Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,566 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

Should I Accept This 25K Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Accept This 25K Job? (2993 Views)

Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! / Would You Accept This Gtb Offer / Which Offer Should I Accept? Kpmg Or Pwc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Accept This 25K Job? by MikOdunewu: 1:54am On Mar 07, 2007
I got an offer from a yet to be establish processing company.Though,the MD was quite satisfied with my presentation during my interview but i was not not impress with the start up salary.He decided to offer me with #25,000,because of being a fresh graduate,what should i do,pls,help out!
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by MikOdunewu: 1:56am On Mar 07, 2007
I got an offer from a yet to be establish processing company.Though,the MD was quite satisfied with my presentation during my interview but i was not not impress with the start up salary.He decided to offer me with #25,000,because of  being a fresh graduate,what should i do,pls,help out!
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by domwas2(m): 1:12pm On Mar 07, 2007
Hi MikOdunewu,
I guess it not all about the money but the opportunities that revolves round the work, I started with 10 thousand naira a month with many opportunities around me;
Free self contain, DSTV, 24 hours computer with satalite, free food in the fridge and a couple of hours to further my education
All because they are all white from s/africa establish their company in Nigeria
For now things had changed i'm receiving a good salary now, they cant do without me because i suffered with them from the start. and remember i gain alots from them.

If you received a work and the money is not gonno favour you,its better you have a seat and tick out what u can benefit from the company b4 accepting such a proposal.
I think that could help in any way.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by innocee: 1:24pm On Mar 07, 2007
u a on ur own.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:12pm On Mar 07, 2007
What position is it? have you got any experience? when will you have a review of your salary? Are you still living with your parents grin
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Elizabeth(f): 2:25pm On Mar 07, 2007
Innocee if u don't have anything to say,u better keep ur mouth shut. Anyway mikodunewu go for it and from there something else can happen.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by anon101(f): 2:28pm On Mar 07, 2007
sweet heart half loaf is better than none so is a word enough for the wise
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by bunmii(f): 2:39pm On Mar 07, 2007
take the job & while on the job, look for another betterpaying job
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Icon(m): 2:40pm On Mar 07, 2007
Try and negotiate for a higher pay. If you're not successful, I want you to weigh your options. While having a job might make it easier to move to another job, it may also hinder you because then, you'll have to take permission from your boss when you want to attend other interviews during working hours.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by mufikings(m): 2:45pm On Mar 07, 2007
Odunewu !! Odunewu!! Odunewu !!! How many times I call u ?? Look my dear if you see the light ahead,go for it,if not re evaluate your 'options.

The bottom line is that you have to start some were, I started work with just 28k,now am manager earning u know grin.

Please my dear give it a short and pray on God to guide you.

Remember experince will help for future opportunity,its important to make some at least at the end of every month.

Remain blessed.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by tunmininu(f): 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2007
My dear,u are better than some other of ur colleagues who wander about day and night wishing they the type of urs.PLS,i will urge u to take the offer whole heartedly.of course,they won't pay u that forever and keep sourcing for other jobs till u get a better offer.

GOOD LUCK.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Blow(m): 3:47pm On Mar 07, 2007
Do you have a better alternative

If no. Take the job.

Start looking for a higher paid job immediately.

But put in your best at the present work.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by canachy(m): 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2007
Money is like a butterfly: the more you case it, the more it flies away from you; but just let it be and it comes back to you.

You mentioned that you are a fresh graduate. You know what, the best thing for you at this time is work to learn; don't work for money. You will be amazed at the outcome cos it surely will bring money back to you and you would then have money work for you. Sounds so simple. right? it's quite a dificult task to take but what needs to be done, needs to be done.

Alternatively, if you feel you have great skills and can make it as an enterpreneur, then turn down any job offer no matter the pay. I think that is the best option, but only the tough can survive the ups and downs. Where is the capital to start with? you may ask: I tell you what, that cannot stop you.

Ever which way, build your capacity for the challenges ahead either by working for somebody or for yourself.

success
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by senetee(m): 4:57pm On Mar 07, 2007
Guy,  go for it.
    Firstly, would you rather sit at home doing nothing ?
    Secondly, EXPERIENCE is something you do not pick up in the bathroom, living room or anywhere in your compound.

In my case, i started with a job that could not take me home and even at that job i was almost cheated on some allowances(change) by my former employer.

However, in a year, without even applying for my current job, i was noticed and recommended and within two weeks i was holding a new letter of appointment after a test and two interviews.

My last words are
 DO THE JOB WELL, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN, INTERACT WITH AND IMPRESS PEOPLE AND AN EMPLOYER NEEDING YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE WILL POACH YOU.

All the best.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 07, 2007
@mik odunewu, se na obasanjo born you? is not about the money is about what you like, about what you want to do. think about it, are you the only one who went for the interview? if they hire you instead of others that really need the job, it will be a dissappointment if you ignore the company like that. and if those people finds out that the reason why they do not hire them  just came there to play with the job the need. omo den go curse oh. and trust me, some the big company you wanna go work with need people with experience and u said you are a fresh graduate. start from no-where and i came promise you that you will end up some-where
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Shagari2(m): 9:58pm On Mar 07, 2007
I worked for free for a whole yr, all in the name of 'gaining experience', it paid off!

