Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products (4011 Views)

Over 50% Certificates Of Imported Pharmaceutical Products Fake — NAFDAC / Anambra Bans Advertisement Of Herbal Medicine / List Of Pharmaceutical Companies Owned By Yoruba Billionaires-x (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Nkemakonam62: 6:27am On Feb 22, 2018
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has cautioned the media over the advertisement of pharmaceutical products without confirmation from the agency.

The Director General of the agency, Prof. Christianah Mojisola Adeyeye disclosed this at a press briefing, while its arraigned suspected drug peddlers over sales and distribution of falsified pharmaceutical product in Lagos state.

She said, one of the media outfits had consistently advertised a listed herbal aphrodisiac medicine (Libigal and univasur herbal capsule) manufactured by Kolaq Herbs Limited, Ogun state, upon which, after investigation, it was discovered that the listing approval of the product had expired in October 2006.

She noted that the company was sanctioned in 2016 and has refused to comply with the agency’s regulation.

According to her, the revenue of registered companies whose drugs are being falsified is compromised, impacting the economy negatively.
“These drugs have negative impact on the health of the takers or consumers and have caused the death of many Nigerians and newborns,” she said.

The Director General, however, urged the media to desist from illegal advertisement of products not confirmed by the agency, as it is against the Food and Drug Act.

Speaking on drug hawkers in the state, the Director for Investigation and Enforcement, Kingsley Ejiofor said the agency has intensified effort at ridding the country of the menace of drug hawking by partnering with the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) to drive awareness on the harmful effect of the drugs to every car park, which is part of the agency’s mandate to safeguard the health of the people.

http://www.akelicious.com/2018/02/nafdac-cautions-media-against-illegal.html

1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by afbstrategies: 6:55am On Feb 22, 2018
ok
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Nobody: 6:55am On Feb 22, 2018
angry

See who's talking please!!.... Who let the drugs into the country first??

The same NAFDAC that has lost credibility and turn a blind eye to all substandard drugs being imported into the country, just because their palms have been oiled by the importers.. Who's fooling who here?

They should go to the North and curb the illegal sale of drugs and abuse first....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by chriskarex(m): 6:56am On Feb 22, 2018
OK o
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by rottable(m): 6:59am On Feb 22, 2018
That is nice
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Christafarian(m): 7:02am On Feb 22, 2018
Talk of placing the cart before the horse. NAFDAC has not dealt first with the production & sale of illegal drugs; they are talking about advertisement...
...to let us understand that they working, or that they still exist? Don't seem to understand.

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by 2fine2fast(m): 7:02am On Feb 22, 2018
pinnket:
angry

The same NAFDAC that has lost credibility and turn a blind eye to all substandard drugs being imported into the country, just because their palms have been oiled by the importers.. Who's fooling who here?

They should go to the North and curb the illegal sale of drugs and abuse first....

The specific example given in the article is a locally manufactured drug. I'm sure you never read the post, you just jumped, wrote jargons, just for cheap likes.

5 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by ironheart(m): 7:03am On Feb 22, 2018
I think the present administration is letting some of these sleeping departments to wake up. Yesterday was SON, Today is NAFDAC
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by bedspread: 7:03am On Feb 22, 2018
Since Late Dora Akuyili left Nafdac, it's become more of a Media House than its main duty

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Nobody: 7:10am On Feb 22, 2018
2fine2fast:

The specific example given in the article is a locally manufactured drug. I'm sure you never read the post, you just jumped, wrote jargons, just for cheap likes.
Mr reader... I'm criticising NAFDAC in general... I'm not talking about home or away goals here...

Use your head sir..

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Curiouscity(m): 7:13am On Feb 22, 2018
In the example NAFDAC gave, they said that the company's approval expired since 2006. Meaning that they approved the product before. In that case, can they still say the product is fake?

I think NAFDAC should always differentiate between unregistered, illegal and fake products. That a product is unregistered doesn't make it fake. And a fake product that is registered is not and can never be genuine. Lots of loopholes in NAFDAC's terminologies.

Also, is it not proper for NAFDAC to have a list of approved products on their site (they used to do that before) so the media houses can cross check rather than call or write to their office?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by sunisonflex29(m): 7:13am On Feb 22, 2018
during Dora's time,you will see nafdac officials paying surprise visits to all this mushroom pharmacies we have here to regulate and do reality check. but now nafdac is noise making advertisement on TV.no spine atoll.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by raftord: 7:18am On Feb 22, 2018
rottable:
That is nice
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by debolayinka(m): 7:23am On Feb 22, 2018
This is why I flee this herbal products. As natural as they are, many are likely to be abused or misused.
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Alejoas(m): 7:24am On Feb 22, 2018
They are so guilty of this!
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by georgeceekay: 7:29am On Feb 22, 2018
pinnket:
angry

did you read the post before commenting?

