therasus or so, can't get the spelling, @ the end of the cartoon they play one X an 0 game. I think one character name is zero or so

another of I can remember is jimbo. Jimbo is abt plane‎

‎

Bros , I hope you are married.LOLZZZZZ

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by akmaldini(m): 9:57am On Feb 20, 2018
Spot Billy
Thundercats
Banana Man
Captain Planet
Magic school bus
Goddies show (don't know am correct)
Top cat
Casper (the friendly ghost)
Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds
Mole and his friends
Bright Sparks
The little prince
Wayne head
Freakazoid
Ghost buster
Richie Richie
The Little Wizards
Dennis the menace
Pocahontas
Felix the cat

Seriously, have lost count....
Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 10:11am On Feb 20, 2018
akmaldini:
Spot Billy
Thundercats
Banana Man
Captain Planet
Magic school bus
Goddies show (don't know am correct)
Top cat
Casper (the friendly ghost)
Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds
Mole and his friends
Bright Sparks
The little prince
Wayne head
Freakazoid
Ghost buster
Richie Richie
The Little Wizards
Dennis the menace
Pocahontas
Felix the cat

Seriously, have lost count....

90% of the cartoons in your list were not shown on Nigerian TV in the 1970s and '80s.

1 Like

Re: 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by akmaldini(m): 12:48pm On Feb 20, 2018
Are you kidding me,do your research

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Multichoice Increases Prices Of GOtv, DStv Packages / BBNaija: Meet The 2019 Big Brother Naija Housemates / BBNaija : Mercy And Tacha Fight, Gets Physical (Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.