Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? (8405 Views)

Lionel Messi Is My Role Model - SS2 MVP Winner Of 2015 Gtbank Principals Cup / Guaranty Trust Bank Set For Principals Cup Semi Finals At Onikan Stadium / Can You List All The Past Winners Of The Lagos Principals Cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waleleader(m): 8:07am On Mar 09, 2007
Today i reminisce on the Principals cup competitions in Lagos

I forget not the strong contenders in lagos Mainland, the likes of St Finbarrs college, Igbobi college and Cms Grammar school. I remember how St Finbarrs used to be one of the best, even tho they cheated sometimes. The only school that could take on Finbarrs were the lowly Akoka high school and St Timothys College.

Those were fun times. Anyone with any vivid memories?
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by olagoke1(m): 9:30am On Mar 09, 2007
sorry i have no ideal on this, i wish to be of help but no idea.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Lawijo(m): 10:45am On Mar 09, 2007
Walelead,
Those were the good, good old days men!
As a grammarian, (CMS Grammar school) I do reminisce often with my friends on this topic.
You know, it was the principal cup that brought spectular footballers as; Henry Nwosu, Stephen Keshi, Paul Okoku, Wakilu Oyenuga etc to limelight.
I don't know how deeply involved you were. But I do remember like yesterday, all the logistic preparation going into organising the supporters clubs. Hiring Molues / Danfos to convey students to the stadiums to support their teams. And all the singing and chanting to gear up your team. Then, as youths, we had something sportive and social flowing out of an educational setting / organisation that we could identify with and were very proud of. Looking back, one cannot but help observing that Nigeria has changed a great deal and not for the better.
I do remember the competitiveness between us (CMS) and St.Finbarrs. We were neighbours and at the same time competitors. Apart from the educational achievements: like which shool had the best results, and higher number of admissions into higher institutions, the principal cups was like the factor to seal that sentiment of superiority.
We should not forget other major schools that contributed substantially to the success of the pricipal cup phynomenom then. Schools like; ICY (Igbobi college), St. Gregory' college, Baptist academy (Baptakads), Anwaru Islam etc.
The joy and sportive performances were occassionally overshadowed by violence, but overall, the positive impact it had on our lives then, is a life-long one!
Wale men, nice one! You made my day with this. Thanks.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Shinor(m): 11:44am On Mar 09, 2007
Wale this is the kind of topics that make old men cry. Nuff said already about the logistics-the hiring of danfo, Molue etc. It was a thing of pride to see your school team players coming down from the air conditioned school coaster.
I spent 1 year in Zumratul Islamiyya(not an al Quaedda training camp) and the only 2 things the school was renowned for was Principal's Cup Violence and Football. We produced the great Haruna Ilerika. Paul Okoku was 2 yrs my senior before going to Finbarrs. So was Sunday Benson. Friday Ekpo was almost a father when i met him there. He was the only man in the world who bore the names Monday and Friday. Then i left for Jibril Martins. And as soon as i saw this topic, my raced to 1982 Q-Finals. Jibril Martins School 3( later Iponri High School) V the Mighty CMS. Goalless for a long time only for CMS to nick it 1-0. Jibril's Keeper was Flying Eagles Fatai Alabi. It was while at Jibril Martins that i met with Yaya Okoronwata( Tarilla's Kid brother) through whom i later met Tarilla.
Nuff Memories- I no gree read because of Football.
Remember CKC Onitsha who went on to win the World Secondary school soccer competition?
Thanks for this topic, God Bless You richly.
may you draw out many more topics of like manner.
Such as Litt Day( Literary and Debating Society Day), Nna. That na another day's topic as my pastor will say.
Principal's Cup was to me at that time, more exciting than the champions league.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by ronnieslimz(f): 2:14pm On Mar 09, 2007
hmnn. . interesting, more peeps!!
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by kitaun(m): 2:28pm On Mar 09, 2007
Geez!! What a thread! Wetin I wan talk again? Though I schooled in Ogun state and we had our fair share but meen Principal's cup in Lag was sum'thing else, how can I forget the rivalry in the mid 80s downwards between St Finbarrs Akoka, CMS Lagos, St Greg's college, Obalende Igbobi College, Yaba *more my fave team cos the principal was my pastor* Wale, u be correct omo eko jare!
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Blow(m): 3:05pm On Mar 09, 2007
Great!

I witness the intrigues of the
principal cup in the late 80's

When my alma mater Lagos Baptist Academy a.k.a Aka,
Baptacad was a prominent team,

Aka was to meet Igbobi in the 1988 quater-finals.

