Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,646 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. (13840 Views)

You plan to complete Qur'an in a certain period of time?See how it is divided. / How To Pay A Missed Solat When Menstruation Stops? / Who Is/are Your Favourite Muslim Scholar(s) Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Rashduct4luv(m): 5:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
Assalam alaikum

This is a short article on how to complete Salah (prayer) as a latecomer. However, we should always hurry up to the mosque (for males) to start the Salah with the congregation. We pray Allaah accept our acts of worship and pardon us our shortcomings!

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (7/322):

Question: I would like to know more about how a latecomer should pray:

1- If the imam has already prayed one or two rak’ahs of Maghrib

2- If the imam has already prayed one or two rak’ahs of a four-rak’ah prayer.

What should he recite? Should he recite al-Faatihah only or another soorah as well?

Answer:

Whatever the latecomer catches up with of the prayer with his imam is regarded as the first part of his prayer. So whoever catches up with one rak’ah of Maghrib, that is regarded as being the first part of his prayer. So he should stand up after the imam says the salaam and make up what he missed. In the first rak’ah he makes up he should recite al-Faatihah and another soorah or verses, because it is the second rak’ah for him. Then he should sit and recite the first tashahhud. Then when he stands up to make up the remaining rak’ah of Maghrib he should recite al-Faatihah only, because it is the third rak’ah for him. Then he should sit and recite the final tashahhud. If what he missed of Maghrib was one rak’ah, and he caught up with two rak’ahs with the imam, then he should recite al-Faatihah only in the last rak’ah that he makes up after the imam says the salaam, because it is the third rak’ah for him.

If it is a four-rak’ah prayer and he catches up with three or two rak’ahs with the imam, then he should recite al-Faatihah only in the one or two rak’ahs that he makes up, because that is the latter part of the prayer for him, so he does not have to recite another soorah as well as al-Faatihah. This is the correct scholarly view. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas.

And Allaah knows best.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by iamgenius(m): 7:14am On Feb 22, 2018
JazaakaLlahu Khayran brother. People still make this mistake

4 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Nobody: 9:47am On Feb 23, 2018
Allahu Akbar, Allah is the greatest

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Philistine(m): 9:48am On Feb 23, 2018
Good one

1 Like

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by aminu790(m): 9:52am On Feb 23, 2018
Allaah knows best.

1 Like

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by ajumma(m): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2018
Jazakallahu khair

1 Like

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by chillychill(f): 9:57am On Feb 23, 2018
iamgenius:
JazaakaLlahu Khayran brother. People still make this mistake

People like me (sometimes) cry
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Aldebaran(m): 9:59am On Feb 23, 2018
Thanks
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Highbhee(m): 10:00am On Feb 23, 2018
Rashduct4luv:
Assalam alaikum

This is a short article on how to complete Salah (prayer) as a latecomer. However, we should always hurry up to the mosque (for males) to start the Salah with the congregation. We pray Allaah accept our acts of worship and pardon us our shortcomings!

What should he recite? Should he recite al-Faatihah only or another soorah as well?

Answer:

Whatever the latecomer catches up with of the prayer with his imam is regarded as the first part of his prayer. So whoever catches up with one rak’ah of Maghrib, that is regarded as being the first part of his prayer. So he should stand up after the imam says the salaam and make up what he missed. In the first rak’ah he makes up he should recite al-Faatihah and another soorah or verses, because it is the second rak’ah for him. Then he should sit and recite the first tashahhud. Then when he stands up to make up the remaining rak’ah of Maghrib he should recite al-Faatihah only, because it is the third rak’ah for him. Then he should sit and recite the final tashahhud. If what he missed of Maghrib was one rak’ah, and he caught up with two rak’ahs with the imam, then he should recite al-Faatihah only in the last rak’ah that he makes up after the imam says the salaam, because it is the third rak’ah for him.

If it is a four-rak’ah prayer and he catches up with three or two rak’ahs with the imam, then he should recite al-Faatihah only in the one or two rak’ahs that he makes up, because that is the latter part of the prayer for him, so he does not have to recite another soorah as well as al-Faatihah. This is the correct scholarly view. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

And Allaah knows best.

Jazakallahu Khaeran jaza...

Now,what if one meets up with last two rakahs(e.g Ashri)...obviously, Imam recites Fatiha only....

If one will now make the remaining two up,will one recite fatiha only or with another verse/surah

Quote me fr d answer pls

2 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 23, 2018
Jazakalkah biljanna lihazal amal,it is the right usage this platform.

1 Like

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by yusufbida(m): 11:24am On Feb 23, 2018
Highbhee:

Now,what if one meets up with last two rakahs(e.g Ashri)...obviously, Imam recites Fatiha only....

If one will now make the remaining two up,will one recite fatiha only or with another verse/surah

Quote me fr d answer pls

The last two rakahs you meet with the imam stands as your first two rakahs for you,

To make up the remaining two rakahs you are to recite fatiha only

Allahu Allam

7 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by umar745(m): 11:57am On Feb 23, 2018
It turns out I've been doing it all wrong. Thank you very much for this.

