Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? (1930 Views)

Doctors Leaving UK To Work In Other Countries For Better Pay, Working Conditions / Nigerian Doctors: We Shed Tears Of Joy After Receiving First Pay In Saudi Arabia / Why Bother About Nigerian Doctors Leaving Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? by donestk(m): 10:14am On Mar 11, 2018
Sometime in 2015, as I was scrolling my Facebook feed, I saw " Chuks at Riyadh airport"

Chuks is my cousin whom the last time we spoke, was interning at Asaba federal medical centre.

Only last week, my Inlaw a medical doctor at lafia medical doctor announced to us that he's relocating to the kingdom with his wife and kids as he has been given a job offer in the oil rich country.

My curiosity is that why this mass exodus despite doctors acute shortage in Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? by amnesty7: 10:16am On Mar 11, 2018
And you couldn't ask Chuks and your in-law?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? by thesicilian: 10:20am On Mar 11, 2018
You can't kill yourself for a country that doesn't appreciate you.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? by eTECTIVe(m): 10:52am On Mar 11, 2018
Becos d pasture is greener over there for dem abi what else do U expect to hear? Dat dey are going for pilgrimage?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Doctors Leaving En Masse For Saudi Arabia? by whirlwind7(m): 11:51am On Mar 11, 2018
I was still serving in NYSC some years ago, when a senior colleague who resides in Saudi tried to get me a job there. After a few moments thoughts, I declined the offer.
A little over a year later, I gave it some serious thoughts, seeing how the health sector in Nigeria has gone into an almost absolute rot. I eventually relocated to Saudi, but the social life wouldn't let me function to the the best of my ability. I did the next best thing: move to UAE. The UAE suited me better. Even at that, I had to move on after a few years.
Now, you cannot by any stretch of the imagination compare the healthcare delivery in Saudi with Nigeria. There's no point.
To think that sometime in the 1960s, the king of Saudi Arabia came to Nigeria for medical treatment is mind blowing.
We have regressed so much as a country, even the devil thinks our case is extraordinary.

(1) (Reply)

Hiv Status Check / Doctor Pls Help Interprete This SFA Test / Hiv Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.