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Jman06(m): 7:52am On Feb 22, 2018
Not just advertisement! NAFDAC should rise to the challenge of ridding this country of fake and substandard drugs by strictly monitoring the manufacture, importation, distribution down to administration of drugs in this country. A lot is going on wrongly in our drug market and i expect prof Adeyeye to take some drastic measures to remedy this anomaly. I expect regular and unannounced visits to the drug manufacturing industries, hospitals and pharmacies across the nation by NAFDAC to correct the various substandard practices going on there. Paul Orhi destroyed the milestones achieved by late Dora. I expect prof to do better.
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by kabarka(m): 8:26am On Feb 22, 2018
2fine2fast:

The write up said Revenue of registered companies-
Registered companies could be a local manufacturing company or a company not operating in nigeria but has come to take nafdac no.So the guy is still in order.A foreign company's product can be compromised.

But the truth is that nafdac is passing the buck.
Nafdac could not get their acts together,how can you hold a media house responsible for the work you ought to do.

Since prof dora left,nafdac is a shadow onto itself.
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by kabarka(m): 8:39am On Feb 22, 2018
Jman06:
Not just advertisement! NAFDAC should rise to the challenge of ridding this country of fake and substandard drugs by strictly monitoring the manufacture, importation, distribution down to administration of drugs in this country. A lot is going on wrongly in our drug market and i expect prof Adeyeye to take some drastic measures to remedy this anomaly. I expect regular and unannounced visits to the drug manufacturing industries, hospitals and pharmacies across the nation by NAFDAC to correct the various substandard practices going on there. Paul Orhi destroyed the milestones achieved by late Dora. I expect prof to do better.

When prof christianah was announced DG nafdac,I thought the days of dora are back.
But she has not done anything.
Having said that,is pharmaceutical product the only item nafdac regulates?
I dont think nafdac is capable anymore to carryout these responsilities.
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by kabarka(m): 8:43am On Feb 22, 2018
sunisonflex29:
during Dora's time,you will see nafdac officials paying surprise visits to all this mushroom pharmacies we have here to regulate and do reality check. but now nafdac is noise making advertisement on TV.no spine atoll.

Corruption has eaten deep into nafdac.
They cant do their work anymore.

Everytime they talk about pharmaceutical products because those ones settle with big money, what of water industry that was created out of neccesity to empower nigerians.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Jman06(m): 2:22pm On Feb 22, 2018
kabarka:

When prof christianah was announced DG nafdac,I thought the days of dora are back.
But she has not done anything.
Having said that,is pharmaceutical product the only item nafdac regulates?
I dont think nafdac is capable anymore to carryout these responsilities.
Let's just give her some more time to see if she can come up with good plans to make positive impact in NAFDAC.

No, NAFDAC also regulates food items besides pharmaceutical products.
One of the problems the agency faces is the problem of poor funding from the government. Despite being an agency that generates money for government, NAFDAC doesn't get much from government in terms of funds. That is one area that needs to be addressed and i hope prof Christiana would be able to exert the necessary political influence to get the government do the needful as regards funding the agency.
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by kabarka(m): 6:56pm On Feb 22, 2018
Jman06:

One of the problems the agency faces is the problem of poor funding from the government. Despite being an agency that generates money for government, NAFDAC doesn't get much from government in terms of funds.

The agency is run as a political settlement.
The money they generate,where does it go perhaps private pockets.A REVENUE GENERATING AGENCY.The system is rotten.Go to nafdac for products listing and they will nearly eat you up.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by Jman06(m): 7:46pm On Feb 22, 2018
kabarka:

The agency is run as a political settlement.
The money they generate,where does it go perhaps private pockets.A REVENUE GENERATING AGENCY.The system is rotten.Go to nafdac for products listing and they will nearly eat you up.
Yeah, you are right. Those are the problems the new DG is expected to tackle.
Re: NAFDAC Cautions Media Against Illegal Advertisement Of Pharmaceutical Products by sunisonflex29(m): 11:02pm On Feb 22, 2018
kabarka:

Corruption has eaten deep into nafdac.
They cant do their work anymore.

Everytime they talk about pharmaceutical products because those ones settle with big money, what of water industry that was created out of neccesity to empower nigerians.
correct.I work I. a water company, since I have been here,not a single time I have seen nafdac coming here to inspect... everytime its SON that will come..and the once that will come will just come and collect roger,walk around d company for eye service, collect roger and go.am a first hand witness.no one should argue with me.

(1) (Reply)

Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings In Lagos / COVID-19 Update For May 30 2021 In Nigeria / How To Use Miracle Seed For Fertility, Weight Loss And Infection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.