Go for it dude. wink
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by FactorChic(f): 1:01am On Mar 08, 2007
u're fresh, inexperienced, what do u expect, some ppl will even offer u lower than that!
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by nigeria1: 2:00am On Mar 08, 2007
domwas2 let us talk, i need you to do something for me, i would pay for it, N200,000, or anyone who needs the money,
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by LAGATA(m): 10:58am On Mar 08, 2007
Delay is dangerous my guy
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by diyobdw(f): 12:41pm On Mar 08, 2007
Should accept i would say
YES if:
[list]
[li]There is room to learn profitable skills and grow a career( like on the job skills and experience)[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]they are forward looking and[b] not[/b] just another "wanna be biz people" that would change thier focus in no time[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]your transportation & feeding is less than 55% of the pay.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]there would be a clear( not coded- formal document) on when or how to earn a raise.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]formal training opportunities or other form of benefit.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]IT can boast you chances of getting something better.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

NO if It is opposite of any mentioned above .
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by agnesoseka: 1:15pm On Mar 08, 2007
weigh it, besides,if u dont rily have anytin doin now, i guess there's no harm in doin it, u'll rather get more xperience.
take care.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by funmeme(f): 3:41pm On Mar 08, 2007
MY DEAR IF U KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR U,U WILL TAKE IT BUT IF U HAVE A BETTER OFFER THEN U CAN LEAVE. WHERE I WORK RIGHT NOW THEY OFFER SOMEBODY JUST DAT AMOUNT BUT OUR M.D TOLD US THAT IT'S JUST TO TEST HIM 4 TWO MONTHS & SEE IF HE CAN COPE THEN HIS SALARY WILL BE INCREASE 2 NORMAL GRADUATE SALARY.I WISH I CAN TELL HIM BUT IT'S CONFIDENTIAL SO UR CASE MAY BE LIKE THAT JUST TO TEST IF ALL UR AIM IS MONEY.BE CAREFUL ,PRAY ABOUT IT GOD WILL LEAD U.SMILEEEEEEEEEEEEE kiss
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by caringchi(f): 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2007
1st of all, i thank d people dat ve contributed so far
my dear, i advice dat u take d job n also work wit them diligently, put in ur best as if pay is 100% ok. but be lookin out 4 something better cos ur next employer might need 2 contact them b4 taking u
good luuuuuuuuuck
cheers!!!!!!!!!
GOD IS IN CONTROL
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by OhGrey(m): 8:17pm On Mar 08, 2007
I think you should take it, My job in Shell Naija was like that too. I started with 25k, it was a contract job. By the end of three months when that contract was about to expire I got another contract with 'em much better too. Now am no longer with them but things just kept on getting better. Up until now I still call on the experiences at that first job, besides the friends and the contacts I made then I still kept. Everyone know that it not easy in Naija. It is better to be meaningfully engaged that to be walking the streets. U could even be lucky and find some1 to be hitching a ride to work with everyday.
The Truth is that once you start things can always get better, the biggest problem is always starting.

And don't 4get to tell us how it works out for you.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Tornadoz(m): 9:01pm On Mar 08, 2007
I agree with most of the posters, the general advice people have given you is to take this opportunity as this would give you an invaluable insight into how business works. Use this as a stepping stone, you need this for your CV or Resume. Good luck
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Elia(f): 9:29pm On Mar 08, 2007
Yeah, i think u should take the job. It is a stepping stone. I wouldnt mind that at least to gain experience and add to my cv.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by tushbobo(m): 9:45am On Mar 09, 2007
You should know that being in motion is far easier than starting up.Once you have a job(no matter how ridiculous it seems) u can build on that due to the experience u have gained.
Bottom line- Start up with the job and u ll discover it will serve as a stepping stone to greater heights, all the best.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by mrceaser: 2:56pm On Mar 09, 2007
Hi there, I will advice you to look at the pros and cons and then grab the job. its little by little that you will grow. A lot of people look for high paying jobs that end up confusing them. I have taken time to look at my daily life as a banker and it could be of help to you. Read my thots on the job @ www.bankerslife..com
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by tightbut(m): 4:36pm On Mar 09, 2007
life is a chancy adventure uve got to grab it
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by dremoney(m): 5:35pm On Mar 09, 2007
@d houzmates
really im highly impressed wit the postings so far.really encouraging.
meaning we have great and wonderful minds in d houz.

@ d topic
bro,i strongly advise u take d job n perhaps u neva can tell wat fate has 4 u ahead.
point is ,u ave to get started.
whicheva way it goes,u need experience and some interraction wit pple.
be optimistic and kip ur dreams alive.

No be how far man,its gonna be measured by how well ur able to organise ur life at d end of the day.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by Kayus99(m): 10:16pm On Mar 09, 2007
take the job and prove yourself, if you ar a star you will be renegotiating in 6 months. But at the same time continue to look for other better paying.
Re: Should I Accept This 25K Job? by kellorah: 8:37pm On Mar 10, 2007
half bread is better than none
in 9ja, jobs are hard to come by and u shd grab every possible opportunity.
by God's grace, u'll b promoted and u'll get ur salary increased.

but then again it depends on ur post,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salary Scale For NERC / Winresist / Career Development At Sijison Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.