Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,346 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 (2209 Views)

The Life & Times Of Desmond Tutu - Dead At 90 (Pictures) / Billy Graham Dies At 99 / Evangelist Billy Graham Dies At 99 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by mcfranc(m): 2:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
The Rev. Billy Graham, whose sermons were broadcast in churches around the country, has died, a spokesman confirmed to CBS News. He was 99.

In the summer of 2005, Graham preached at what he called his "Final Crusade."

Graham said: "Deep inside we need something else. And that something else can be brought about by Jesus."

"When I touch the podium, I can feel a new strength and a new power come and it's a thrilling thing for me to preach the gospel at this age," Graham said.

The three-day event in New York City was the culmination of a lifetime of evangelism -- seven decades of spreading the gospel to more than 200 million people in 185 countries around the world.

Graham once said: "Jesus Christ, the son of God, has an answer to every problem that you face!"

Raised in the fundamentalist faith of his native North Carolina, Graham dedicated his life to Christ when he was 16, and was ordained a Baptist minister in 1939. He created his own brand of populist evangelism. His "crusades," as he called them, were soon attracting millions in person and later through television.

"We are United, and are ready to march under the banner of Almighty God, taking as our slogan that which we have on our coins, 'In God We Trust,'" Graham once said.

Source - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/billy-graham-preacher-who-rose-to-prominence-dead-at-99
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by noblealuu: 2:36pm On Feb 21, 2018
shocked. Rest in the bosom of the Lord Almighty. Almost hit 100 years.

Only be remembered by what you have done.

1 Like

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Nobody: 2:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
Billy Graham was a modern day example of the New testament Faith. Unlike them private jet gang that feels 150million net Worth is small despite being in a poor underdeveloped nation and having no job apart from pulpit-climbing.

Billy preached in front of approx 250million people in the course of his ministry, convincing the that the way to God was through grace in Jesus Christ and not by work, tithe, or political affiliation...

Something deep within tell's me Mr. Billy had seen Jesus today. Rest in peace pa,
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 21, 2018
Rest in our Lord's bossom Bro Billy.

1 Like

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 3:26pm On Feb 21, 2018
I your lieutenant salutes you my General. Tell Jesus I will join Him too after I must have finished my own race. Fare thee well and enjoy your rest.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Eggcelent(m): 3:27pm On Feb 21, 2018
A Long Life Well Spent.

His Life & Ministry Touched Many

He Was A Success

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by godliman: 3:28pm On Feb 21, 2018
To every thing there is truly a time and a season Billy fell asleep in Jesus, he shall rest from all his labour.

1 Like

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Martinez19(m): 3:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
A life wasted peddling falsehood grin.

2 Likes

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by agwom(m): 4:05pm On Feb 21, 2018
May his soul rest in peace...great, lovely mentor!cry cry cry cry cry

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 4:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
Martinez19:
A life wasted peddling falsehood grin.

Your life is being wasted fighting a God you see as imaginary and does not exist so can I also say from my perspective that your life is wasted peddling falsehood. grin
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Martinez19(m): 4:14pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Your life is being wasted fighting a God you see as imaginary and does not exist so can I also say from my perspective that your life is wasted peddling falsehood. grin
leave me na, wetin I do you grin
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 4:17pm On Feb 21, 2018
Martinez19:
leave me na, wetin I do you grin

Wasted life who is only known by a virtual moniker with no achievement or fame to his name yet you sit there to criticise a man who has impacted world presidents for good with his purpose and real identity. Yet you claim he is peddling falsehood? The joke is on you wasted martinez19.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by plaetton: 4:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
givan:
Billy Graham was a modern day example of the New testament Faith. Unlike them private jet gang that feels 150million net Worth is small despite being in a poor underdeveloped nation and having no job apart from pulpit-climbing.

Billy preached in front of approx 250million people in the course of his ministry, convincing the that the way to God was through grace in Jesus Christ and not by work, tithe, or political affiliation...

Something deep within tell's me Mr. Billy had seen Jesus today. Rest in peace pa,

Bullshyt.

