Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

I Acquired Programming Skill But Got Accounting Cert. What Are Career Chances? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Acquired Programming Skill But Got Accounting Cert. What Are Career Chances? (444 Views)

Please Read!!! Do You Have A Digital Skill But You Are Still Broke? / What Are My Chances Of Making It As A Lawyer In Nigeria? / Where Can Someone Learn Programming Skill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Acquired Programming Skill But Got Accounting Cert. What Are Career Chances? by GeneralQuamdeen: 9:50pm On Feb 28, 2018
[I]You can skip to the last paragraph in bold[/I]

I am 22 years old. I have HND in Accounting (although upgrade in progress). I currently work as an Accounting Office with an Indian Owned company in Lagos. I have two years working experience as Account Payables and Account Receivables. I am also part of support team for the Financial Controller of the organization and I am good at what I do.

Since my young age, I have always love the science behind computer, and computer programs. I am fascinated by how those things are created rather than the use of it.

Don't let me bore you with my history. During my stay at home and before my underemployment (pun intended), I decided to empower myself with the knowledge of computer science and its fundamentals.

I took upon a Free Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) organized by Microsoft Learning to empower people with Computer Science Fundamentals.

I passed in "Logic and Computational Thinking" and we were introduced to Python. My skill moved from Self Starter to Apprentice after learning the process of designing and prototyping web applications to solve real problems and Building Interactive Prototypes using JavaScript : Learning how one can use JavaScript, the programming language of the Web, to build interactive webpages. And we also learn the basics of back-end web development with Node.js.

I have been enjoying the course so far. I am eager to increase the level of my skill to Intern as I plan to take on these courses (or I already have): Java Programming, Object Oriented Programming in Java and Algorithms and Data Structures.

Other courses in our curriculum includes; Writing Professional Codes, Fundamentals of how humans and machines interact and learn how to design effective user experiences, Web Accessibility Fundamentals and Developing International Software (Learning how to design and develop software for international use Featuring experts who've helped create some of the world's most successful software)

I have been following this MOOC for about 2 years now and I have been doing pretty well. I will soon embark on my own project soon. The goal of Microsoft Learning is that a student who has completed the Fundamentals curriculum can function in a job environment as an entry-level software developer once the concepts and practice exercises in those courses have been mastered

My target is to finish these courses. I started this course just to get myself engaged in something but now I have started thinking of a career as a Software Developers (Entry Level at least) but I only own an Accounting certificate. What are my chances? Thanks.

Or if anything else I can use to empower myself as an underemployed graduate. Thanks. Your contribution is well appreciated.

(1) (Reply)

"Children Are Burden, The Kill Careers" - Nigerian Mental Health Practioner / Advice For Job Seekers / Famous Barber Who Was Born Without Hands Is Proving That Nothing Is Impossible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.