Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

Yoruba Cuisines To Try - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Yoruba Cuisines To Try (21011 Views)

Delicious Nigerian Cuisines By Kaydeli. / Ibibio Cuisines To Try / 6 Mouth-watering European Cuisines To Enjoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by casualobserver1: 3:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
stefanweeks:
Agege Bread and Ewa aganyin

Baddest combo

The original hamburger LOL
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by casualobserver1: 3:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
ycat:
Lazy Op, come and finish what you started oo! Every Yoruba subgroup has its own delicacies, so let me see if I can help out.

Pounded yam and efo elegusi belong to Ondo and Ekiti

Eba, plain Egusi soup, Fufu, Eberipo elewe and Ikokore are Ijebu's

Godo/Eberipo and stew for Remo

Lafu (white amala) Ewedu All Star & Eko, Ofada and Ayamase for Egba

Amala, Ewedu and Gbegiri for Oyo

Sokoyoto, Ila All Star, Eko and Eba for Awori.

Moin Moin, Adalu and the rest for all.

Argh! I'm hungry now!

I appreciate you taking the time to type this out.

Do you know the delicacies of the Yoruba in Kogi and Kwara?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Dindondin(m): 4:12pm On Feb 28, 2018
MayhorE:
Eba is not part of the yoruba's delicacies, and for t number two ill advise you to use AGEGE bread to devour it, very yummy
Is eba an Igbo, Hausa or English name. For your info, Yorubas mastered the cultivation and preparation of cassava (paki) into elubo lafun, amala and eba.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by 9jakool: 4:28pm On Feb 28, 2018
Damoxy:
Any African Food with Snake and Monkey Meat is the best Right now.

You must like ebola...

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ofwest: 5:55pm On Feb 28, 2018
Amala lafun with eweedu elegusi is the Number one.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Alariiwo: 6:52pm On Feb 28, 2018
Ewa aganyin originates from Togo..

The aganyin people from Togo eat mainly beans and they have a unique way of preparing the stew.

I had one aganyin crush back then in sec. schl. Big round backside and they don't wear pants grin
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ibkkk(f): 7:01pm On Feb 28, 2018
omooba969:
1 & 6 anytime anyday. grin

Ibkkk take note...'missing you like an idiot misses the point. kiss

Noted,sweetie wink smiley
Miss you too kiss
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Emilokoiyawon: 7:32pm On Feb 28, 2018
Some1 said EBA is not Yoruba - Even the name is Yoruba not to talk of. Is Eba a Hausa or Ibo name? Unserious people.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by MrRichmond: 7:38pm On Feb 28, 2018
What an awkward time to create such a thread.
When we have been informed in another thread that South West is greatly suffering from stunted growth and malnutrition.

Op bad timing bro

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by omooba969(m): 8:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
ibkkk:

Noted,sweetie wink smiley
Miss you too kiss

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by CloudResident(m): 9:01pm On Feb 28, 2018
Awoofawo:
All folks hawking Ewa Aganyin are from Togo...I actually lived with some...they are nice friendly people.....Sometimes very difficult to know that they are not Yoruba because they blend well with the culture and like I said most bear Yoruba names..... Their girl can be something o, if you get close to them, them go spoil you finish grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You nailed it bro. I remember those ewa aganyin sellers around kakawa, Ita faji in the eighties-Kwele, kodjo, Kominatete et al. I learnt some languages like doji which means fisi (add more) grin.It goes well with sandgrouse bread cheesy
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:07pm On Feb 28, 2018
Dindondin:
Is eba an Igbo, Hausa or English name. For your info, Yorubas mastered the cultivation and preparation of cassava (paki) into elubo lafun, amala and eba.

Emilokoiyawon:
Some1 said EBA is not Yoruba - Even the name is Yoruba not to talk of. Is Eba a Hausa or Ibo name? Unserious people.