2 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by kpukpuyenke: 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2018
yusufbida:

The last two rakahs you meet with the imam stands as your first two rakahs for you,

To make up the remaining two rakahs you are to recite fatiha only

Allahu Allam

thanks.

Have been making the mistake all this while.

Jazakallahu

3 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by ganstar89: 12:43pm On Feb 23, 2018
Pls if after amblution a dog touches some one cloth with her body not mouth ooo can the person go on with the salah or he should do another amblution or he has to change the cloth before he perform salah
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Wagasigiungu(m): 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2018
Rashduct4luv:
Assalam alaikum

Answer:

And Allaah knows best.

Masha Allah. Alhamdulillah. Jazakallahu khayran for this piece. Really informative and very well explained. Fridays on NL are days to really look forward to because you will definitely read something worthwhile on the front page. Allah ya sa mu dace, amin thumma amin.

2 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Fkforyou(m): 2:19pm On Feb 23, 2018
Wow...!!

I've been getting it wrong all this while, May Allah guide us onto the right path.
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Rashduct4luv(m): 2:48pm On Feb 23, 2018
Highbhee:

Quote me fr d answer pls
Wa antum fajazaak Allaahu khayran.

It is just the same ruling .i.e. the first two you prayed is your first two rakahs. Then you pray the last two rakahs with only fatiha just as we pray our last two rakah of Asri. This is in line with the hadith below:

It was narrated that ‘Ata’ said: Abu Hurayrah said: In every prayer there is recitation. What we heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, we tell you, and what he did not tell us about we cannot tell you. Whoever recites Umm al-Kitaab (i.e., Soorat al-Faatihah) has done enough, and whoever does more than that, that is better.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 738; Muslim, 396.

This means reading Fatiha is compulsory in prayer and no prayer without Fatiha but reading Surah after Fatiha is not compulsory!

And Allaah knows best

2 Likes

Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Fundamentalist: 3:08pm On Feb 23, 2018
When you say reciting fatiha is compulsory in all prayers . Can you expantiate on that, is the imam or the one behind the imam or both at same time . Because this statement is not really clear to me
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Rashduct4luv(m): 3:23pm On Feb 23, 2018
Fundamentalist:
When you say reciting fatiha is compulsory in all prayers . Can you expantiate on that, is the imam or the one behind the imam or both at same time . Because this statement is not really clear to me

There is a difference of opinions on this.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said: The (scholarly) opinions boil down to three: two opposite views and one in the middle. One of the two opposite views is the view that he should not recite behind the imam in any circumstances. The second view is that he should recite behind the imam in all circumstances. The third view, which is the view of the majority of the early generations, is that if he can hear the recitation of the imam, he should listen attentively and not recite.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 23/265

However, i follow based on the evidence below:

It was narrated in a saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recite it (al-Fatiha) in every rak’ah. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari: “It was proven that permission was given to the one who is praying behind an imaam to recite al-Faatihah in prayers in which Qur’aan is to be recited out loud, without any exceptions. That is what was narrated by al-Bukhaari in Juz’ al-Qiraa’ah, and by al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibbaan and others, from Makhool from Mahmood ibn al-Rabee’ from ‘Ubaadah, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stumbled in his recitation in Fajr, and when he finished he said, “Perhaps you recite behind your imaam?” They said, “Yes,” He said, “Do not do that, except for the Opening of the Book (al-Faaithah), for there is no prayer for the one who does not recite it.”

So the Imam and the congregation both recites Fatiha.
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Bobulopsy(m): 4:19pm On Feb 23, 2018
Rashduct4luv:
Assalam alaikum

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (7/322): Jazakhum Llahu khaeran

Answer:

And Allaah knows best.
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Folabimi(m): 4:46pm On Feb 23, 2018
[quote author=Bobulopsy post=65313549][/quote]
Just to be clear pls, in maghrib, if I miss two rakats, does that mean I should perform the first rakat loudly with fatiha and any other surah and the second rakat silently with fatiha only?
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Fundamentalist: 5:21pm On Feb 23, 2018
Rashduct4luv:

There is a difference of opinions on this.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said: The (scholarly) opinions boil down to three: two opposite views and one in the middle. One of the two opposite views is the view that he should not recite behind the imam in any circumstances. The second view is that he should recite behind the imam in all circumstances. The third view, which is the view of the majority of the early generations, is that if he can hear the recitation of the imam, he should listen attentively and not recite.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 23/265

However, i follow based on the evidence below:

It was narrated in a saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to recite it (al-Fatiha) in every rak’ah. Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari: “It was proven that permission was given to the one who is praying behind an imaam to recite al-Faatihah in prayers in which Qur’aan is to be recited out loud, without any exceptions. That is what was narrated by al-Bukhaari in Juz’ al-Qiraa’ah, and by al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Hibbaan and others, from Makhool from Mahmood ibn al-Rabee’ from ‘Ubaadah, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stumbled in his recitation in Fajr, and when he finished he said, “Perhaps you recite behind your imaam?” They said, “Yes,” He said, “Do not do that, except for the Opening of the Book (al-Faaithah), for there is no prayer for the one who does not recite it.”

