Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,981 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

On The Petition Against Bb-naija - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / On The Petition Against Bb-naija (482 Views)

The Gangs Of Lagos: Indigenes Petition NFVCB Over Defamation Of Isale Eko, Eyo / Leaked Video: BB Naija Housemate Kaisha Fingers Herself In The House / Game Of Thrones Petition: Over 700, 000 Fans Want Season 8 Remade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Petition Against Bb-naija by smilek(m): 11:45pm On Mar 05, 2018
I saw a petition going round on social media asking the Nigerian National Assembly to ban the airing of the TV reality show, Big Brother Naija (BB Naija) and I differ in opinion with the proponents of the petition. I will explain why.

First, let me clarify that I do not watch the series, I do not think I will spare my time whether now or in the future to watch it, yet I will not ask for a legislation for its ban. Why? Simple. A TV show is both entertainment and business. Business thrives only when there is sustained patronage and a TV series lasts only when the viewership is sustained.

This means that what needs to change is not essentially the programme but the interest shown by Nigerians in the programme. If the programme is starved of viewership, it would die a natural death.

So, I say again, beyond the sanctimonious heckling, have we asked ourselves about what went wrong with us as a people? Not too long ago, families would gather around their TV sets to watch episodes of popular soap operas: Cock Crow At Dawn, Checkmate, Ripples, Fuji House of Commotion, Behind the Cloud, New Masquerade, Samanja, Jagua, Village Headmaster etc These were enjoyable by all family members and there were sensible themes therein. If the viewership choices are shifting in degenerative manner, then it is not a piece of legislation that is required but value reorientation of the people.

There is a question I want to ask the proponents of the petition and I will like their honest response: if you want to buy a product and you see the face of Oladapo Ashiru or Ben Okri and another with the face of Tuface Idibia or Olamide which will you buy? The answer is obvious as most do not even know who Ashiru and Okri are let alone how they look like, yet Ashiru is a renowned Nigerian obstetrician and Okri a renowned writer/poet. Both very educated (Ashiru is even a professor).

So, before you send out some holier-than-thou petition, first ask: do I have good values myself? Do truly valuable things catch and retain my attention? If yes, then by all means send out the petition; if no, take a deep breath and calmly say "change begins with me" (that is, beyond the political sloganeering).

Value system is very important. Some people value sports and others don't; yet sports rake in trillions of dollars in revenue worldwide. In the strictest sense of the word, football can be a complete waste of time and money: for instance, you stay awake to watch a game of football that lasts for about two hours and at the end of the game, both teams end up with a barren draw. Yet, because football - like other entertainments - thrives on followership, the patronage sustains the vanity.

In closing, let me narrate what happened in Katsina State House of Assembly in 1992/93. A bill for the prohibition of sales, usage and advertisement of alcoholic beverages was brought before the Assembly. The bill was debated and on the day it was to be passed, most members of the Assembly hung around the Assembly complex but did not enter the chambers for plenary. So, while they did not want to appear before their constituencies as people who drink, they knew deep down in their hearts that it was a piece of legislation that would affect them personally. So, as this petition is being sent to the National Assembly, remember the Katsina scenario and what the reaction of the National Assembly members may be.

David obasa
Re: On The Petition Against Bb-naija by IME1: 12:08am On Mar 06, 2018
Bros David
I pray I fully reply u wen I have time and I'm not sleepy
But, don't be too general or have a defeatist outlook.

Meanwhile alcohol is other sold in Katsina oh
The 1992 ish was delayed it eventually happened.

Anyway...
If na coke I want drink I no go care who dem put for label oh.
That year I join find my name for coke bottle oh.
You will be surprised how many people look up to intellectuals and professionals as role models and are fans to.

People like Dr Sid who performed last eviction na dentist, but even if his fame came from music not dentistry im still be person
On the contrary I have respect for persons being in God's image and recipients of God's love than what they have achieved.

If there's a bad role model out there that promotes scarring of the body, reduction in immune system and natural pigment, abuse of food, alcohol and drugs, or promotes destruction of family life, marriage, sacredness of purity or promotes toutism, rebellion, craze, I won't hate them, but I will hate what they do.

So dear David,
I don't know about the bbn petition oh, but I wish the petitioners every success. We wey dey rant on NL, no b so society they change, na action.

Re: On The Petition Against Bb-naija by MicheyJ1: 12:46am On Mar 06, 2018
All of you complaining about big brother naija are useless. No one forced you to watch it. I see y'all complaining about the show. You hate the show but always run into BBN threads to comment jobless people. With all the problems in Nigeria you want the house of assembly to delibrate on BBN instead of treating real problems.
Re: On The Petition Against Bb-naija by MicheyJ1: 12:56am On Mar 06, 2018
IME1:
Bros David
I pray I fully reply u wen I have time and I'm not sleepy
But, don't be too general or have a defeatist outlook.

Meanwhile alcohol is other sold in Katsina oh
The 1992 ish was delayed it eventually happened.

Anyway...
If na coke I want drink I no go care who dem put for label oh.
That year I join find my name for coke bottle oh.
You will be surprised how many people look up to intellectuals and professionals as role models and are fans to.

People like Dr Sid who performed last eviction na dentist, but even if his fame came from music not dentistry im still be person
On the contrary I have respect for persons being in God's image and recipients of God's love than what they have achieved.

If there's a bad role model out there that promotes scarring of the body, reduction in immune system and natural pigment, abuse of food, alcohol and drugs, or promotes destruction of family life, marriage, sacredness of purity or promotes toutism, rebellion, craze, I won't hate them, but I will hate what they do.

So dear David,
I don't know about the bbn petition oh, but I wish the petitioners every success. We wey dey rant on NL, no b so society they change, na action.
How does banning BBN help your life ?
The show helps in bringing different Nigerians from different ethnic groups and putting them in one house so as to learn to Live and tolerate each other.
Re: On The Petition Against Bb-naija by IME1: 1:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
MicheyJ1:

How does banning BBN help your life ?
The show helps in bringing different Nigerians from different ethnic groups and putting them in one house so as to learn to Live and tolerate each other.

And does this help your life?
Swerve

(1) (Reply)

#bbnaija: Anto, Khloe And Lolu Has Been Evicted / See The Reason Cee-c Is So Obsessed With Tobi (video) / #bbnaija: Atiku Congratulates Miracle On Winning Big Brother Naija 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.