Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,468 members, 7,812,431 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller (35625 Views)

Road Permits: Traveller Complains Of Having To Get Over 80 From Delta To Anambra / Christmas: No Traveller Will Sleep On River Niger Bridge – FRSC Promises / Meet Ajala The Traveller: A Nigerian Traveller Who Toured The World On A Vespa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Opinionated: 3:07pm On Mar 01, 2018
The Northern region of Nigeria offers numerous attractions for tourists. And besides visiting the tourist-worthy sites, travellers can also enjoy tasty traditional food of the north. Although the food of the region is not considered as the primary reason for its popularity, one cannot ignore the fact that the Northerners have contributed richly to Nigeria’s national food identity. Below, Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares traditional foods of the Northerners.

Burabisco

A traditionally made couscous meal common to Northern Nigeria, especially in Maiduguri, Burabisco is loved and enjoyed by many. Usually paired with spicy stew of meat and vegetables, its rich ingredients categorize it among luxurious dishes in the region.

Miyan Kuka

Miyan Kuka is certainly the most famous northern Nigerian soup and translated as “Boabab leaf soup”. The green draw-soup is made from ground baobab leaf and special spices, preferably ‘Yaji’ – a mixture of ground pepper, ginger, garlic and other seasonings/herbs.

Tuwon Dawa

This is a side dish made with ground guinea-corn made thick and cassava. It is best eaten with soups like Kuka and okra. This meal is unique majorly because it is best prepared with firewood.

Tuwon Shinkafa

This mouth-watering dish is possibly the most popular foods in the Northern part of Nigeria. It is also very palatable and widely embraced by other cultures in the country. The meal consists of thick rice pudding and spicy sauce. If you are visiting the region, try this meal to broaden the spectrum of your taste. And once tried, you may find it hard to resist the temptation of re-ordering.

Pate

A dish usually prepared with ground corn or rice, cooked with vegetables, tomatoes, onions, pepper, garden egg, locust beans, groundnut, biscuit bone, meats minces and sometimes, assorted meat parts, Pate is largely consumed in Kaduna, Nassarawa, Plateau and other Northwestern states. This dish is primarily porridge and is an all-time favourite liked by almost all age groups.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/tasty-foods-northern-nigeria-traveller/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Boomboost(m): 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
Wow, some threads were destined for fp. After 5minutes and no comment, this got here...
All 7 nlers below commented at the same time but I got the number 1 spot. Ah! cheesy

Anyway, Suya is from the North na, and it is a food. It can be filling especially when very spicy. �

How good do these Northern food look?

Pics or I don't believe you cheesy

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
I can't wait to be in that part of the country once again...... after 12 years!
Good tasty food and Very friendly people (atleast the part I went to ).

@OP, give us some pictures of the foods please. A picture speaks more than a thousand words.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Forceup(f): 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
No, I will pass..

The North doesn't know how to cook... The only thing I could eat there is Kilishi and Suya..

Only Igbo, Cross River, Uyo and a few Yoruba women knows what a good meal is...

sad sad sad

122 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by sorextee(m): 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
True. Especially burabisco. Its our native food in borno state. grin. Under five minutes, e Don ready.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by TaioSpencer: 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
This is a lazy writeup. No pictures

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by stefanweeks: 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
No thank you

I would just stick to noodles

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by wisestman(m): 3:12pm On Mar 01, 2018
what happened to Kuli Kuli and Kilishi angry angry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by omocalabar(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
does anyone in a rightful state of mind still travel up north for leisure?............hate speech come and catch me

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by handbagss(f): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
kunun Geda is my favourite

15 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Phelix01(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
No comment

1 Like

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by nairavsdollars(f): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
Nothing like a chilled fura da nunu

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by SlimChizzy4(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
no pictures?

2 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
Tasty or sh**ty??
These foods are not that good my friend.

Maybe you want to put something down for the North.