So the Imam and the congregation both recites Fatiha .

I didn't ask for your personal opinion neither did I asked for what you follow sad

Even if I respect your opinion which I didn't ask for , does that mean that those who remain silent when the imam is reciting aloud have invalid prayers ?

Please choose your next words carefully
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Yomiwayne80(m): 5:37pm On Feb 23, 2018
Folabimi:

Just to be clear pls, in maghrib, if I miss two rakats, does that mean I should perform the first rakat loudly with fatiha and any other surah and the second rakat silently with fatiha only?

From the explanation...... If you missed 2 Rakahs in maghrib..... It means you caught up with the last Rakah with the Imam.... This last Rakah will now be your First Rakah. Remaining second and Third Rakah of your maghrib.

So perform the second Rakah as you would do on your second maghrib rakah. And likewise the third rakah as you would do on your normal maghrib third rakah.
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Bimpe29: 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
Jazakallahu khair
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:15pm On Feb 23, 2018
Yomiwayne80:

From the explanation...... If you missed 2 Rakahs in maghrib..... It means you caught up with the last Rakah with the Imam.... This last Rakah will now be your First Rakah. Remaining second and Third Rakah of your maghrib.

So perform the second Rakah as you would do on your second maghrib rakah. And likewise the third rakah as you would do on your normal maghrib third rakah.

Correct!
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Rashduct4luv(m): 10:16pm On Feb 23, 2018
Folabimi:

Exactly!
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Aseco(m): 2:13am On Feb 24, 2018
Rashduct4luv:
Assalam alaikum

Answer:

And Allaah knows best.
nid a serious Muslimah for serious relationship in other not to fall into victim of sinaa
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:56am On Feb 24, 2018
Fundamentalist:

I didn't ask for your personal opinion neither did I asked for what you follow sad
But i think you saw the evidence there is Sahih or you think my opinion was just my personal opinion? If it was just my opinion i wont bring evidence for you.

Fundamentalist:
Even if I respect your opinion which I didn't ask for , does that mean that those who remain silent when the imam is reciting aloud have invalid prayers ?

Please choose your next words carefully

I don't think i need to choose my words carefully! White is white and black is black! There are only two sides to a coin; head or tail.

If a person does not recite al-Faatihah following the opinion of a scholar who says that it is not obligatory, or he does not do so because he is unaware that it is obligatory, there is no blame on him and his prayer is valid.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) said: If he does not recite it – i.e., al-Faatihah – because he thought that it was only required of one who is praying on his own or the imam, or because he was unaware of the shar‘i ruling, then his prayer is valid, because he did not deliberately do something that Allah has forbidden or omit something that Allah has made obligatory; rather he did not do it either on the basis of what he thought was correct or out of ignorance of the shar‘i ruling. So in this case his prayer is valid. But in the case of one who was aware of the shar‘i ruling and believed that it was obligatory upon him, but he omitted it deliberately, this renders his prayer invalid, because he went against what he believed and he went against what he knew to be the truth.

End quote from Fataawa Noor ‘ala ad-Darb, 12/344

Based on that, they do not have to make up the past prayers, because they were valid.

And Allah knows best.
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Fundamentalist: 9:26am On Feb 24, 2018
So are you telling me there is no evidence for those who don't recite while the imam is reciting aloud

Just answer yes or no
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Fundamentalist: 9:36am On Feb 24, 2018
Al-A'raf 7:204

وَإِذَا قُرِئَ ٱلْقُرْءَانُ فَٱسْتَمِعُوا لَهُۥ وَأَنصِتُوا لَعَلَّكُمْ تُرْحَمُونَ

So when the Qur'an is recited, then listen to it and pay attention that you may receive mercy.

"The imam is there to be followed , so when says takbeer , say takbeer and when he recites be silent - ibn shaibah (1/97/1), Abu dawwod, Muslim, Abu awaanah .

" He who has an imam, then the recitation of the imam is a recitation for him" - ibn abi shaiba (1/91/1) , ibn majah, tahaawi, and Ahmad .

All the above are sahih hadeeth including a verse of the Qur'an where did you place them when you were giving fatwa embarassed embarassed
Re: How To Complete Missed Rakah(s) Of A Prayer. by Fundamentalist: 9:45am On Feb 24, 2018
" He finished prayer in which he was reciting loudly and said : were any of you reciting with me just now ? A man said yes , I was , o messenger of Allah . He said , I say why am I contended with ? ( the narrator of the hadeeth Abu hurrairah said ): so the people stopped reciting with the messenger of Allah (saw) when he was reciting aloud after hearing that from " - muwatta maalik , Abu dawwod , Ahmad and tirmidh . tirmidh declared it hasan.

Before you start posting fatwas here you should know your onions, how can you call non recitation behind the imam in loud prayers ignorance because your fatwa sheikh said so . How do you intend to explain the above verse of the Qur'an, the hadeeth I quoted are they also ignorance to ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Congregetional Dua After Salat, Good Or Bad / What Is The Difference? / Noise Pollution, Loudspeakers and the Neighbor

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.