Billy Graham was surely one of the pioneers and the embodiment of Faith For Profit , mercantilist or commercialized christianity.
Simple proof of that is that he died stupendously wealthy, wealthy from milking faith .

His children, just like any family run business , are lucratively employed in his commercial ministry and have automatically inherited the fortunes of his church empire.

So, kindly do not insult us with that Billy Graham holier than other crap.

There is a special place in hell( I imagine) for those exploit Faith for profit.

1 Like

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Martinez19(m): 4:21pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Wasted life who is only known by a virtual moniker with no achievement or fame to his name yet you sit there to criticise a man who has impacted world presidents for good with his purpose and real identity. Yet you claim he is peddling falsehood? The joke is on you wasted martinez19.
What do you have to your name? Besides, not everyone will be remembered.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 4:28pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:

Bullshyt.

Billy Graham was surely one of the pioneers and the embodiment of Faith For Profit , mercantilist or commercialized christianity.
Simple proof of that is that he died stupendously wealthy, wealthy from milking faith .

His children, just like any family run business , are lucratively employed in his commercial ministry and have automatically inherited the fortunes of his church empire.

There is a special place in hell( I imagine) for those exploit Faith for profit.

Kindly take your bullshyt somewhere else. His biography says you lie. This is an extract from his biography.

Thus, Graham helped bind together a vulnerable nation through religious revival. By glazing over the finer details of Christianity and focusing on more moderate doctrines, Graham made evangelism enticing, non-threatening, even easy—and the media made his messages accessible to the masses.

Another reporter from USA Today writes, "He was the evangelist who did not rip off millions (Jim Bakker) or run with prostitutes (Jimmy Swaggart) or build a megachurch (Joel Osteen) or run for president (Pat Robertson) or run a Christian political lobby (Jerry Falwell)."
Graham's integrity has encouraged millions to heed his spiritual guidance, including Martin Luther King, Jr., Bono, Muhammad Ali and United States presidents from Eisenhower to Bush. He has been rated by the Gallup organization as "One of the Ten Most Admired Men in the World" a staggering 51 times. He is regarded by contemporaries as humorous, non-judgmental, sincere, innocent and accepting

You can read the rest here

https://www.biography.com/.amp/people/billy-graham-9317669

Now that you know you lied. Show us your truths about yourself.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 4:28pm On Feb 21, 2018
Martinez19:
What do you have to your name? Besides, not everyone will be remembered.

Especially you.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Martinez19(m): 4:29pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Especially you.
Even you.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 4:33pm On Feb 21, 2018
Martinez19:
Even you.

Indeed! At least I am not like you who peddles falsehood about a God he claims does not exist. That's like 2 lies in one.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by plaetton: 4:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Kindly take your bullshyt somewhere else. His biography says you lie. This is an extract from his biography.

You can read the rest here

https://www.biography.com/.amp/people/billy-graham-9317669

Now that you know you lied. Show us your truths about yourself.

Lol.

His biography ? shocked
You're kidding me , right ? undecided

Like you expected his biography to tell us that he , just like many before him and after him ran a global faith scam that netted great wealth to him and his family ?
Like we expected Hitler's biography to have told us that he was such an evil man ?

C'mon ! undecided

Perhaps you need to reread my post. What you posted from his so-called biography does not contradict or refute my points.

Did he pioneer and commercialize faith for profit , Yes or No ?
Did he and his family grow very wealthy from his faith business , yes or no ?
Did his children automatically inherit his successful and very lucrative commercial faith enterprise ( aka ministry ) , yes or no ?
undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by greatcrown: 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2018
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

He will be greatly missed!
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by LaudableXX: 4:59pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:
I your lieutenant salutes you my General. Tell Jesus I will join Him too after I must have finished my own race. Fare thee well and enjoy your rest.
greatcrown:
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

He will be greatly missed!
noblealuu:
shocked. Rest in the bosom of the Lord Almighty. Almost hit 100 years.