Some Aka boys went towards the Igbobi
end of Ikorodu road to prevent Igbobi supporters
from attending the match at Vaughn in Maryland.

The report of the violent clash reached Aka
and the principal had to call an assembly
where the students were warned against
getting involved in violence.

I think Aka won the match eventually,
and lost to CMS in the semi-finals thru penalty.

Bestman and Angler were two of Aka popular
players.

But the competition was banned in the early 90's
because of hooliganism and violence.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by whitelexi(m): 4:39pm On Mar 09, 2007
I remember in either 1995 or 96, we (St. gregs) played St. Finbars on Arch Bishop Okojie's 50th birthday, a match that had me all bruised and injured but the glory from defeating a finbars college team (made up of old old men with big big yam on their feet), with an average team (of ss1/ss2 and very few ss3 students in the team) all dressed in the brazilian colours, THAT was AWESOME.

We got a third minute goal from attacker Ik Ozigbu (my partner in crime) and had to defend it throughout the game with my humble self (in goal) pulling so many precise saves that guaranteed we were kept in it!

And the fact that the match was shown on news and after the news with comentators analysing my saves and his goal!. . .   I felt like a hero grin grin grin
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Christino(m): 6:50pm On Mar 09, 2007
Ah my only memories are the side attractions, the fights, "Leventis" and Co. Alimosho, Labasco and Igbobi were known to be assassins grin
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by akara(m): 8:32pm On Mar 09, 2007
Those were the days oooo, just remembered the good days. Anyone from Mainland High Sch, in the land?

and what´s happened to the Principals Cup now?
Anyone know.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waleleader(m): 1:04pm On Mar 10, 2007
Yes lagosians tell your stories with pride. I will still talk about the times i was beaten half dead by Finbarrs and Igbobi boys but the violence of principals cup was one of the exciting side attractions. you can be assured of a fight whenever you hear names like

igbobi college,Baptsacad, Finbarrs, Denton grammar school ebute mettea, Ago egba
Cms grammar school (and all the schools in their big compound)
Jubril martins, Anwarul islam, Zumratul islamiya, Birch freeman
saka tinunbu, ansarudeen, Angus memorial in Somolu,

In Ogun state,  we have Adeola odutola, Ijebu Ode grammar school, Muslim college (MUCE), baptist boys etc
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waleleader(m): 1:07pm On Mar 10, 2007
i was not good enough to make my school team, mercenaries ruled the teams
all schools use mercernaries especially the big names listed above
so @whitelexxi, since you were a member of gregory's team, tell us about Mercenaries grin grin
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by whitelexi(m): 1:48pm On Mar 10, 2007
Gregs never used mercenaries during my time, i remember almost all the members of the football team. We had a senior and juniour team and each was the bomb, even when the senior played the junior, it was difficult to distinguish who was senior and who was junior because both teams were really good.
We didnt need mercenaries but i know for sure that some of our day-student players were in local clubs, the boarding house team members - like me, were fully in school and had no clubs grin
we only trained daily during our sports times. It was awesome to beat all those schools with a very young team grin
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Blow(m): 2:24pm On Mar 11, 2007
Bapstacad didnt have the need for merceneries
We had grown boys in our HSC(Higher School Certificate)
Classes then
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Segesexy: 9:15pm On Mar 11, 2007
Gosh, Principals cup was indeed like Champions League.Some big names comes to mind when we talk abt the P/Cup, St Finbarrs,CMS,Igbobi Grams,Aka,etc and come down town we had Anwaru Islam,Labasco ,and OUR own Lafro Grams, The aftermath na the koko gangan.I remembered one time a fan went into the field of play and forced the ref to award a goal to Anwaru Islam against my sch Lafro Grams then in our own back yard ni o, Omo the fight went on for almost 5 hrs non stop ni o,some of us had to take refuge at Ifako Intl till late in the nite, This wass about 15 yrs ago and two years after dat we met again and now it was at Agege Stadium and it ended 2-1 in their favour and despite the fact dat we lost the game we danced all the way back to school,
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waleleader(m): 9:29pm On Mar 11, 2007
@segesexy, welcome to Nairaland. More stories abeg
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Shinor(m): 1:18pm On Mar 12, 2007
Had to come back here and BIG UP all the contributors. Wale BIG UP (that is if its not BIG already)!
Was first uncomfortable to discuss the violence that was attached to the Principal's cup but seeing that it has been mentioned by nearly all the contributors, let the games begin!
Was in Zumratul When we relocated to Ikorodu and had to stamp our authrority in that territory cos nuff bad boy schools like Nazareth were running things there.
So we met Oriwu High School at Epe Grammar School Grounds- I CANT EVEN REMEMBER WHO WON but the fight that ensued went on forever.
As earlier said, Zumratul's ex students ( who had by now graduated into armed bandits etc) came prepared. And dealt with the Oriwu students badly.
On Mercenaries, everyone used mercenaries. Someone said Gregs didn't use mercenaries - well i go wait for the FIFA white paper into THE USE OF MERCENARIES IN PRINCIPALS CUP COMPETITIONS IN NIGERIA . Until then i will continue to maintain that mercenaries were widely used by all and sundry.
Yes having HSC helped a number of schools as they were able to extend the playing days of some of their players. For those that didn't have HSC, we just used to say ( they are retaking their Certi-GCE).
Nuff respect to the Principals who were commited to the development of the beautiful game
Man like Mr Olowu- CMS. God Bless
Mr Omoera- Gregs. Charlie and Victor's Dad.- God Bless You.
Father Slaterry- Finbarrs. God Bless.
These men were better than Alex ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho. Trust me, They ran things.
Remember that guy that used to ride a horse from Anwar Ul Islam? Can't remember their Principal's name but together they won BAD BOYSOF THE PRINCIPALS CUP category.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by RuuDie(m): 2:51pm On Mar 12, 2007
yo' Walelead cool cool, good of u 2 bring dis up so many of us c'ld turn back d hands of time & re-live somma' those glorious Sec. School days.

