Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:06 AM

Stuttering - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stuttering (370 Views)

This sudden Stuttering Problem is making me depressed / Why's There's No Permanent Cure For Stuttering? (stammering) / Stammering Vs Stuttering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stuttering by adokhai(m): 8:31pm On Feb 18, 2018
How to cope with it
A situation were someone is stuck with words, i.e unable to fully complete a word fluently. Such is the case with some 60 million people world wide, 1 in 100 people stutter. They are often ridiculed and discriminated against, and can even be viewed as less intelligent because they substitute troublesome words with simpler ones that they can articulate.

Do you know the cause?
Some people believe it is cause by evil spirit, which needs to be exorcised. In the middle Ages, the tongue was considered the culprit, the solution used then was hot irons and spices. However, in later centuries surgeons cut the nerves and muscles of the tongue and even performed tonsillectomies to cure stuttering. But those harsh method all failed to meet their objective.Modern research suggests that stuttering may have several contributing factors rather than single cause. One factor may be a person's response to stress. Another may be genetics, for about 60 percent of people who stutter have relative with the same problem. Moreover, research using neuroimaging suggests that stutterer's brain processes languages differently according to Dr. Nathan in his book "Understanding Stuttering''
The major cause may not necessarily be psychological, as was once believed. This means stuttering is not affected by belief, and stutterers can't be ''psyched'' into fluency'' says the book 'No miracle cures.' People who stutter may, however, develop psychological problems as a result of their condition. For instance, they may fear certain situations, such as speaking in public or on he telephone.

Help for Those Who Stutter
Surprisingly, stutterers usually sing, whisper, talk to themselves or their pets, speak in chorus, or impersonate others with little or no stuttering. Moreover, 80 percent of children who stutter recover spontaneously . But what about the remaining 20 percent.
Today there are speech therapy programs that can improve fluency. some techniques involve relaxing the jaw, lips and tongue and breathing from the diaphragm. Patients may also taught to do ''gentle onsets'' which involve taking smaller breath from the diaphragm and releasing a little air as a lead in to speaking. Additionally, they may be encouraged to prolong vowels and certain consonants. The rate speech is gradually increased as fluency improves.

Be Realistic
According to speech pathologist Robert Quesal who himself stutters, perfect fluency under all circumstances is not realistic goal for most sufferers. Rafael, mentioned at the onset, has not been able to overcome the disorder completely, although his fluency has improved. He says ''My problem becomes more evident when i have to read or speak before the public of when I am in the company of someone of the opposite sex who is attractive. I used o be quite self conscious because people made fun of me. Lately, though, I have tried to accept myself as I am and not take myself too seriously. So now when a word cause me to stutter, I may laugh, but then I try relax and go on''

How can You help Someone Who Stutters
Provide a relaxed, unhurried environment
Instead of telling the stutterer to slow down, set example by speaking more slowly yourself. Listen patiently. Do not interrupt. Do not finish sentences for him. Pause be replying.
Avoid criticism and correction. By appropriate eye contact, facial expression, body language, and comments, show interest in what he says, not how he says it.
Stuttering should not be a taboo subject. A friendly smile and an occasional kind acknowledgement of the problem can put the one who stutters more at ease.
Above all, convey your acceptance of him as he is.

https://steemit.com/health/@adokhai/stuttering

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Top 5 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Tooth Pain / Decay / Traninng! How To Treat Urself. / World Glaucoma Week: Obaseki Advocates Multi-Stakeholder Collaboration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.