This reminds me of an argument I once had with Yorubas here who were claiming Agbada is a native wear that is indigenous to Yorubas just because the name "agbada" is a Yoruba name. When in reality, Sahelian groups across West Africa long wore it for centuries (brought to them by Arab and Berbers) who then brought it to the North of Nigeria before the Hausas and Fulanis brought it to Yoruba land and an agbada has very little distinction with the Hausa babariga.

Cassava has long been cultivated and processed and eaten all across Nigeria for millenia. That the name "eba" is Yoruba doesn't mean it has Yoruba origins. The word "garri" is an Hausa word. It doesn't mean Hausas invented it.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Diademk07: 9:41pm On Feb 28, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

This reminds me of an argument I once had with Yorubas here who were claiming Agbada is a native wear that is indigenous to Yorubas just because the name "agbada" is a Yoruba name. When in reality, Sahelian groups across West Africa long wore it for centuries (brought to them by Arab and Berbers) who then brought it to the North of Nigeria before the Hausas and Fulanis brought it to Yoruba land and an agbada has very little distinction with the Hausa babariga.

Cassava has long been cultivated and processed and eaten all across Nigeria for millenia. That the name "eba" is Yoruba doesn't mean it has Yoruba origins. The word "garri" is an Hausa word. It doesn't mean Hausas invented it.

This one has come up with his nonsense again.
Which of your agbada aint Yoruba? You mean aso oke as called by the egbas, ijebu and ondo folks originated from your a$$? Do I need to remind you that the aforementioned folks had nothing to do with the Northerners nor Islam as at the time they were found wearing aso oke, coined as agbada today?
And yes, Eba is a Yoruba food. You don't even have a name for it in your language.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:49pm On Feb 28, 2018
Diademk07:

This one has come up with his nonsense again.
Which of your agbada aint Yoruba? You mean aso oke as called by the egbas, ijebu and ondo folks originated from your a$$? Do I need to remind you that the aforementioned folks had nothing to do with the Northerners nor Islam as at the time they were found wearing aso oke, coined as agbada today?
And yes, Eba is a Yoruba food. You don't even have a name for it in your language.

Who said anything about the Aso Oke fabric? I was talking about the agbada and you're bringing up something irrelevant.

And no, eba is not a Yoruba food. The same way Garri is an Hausa name, but has no proven origins from Hausa land. Eba is just Garri with hot water. It's a Yoruba name. Same way Egusi (Egwusi) is claimed to be a Yoruba word and some even claim it to be a Yoruba food even though it is more popular among Igbos and there isn't a lick of proof of Yorubas having a longer history of the Egusi. People often erroneously attribute something to a culture just because the etymology of a word may originate from that culture.
And yes, we do have a name for "eba" which is "utara", an old name. By cultural diffusion, Eba has simply evolved as the most common name all across the country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Emilokoiyawon: 11:10pm On Feb 28, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

Eba - as it is known today - is an original Yoruba delicacy. Just because it is now eaten all across the country does not mean it has no original home. Jollof is has Senegalese origin - YET when Nigerians and Ghanaians make noise/beat chest about jollof you would think it originates from them.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:47pm On Feb 28, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

Eba - as it is known today - is an original Yoruba delicacy. Just because it is now eaten all across the country does not mean it has no original home. Jollof is has Senegalese origin - YET when Nigerians and Ghanaians make noise/beat chest about jollof you would think it originates from them.

No, it is not. To cut the argument short, prove it. Is "Garri" too a Yoruba invention, abi is it the hot water added to the garri to make eba that is the Yoruba invention? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Soknown: 4:18am On Mar 01, 2018
ycat:
What about the one that spreads like pumpkin or is it melon leaves? My g-granny used to stir-fried it for me right out of her garden back then when I was little with just oil, pepper dried fish and salt, but still the most delicious veges ever.
I think that should be the Elegede, two ways to make your Elegede, you either cut and parboil it as you would other vegs or stir fry as you mentioned. Thank God someone still remembers the old ways vegs. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by darkhorizon: 7:41am On Mar 01, 2018
Awoofawo:
Ewa aganyin is actually from Togo......Thus most of the Togolese that sold the ewa had link to Yoruba and Yoruba names is very comman among them...some actually claimed Ile Ife as their Origin! grin grin grin grin grin

They are Yorubas also. The most popular Yoruba city there is Atakpame (Atapame).

