Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,412 members, 7,850,462 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:50 PM

Managing The Deadly Venom: Anger - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Managing The Deadly Venom: Anger (323 Views)

See The Damage People Are Experiencing After Taking The Deadly Covid 19 Vaccine / Coronavirus: Catholic Bishops Compose Special Prayer Against Deadly Virus / The Deadly Doctrine Of "Don't Judge Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Managing The Deadly Venom: Anger by Kingdombase(m): 12:50am On Mar 10, 2018
Anger can be defined as a normal human emotion usually characterized by antagonism towards something or someone you feel or think has done wrong to you. Anger could be a good thing because it could be a motivating agent to help you find solutions to something you’re not happy about. Mainly, anger could be dangerous if it is expressed excessively.

Anger like we earlier said; is a normal human emotion that could involve a strong uncomfortable or hostile response to what or who triggered the feeling. When a person feels his or her boundaries are being violated, they tend to react in an angry manner. Anyone experiencing anger will also experience certain physical conditions like increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, increased adrenaline level amongst others.

We are going to be looking at Anger from the biblical perspectives though. The Bible teaches in Ephesians 4: 26-27 that “be angry and do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your anger”. From the scripture we just read, we can see that even God knows that we will get angry someday at some point in our lives, but something else followed that confirmation of our normal emotion, God said “...and do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your anger”, God knows that anger is a normal thing, but our reaction when we get angry is solely our choice to make.

Anger expresses itself in different formats – sarcasm, frustrations, depressions, aggression, verbal and silent cursing, hatred, pride, etc

Though, Anger is a normal feeling just as love and happiness are, but it is not a gift from God. It is simply a device of the devil to distract us from something great. The devil uses this device to make us sin. It may interest you to know that God, Jesus Christ, Angels even the Holy Spirit gets angry too. This reveals that we are truly created in God’s image and likeness.

Let’s quickly glance through some scriptures that prove what we just read.

God Gets Angry Too:

Exodus 20: 4-5 – “you shall not make for yourself an idol or any likeness (from manifestation) of what is in Heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth [as an object to worship]. You shall not worship them nor serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous (impassioned) God [demanding what is rightfully and uniquely mine], visiting the iniquity (sin, guilt) of the fathers on the children, to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me”

1 kings 11: 9-11 – “the Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel. The Lord appeared to him twice and commanded him not to follow other gods. But he did not obey the Lord’s command. Therefore, the Lord said to Solomon, ‘since this has been your choice and you have kept neither my covenant not the statutes I commanded you, I will tear the kingdom from you and give it to your servant”.

Psalm 78:59 – “when God heard this, He was enraged and utterly rejected Israel”.

Psalm 7:11 – “A righteous judge is God, His anger ever awaiting those who refuse to repent”.

Exodus 4:14 – “at this, the Lord became angry with Moses and said, ‘Haven’t you Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know he speaks well. Look! He is coming to meet you”.

But, God gets angry each time a person or a nation goes against his initial plan for creation.

Jesus Christ Gets Angry Too:

Matthew 21:12 & Mark 11: 15-18 – “So Jesus went into the Temple and drove out all who were buying and selling in the Temple area. He overturned the tables of the money changers, and the stools of those who sold pigeons”.

Mark 3:5 – “Then Jesus looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart…”

Jesus Christ gets angry for the right reasons. His anger did not rise as a result of lame arguments or from selfish reasons. His anger had focus – injustice. Besides, Jesus Christ never lost control to anger. He mastered the art of mastery. And his anger had proper results.

Angels Get Angry Too:

Revelations 12: 7-8 – “war broke out in Heaven with Michael and his angels battling with the dragon. The dragon fought back with the angels, but were defeated and lost their place in Heaven”.

Exodus 23:21 – “be on your guard in His presence and listen to Him; do not rebel against the angel of the Lord, for He will not pardon your wrongdoing, because my name is in Him”.

When the Angels get angry, especially, Archangel Michael, it motivates Him fight evil.

The Holy Spirit Gets Angry Too:

Ephesians 4: 30-31 – “Do not sadden the Holy Spirit of God with which you were marked for the day of salvation. Do away with quarrelling, rage, anger, insults and every kind of malice”.

The Holy Spirit gets angered when we speak ill and abusive words. The Bible tells us not to grieve the Holy Spirit in us.

NB: Do not be quickly angered in your spirit, for anger lies in the bosom of fools (Ecclesiastes 7:9)…

Before you get angry unnecessarily, make sure that you’ve cross-checked the outcome and you’re okay with it, make sure you THINK about it properly before you act. Let us quickly look at an acronym that will help us to control and manage “ANGER”. The acronym; T-H-I-N-K.[center]
T – is it TRUTHFUL
H – is it HELPFUL
I – is it INSPIRING
N – is it NECESSARY
K – is it KIND and KNOWLEDGEABLE[/center]

Forms Of Anger
Anger comes in two (2) different forms, these are as follows
:

1. Personal Anger: This type of anger is stored up inside. It is a kind of anger that is bottled up within a person. A person can just get angry over a thing or a situation, and therefore the person would start exhibiting series of violent acts. This form of anger births emotions like jealousy, frustration, revenge, hatred, vendetta, low self-esteem, looking down on other people, etc. There are times when people just get angry over nothing. This kind of anger can cause serious health issues like high blood pressure, heart related issues, e.t.c.

Some biblical scriptures that can help us overcome this form of anger are listed below:
Colossians 3:8 – “Well then, reject them all: anger, fury, slander, evil intentions, malice and let no abusive words be heard from your lips”.

James 1:19-20 – “My beloved, be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for human anger does not bring about what is right before God”.