u definitely was right 'bout St Finbarrs; dem peeps sure did know how to win a game off d field of play!
i remember one time my school - Gbaja Boys (if u're outside S/lere, i'm sure u've never heard of it - an immensely popluar school in S/lere 4 all d wrong reasons) did so well in d junior cadre of d cup in d S/lere zone & won d right to rep S/lere @ d zonal level & was drawn against Finbarrs.

prior 2 match day, we was informed that we was supposed 2 be d home team & dat meant d match shoulda held somewhere in S/lere but a day 2 d tie, venues was switched 2 Onikan - imagine dat & we're supposed 2 be @ home there!!!
on match day, we walk onto d field of play wearin identical sets of jerseys (white shirts actually) & ref points in our direction sayin if we don't have another set of jerseys we'd have 2 play topless - @ 4pm under blistenin lagos sunlight!
as if 2 add injury 2 d insult, we lost 2 blatant dubious officiatin - ain't dat a bctih? dat game has got 2 be d one football match dat's got d highest number of offside calls against one team in d history of football - it was almost like d ref was a 1-man orchestra, dat whistle sure worked its worth dat evening!
inspite of dis, it was an enjoyable day - we just wanted 2 play not mindin d scoreline; but i guess it wasn't so 4 our opponents!
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waleleader(m): 3:14pm On Mar 12, 2007
THE DAY I WAS ALMOST KILLED AT ST FINBARRS COLLEGE AKOKA

I was in Jss2/3 and felt confident enough  to go watch a principals cup tie between my school (St Timothys College) and St finbarrs college at thier school field (most matches were played at Finbarrs field). The match starts at 2:30 pm and i had a class until 2:00, so i decided to have my last class and meet up with the school entourage later on since finbarrs was just a few minutes away from Timothys via Unilag shortcuts.

i arrived at Finbarrs at about 2:45 and i was shocked to find all my school mates in front of Finbarrs gate instead of being  on the field.

VERDICT: Finbarrs bouncers planned to prevent us from entering thier school premises knowing fully well that the rule states that if a team is Ten or more minutes late, then the team on field would be declared winners (walk over). Our sports coach tried his best to gain access to no avail and there was no one to inform the authorities that we were being denied access (No mobile phones in the 90's)

One of my class mates who was an ex-pelled Finberian told me of a short cut through a broken fence somewhere. We made our journey and after about 180 degrees round the fence, we sneaked in through the hole in the wall into a jungle. I was excited at least to be inside Finbars as we proceeded towards the civilised parts of the premises. In an instant flash, some monstrous looking guys in Finbarrs descended on us. We had been arrested for breaking into thier school and the fine was death. I leave the rest of the story to your imagination. I dont even remember what happened to the school team, all i know is that Finbarrs progressed on to the next level  grin grin

Igbobi story yet to come; Watchout cool
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Bruekeleen: 9:35pm On Mar 12, 2007
Shinor:

