Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Nigeria Female Football Thread - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female Football Thread (2021 Views)

Iran In Trouble For Fielding Men In A Female football Competition(photo) / Nigeria Female Footballers (off-pitch Photos) / Azizat Oshoala The New Face Of Nigerian Female Football. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 8:29am On Apr 23, 2010
[size=14pt]This is the thread for our female football development both home and abroad. cool[/size]
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 8:31am On Apr 23, 2010
Falconets draw England, Japan for World Cup

Falconets will start their campaign at the 2010 FIFA U-20 Women World Cup on July 14 in Augsburg with an exciting fixture against England, after the draws for the competition were decided at Dresden Castle in Germany yesterday.

The national U-20 women side, who have appeared in all previous four editions of the competition, will meet Japan in their second game three days later in Augsburg before playing Mexico in the third group match on July 21 in the city of Bochum. The two top teams from each of the four groups will qualify for the quarter finals of the competition.

Falconets will be representing Africa alongside Ghana who has been drawn in group D alongside two women football heavyweights USA and Korea Republic while Switzerland completes the group.

After crashing out as the bottom placed team in the maiden edition of the competition in Canada way back 2002, Nigeria has finished the last three editions reaching the quarter finals. The Falconets were sent packing by Germany in the 2004 edition decided in Thailand after a penalty shoot-out session while the duo of Brazil and France knocked our U-20 women out in the last two editions in Russia 2006 and Chile 2008.

2006 recap

The opening game of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup reminisces the first fixture of the 2006 FIFA World Cup GermanyTM as the hosts take on Costa Rica. The 2010 U-20 women tournament which takes place between 13 July and 1 August will take place at the four host cities- Augsburg, Bielefeld, Bochum and Dresden.

Following the draw, former German international defender, Steffi Jones said: “You can hear and feel the enthusiasm and euphoria. The guests can look forward to four great host cities and you should be aware that the U-20 girls play world class football.” Whereas Der Kaiser, Franz Beckenbauer, Chairman of the Organising Committee for the FIFA U-20 and U-17 Women’s World Cups, added: “The U-20 Women’s World Cup in Chile was a very successful World Cup. I am pretty sure that Germany 2010 will be as successful as the one in Chile two years ago.”

The draw was presided over by Tatjana Haenni, FIFA’s Head of Women’s competitions, and carried out by six high-profile players from the world of women’s football, Yuki Nagasato (Japan), Carol Carioca (Brazil), Adjoa Bayor (Ghana), Alexandra Krieger, Marie-Louise Bagehorn and Dzsenifer Marozsan (all Germany).

The 2010 Women’s U-20 World Cup draws

Group A: Germany (hosts), Costa Rica, Colombia and France

Group B: Brazil, Korea DPR, Sweden, New Zealand

Group C: England, Nigeria, Mexico, Japan

Group D: USA, Ghana, Switzerland, Korea Republic

http://234next.com//csp/cms/sites/Next/Sport/Football/5558742-147/falconets_draw_england_japan_for_world.csp
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by honeric01(m): 10:02am On Apr 23, 2010
Nice job black revo, the Falconets will surely take this, japan and Mexico are nothing when it comes to female football.
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 12:14pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

Nice job black revo, the Falconets will surely take this, japan and Mexico are nothing when it comes to female football.

Thanks and i am happy for this draw as well, we should qualify without any problems we just need to be watchful against England and Japan.

Here is the other groupings, so what do you think are the chances for ghana? i feel they might be out already but i hope they perform anyway.

The teams were drawn into the following groups:

Group A: Germany (hosts), Costa Rica, Colombia and France

Group B: Brazil, Korea DPR, Sweden, New Zealand

Group C: England, Nigeria, Mexico, Japan

Group D: USA, Ghana, Switzerland, Korea Republic
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by honeric01(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
Ahhh!!!! Ghana is surely out because USA and the Koreans are heavy weights in female football, watch out for 5 : 0 margins grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 12:26pm On Apr 23, 2010
honeric01:

Ahhh!!!! Ghana is surely out because USA and the Koreans  are heavy weights in female football, watch out for 5 : 0 margins  grin grin grin

They might be the surprise of the tournament lol, alot has happened to our female football since chile 2008. I hope the two teams perform and please check this link below. Seems this Fifa is racist or how hard is it for them to locate us on the MAP .

http://www.fifa.com/u20womensworldcup/teams/index.html
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by honeric01(m): 1:24pm On Apr 24, 2010
why did you say FIFA is racist?
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 2:01pm On Apr 24, 2010
honeric01:

why did you say FIFA is racist?