Only be remembered by what you have done.
givan:

Billy Graham touched lives, loved God, led souls to the Lord, worked tirelessly in God's vineyard and gave his best to the propagation of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. May we all receive the grace to do the same, so that Jesus Himself can say: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant," to each of us, just as he has said to Rev. Billy Graham. Can I get an Amen from somebody??
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 5:02pm On Feb 21, 2018
LaudableXX:

Billy Graham touched lives, loved God, led souls to the Lord, worked tirelessly in God's vineyard and gave his best to the propagation of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. May we all receive the grace to do the same, so that Jesus Himself can say: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant," to each of us, just as he has said to Rev. Billy Graham. Can I get an Amen from somebody??

Amen!

1 Like

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by LaudableXX: 5:08pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:
Amen!

cc; lalasticlala, please put this whole thread on front page.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by toye440: 5:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
Billy Graham is dead but his legacy speaks for itself. Right here on earth we belief he got dat word " Welcome home thou good and faithful servant". How many preachers in this country would go blemish without someone pointing at misappropriation of tithes and offerings.
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 5:14pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:

Lol.

His biography ? shocked
You're kidding me , right ? undecided

Like you expected his biography to tell us that he , just like many before him and after him ran a global faith scam that netted great wealth to him and his family ?
Like we expected Hitler's biography to have told us that he was such an evil man ?

C'mon ! undecided

Perhaps you need to reread my post. What you posted from his so-called biography does not contradict or refute my points.

Did he pioneer and commercialize faith for profit , Yes or No ?
Did he and his family grow very wealthy from his faith business , yes or no ?
Did his children automatically inherit his successful and very lucrative commercial faith enterprise ( aka ministry ) , yes or no ?
undecided undecided

I guess you did not read well or you read but suffered blindness at certain points.

I guess you did not see the same biography take a swipe at other ministers of the gospel. If he messed about I am sure his biography which serves as a chronicle of his life would NOT leave out that part would it? Let me post the part you obviously went blind when you were reading it.

Another reporter from USA Today writes, "He was the evangelist who did not rip off millions (Jim Bakker) or run with prostitutes (Jimmy Swaggart) or build a megachurch (Joel Osteen) or run for president (Pat Robertson) or run a Christian political lobby (Jerry Falwell)."

He did not run a faith "business". He preached the gospel when it mattered the most to a people who really really needed it and of course the propagation of the gospel doesnt run on water for fuel but as demands and outreach numbers grow so do the Financial demands required to meet this growth.

He simply grew side by side with his mandate and was blessed alongside it as long as it showed in the increased work and outreach then it was not for profit as it were but based on demand.

He is said to have reached an estimated audience of 250million worldwide in 99 years of his life and 79 years in ministry and based on calculations that would be an average of 3.1 million people preached to every year. That requires money. Money for tracts, television coverage, Bible distribution, personal Crusades and visitations, etc.

Regarding his family who are so few when compared to the 250million or so he personally affected then imagine if each of those 250million people decide to graciously bless him from their heart with 1 dollar each. That would be 250 million dollars which he never solicited for but was given as a free will donation to his cause would you blame him for leaving some for his children and their welfare which even you would do for your own kids?

You speak bullshyte.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by toye440: 5:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:

Bullshyt.

okponu freeze
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by plaetton: 5:47pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I guess you did not read well or you read but suffered blindness at certain points.

I guess you did not see the same biography take a swipe at other ministers of the gospel. If he messed about I am sure his biography which serves as a chronicle of his life would NOT leave out that part would it? Let me post the part you obviously went blind when you were reading it.

He did not run a faith "business". He preached the gospel when it mattered the most to a people who really really needed it and of course the propagation of the gospel doesnt run on water for fuel but as demands and outreach numbers grow so do the Financial demands required to meet this growth.

He simply grew side by side with his mandate and was blessed alongside it as long as it showed in the increased work and outreach then it was not for profit as it were but based on demand.

He is said to have reached an estimated audience of 250million worldwide in 99 years of his life and 79 years in ministry and based on calculations that would be an average of 3.1 million people preached to every year. That requires money. Money for tracts, television coverage, Bible distribution, personal Crusades and visitations, etc.