Had to come back here and BIG UP all the contributors. Wale BIG UP (that is if its not BIG already)!
Was first uncomfortable to discuss the violence that was attached to the Principal's cup but seeing that it has been mentioned by nearly all the contributors, let the games begin!
Was in Zumratul When we relocated to Ikorodu and had to stamp our authrority in that territory because nuff bad boy schools like Nazareth were running things there.
So we met Oriwu High School at Epe Grammar School Grounds- I CANT EVEN REMEMBER WHO WON but the fight that ensued went on forever.
As earlier said, Zumratul's ex students ( who had by now graduated into armed bandits etc) came prepared. And dealt with the Oriwu students badly.
On Mercenaries, everyone used mercenaries. Someone said Gregs didn't use mercenaries - well i go wait for the FIFA white paper into THE USE OF MERCENARIES IN PRINCIPALS CUP COMPETITIONS IN NIGERIA . Until then i will continue to maintain that mercenaries were widely used by all and sundry.
Yes having HSC helped a number of schools as they were able to extend the playing days of some of their players. For those that didn't have HSC, we just used to say ( they are retaking their Certi-GCE).
Nuff respect to the Principals who were commited to the development of the beautiful game
Man like Mr Olowu- CMS. God Bless
Mr Omoera- Gregs. Charlie and Victor's Dad.- God Bless You.
Father Slaterry- Finbarrs. God Bless.
These men were better than Alex ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho. Trust me, They ran things.
Remember that guy that used to ride a horse from Anwar Ul Islam? Can't remember their Principal's name but together they won BAD BOYSOF THE PRINCIPALS CUP category.

Those great men (Mr. Olowu, Mr. Omoera, Father Slaterry et-al) u mentioned made scouting in the EPL look like baby stuff. Come to think of it though, there were some "good" fights and "bad" nasty fights in the good old principal cup. Good fight for Territorial supremacy, and bad nasty fight that comes aroungd football hooliganism and rascality. You laugh about some of the fights now when you reminiscence about it. Some of these fights made some though looking dude u think was all that, a house mice. BTW, how come that during the good old principal cup there were some very old dudes (in their mid 20s and early 30s) from the east who came to Lagos and claimed that they were like in their teens just to feature in the principal cup. My man, u need to see their legs. One of these dudes put me out cold during try-outs.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waleleader(m): 11:50am On Mar 13, 2007
Just like others before have done, may i also say a BIG thank you to all those that contributed to the success of the principals cup competion and all other grassroot youth football events back then.

Rev. Father Dennis J. Slattery of St. Finbarrs

Mr Olowu (heard a lot about him back then)

Principal Martins of Igbobi College Yaba and ANCOPSS

All ANCOPSS officials (All Nigerian conference of principals of secondary schools) Lagos chapter

The coach of St Finbarrs (95-2000). Too bad i forgot his name

Engr Funsho Williams (deceased)

Aliu Babs Fafunwa, national president of PTA

and of course, Dr Amos Adamu (Baba ewe of Lagos)

More blessings
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by merald(m): 6:33pm On May 23, 2009
Just back from the Teslim Balogun Stadium where my alma Newland Secondary School Tolu, just won the finals of the Lagos State Principal's Cup beating the school from Agege 2-0, the march was watched by the Lagos state Governor, Mr Fashola, his deputy Mrs sarah, Obas, Local govt. chairmen etc. Congrats Newland Secondary School.
Another memory has been added.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by RuuDie(m): 6:11am On May 25, 2009
merald:

Just back from the Teslim Balogun Stadium where my alma Newland Secondary School Tolu, just won the finals of the Lagos State Principal's Cup beating the school from Agege 2-0, the march was watched by the Lagos state Governor, Mr Fashola, his deputy Mrs sarah, Obas, Local govt. chairmen etc. Congrats Newland Secondary School.
Another memory has been added.

you try oh!

Don't know if i'll ever have the balls to go back and watch any of such games!

1 Like

Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by merald(m): 5:29pm On May 25, 2009
you try oh!Don't know if i'll ever have the balls to go back and watch any of such games!
/quote]
I didn't think I could attend either, but sometimes one has go take a break from the normal routine of work and connect back to the basis.
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by Thinka: 10:37am On Dec 10, 2009
I think I know what has become of the Lagos State Principlas Cup,

Does anyone want to know?
Re: Memories Of The Principals' Cup In Lagos? by waladis(m): 2:43am On Jun 25, 2010
Good old days  grin , especially the side attraction. Is the tournament still existing

(1) (Reply)

2019/2020 NPFL Season Begins November 3 / Top 5 Sports Blogs In Nigeria / Nairalanders Overcome Biased Online reporting on Nigeria !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.