Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl (2322 Views)

After Math Of The Talented 13 Yrs Old Boy. / 9-year-old Girl Gives Birth To A Daughter In Mexico / Eiye Confraternity Celebrates 40 Yrs Of Committing Atrocities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by villous(m): 4:25pm On Apr 28, 2010
Women's groups in Nigeria are threatening to take legal action against a senator, following reports he married a 13-year-old Egyptian girl.

Ahmad Sani Yerima, 49, is reported to have married her at the national mosque in Abuja several weeks ago.

Female senators have promised to table for debate a petition from the groups calling for Mr Sani to be reprimanded.

Meanwhile, Nigeria's human rights commission has begun an investigation into whether the marriage is legal.

The BBC's Caroline Duffield in Lagos says Mr Sani is refusing to speak publicly about the matter.

He was the governor of Zamfara state and oversaw the introduction of Sharia law - the first state in the north to do so in 1999.

The petition, handed over to a group of female senators on Tuesday, wants the identity of the child, her age, the circumstances of her entry into Nigeria and the dowry paid to her family to be investigated.

The women's rights groups believe Mr Sani has broken the law, pointing to the Child Rights Act of 2003.

"When you marry them out at this early stage, is it because it is viewed as a commodity that can be easily disposed of and a new one acquired," Nigeria's Punch newspaper quotes Mma Wokocha, the leader of the coalition protesting about the marriage.

Newspaper reports have also accused him of having previously married a 15-year-old girl in 2006.

A spokesman for Nigeria's senate has insisted that the chamber does not comment of the personal affairs of individual members.

Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by villous(m): 4:31pm On Apr 28, 2010
when will this people stop disgrasing us since they dont have a common shame
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by Adannanna(f): 5:26pm On Apr 28, 2010
This is the height of insult on womenhood. An old man getting married to his "great grand daughter". Its such a shame, let this shameless man be made to pay for this insult and wickedness.
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by asukson(m): 10:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
Abeg make de senate do sometin cos dis na child abuse, nd violation of human rites act. Fellow landers abeg make una bring dis Yerima cum my SHARIA COURT.
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by harakiri(m): 3:15am On Apr 29, 2010
Is this news? Or are you people just waking up to the harsh realities that have been going on for centuries? Which one?

Good morning nairalanders!
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by Marytos(f): 8:09am On Apr 29, 2010
This is such a shame!wat is wrong wit my country?
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by Trinity33(m): 9:42am On Apr 29, 2010
We kno hw 2 talk about sumtin wen it is new, after all dis "talks" ,what next? Yaradua is gredualy bcomin a 4goten isuea but rememba wen it wz new on ground, al dese so pple shld jst do sumtin instead of givin us d hop as if d senator wil b brougt 2 book.
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by Trinity33(m): 9:43am On Apr 29, 2010
We kno hw 2 talk about sumtin wen it is new, after all dis "talks" ,what next? Yaradua is gredualy bcomin a 4goten isuea but rememba wen it wz new on ground, al dese so pple shld jst do sumtin instead of givin us d hop as if d senator wil b brougt 2 book.
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by ficasej: 9:56am On Apr 29, 2010
At what age should a child ceases to be a child? According to http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm, the age of consent in Nigeria is 13 yrs. The women that are protesting should first protest against such constitution. Morally such acts may depict a height of gross child molestation, considering the child level of maturity. However, Nigeria’s acceptable age of consent might be saying otherwise. Priorities should be giving to fundamental issues otherwise awkwardness will linger.
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by oubi: 12:14pm On Apr 29, 2010
what do you think will be done, when the law makers are still the breakers.i wish this was the US he would be made to pay through his nose like MJ, but at that it is too shameful. what on earth does he want to use a baby for, baybe to present to baba when 1 of his wives is requested for. women and children, where are you all this is a big abuse.
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by guvna(m): 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2010
This is wrong, since he introduced sharia law, I hope they try him by sharia, find him guilty of child molestation and chop off his hands or d1ck, maybe his balls. Then we can say his ghosts finally caught up with him or maybe his balls
Re: Nigeria Senator Marries 13 Yrs Old Girl by salykely(m): 1:30pm On May 03, 2010
well, i understand that it look somehow abnormal, but if u look at the rate teenage girls expose themselves to sex then i feel the best option is marriage. i think those women should be more concerned about their personal problems, marriage is a legal union that deal with consent, if the girl consented then that is OK and they should save their time. they should be more concerned with the rate of abortion within teenage girls. my question to them is at what age where they disvirgined? and what is the mind set and her bodily development

16 Engineering Fails That Make You Wonder How These Engineers Received a Degree. / I Am Not Happy / Complete Laurence Anini Notorious Arm Robber History And Biography