Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,159 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. (1887 Views)

Tell Us Your Car Fault Lets Assess And Fix Them / Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / REMOTE FAULT ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSIS GUIDE By AutoMoTech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 10:29pm On Mar 08, 2018
So while driving car gives a very faint click, just ignored and turned up stereo, but then got to the base of a hill where there's a check point, went through and barely 50m away car RPM suddenly rises and drops, then car goes off.
Cranks but won't start. Crank sound is now different.
No check engine light before now.
Opened engine oil refill cap, top timing chain isn't rotating; engine uses 2 chains, one for camshafts and another chain for crankshaft and oil pump.
When trying to start car the crankshaft turns for fraction of a second.

What could the fault be?
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by LeJeun3: 10:43pm On Mar 08, 2018

Since its Nissan, I humbly bow out....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by SmartToyota(m): 11:10pm On Mar 08, 2018
Gurus in the house, get in here.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by mayor2013: 2:58am On Mar 09, 2018
a Nissan? No synchronisation between camshaft and crankshaft. Timing is off already. Apart from clicking noise ignored what other sound did you hear any? Is this a DOHC?
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 4:38am On Mar 09, 2018
mayor2013:
a Nissan? No synchronisation between camshaft and crankshaft. Timing is off already. Apart from clicking noise ignored what other sound did you hear any? Is this a DOHC?

No other sound.
Yes, it's a DOHC.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:02am On Mar 09, 2018
Timing chain e have cut. Replace Cylinder head.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 8:07am On Mar 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:
Timing chain e have cut. Replace Cylinder head.

Nope, upon close inspection timing chain is intact.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:24am On Mar 09, 2018
timifakay:

you removed the timing chain cover?
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 8:25am On Mar 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

you removed the timing chain cover?

Didn't have to... Removed valve cover to look into it and everything was intact.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:27am On Mar 09, 2018
timifakay:

if you are certain, then let me try again.

I am assuming you have checked the usual.

So let me target the unusual.

Excessive carbon deposits in valve area, causing loss of compression.

Modified:

It will explain this

. Crank sound is now different.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 8:30am On Mar 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

if you are certain, then let me try again.

I am assuming you have checked the usual.

So let me target the unusual.

Excessive carbon deposits in valve area, causing loss of compression.

Modified:

It will explain this

I thought so too. But, no still...
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:33am On Mar 09, 2018
timifakay:

I thought so too. But, no still...

compression test results..... angry
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 8:46am On Mar 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

compression test results..... angry

Didn't do a compression test.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6803468_img20180309084055_jpegdd8e45990765f084d5fdd5f7803e606e
Went under the car while someone else tried to start it. Saw that flywheel and torque converter were turning, but engine wasn't.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6803467_img20180309084117_jpeg5d5f1441060ded30baa22bc326bffce9

Here's my most bizzare car fault ever.
Engine is a 1.0l CG10 by Nissan.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:59am On Mar 09, 2018
timifakay:

Didn't do a compression test.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6803468_img20180309084055_jpegdd8e45990765f084d5fdd5f7803e606e
Went under the car while someone else tried to start it. Saw that flywheel and torque converter were turning, but engine wasn't.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6803467_img20180309084117_jpeg5d5f1441060ded30baa22bc326bffce9

Here's my most bizzare car fault ever.
Engine is a 1.0l CG10 by Nissan.

Looking closely, the engine must have given signs that something was wrong.

Looks at the markings caused by contact between the flywheel and possible engine area.

Must have squeeked intermittently.

It's either that? Or you have been driving your 1.1liter engine assuming it is a V8 5.7liter engine

1 Like

Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by timifakay(m): 10:01am On Mar 09, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Looking closely, the engine must have given signs that something was wrong.

Looks at the markings caused by contact between the flywheel and possible engine area.

Must have squeeked intermittently.

It's either that? Or you have been driving your 1.1liter engine assuming it is a V8 5.7liter engine

Yea, a part chipped off and was stuck...

1 Like

Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by MrMoney55: 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2022
My car Volkswagen Touareg 2007 the key was in the ignition pot when I mistakenly remove the battery because the battery ran down the key didn't want to come out so I have to put a new battery to remove the key after I removed the key i wanted to start it and it refused to start the car again and the auto electrician says the key has lost memory that I should get a new one please is the anyone in the house that knows how much is a complete key
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by MedicH: 8:46pm On Sep 16, 2022
MrMoney55:
My car Volkswagen Touareg 2007 the key was in the ignition pot when I mistakenly remove the battery because the battery ran down the key didn't want to come out so I have to put a new battery to remove the key after I removed the key i wanted to start it and it refused to start the car again and the auto electrician says the key has lost memory that I should get a new one please is the anyone in the house that knows how much is a complete key

Wahala
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by code9(m): 12:09pm On Dec 10, 2022
MrMoney55:

You don't need to buy a new key. All you should do is to hook it up to VAG or ODIS to check the error on the Messy system. Then you can do an online update/reprogram of the key.
Re: Let's Troubleshoot This Car Fault. by code9(m): 12:09pm On Dec 10, 2022
MrMoney55:
You don't need to buy a new key. All you should do is to hook it up to VAG or ODIS to check the error on the Messy system. Then you can do an online update/reprogram of the key.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Back Axle And "Car Camber"? / UK Used Portable Car Jumpstarter / Picture Of An Old Skool Limousine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.