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Awoofawo(m): 8:27am On Mar 01, 2018
darkhorizon:

They are Yorubas also. The most popular Yoruba city there is Atakpame (Atapame).
I known that already......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Kennyg101: 3:56pm On Mar 01, 2018
BafanaBafana:
Pounded yam, egusi and eba are not yoruba delicacies.

One thing I admire yorubas for is the way they hype everything about themselves.
lol.. Shey na Igbo con get am?
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by MayhorE(m): 8:54am On Mar 02, 2018
Dindondin:

I'm still telling you, eba is not one of ours, iyan lonje okay loogun aisi ra lan jeko(pounded yam is food, yam flour is medicine, if there's no more way then its solid pap)
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Emilokoiyawon: 4:13pm On Mar 02, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

No, it is not. To cut the argument short, prove it. Is "Garri" too a Yoruba invention, abi is it the hot water added to the garri to make eba that is the Yoruba invention? grin

Your stupidity is too big for my patience, sir. grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Dindondin(m): 4:30pm On Mar 02, 2018
MayhorE:

I'm still telling you, eba is not one of ours, iyan lonje okay loogun aisi ra lan jeko(pounded yam is food, yam flour is medicine, if there's no more way then its solid pap)
Why you typing Yoruba language like an amateur?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:21pm On Mar 02, 2018
Emilokoiyawon:

Your stupidity is too big for my patience, sir. grin

grin
Translation: "I thought I could pass off my historical illiteracy as a fact and just got schooled. Let me save face by ad hominem insults to sate my bruised ego". The oldest trick in the book.
You're kindly dismissed from facing my "stupidity".

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by MayhorE(m): 10:29pm On Mar 02, 2018
Dindondin:
Why you typing Yoruba language like an amateur?
The same reason that makes you to be writing incorrect sentence like an illiterate!
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by Dindondin(m): 8:31am On Mar 03, 2018
MayhorE:

The same reason that makes you to be writing incorrect sentence like an illiterate!
you are the illiterate who can't comprehend with Nigerian writing style.
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:43am On Mar 05, 2018
Ok, thanks.
Soknown:
I think that should be the Elegede, two ways to make your Elegede, you either cut and parboil it as you would other vegs or stir fry as you mentioned. Thank God someone still remembers the old ways vegs. Thank you.
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 1:48am On Mar 05, 2018
I know Kwara has ground rice and corn mixed and Gbegiri but don't know of Kogi.
casualobserver1:

I appreciate you taking the time to type this out.

Do you know the delicacies of the Yoruba in Kogi and Kwara?
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 2:01am On Mar 05, 2018
I know. I've seen them call us Amala, when I didn't even eat it growing up. My g-granny was the the only one eating it back then, the woman hated rice and eba, just Amala and Sunday pounded yam despite being full Ijebu. But now Amala (plantain type) is becoming something I have to eat at least once a week.
sokera:
I discover that most Igbo people don’t know this and they think the only food for Yoruba is Amala ...
Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 2:25am On Mar 05, 2018
I didn't even list all. We have Ekuru, what about all the soups I grew up in Ijebu ode but didn't see Apon soup more than once, but when I visited Kano every Yoruba restaurant I went had it on their menu. Our food is better than any food out there. Thanks anyway.
sokera:
you have done a good job ... God bless you ...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by casualobserver1: 4:42am On Mar 05, 2018
ycat:
I know Kwara has ground rice and corn mixed and Gbegiri but don't know of Kogi.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Cuisines To Try by ycat: 4:51pm On Mar 05, 2018
You are welcome!
casualobserver1:

Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peak Milk Launches Peak Milky Pap With 'life Evolves, So Has Pap' Campaign / My Special Fried Rice Recipe With Leek And Celery (pics And Video) / Food Recipes you can't Resist | How to make Korean Beef

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.