Regarding his family who are so few when compared to the 250million or so he personally affected then imagine if each of those 250million people decide to graciously bless him from their heart with 1 dollar each. That would be 250 million dollars which he never solicited for but was given as a free will donation to his cause would you blame him for leaving some for his children and their welfare which even you would do for your own kids?

You speak bullshyte.

My friend, you still don't seem to get it.
You're pretending or simply too blind by your faith, to see my point.

It's silly to say that he did not run a faith scam simply because there were no scandals attached to his name during his church business career.
He was simply smarter, more disciplined and had more self-control than the rest. I will definitely give him credit for that.

Again, that he supposedly reached 250m people or 1 billion people with his message(faith scam) does not in anyway exonerate him from the fact that He ran a faith for profit enterprise.

Now, If you think that people and their families should grow stupendously rich peddling faith, well that's your opinion. Many people, including Christians, would disagree with you.

1 Like

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by butterflyl1on: 5:52pm On Feb 21, 2018
plaetton:

My friend, you still don't seem to get it.
You're pretending or simply too blind by your faith, to see my point.

It's silly to say that he did not run a faith scam simply because there were no scandals attached to his name during his church business career.
He was simply smarter, more disciplined and had more self-control than the rest. I will definitely give him credit for that.

Again, that he supposedly reached 250m people or 1 billion people with his message(faith scam) does not in anyway exonerate him from the fact that He ran a faith for profit enterprise.

Now, I you think that people and their families should grow stupendously rich peddling faith, well that's your opinion. Many people, including Christians, would disagree with you.

And I repeat for the sake of purging your corrupted mind that he did not run a "faith for profit" enterprise as your corrupted mind would want to see it.

Calling faith a scam shows how corrupted your mind is and how you wish to peddle your falsehood here. He preached the simple doctrine and message of JOHN 3:16 and was loved for this.

As an evangelist his focus was on Jesus and how Jesus was the answer to any problem anyone had. Simplistic yet powerful.

Keep on lying to yourself. Perhaps if you did so long enough it would become true.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by plaetton: 6:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
butterflyl1on:

And I repeat for the sake of purging your corrupted mind that he did not run a "faith for profit" enterprise as your corrupted mind would want to see it.

Calling faith a scam shows how corrupted your mind is and how you wish to peddle your falsehood here. He preached the simple doctrine and message of JOHN 3:16 and was loved for this.

As an evangelist his focus was on Jesus and how Jesus was the answer to any problem anyone had. Simplistic yet powerful.

Keep on lying to yourself. Perhaps if you did so long enough it would become true.

I just can't stop laughing .
grin grin grin
butterflyl1on:

Yes, he did.

If you run an enterprise whereby you make money, much more money than you invest, by peddling something, a tangible product or an abstract ideas , be it faith, snake oil, holy hankerchief, holy water, books that promote your products or ideas, then , by simple logic, you are running a for-profit enterprise.
If you agree, you're a freemarket business person.

If you give away all or the far greater percentage of your profits for public benefit, then you are CHARITY.

If you keep all or a far majority of the profits for yourself and enlarge the financial fortunes of your family and children, then you are a bona fide tycoon. Again, that is encouraged in the freemaket system.

However, if you refuse to be called tycoon , and refuse to aknowledge that you are running a family business enterprise, pretending that you are doing some work for some invisible god that public are somehow incapable of doing, then you are obviously running a bona fide scam.

That you are runninga more organized and more sophisticated, scandal-free scam does not in any way exonerate you from being a scammer.

Simple.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by DeeMarh(f): 6:12pm On Feb 21, 2018
Amen
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by HegenIkomkeh(m): 7:00pm On Feb 21, 2018
A General in God's army,friend of presidents. Rest on Billy Graham!
Re: Billy Graham, Renowned TV Evangelist, Dead At 99 by Nobody: 7:39pm On Feb 21, 2018
givan:

"Graham over time amassed a reported net worth of $25 million."

Where did he get the wealth from?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Convincing Proof That God (the Creator Of The Universe) Does Not Exist? / Proof Of The Existence Of God / Straying From The Buddhist Path — Why He Stopped Following Buddha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.