12 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by PMWSpirit(m): 3:13pm On Mar 01, 2018
Well i like the fact that OP said IF, bc as for me and my family it will never happen

11 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by omocalabar(m): 3:14pm On Mar 01, 2018
f
Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by charijee(f): 3:14pm On Mar 01, 2018
No pictures undecided

5 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by ZombieBuster: 3:14pm On Mar 01, 2018
Fura de nunu

Tuwo shinkafi grin

Daura agog for Buhari return

4 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by afbstrategies: 3:15pm On Mar 01, 2018
Two things for me.

1. Fura de nunu

2. Magani Gb*ra Ntashi cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 01, 2018
I can easily get all these in Agege... grin

2 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by charijee(f): 3:16pm On Mar 01, 2018
TaioSpencer:
This is a lazy writeup. No pictures
Very lazy....unresearched writeup

5 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Hemanwel(m): 3:17pm On Mar 01, 2018
Hausa/Fulani food, most times, are repulsive to the sight and tasteless.

BTW:

Please o, how do I get my PVC? I registered in Benin City since 2010 but relocated to Lagos before the 2011 general elections. Up till this moment, I still haven't gotten it. I couldn't re-register prior to the 2015 general elections due to my tight schedules then.
Posterity will never forgive me if I do not take part in voting out this APC government come 2019. Another four years of Buhari as President of Nigeria is better imagined than witnessing it

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by mespusinglez(m): 3:17pm On Mar 01, 2018
And It Reach Front Page Nawa o
Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Opinionated: 3:18pm On Mar 01, 2018
Check-out the pictures

1 Like

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 01, 2018
Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by sekem: 3:19pm On Mar 01, 2018
Please if you don't have strong mind, don't ever near that miyan kuka!

That black soup of a concoction can ruin you in so many ways more than you can ever imagine

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 01, 2018
where is kilishi? fura da nono nko? where you keep waina or masa? your list no even contain self. �

5 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by aylipple: 3:20pm On Mar 01, 2018
What sort of jankara journalism is this? You're talking northern delicacies, tasty ones for that matter & there's no suya/kilishi? Masa/waina?

9 Likes

Re: Tasty Foods For The Northern Nigeria Traveller by Mariangeles(f): 3:20pm On Mar 01, 2018
Opinionated:
The Northern region of Nigeria offers numerous attractions for tourists. And besides visiting the tourist-worthy sites, travellers can also enjoy tasty traditional food of the north. Although the food of the region is not considered as the primary reason for its popularity, one cannot ignore the fact that the Northerners have contributed richly to Nigeria’s national food identity. Below, Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares traditional foods of the Northerners.

Burabisco

A traditionally made couscous meal common to Northern Nigeria, especially in Maiduguri, Burabisco is loved and enjoyed by many. Usually paired with spicy stew of meat and vegetables, its rich ingredients categorize it among luxurious dishes in the region.

Miyan Kuka

Miyan Kuka is certainly the most famous northern Nigerian soup and translated as “Boabab leaf soup”. The green draw-soup is made from ground baobab leaf and special spices, preferably ‘Yaji’ – a mixture of ground pepper, ginger, garlic and other seasonings/herbs.

Tuwon Dawa

This is a side dish made with ground guinea-corn made thick and cassava. It is best eaten with soups like Kuka and okra. This meal is unique majorly because it is best prepared with firewood.

Tuwon Shinkafa

This mouth-watering dish is possibly the most popular foods in the Northern part of Nigeria. It is also very palatable and widely embraced by other cultures in the country. The meal consists of thick rice pudding and spicy sauce. If you are visiting the region, try this meal to broaden the spectrum of your taste. And once tried, you may find it hard to resist the temptation of re-ordering.

Pate

A dish usually prepared with ground corn or rice, cooked with vegetables, tomatoes, onions, pepper, garden egg, locust beans, groundnut, biscuit bone, meats minces and sometimes, assorted meat parts, Pate is largely consumed in Kaduna, Nassarawa, Plateau and other Northwestern states. This dish is primarily porridge and is an all-time favourite liked by almost all age groups.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/tasty-foods-northern-nigeria-traveller/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44
I'd like to see pictures to know what they look like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

He Was Deported On Arriving UK. / Nigerian Stowaways Filmed Hiding In A Europe-Bound Ship On The Sea (Pics/Video) / See The Overloaded Car Impounded By Karota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.