Just highlighting the fact in that link above where they didn't include the flag of ghana and nigeria on the map.
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by honeric01(m): 2:12pm On Apr 24, 2010
Nah, i think the fault is from your PC, not from the site, i saw the flags.
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 8:20pm On May 02, 2010
honeric01:

Nah, i think the fault is from your PC, not from the site, i saw the flags.

Ha i see okay, i guess this my flash player is at it again, hmm see me see south africa oooo.
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 8:40pm On May 02, 2010
South Africa have officially lodged a protest against Nigeria on allegations of fielding over-age players during the Under-17 World Cup qualifier at Opperheimer Stadium on Saturday.

South Africa warned the Nigerians against fielding over-age players in the first leg, after losing 5-0, but they came back to to honour the second leg game against Bantwana on Saturday with the same squad.

The country’s Under-17 ladies team lost 7-1 on aggregate against their counterparts after losing 2-1 at Opperheimer Stadium on Saturday.

Bantwana manager, Fran Hilton Smith has confirmed the protest.

“Yes I can officially confirm that we have lodged a protest against four Nigerian players who we believe are over-age and were not supposed to play in the Under-17 tournament.

“We have submitted the necessary documents and paid the protest fee and are waiting for CAF to respond on the matter.”
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by BlackRevo: 8:46pm On May 02, 2010
Nigeria’s Under-17 women’s team beat South Africa 2-1 on Saturday afternoon to qualify for the 2nd FIFA Uunder-17 Women’s World Cup 7-1 on aggregate.

The Flamingoes, 5-0 winners in the first leg of the final round qualifying fixture in Abeokuta two weeks ago, upstaged their hosts 2-1 inside the James Motlatsi Stadium in Klerksdorp on Saturday afternoon.

Charity Adule and Ugochi Oparanozie, who hit four of the five goals in the first leg, scored for the Flamingoes, who were also at the inaugural championship of the competition in New Zealand two years ago.

Bantwana did manage to find a goal, but it proved scant consolation as it is the Nigerians who will be on their way to Trinidad and Tobago in September.
Re: Nigeria Female Football Thread by Pharoh: 11:21pm On Jun 14, 2011
Precious Dede to lead Nigeria at Women’s World Cup
Nigeria gear up for Women's World Cup challenge as NFF release list of Falcons to take on hosts in Group A

Goalkeeper Precious Dede, a 31 year-old veteran from the 2003 and 2007 Fifa World Cup final tournaments, tops the list of players that will represent Nigeria at the Fifa Women’s World Cup in Germany this month.

The list also includes at least seven players who have seen Fifa World Cup action in the past.

The Nigeria Football Federation submitted to world governing body, FIFA, the list of 21 players who will fly the country’s flag at the 6th Fifa Women’s World Cup finals ans will challenge the hosts, Canada and France in Group A.

Coach Eucharia Uche picked three goalkeepers, six defenders, six midfielders and six strikers in a squad with a mixture of experience and youth.

Dede, defenders Faith Ikidi, Onome Ebi and Ulunma Jerome, midfielders Ogonna Chukwudi and Perpetua Nkwocha, and forward Stella Mbachu formed part of the squad at the last tournament in China in 2007.

The Falcons have been training in Saalfelden, Austria since May 26, and they will play the National Women’s team of Slovakia at the Eugendorf Stadium on Thursday.

Since setting up camp in Saalfelden, the Falcons have walloped an Austrian first division team, Wacker Innsbruck 7-0, defeated the Czech Republic 1-0 and drew 1-1 with Austria in friendly matches.

Full Squad

Goalkeepers: Precious Dede, Tochukwu Oluehi, Alaba Jonathan

Defenders: Helen Ukaonu, Faith Ikidi, Onome Ebi, Osinachi Ohale, Ulunma Jerome, Josephine Chukwunonye

Midfielders: Rebecca Kalu, Glory Iroka, Rita Chikwelu, Ebere Orji, Ogonna Chukwudi, Perpetua Nkwocha

Strikers: Stella Mbachu, Francisca Ordega, Desire Oparanozie, Sarah Michael, Uchechi Sunday, Amenze Aighewi

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1656/nigeria/2011/06/14/2532159/precious-dede-to-lead-nigeria-at-womens-world-cup

(1) (Reply)

Afcon 2013: My Prediction For Nigeria National Team / How To Participate In The PSG Academy Talent Hunt / All The Latest Transfer News And Talks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.