Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,708 members, 7,809,690 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? (16685 Views)

Top Black CEOs At Global Corporations And Lessons From Their Careers / Top 20 Nigerian CEOs And The Courses They Studied In School / America’s Top 13 Ceos And The Courses They Studied In School (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 28, 2018
Hey nairalanders, pls i would like to know how CEOs pay themselves be it a big or small businesses or companies, do they place themselves on salary or they just take money from the company's account when ever they want?
pls i need you views, answers and thoughts.

Mods pls help move it to the front page

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Cash/Basic Salaries
These days, CEOs often receive base salaries well over $1 million. In other words, the CEO gets a terrific reward when the company does well. But they still receive the reward when the company does badly. On their own, big base salaries offer little incentive for executives to work harder and make smart decisions.

Bonuses
Be careful about bonuses. In many cases, an annual bonus is nothing more than a base salary in disguise. A CEO with a $1 million salary may also receive a $700,000 bonus. If any of that bonus, say $500,000, does not vary with performance, then the CEO's salary is really $1.5 million.

Bonuses that vary with performance are another matter. CEOs who know they'll be rewarded for performance do tend to perform at a higher level because they have an incentive to work hard.

Performance can be gauged by any number of things, such as profit or revenue growth, return on equity or share price appreciation. But using simple measures to determine appropriate pay for performance can be tricky. Financial metrics and annual share price gains are not always a fair measure of how well an executive is doing his or her job.

Executives can get unfairly penalized for one-time events and tough choices that might hurt performance short term or cause negative reactions from the market. It's up to the board of directors to create a balanced set of measures for judging the CEO's effectiveness. (See also: Evaluating a Company's Management.)

Stock Options
Companies trumpet stock options as one way to link executives' financial interests with shareholders' interests.

But options can also have flaws as compensation. In fact, with options, risk can get badly skewed. When shares go up in value, executives can make a fortune from options. But when they fall, investors lose out while executives are no worse off. Indeed, some companies let executives swap old option shares for new, lower-priced shares when the company's shares fall in value.

Worse still, the incentive to keep the share price motoring upward so that options will stay in the money encourages executives to focus exclusively on the next quarter and ignore shareholders' longer-term interests. Options can even prompt top managers to manipulate the numbers to make sure the short-term targets are met. That hardly reinforces the link between CEOs and shareholders.

Stock Ownership
Academic studies say that common stock ownership is the most important performance driver. CEOs can truly have their interests tied with shareholders when they own shares, not options. Ideally, that involves giving executives bonuses on the condition they use the money to buy shares. Let's face it: Top executives act more like owners when they have a stake in the business.

Read more: A Guide To CEO Compensation | Investopedia https://www.investopedia.com/managing-wealth/guide-ceo-compensation/#ixzz58QD4cWhJ

This FTC is available for lease: I will quote your post up here for the world to see. Pm me to know the price. Lol

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by bercarray(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
I don't know about other companies, but my uncle owns one small firm,when he first started, he employed someone, so at the end of the month, they shared the money with him taking 45% and 35% for the guy,and then the remaining goes to the company as the business grows bigger he placed himself on a salary and the other employees too, and the remaining goes to the company, but he still spend part of the company's money o, and he return it later

27 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
B
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by onilpee: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
space booked
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Jaytecq(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
A good CEO place himself / herself on Salary based.
but if the COY is a virgin one. a smart CEO recycles.

17 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Spiritmask: 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Nice question
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Acidosis(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Good question
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Ayodejioak(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
When you are a CEO (Especially your own boss),

You basically need no further compensation than just that.

The fact that you get to own your OWN firm,

Tell your OWN people how you want to run you OWN things,

And TAILOR your OWN ideas for an implementation is massive enough

That inner joy you get doing these thing is unquantifiable with MONEY.

Try it too, then thank me later!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by MhizAJ(f): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Good question
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Aklion74(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
Wow
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Torosk1(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2018
I need to know too
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Mckandre(m): 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
n
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by DeKen: 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
Most are on salaries. Some simply depend on a % of the profits.
Mind you, some of the CEOs are not owners.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by hollaryincar(m): 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
I av a small business and I pay myself salary

2 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Pussyisfood: 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
CEOs decide how much they want to be paid. Mark Zuckerberg's salary is $1 a year. Warren Buffet's salary is $100,000.00.

Normally people like to register their businesses as corporation because doing so allows you to pay yourself $1 for instance and place the burden of your life as a part of your business expenses. That's just a way of evading tax... Corporations are taxed after all their expenses have been deducted.

When you find someone paying themselves huge sums like $1 million a year for instance, they simply don't care about utilizing that method of evading tax.

So in the end, you will decide how you want to pay yourself. For instance if your business is registered as a corporation, you can list all the bills brought by the car as business expenses, or if you go out and eat with your friends, you can list the cost of the food and other things you acquired at the dinner as part of your business expenses... You can simply pay yourself a regular salary as income from most other business models are seen as personal income. This applies if you are a small or medium business owner or if you are a principal share holder in your company, but if you were employed as a CEO, then you'll have to wait for the board to decide your salary. Hope that makes sense.

Modified: If you are running a small business, you won't see the need for trying to evade tax by running the corporation model of business.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by 2undeee(m): 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
In most cases I have limit for withdrawal if it for my personal expenses
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by edoman2016: 5:37pm On Feb 28, 2018
As a CEO, you place yourself on salary just like the employees. The money in your company account should be strictly for business operations or else you may begin to withdraw from it for private matters.
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by shollyBi(m): 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2018
Intelligent question

2 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2018
salary, allowances and share of profit
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by HeWrites(m): 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2018
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by acesoul(m): 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2018
Most firm place their CEO on salary+allownces
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by SaAbbas(m): 5:39pm On Feb 28, 2018
Spending all the monthly excess
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by room089: 5:40pm On Feb 28, 2018
By Minimum wage
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by dman4mdmoon(m): 5:40pm On Feb 28, 2018
Salary
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by BiafranBushBoy: 5:40pm On Feb 28, 2018
ok

It is one of the terrible mistakes that CEO's commit. That is the reason majority of them remain stagnant despite their success. They eat away their money and believe that profit would keep coming.

They pay employees but fail to pay themselves for the growth of their business...

We discovered this and we brought up a model that would help CEO expand their business within the first three years that the business has stabilized...

If you need to know the model, please contact me via my signature and let's discuss.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by iHart(m): 5:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
undecided
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by dingbang(m): 5:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
The finance team should pay the CEO...

Even the president gets paid salary
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by ibkgab001: 5:43pm On Feb 28, 2018
My company ... my money .. my life

It should be no ones buisness grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by speaktome(m): 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2018
I am on Salary and my wife too grin grin

#MySignatureMyBusiness

Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by Flexherbal(m): 5:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
dingbang:
The finance team should pay the CEO...

Even the president gets paid salary
Re: How Do CEOs Pay Themselves? by profosa: 5:48pm On Feb 28, 2018
CEOs are first of all a staff,so you need an employment letter stating your gross salary and other benefits you may enjoy.so you would be placed on the staff payroll earning monthly salary.

In addition,as a CEO you are also a director of the Company and you are also expected to earn sitting allowances and director''s fee.

Finally the board of directors fixes the emolument of CEO.ensure proper documentation of board resolution on all earnings by the CEO because the taxman may come knocking.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bankers, Others Take Insurance Cover Against Job Losses / I'm In A Critical Situation, Please Advise A Confused Soul. / Alagbon Ayomide, An Eksu Graduate Making A Living From Shoemaking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.