2. Anger that is fueled by others: In this form, two or more people are aggressively opposing against each other over an issue. Just as the PERSONAL ANGER, this could also lead to physical brawl where bodily harms and property destruction is inevitable.

We can control this by;

· Learning to answer softly, sensitively and carefully to people (Proverbs 15:1)
· Learning to drop an issue before it leads into a fight (Proverbs 17:14)
· By thinking and acting in accordance to what the Bible teaches (Romans 12:2)
· By using our discretion (Proverb 19:11)

How To Control Anger Before It Controls You

Learn to overlook unfriendly situations: Be wise to a point where you begin to overlook certain situations in life. Like my mum will always tell me, “son, don’t collect water from every rainfall”; that proverb has stuck to me like a leech. It is not everything that happens around you that will warrant you releasing your anger upon. There are certain times when you just need to pick up offenses thrown at you and simply dump them in the trash bin of love and forgiveness.
Identify and avoid your anger-triggers: By identifying things or people that gets you angry, you’ve moved a step closer to avoid being angry as you will do everything within your human reach to escape them. It’s impossible to avoid being angry, but you can decide on what makes you angry and how you will react to them.
Learn to defer anger: One of my mentors, Pastor David Adeoye made this statement and my head exploded. To defer a thing is to postpone that thing to a later date. When you defer anger to a later date, you’d end up not doing what you planned on doing when that set date comes. For instance, if your spouse gets you angry over whatever issue, just defer the anger (postpone your reaction) to the next 2 weeks and occupy yourself with something productive till then. When the set date comes, you will realize that you will not be able to do what you initially wanted to do when you were angered. Anger is like fire, when you don’t fuel it in time, it loses its strength till it fades out.
Avoid unnecessary arguments with hot tempered people: We all have different degrees of anger in us. So, it is better we rid ourselves of any discussion or argument that can lead to someone getting angry (especially you). Like we all know, evil communications corrupts good manners (Proverbs 22: 24-25). Avoid unhealthy arguments like a plague; they have a high tendency of getting you angry.
Watch your words carefully before you speak: Words are like seeds, they grow inside the listener’s sub consciousness. Only speak words that will soothe and heal, not kill and destroy. You can never take back a word when you’ve already let it out, therefore learn to pick your words carefully before you speak out (Ephesians 4: 29 & Proverbs 15:1).
Walk away from a hot scene: Walking away from a place where you sense the spirit of anger looming is not a sign of weakness but a pure sign of great wisdom. There are times when you feel anger building up within you, maybe when you are arguing with someone. The best thing to do is to gently walk away from that person or from that environment. Anger stirs up unpleasant problems that could have been simply avoided.
Learn not to expect too much from people: Frustrations could come into someone as a result of being rejected or dejected by people. When you expect too much from people, you could end up being frustrated. Frustrations in turn, can grow into Anger if not managed and controlled early and properly. Be patient with people, be appreciative of what and who they are, realize that people have their minds and as such they cannot always be shaped into what we want them to be. Be accommodation and be real. Translate expectations into mere desires, especially when dealing with humans.
Never hold grudges: Forgiveness is the key. There is no sin that is too much to be forgiven. We all go to God to ask for forgiveness on daily basis, but the only way we can obtain God’s forgiveness is when we as well, forgive others who have wronged us. It’s not just to forgive people’s shortcomings, it is also necessary we forget the shortcomings.
Don’t dwell on faults: Some people are very good at reminding themselves of the incident or people who got them angry. That is simply an unproductive energy; instead use that energy to focus on things that will help you be more productive in your daily dealings.
Never forget to ask God for help: No matter the situation we find ourselves in, we can always rely on the divine help of God. Constantly ask God to help you through any and every thing (Psalm 124:cool.

Conclusion
Anger destroys destinies. Many people have lost loved ones, jobs, meaningful relationships, and profitable opportunities, all because of anger. So many people are also wasting their youthful years languishing behind bars because of a crime they committed when they were angry. That is why it is very important for us to learn to control and manage that deadly venom in us called anger before it destroys us completely.

When we learn to control anger, we have then become wise, and when we become wise, we would be able to avert so many dangers and mishaps. ANGER is DANGER without the “D”.

Points To Remember

· Anger destroys destinies.
· Many people have lost loved ones, jobs, meaningful relationships, and profitable opportunities, all because of anger.
· When we learn to control anger, we have then become wise, and when we become wise, we would be able to avert so many dangers and mishaps.
· When you expect too much from people, you could end up being frustrated. Frustrations in turn, can grow into Anger if not managed and controlled early and properly.
· Walking away from a place where you sense the spirit of anger looming is not a sign of weakness but a pure sign of great wisdom.
· When you defer anger to a later date, you’d end up not doing what you planned on doing when that set date comes.
· Do not be quickly angered in your spirit, for anger lies in the bosom of fools.
· God knows that anger is a normal thing, but our reaction when we get angry is solely our choice to make.
· Human anger does not bring about what is right before God.

Prayer Point:
Father, I thank you for your patience in my life. I (mention your name), this day, declare that every form of anger, frustration, hatred, rage, wraith and resentments that resides in me begin to find their way out of me. I declare that whatever wasn’t planted by You in my life begin to lose their power over me. I hereby forgive all those who have sinned against me and all those who have influenced me to sin through these negative feelings. Let your love and peace rule in my life and in all my doings. I ask these through Jesus Christ who died for the salvation of the world. Amen.

To read more wonderful articles, kindly click on the link below...
www.kingdombase..com

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Am I Still Experiencing These Delays. / Prophet Abiara Ro Remarry At 75, Reveals Why He Retired As CAC General Evangelis / Curse For Disposing Outdated Christian Dailies And Customised Calenders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.